• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 - Shinji Mikami & John Johanas on the sequels focus & direction

Erevador

I'm glad the monster design isn't atrocious this time around
Absolute madness.

The original game had some of the best monster designs since the glory days of Team Silent. The art book is spectacular. The design work is unfailingly atmospheric and brilliant.
618x346.jpg

b87ffc9a2f9fe314d40033af75eea132.jpg

thing.png

tumblr_ncj7c7pbrl1sq2xoeo2_500.gif

I like that the focus is more on fear and psychological horror; as much as I love the first Evil Within I didn't find the game scary, and psychological horror freaks me out far more than gore. Everything I'm seeing sounds promising, and if this is truly more like RE1 then there's no doubt I'll love it.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Is anyone concern that it has only been in development for 2 years?

That seems like a short amount of time to make a game especially considering that they want it to be a little more open world. Are we thinking Tomb Raider open world like?

I really enjoyed the first game and had fun with it and the DLC. I'm glad they are making the story easier to understand and follow in the second one.

Not really, outside of sequel development, the team has also expanded by quite a bit since TEW1.

UrbanRats

2 years seems adequate for this type of game. If it was full on open world I'd be concerned, but 2 years seems fine.

If this is using IDtech, I hope they ironed out some kinks.

I hate that engine. Every game I've played that uses it (TEW, both new Wolfensteins) always irk me with their performance.

Some teams just seem to be more efficient than others.
Think of how fast From Software can put out a Souls-like game, with unique assets, ideas, crazy ass locations and bosses, etc etc.... and then games that don't even feel finished like MGSV or FFXV took forever to come out, because of various production problems.

2 years is definitely very little time, but TEW doesn't seem like a massive game or technically ambitious (beyond reason), so with an efficiently directed team, i can see that happening.

I really hope they're not fucking with those glorious Mikami vibes, adding side quests and more open level design is fine but don't you dare take away that Mikami pacing... Inventory management, scarce ammo, varied encounters, classic puzzles, almost constant tension, fun collectables, a game that's not afraid to be gamey. The first game was a rough diamond and i have a small concern that the sequel is going to be polished bronze.

UrbanRats

Do we know which engine this is yet? Because if it is id tech 5 again I will lower my hype levels drastically.

Don't worry, it's Unity.

I really hope they're not fucking with those glorious Mikami vibes, adding side quests and more open level design is fine but don't you dare take away that Mikami pacing... Inventory management, scarce ammo, varied encounters, classic puzzles, almost constant tension, fun collectables, a game that's not afraid to be gamey. The first game was a rough diamond and i have a small concern that the sequel is going to be polished bronze.

the first game has inventory management?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Do we know which engine this is yet? Because if it is id tech 5 again I will lower my hype levels drastically.

Not exactly. id Tech is mentioned in the legal info section of the game's PSN store page, but whether it's 5 or 6 is still up in the air.

-MD-

Is anyone concern that it has only been in development for 2 years?

That seems like a short amount of time to make a game especially considering that they want it to be a little more open world. Are we thinking Tomb Raider open world like?

I really enjoyed the first game and had fun with it and the DLC. I'm glad they are making the story easier to understand and follow in the second one.

It'll be closer to 3 years by the time of release.

I don't know why it wouldn't be id tech 6 since Wolfenstein II comes out the same month and uses it. Hype levels will definitely lower if they are using 5. :(

Top Bottom