• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 Review Thread

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Arkage

Banned
Those mention of an open-world really concern me, otherwise it sounds great. I actually like the fact that they seem to be aiming closer to RE4.

Hopefully it's a Silent Hill type version of "open world" exploration, which I liked.

Overall glad to see decent reviews. I'll be buying this day 1, though it is kind of disappointing that the review says the difficulty has been toned down. The first game's first few sections were some of the hardest but most rewarding.

jacobeid

Banned
I liked the original so it sounds like I should put this on my radar. Likely a Black Friday purchase considering my backlog o.0

sphinx

the piano man
Now I'm kinda torn. Do I buy it day one and support a style of game that I love, or wait for the inevitable sales with the game seemingly on it's way to being a bomba? I'm not sure... :/

it's hard to say but for me personally, in a world with increased support for GaaS, with microtransactions and loot boxes and long-time devs heading in that direction, away from old-style single player games like this game, I'd think more than twice regarding whether I should buy games like these used or or at bomba bin prices or new.

dunno, maybe I am too dramatic but in any case, I will make sure to support with my wallet the kind of gaming I want to thrive whenever I can.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Yeah, this was the main thing I was concerned about as well. It doesn't sound like it turned out well so far. :/

When I posted that I hadn't read the thread, was surprised when I did read thru it no one else mentioned it. Linear games going open-world to any extent is usually an issue on GAF.

I hope not, I don't dislike RE4 but it's a stretch to even class is as a horror game

I personally class it as action-horror, I'm fine if TEW2 goes down this route, a more psychological horror version of RE4 is exactly what I wanted the first to be.

12-20 hours seems to be what you should be expecting, based on what difficulty you play on, if you do side-quests or not, take your time or not, etc.

So more or less the same range as the first one, I'm OK with that.

Skyr

Looks great so far. Also the reviews without a score ye sound very positive.

I hope I will be able to start the game later.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Yjynx

How is that shit talk? Seriously people get a grip for god's sake.

The explanation might be missing but it's fine to expected higher rates, it's sitting at 79 right now on OC and it's fine to pass up until sale.

So many feelings hurt with so little.
If he said it after we got the majority I might be a perfectly okay with it. He just left few word and gone.....

I saw so many poster for whatever reason really passive aggressive nowadays. "Why so triggered? Do I hurt your feeling? So sensitive!" I guess I'm becoming really old couldn't really keep up to the norm nowadays.

Ahasverus

Those scores are pretty good for a horror game. A Silent Hill game made after 4 was lucky to reach a 70 metacritic, and they were still good horror games.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Those mention of an open-world really concern me, otherwise it sounds great. I actually like the fact that they seem to be aiming closer to RE4.
It’s honestly kind of open world in the same way that Silent Hill is - you have a moderate sized town with lots of chasms preventing you from progressing with each destination featuring a more linear, carefully designed section. The main difference is that many buildings can be entered and explored for supplies and the world itself is far more deadly. There are objectives that can appear on a map but, again, it’s not unlike objective markers in Silent Hill on the map.

It’s not a sandbox game, that’s for sure.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It’s honestly kind of open world in the same way that Silent Hill is - you have a moderate sized town with lots of chasms preventing you from progressing with each destination featuring a more linear, carefully designed section. The main difference is that many buildings can be entered and explored for supplies and the world itself is far more deadly. There are objectives that can appear on a map but, again, it’s not unlike objective markers in Silent Hill on the map.

OK that makes me feel a lot better. While I have you, can you confirm any PS4 Pro support?

A yes/no would suffice :)

Peterthumpa

Hey John, any Pro support?

Shredderi

It's pretty damn hard for horror games to get 85+MC so I think this is pretty good. I mean Shadow of Mordor has 84MC. Fucking.Shadow.Of.Mordor. I don't really put that much stock in MC numbers.

Gator86

How is that shit talk? Seriously people get a grip for god's sake.

The explanation might be missing but it's fine to expected higher rates, it's sitting at 79 right now on OC and it's fine to pass up until sale.

So many feelings hurt with so little.

Enh, it's kind of expected for a review thread, sadly, and the fanbase for the original game was defensive as fuck. I remember just not bothering to go to the OT at all anymore after a while when it came out and people go hysterical over the smallest critcisms of it.

Scores seem pretty good overall. Nothing pushed it out of "wait for gamefly to send" territory so I'll probably play it at some point in the new few weeks.

kc44135

Hey dark10x, since you're with Digital Foundry, could you confirm if there's any PRO support. The back of the box doesn't list it.

Jacob4815

You're our only hope to know if there's PRO support! :D

Shari

If he said it after we got the majority I might be a perfectly okay with it. He just left few word and gone.....

