• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 Review Thread

Approximately how long do the DLC's for the first game take to finish? Since it sounds like those are necessary for the story, I want to play those before I dive into this one

-MD-

Approximately how long do the DLC's for the first game take to finish? Since it sounds like those are necessary for the story, I want to play those before I dive into this one

6 hours for the story ones and like 90 minutes for the challenge room thing.

Bulk_Rate

Well these positive vibes have pushed me from nope to yep - as soon as I read confirmation that PS4 performance is at least stable. That was one of my two big problems with TEW1 which caused me to only play through once.

Astral Dog

Can someone who has played it tell me how scary it is? If it's on par with modern RE games then I might give it a shot. I think I can handle more but yeah...

I've only seen the first chapters- like the original, not as scary as even the first half of RE7.

The majority of "fair" survival horror games are about figuring out how to correctly approach a situation. Like taking on a Dark Souls boss for the first time. TEW especially is REALLY easy once you have an idea what to do in any given scenario.

heh i though the originall was a scary game :D
And i played all the RE and Dead Spaces actually the atmosphere combined with the jump scares, night village and high difficulte was tense anyways, though i eventually left the game because it got tedious to actually play

6 hours for the story ones and like 90 minutes for the challenge room thing.
Thanks. I'll be able to finish them by tomorrow evening then

Is the challenge room any fun? I know it's not required, but the 2 story ones cost the same as the season pass, so I may as well just get that and get some extra content

-MD-

Thanks. I'll be able to finish them by tomorrow evening then

Is the challenge room any fun? I know it's not required, but the 2 story ones cost the same as the season pass, so I may as well just get that and get some extra content

I enjoyed it, worth a try for sure.

Ricker

Any word on the performance on PS4 Pro?

I'm debating whether to get it now, or wait and play it on the XOX.

Same for me...I am getting AC and Wolfenstein on the XOX but not sure on Shadow of War and this...

Only thing that scares me in the reviews so far is the fact that the open world parts are kinda bland...? waiting for impressions here on that...

Late Flag

I liked the first game, but to be honest I expected middling reviews for whatever reason. Glad to see some pretty high scores.

Jawmuncher

Using an upgraded light bow in the original that let you insta kill 3 or more enemies took any fear the game had when mobs would be sent. It was my favorite thing to do.

-MD-

Using an upgraded light bow in the original that let you insta kill 3 or more enemies took any fear the game had when mobs would be sent. It was my favorite thing to do.

You're referring to the flash bolts? Even with no upgrades it was OP as fuck lol.

Hostile_18

Banned
Did anyone else manage to do the final tornament in the Executioner? That's one of my proudest achievements, it was so hard taking on like 40 odd enemy's and then Seb and Joseph at the end! Think the trophy completion rate is at 0.2% lol.

vegohead

I'm confused why G2A is promoting this game by sending out emails to purchase it from their website. I can't imagine why Bethesda would partner with them because they sell games at such a reduced price.

kromeo

I spent most of my green gel upgrading the harpoon bolts, they one shot most things in the game once they get the fire effect

Erevador

Hmm, so probably should play the first before jumping into this aye? Direct sequel I'm guessing.
The first game is really a good time. It has some jank, but even that just reminded me of my favorite horror games from the mid '00s. It's classic Mikami with some great moments and excellent art design.

Don't like the sound of dull open world and more of a story focus at all personally. I tend to be very much not into those aspects at all so I'll have to go with reviews pointing those out.

Will pick it up on sale at some point. I was more hoping for a refined, tighter version of the first one which seemed like a bit of a diamond in the rough but the reviews don't really give me the impression that it is that.

silva1991

I didn't play the DLC for the first game. Anything specific I should know about what happened in it going in to this one?

One big DLC spoiler:
Sebastian's wife is alive and actually working for MOBIUS
. I'm sure this fact will play a big part TEW2 story.

sphinx

the piano man
Did anyone else manage to do the final tornament in the Executioner? That's one of my proudest achievements, it was so hard taking on like 40 odd enemy's and then Seb and Joseph at the end! Think the trophy completion rate is at 0.2% lol.

I did but I don't remember it being hard.

akumu playthrough though, that remains the hardest trophy I've earned out of my 15 platinum'd games.

it's also the rarest I have on my PSN profile

Mr. Tibbs

7.75 from Game Informer.

The Evil Within 2 is a solid horror game that expands the scope of the series to extend out of the shadow of a titan in the horror genre, even if it sometimes leans heavily on borrowed ideas. Its progression and difficulty curve create a satisfying loop that repays resourcefulness and strategy, but its set pieces and structure don’t build enough on the many ideas they borrow to make them feel new or interesting. The result is a ride that offers some fun thrills in the moment, but I don’t think I’ll lose too much sleep over these particular nightmares.

Karak

ACG's given reason is kinda headscratcher though, basically the combat is not survival horror enough and bosses being killable by your arsenal is an immersion-breaker.

Given...reason for what? I don't think I mentioned "survivor" anything in the review. If you mean a reason for me disliking combat up close? Slow movement speed on seb, lack of good collision detection and animations especially in the newer wider enviro, and some bosses were disappointing in their battle tactics.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I was looking at the reviews on metacritic and back to back reviews:

More "Survival" than its predecessor, but still anxious and angry, and challenging, The Evil Within 2 lets you play with pleasure from start to finish. It does not look for originality at all costs, and does not want to invent anything from the point of view of the gaming mechanics, but looks like a solid and addictive product with some unexpected bumps and an intense finish. More than a day-to-day nightmare, it's a very calculated thriller: a nervous, violent and explicit adventure that has to be marked by an excellent alternation of situations.

The Evil Within 2 improves a lot over the first title, with better graphics, more action elements and a more open level design. Nevertheless, it remains faithful to the original formula, and does an excellent job in blending narrative, gameplay and aesthetics in order to create a robust and challenging horror game.

Interesting that one says this is more survival than TEW and the other says more action-y. I prefer survival, so I hope the former is correct.

Conezays

One big DLC spoiler:
Sebastian's wife is alive and actually working for MOBIUS
. I'm sure this fact will play a big part TEW2 story.

I've played the game and DLC's and totally forgot this, lol. Thanks.

Also, 24 % off on GMG with emailed voucher by the way (also applies to Wolfenstein).

Karak

I was looking at the reviews on metacritic and back to back reviews:

Interesting that one says this is more survival than TEW and the other says more action-y. I prefer survival, so I hope the former is correct.

With it being open world, and with it also having slight switches to the difficulties that play into particular play styles. It makes sense I think for folks to feel differently about it and yet still play the same sections.

Skulldead

Saw 2 different review that said normal difficulty (Survival) was too easy and make survival element worthless, they love that aspect in the first game....

Nightmare Difficulty description : *Recommended for players who enjoyed the difficulty of the previous game

Can we call this incompetent ?

dcelw540

So does this game have linear sections like the first? I really enjoyed the close encounter sections wasn't sure if there's a big of a focus.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Shauni

Saw 2 different review that said normal difficulty (Survival) was too easy and make survival element worthless, they love that aspect in the first game....

Nightmare Difficulty description : *Recommended for players who enjoyed the difficulty of the previous game

...Wut?

Uh, why?

Top Bottom