• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 Review Thread

SomTervo

Rely on Horror - the best gaming site when it comes to horror gaming that consists of gamers who love horror games with a passion - said the Evil Within 2 is everything a sequel should be and more. They ended their review, which was a 9.5/10, with this great paragraph:

The Evil Within 2 is everything I wanted from a sequel to The Evil Within, and it surprised me at every turn. Strong pacing, rewarding progression, and innovative level design set a solid foundation for the franchise's future, and underneath a few layers of cheese and grit is a story worth experiencing for its creativity and strong emotional core. If The Evil Within was a modern take on classic survival horror, then The Evil Within 2 is the next step for the genre. It's everything a sequel should be and has earned the series a place next to names like Silent Hill and Resident Evil.

Here's the full review:
http://www.relyonhorror.com/reviews/review-evil-within-2/

Mirror's my thoughts exactly. They're really good guys over there, incidentally.

Mr. Tibbs

5/10 from Video Gamer:

Some monstrously lovely set pieces are let down by a bit too much padding, some broken mechanics, and an overwrought story.

7/10 from Destuctoid:

Still, I can't help but think that this might all be part of some master plan. To be inside STEM is to bend to the will of a collected psyche. The jarring push and pull of two distinct identities -- one a town overrun and ripe for scavenging, the other a frenzied descent into the wicked world of killers -- ensures that Sebastian is never comfortable for too long. The Evil Within 2 often feels uneven, but that's probably the point. Even if it isn't, there's enough blood, guts, and horror to keep your heart racing.

Mr. Tibbs

It's never a 5 out of 10.

Really loving the game so far.

According to this brutal review from Metro, it's a 4/10: survival horror's last stand

There are a few good set pieces, with the ones that break the fourth wall being consistently the best (a sequence where you're being chased by a creature who you can only hear through the speaker on your controller is definitely a standout). But too many of the others will only work if you haven't played a horror game, or seen a horror movie, in the last 20 years.

If that does describe you – and you also haven't seen Inception or played Psychonauts – then The Evil Within 2 is a passable third person shooter with some occasionally interesting moments. But it does all feel worryingly like the last gasp of a dying genre. For survival horror itself to survive it has to evolve, but rather than showing the way forward The Evil Within 2 illustrates only what should be avoided in the future.

tesqui

damn, this is scoring identically to the first game. Switching directors didn't seem to help. I'd be very surprised if we ever see a third game. I'm happy with the 2 we got though.

Mr. Tibbs

damn, this is scoring identically to the first game. Switching directors didn't seem to help. I'd be very surprised if we ever see a third game. I'm happy with the 2 we got though.

Based on their review-in-progress write-ups, I'm sure US Gamer and Polygon will give the game strong scores.

The Lamp

Rely on Horror - the best gaming site when it comes to horror gaming that consists of gamers who love horror games with a passion - said the Evil Within 2 is everything a sequel should be and more. They ended their review, which was a 9.5/10, with this great paragraph:

Here's the full review:
http://www.relyonhorror.com/reviews/review-evil-within-2/

I could not disagree more with this "best gaming site when it comes to horror." It's like I'm reading a list of things I never experienced up to Chapter 4

Crawling from waypoint to waypoint in Union for breadcrumbs of story between humanish enemies like an InFamous game is good pacing?
A story about your daughter being conveniently not-dead but trapped in a dangerous place where dad has to go save her is a creative and strong emotional core?

That is like, literally, the worst part of TEW1. Hope Bethesda doesn't misunderstand where to go with the franchise from bad opinions like this.

How was it bad? Explain. It was easily some of my most tense moments in gaming

Alxjn

If only it had good acting and dialogue, then it would get away with any short comings.

Mr. Tibbs

75/100 from VentureBeat:

If you’re a horror buff, you’ll likely be disappointed because there aren’t that many unique monsters in the game. It’s not even scary, to be honest; most of the tension and fear comes from the lack of ammo. All in all, it’s not a bad game, but it’s not a great game either. You’ll probably have fun shooting the zombies and checking out the occasionally cool surreal locales, but that’s it.

StewboaT_

Holy shit at that 4/10 metro review! Sounded like the guy was being tortured while playing or something. I'm a little over half way through the game and it's at least an 8/10 for me so far. Craziness.

Duxxy3

Holy shit at that 4/10 metro review! Sounded like the guy was being tortured while playing or something. I'm a little over half way through the game and it's at least an 8/10 for me so far. Craziness.

I prefer TWE1, but TWE2 is definitely not a 4/10 game. If TWE1 is an 8.5 for me, then TWE2 would be an 8.

