• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 Review Thread

kromeo

Do I need to play the DLCs for the first game to be up to date on the story for this?

I'd at least read up on them, the company behind everything in the story doesn't even feature in the main game

If you do choose to play it there's an utter shit section in the first part far worse than anything else in the game, it took me like 2 hours to get through a 3 minute section

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

rtcn63

Three things matter to me as a TEW fan - atmosphere, combat, and difficulty. I never found the original scary, but I enjoyed the general uncaring of the characters and environmental weirdness. The combat was jank yet still visceral (bottle to the face -> sneak kill never gets old- is that still in TEW2?), and the difficulty (on your first run on Survival/subsequent on Nightmare) was in a mostly good spot.

Even though it was a significantly less polished title, I'd replay TEW over any of Naughty Dog's works (I've beaten/played everything but UC4) or the recent Tomb Raiders. (Rise is trash and I'll go to the grave defending that it is)

-MD-

Bethesda claims it's comparable to Akumu, confirm no one-hit deaths or anything, and have confirmed there's limited saves in the mode. However there's some 'big surprise' in Classic Mode they don't want to spoil apparently.

I think Akumu was essentially Nightmare mode w/ 1 hit kills so if you don't die in 1 hit this time then it's probably what I'm looking for.

I'm cool with limited saves.

Did people really just unload all their ammo on the garage boss fight in the original? I can totally understand why people would hate it if that’s the case. That fight is meant to be stealthed up until the final phase. The whole fight takes 4 rifle rounds, and then a small smattering of freeze bolts at the end and few more rifle rounds. It’s very fun if played how it was designed I thought. The bosses in the first were really well done and tense and I hope the same for the sequel.

I am liking how the reviews are looking so far. I think it’ll end up in the low 80’s which is pretty damn good I think. 45 minutes to go!

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Can someone who has played it tell me how scary it is? If it's on par with modern RE games then I might give it a shot. I think I can handle more but yeah...

derFeef

Did people really just unload all their ammo on the garage boss fight in the original? I can totally understand why people would hate it if that’s the case. That fight is meant to be stealthed up until the final phase. The whole fight takes 4 rifle rounds, and then a small smattering of freeze bolts at the end and few more rifle rounds. It’s very fun if played how it was designed I thought. The bosses in the first were really well done and tense and I hope the same for the sequel.

I am liking how the reviews are looking so far. I think it’ll end up in the low 80’s which is pretty damn good I think. 45 minutes to go!

That was one of the problems tho, at least for me. I was not always sure how an encounter is supposed to be tackled and I had to do a lot of trial and error, which was the most frustrating part.

rtcn63

Can someone who has played it tell me how scary it is? If it's on par with modern RE games then I might give it a shot. I think I can handle more but yeah...

I've only seen the first chapters- like the original, not as scary as even the first half of RE7.

That was one of the problems tho, at least for me. I was not always sure how an encounter is supposed to be tackled and I had to do a lot of trial and error, which was the most frustrating part.

The majority of "fair" survival horror games are about figuring out how to correctly approach a situation. Like taking on a Dark Souls boss for the first time. TEW especially is REALLY easy once you have an idea what to do in any given scenario.

One interesting thing I find is when you begin to talk about the specifics of The Evil Within, peoples opinions can vary greatly. Like for example I wasn't actually that fond personally of Chapter 1, but I sometimes hear people who love that and then dislike the next few chapters. I hear some people really dislike Chapter 10 and the garage boss fight, but that was one of the highlights of the game for me. I actually thought most of Chapter 7 was okay, disliked the hall running scene, but I actually really liked the Keeper boss battle with the valves. His aggressive animations and the sort of constant overbearing stress of the fight I thought was well handled and appropriately made him intimidating.

I don't think people are wrong for disliking that part or any part of the game though, just I find it fascinating how split people are even on individual sections of the game with the love it/hate it opinions.

At least on the difficulty select screen, they say if you liked Survival (Normal) in the original game to play Nightmare.

TEW really feels like a litmus test to see what kind of action and encounter design you like. I loved the garage fight, I loved most all the inventive combat scenarios even if they had some messy one hit kills. Some did not.

I just hope TEW2 keeps that same spirit of constant new combat situations.

Dusk one question, did you watch the game before playing it? I know many people do this now but it's a crazy concept to me.

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

The positive impressions have me excited. I loved the first game so it looks like I should love this as well. Can't wait to play tomorrow!

rtcn63

Dusk one question, did you watch the game before playing it? I know many people do this now but it's a crazy concept to me.

Not Dusk, but I can only imagine that watching someone play through TEW2 first defeats most of the difficulty once you finally take a shot at it.

Also I'm kind of surprised at the low completition times. It sounds on par with the first game but the first game was pretty linear, RE4 like experience and this one is the same length but with tons of optional side stuff? So the main quest is shorter?

I hear you here. I felt this one started out well in giving you at least a heads up that stealth is an option but I do agree that some of the bosses were kinda like WTF when you first get to them.

camaropilot

I absolutely loved the first game, even with it's flaws. It was a return to form for Shinji Mikami and up at the top of my list of favorite horror games of all time. I got my copy of The Evil Within 2 early and now I'm sitting at work thinking about playing it tonight!