I saw so many poster for whatever reason really passive aggressive nowadays. "Why so triggered? Do I hurt your feeling? So sensitive!" I guess I'm becoming really old couldn't really keep up to the norm nowadays.

And so what? He's still entitled to his reaction to the reviews whether you like it or not, he doesn't have to go through 3 paragraph explaining his thoughts for you to feel his opinion is worth being here.

It's funny you speak about passive aggressive answers when you've thrown in the thread "shit post" and now you play victim saying you're too old for a video game's forum climate. Ridiculous.

Just chill and stop being defensive when there's no reason to be.

Hmm about the scores I was expecting. I think I'll wait until Wolfenstein drops and see those scores plus wait for any potential PC fixes on this game.

Yjynx

And so what? He's still entitled to his reaction to the reviews whether you like it or not, he doesn't have to go through 3 paragraph explaining his thoughts for you to feel his opinion is worth being here.

It's funny you speak about passive aggressive answers when you've thrown in the thread "shit post" and now you play victim saying you're too old for a video game's forum climate. Ridiculous.

Just chill and stop being defensive when there's no reason to be.

I don't even own the first game,,,,, I'm mildly interested in this game....

But I know for sure that making drive away reactionary comment like that always turned the thread discussion to shit....

PS: stop any further discussion. This is already way off the line.

sphinx

the piano man
regarding metacritic expectations this is how I look at it

100-90: it was never ever going to happen in this plane of existence, so let's move on.

89-87
: Tango works should celebrate like they're football fans and their team won the world cup, dancing in the streets, balloons and confetti at their offices. EW3 approved right there.

86-84: Impressive results that should keep everyone in good spirits, celebrations and a pat in the shoulder from Bethesda are also due

83-80: Great, positive result, they can be very happy about it and go to sleep with piece of mind, Bethesda still pleased.What they've should be aiming/hoping from the get go and where it should land after all reviews are in

79-75 it's ok, solid, you got mixed results, some didn't like it. expect some people on the fence to buy it at a sale or later on.

75-below:
worse than the first one, give it up and close shop.

It's pretty damn hard for horror games to get 85+MC so I think this is pretty good. I mean Shadow of Mordor has 84MC. Fucking.Shadow.Of.Mordor. I don't really put that much stock in MC numbers.

RE 7 has a 86 and I enjoyed the hell out of that game. Really liked all I saw in those trailers they released. Can’t wait to play this!

Shari

But I know for sure that making drive away reactionary comment like that always turned the thread discussion to shit....

That's because reactionary fanboys, not because the reply per se has any infuriating content to it. People we have to accept that nowadays a 80 meta for a game can be perceived as low for a game from a big publisher.

You reply would have been understandable if he would have said "reviews are shit, ill buy this off the bargain bin a couple of weeks when it bombs" but his comment was veeeery far from that.

If you actually have no "feelings" for the game then it feels like it is you who wanted to drop a drive-by reactionary reply.

Edit: If people wanted to stop this then maybe there shouldn't have been 5-6 heated up replies to a 6-7 word post.

PS: stop any further discussion. This is already way off the line.
wow. how old are you? he made a reply to the thread on the most normal way and you cast you anger on him for nothing. one thing you are right, to stop feeding trolls (like you).

I have been waiting for this game for a long time, didn't even get sleep to play in the moment it releases! this and wolf 2 are the big games of the month imo.

ACG's given reason is kinda headscratcher though, basically the combat is not survival horror enough and bosses being killable by your arsenal is an immersion-breaker.

Hmmmm... interesting take. Wish all these reviews posted also what difficulty they played on.

ACG plays on all difficulties I believe, and he actually prefers difficult games.

Ok but they have only had the game for like 2.5 days, that's why I'm sure no one has played the game on all three difficuties or the unlocked difficuty, that's why I'd be nice to know for all reviews is all.

Personally being a huge horror fan myself. I'm more interested in folks like Dusk and others that both love the genre and liked/diskiked the first and see what some of the pros and cons are.

FaintDeftone

The first game was very highly anticipated for me due to Mikami's involvement and my love for horror games. However, it was a pretty big let down that I couldn't even push myself to finish.

I was going to pass on this one, especially since I found the photographer antagonist guy kinda dumb. Due to the positive buzz I've been hearing and the stupid cheap price of the PC version on CDKeys, I decided to give it a shot.

We'll see how it goes. Keeping my fingers crossed.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Very pleasantly surprised at the reviews. Hope the game is a commercial success as well.

Jake2by4

That's nice of you

Great scores for the game!
One for me and my cousin, he will enjoy it.

Ok but they have only had the game for like 2.5 days, that's why I'm sure no one has played the game on all thres difficuties or the unlocked difficuty, that's why I'd be nice to know for all reviews is all.

If you look on psnprofiles only one person completed the game on survival difficulty so far.

Top Bottom