Evil Within chapter 1? It's too basic to be interesting - sneak up and grab the key when the sadist walks into the back room, throw a bottle to send him into the corner in the second room, and you're done - throw in lots of slow walking for good measure. It's not a terrible opening (although it's not very interesting on replays for the most part) but there's not a lot to it.

Granjinha

That Metro review was really, really bad. Geez. (Not the score, btw, the arguments and the written content itself. Really shallow arguments that fail to point out why the game's weak in the writer's POV.)

BeeDog

In what world is this game a 4/10? I'm all for differing opinions, but I couldn't disagree more with that review even if I tried, and that rarely happens.

Gurish

Damnit what a massive drop to 76 :(

It was 81 just 2 days ago what the fuck happened?

This is really not ordinary, don't remember the last time I've seen a game sitting on an 8 comfortably for two days and than suddenly loses 4-5 points, crazy.

RRockman

Banned
Ugh Metro sucks at reviewing games. This game is a solid 8.5 in my book. at chapter 6 and having a blast. While no review will lessen my experiences with the game, I'm kinda bothered by the fact it was it was enough to slap down the metacritic to a point people will skip on this gem.

Ooccoo

It's funny but I think the game actually looks worse than TEW1 in some cases, especially monsters and brain/body damage. A lot of the finer details have been lost with the open world segments (and they suck IMO). Horror games absolutely need to be linear or at least in a controlled environment. Union doesn't work as a city, because atmosphere is lacking unlike something like Silent Hill. It's like this game is trying too many things at once, but doesn't excel at any of them.

JonnyKong

Also I find it weird that some of you are so emotionally invested in a Metacritic score. The game has already flopped quite badly in the UK and that was when the meta score was pretty decent, don't try to blame a couple of low scoring reviews for the game suddenly not selling well, there are many other factors going on to explain that.

I don't support review scores but for the sake of this thread, I would give it a 7 personally. I think the game could've used a bit more budget to work with. Bethesda seemed to have not believed in this game for some reason. Also character animations/controls are some of, if not the, worst in recent memory.

I loved the open world aspect and I hope more horror games do it and improve it but I don't know how I feel about the workbench crafting vs inventory crafting. There's no risk and reward in going to a workbench to craft ammo. It's just tedious!

The game has so much tedium. Miles better than the first one but still needs improvements.

I love the new art direction. I hated the first game's look and feel.

cripterion

It's funny but I think the game actually looks worse than TEW1 in some cases, especially monsters and brain/body damage. A lot of the finer details have been lost with the open world segments (and they suck IMO). Horror games absolutely need to be linear or at least in a controlled environment. Union doesn't work as a city, because atmosphere is lacking unlike something like Silent Hill. It's like this game is trying too many things at once, but doesn't excel at any of them.

I don't own the game but watching Mr.Odd playthrough and I would join this sentiment.

It looks like a budget game to me so I was surprised to see this scoring high early on.

Neiteio

Not done yet, still on first half, but I give it a 10/10, and apparently the second half is even better

It's RE4 meets SH2. It's the ice cream cake of horror games. Buy buy buy!

Really glad to see that it's reviewing better than part 1. I'm still on the fence on whether I wanna get it at full price, but I'm getting itchier by the day.

The people that loved the opening probably got through it on their first try. These kinds of scripted sections only work if you don't die, because the immersion is shattered if you do. The imagery in the scene was cool, but from a gameplay perspective it wasn't very good.

The opening of TEW1 was great. Like Resident Evil 4, it almost immediately sets the tone for a tough, no mercy type of game. I remember the first time I came across a gang of insane villagers in RE4 within 10 minutes of starting the game. I died there several times before figuring it out. TEW1 tried to set that sort of insane situation and tone right from the start. It’s different from RE4, but conceptually, he’s employing similar techniques by making the early going so tough.

kromeo

Metro think it deserves half the score of Star Wars Battlefront, that's an interesting opinion...

Everyone can scale scores how they like but 5 or under indicates genuine turds to me

CheckMate

I'd say give it a week till you get the real average - 50+ or more reviews for your average AAA.

If I would have to rank the game on meta it would be 83
, with the original being 87 ;p

s-bojan

Banned
I was disappointed with the game and how it progressed the story, but I don't understand how anyone can give less than 6 to this game.

The GC review is interesting because they weren't keen on the first one either. But I reckon that if they doubled down on the unique stuff that made the first more of an auteur-directed game it would have been more warmly received, like with Paper Mario Color Splash (I believe GC awarded Sticker Star a 4/10, but Color Splash got either a 6 or a 7).