Dusk Golem

Also I'm kind of surprised at the low completition times. It sounds on par with the first game but the first game was pretty linear, RE4 like experience and this one is the same length but with tons of optional side stuff? So the main quest is shorter?

I think that's where we cross a line of definition of completing a game versus doing side quests. I'd imagine trying to do all side quest will make the game take longer than the base original but just doing the core stuff probably takes around the same is the impression I'm getting.

The streamers that were mentioned as having completed it said it took them 15+ hours. And there are
chapters. So it definitely seems longer than the first.

killroy87

Safe to say reviewers generally won’t be trying to exhaust all the side content out of the game. They’ll want to finish it ASAP so they can get the review up.

rtcn63

The lowered difficulty across the board (supposedly Survival is closer to Casual from the first game etc.) probably doesn't help things.

I couldn't resist watching some, I've seen Chapter 2 & 3 a few times over the last few months, and some of Chapters 5 & 6. But I tried to hold back looking up too much and not seeing all of these chapters either.

Yeah, I've stopped myself from seeing anything past Chapter 5.

I am actually kind of proud of myself against the garage boss fight. I have my blind playthrough recorded if curious.

I did it on my second try, but my first try I was wondering if it was a boss or a way to escape, determined it was a boss so purposefully killed myself to fight it next round. My second go I didn't stealth it, but I felt I did a good job for doing it blindly and taking it down.

I personally loved the fight, but you needed to be a bit experimental with it I think.

Haha man that fight is WAY more epic when you fight it guns blazing like that. That was pretty cool actually :)

rtcn63

Haha man that fight is WAY more epic when you fight it guns blazing like that. That was pretty cool actually :)

My first plays, I would use an almost fully-upgraded shotgun and just let loose on it while dodging from left to right, then use the rifle for the second phase. Sometimes I wouldn't even leave the initial area of the garage where you start.

Se_7_eN

It feels like a big improvement so far for me, but I'm not done the game, so no score.

Your review and the Polygon review sold me, mostly because of the Silent Hill references... I wasn't a big fan of The Evil Within, but I will be grabbing this one tomorrow and enjoying it over the weekend nights.

Thanks Mike!

kromeo

I think I eventually killed it with shock bolts and then sniper rifling it's eye but I died quite a few times first

My first plays, I would use an almost fully-upgraded shotgun and just let loose on it while dodging from left to right, then use the rifle for the second phase. Sometimes I wouldn't even leave the initial area of the garage where you start.

I’m gonna fight it the way you guys’ did on my next play through. Looks fun. Always just kept relaoding until I could stealth through to the last phase so never actually fought it that way. It was tense and fun as hell but going toe to toe looks great too. Man I love this game lol.

rtcn63

I'm gonna fight it the way you guys' did on my next play through. Looks fun. Always just kept relaoding until I could stealth through to the last phase so never actually fought it that way. It was tense and fun as hell but going toe to toe looks great too. Man I love this game lol.

With the last phase, I didn't even know that he goes back to non-glowy normal after a time (and back again) until I read about it, so I just kept trying to kill him as fast as possible.

I've read a couple in progress reviews and watched ACG's review (whose reviews I put a lot of stock in). I'm still hyped and I can't wait to get into it.

The first game was honestly pretty amazing overall. Despite the huge dropoff beginning with Chapter 11 and a few cheap and frustrating spots, it was great.

At the very least - we have another survival horror game available that's backed by a large budget.

jett

D-Member
So strange hearing so many people saying the first was a letdown. I just don't understand. I thought it was amazing, my personal GOTY.

Instakills.
The last few shootbang-heavy chapters.
A story that goes nowhere.

That almost ruined my time with the game. Still interested in this one though.

Dusk Golem

DukeBobby

Any word on the boss fights?

The first game had a couple of decent ones, but I thought they were a bit disappointing overall.

With the last phase, I didn't even know that he goes back to non-glowy normal after a time (and back again) until I read about it, so I just kept trying to kill him as fast as possible.

Oh I didn’t know that either! I thought once he opens up that center pink area and starts glowing, that it was pretty much kill him ASAP because stealth stops working at that point. Interesting.

Gbraga

Can anyone answer if the PC version of this game is looking okay?

From what I've seen, some particular rooms have framerate issues for no apparent reason (they're tiny rooms with nothing inside), and there's some asset-related stuttering, probably when the transitions are too wild like they can be in Evil Within, but overall it looks good.

The fact that Bethesda is giving the PC version to streamers is a good sign, too.

Maybe not fantastic, but definitely the best version of the game if you have the hardware.

Gasian

Maybe not fantastic, but definitely the best version of the game if you have the hardware.
A Solid port this time? That is nice. I expected at least Solid because I believed they would make it overall better. Like no way they could mess up nearly as bad as the first game at launch. Excited to play after seeing the reviews. Liked the First game despite its flaws. This just overall sounds better, like a sequel should :D

Top Bottom