Intel_89

I'm loving it just as much as the first one so far, other than some odd clipping through objects and long loading times I'm having a lot of fun.

Erevador

Not done yet, still on first half, but I give it a 10/10, and apparently the second half is even better

It's RE4 meets SH2. It's the ice cream cake of horror games. Buy buy buy!
I feel similarly about my experience of the game so far. It's a pure video game experience of the kind I like best.

I think a series like this existing at all in 2017 is a kind of miracle.

Granted I have not finished the game yet but from what I have played... I don't get these low scores at all. This game is basically perfect merger of RE4 and Silent Hill I've wanted for years. Amazing creature and sound design backed up with actual surrival horror gameplay.

Intel_89

Granted I have not finished the game yet but from what I have played... I don't get these low scores at all. This game is basically perfect merger of RE4 and Silent Hill I've wanted for years. Amazing creature and sound design backed up with actual surrival horror gameplay.

Horror games with tank controls aren't everyone's cup of tea I guess. There's a lot of people that didn't enjoy TEW1 either despite it having a lot of fans.

Horror games with tank controls aren't everyone's cup of tea I guess. There's a lot of people that didn't enjoy TEW1 either despite it having a lot of fans.

True enough I just find it annoying because it seemed like for years there was this prevailing call to bring back survival horror but what won out in the end was the first person horror games where you hide in a corner while spooky stuff happens. The actual 'survival horror' of the past is what TEW1/2 brings to the table, situations where I have to kill a group of 6 enemies that are going to swarm me and I have 3 bullets, a bottle, 1 shotgun round and a harpoon and I just have to make it work. For me those moments are exhilirating but it looks like people just don't want it anymore.

Erevador

True enough I just find it annoying because it seemed like for years there was this prevailing call to bring back survival horror but what won out in the end was the first person horror games where you hide in a corner while spooky stuff happens. The actual 'survival horror' of the past is what TEW1/2 brings to the table, situations where I have to kill a group of 6 enemies that are going to swarm me and I have 3 bullets, a bottle, 1 shotgun round and a harpoon and I just have to make it work. For me those moments are exhilirating but it looks like people just don't want it anymore.
I completely agree. I think people learn to love these games, but they have to understand what they're getting into. Shinji Mikami games have a certain rhythm that you have to learn and click into. Like Dark Souls, at first it can feel eccentric and clunky... but then you realize that actually the game is trying to teach you to play it the way it wants to be played, to think in the patterns of THIS game, not the patterns of the last game you played.

Jyester

The opening of TEW1 was great. Like Resident Evil 4, it almost immediately sets the tone for a tough, no mercy type of game. I remember the first time I came across a gang of insane villagers in RE4 within 10 minutes of starting the game. I died there several times before figuring it out. TEW1 tried to set that sort of insane situation and tone right from the start. It's different from RE4, but conceptually, he's employing similar techniques by making the early going so tough.
I disagree. RE4 is much more interesting from a gameplay perspective, when it sets the player loose in a village where they have to scamper to safety, fighting off a horde of crazed villagers. In TEW, you have to run away from the Sadist, through some cool-looking environments. When I died in RE4, I could attempt a different approach to the problem. In TEW, I'm funneled through the same corridor again. For reference, I was also lukewarm about the big downhill car chase in Uncharted 4 after seeing it in E3 footage. That kind of gameplay is only exhilarating the first time you get to experience it, and not necessarily fun to replay.

Perhaps it doesn't help that the game (I've only played TEW1) just isn't as good as the classics it harkens back to. RE4 was never frustrating, had tight story and gameplay progression and likable characters. None of this can be said for TEW1. I liked it, but it sadly didn't deliver on becoming the savior of the genre.

psychotron

That review is.....wow. So incredibly different from my experience so far. I'm going around union, systematically taking out zombie's using stealth, and having a great time. If I fail at stealth, I bust out my trusty shotgun and finish the job....or run away, lol. It's not a perfect game, but it's addicting as hell, and the side content so far has been very good. Not sure what the reviewer was playing, but it's not the same game I'm enjoying.

I could not disagree more with this "best gaming site when it comes to horror." It's like I'm reading a list of things I never experienced up to Chapter 4

Crawling from waypoint to waypoint in Union for breadcrumbs of story between humanish enemies like an InFamous game is good pacing?
A story about your daughter being conveniently not-dead but trapped in a dangerous place where dad has to go save her is a creative and strong emotional core?

Because it's scripted-as-fuck, has nothing to do with how you'll play the rest of the game (even on Akuma), can't be skipped on repeat playthroughs, and takes too long. It's the worst part of the first game, similar to the opening of RE7 which has all of the same problems.

Top Bottom