• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within (Mikami/Tango) concept art uses screenshot from The WarZ

silenttwn

/u/SuN9491 on Reddit posted this:

L4IpySx.jpg

The screenshot's from The War Z.

EmSeta

Well, to be fair, it is concept art. The artist who made it might not have intended for it to be publicly released.

Servbot24

Banned
Every game company uses movie shots and other paintings in their concept art. It speeds the painting process a great amount. As long as it's only for internal use there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Of course if this image was intended for the public, that looks pretty bad.

dan2026

Why would they?

Of all the millions of zombies pictures they could have stolen, why this one?

It can't be a coincidence.

Neiteio

Just mentally heard the opening chords to the Kenan and Kel theme song. "AWWW HERE WE GO!" (Also craving orange pop now.)

Me personally, I don't mind this. I'm guessing that, it being concept art and all, and those zombies being a background element, the artist probably just needed something to represent a crowd situation when he was whipping up this target scenario.

What's nice is that the all-original -- and all AWESOME -- "safe-head" monster seems to have retained this design, since he looks this way in the live-action trailer.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
- non original game title(The Evil Within = Resident Evil)
- steal photo from WarZ(which is most likely stolen from somewhere else)

creativity bankrupt at maximum level here.

Persona86

Banned
Gonna guess it's concept art where the person who made it did not expect it to be released to public by those in charge,

Melchiah

/u/SuN9491 on Reddit posted this:

L4IpySx.jpg

The screenshot's from The War Z.

That's absolutely hilarious! Begs a question, why?

I'm getting the following vibe:

- REmake
- RE4
- Siren: Blood Curse
- Eternal Darkness
- Shadows of the Damned
- Cabin in the Woods
- Se7en
- SAW

Thrown in a blender. A strainer used to filter out the Suda.

I hope this turns out to be the case!

Not Silent Hill? The blockhead looked like a cousin of Pyramidhead, a derelict wheelchair in the hallway, the elevator scene brought SH3 to my mind, and the crawling woman with long hair obscuring her features evoked memories of a similar thing in SH4.

And the beginning reminds me of this SH3 TV spot, that was shown in Europe.
http://youtu.be/JLAoyNSwi7s

Neiteio

Not Silent Hill? The blockhead looked like a cousin of Pyramidhead, a derelict wheelchair in the hallway, the elevator scene brought SH3 to my mind, and the crawling woman with long hair obscuring her features evoked memories of a similar thing in SH4.

And the beginning reminds me of this SH3 TV spot, that was shown in Europe.
http://youtu.be/JLAoyNSwi7s
I agree, I just went with Siren Blood Curse for the Team Silent representation. The colors and spider-woman remind me of that game.

that tracing like everything by Greg Land

I've seen so many anime's and manga's doing pure traces like this. It's one thing to take a photo and use it as reference, it's another to take a photo then trace it. Pure copypasta is just wrong on so many levels.

What's with all the "tracing" accusations? I used to draw pictures (not professionally) that were close copies of photos, but I didn't trace them. I still drew them freehand, but a photo is a great way to shortcut on lighting and angles. This was only for classes or for fun, but I never hid my source photos. In fact, I often showed them off, like "look how closely I matched this".

TL;DR: I don't see any proof that those were traced.

Phandy

This shit runs rampant in concept art, comics, illustration etc, I bet I could find a shit tonne of photos used for reference in painting for most games released nowadays, and then most of those probably wouldn't even use them as reference and actually just crop and paint over the photo into their work.

Its a very very blurred line. Things like crowds of people, textures, forests or trees, cityscapes. Stuff that takes so long to paint manually almost always gets cropped in (I use textures occasionally for instance) and painted over.
If your painting into it, when is it still the photo, and when does it become something new?

Honestly, this is still quite minimal, and clearly adjusted. Also not the focus of the image. You can get away with it. Some people might not like it, creatively or artistically (me included), but I don't think there's a problem to make a huff over really.

Ed- He also didn't copy this or trace it. Its cropped into the piece and then painted over/adjusted etc. I can tell because of the pixels etc etc.

Why is this a big deal?

I could see it being a big deal if it was a main character, or promotional material, but it's just concept art...

....on cannon fodder no less.

The main piece of that art is Safe Head.
The art itself is trying to show the mood/atmosphere of that section of the game

It did it's job.
It's not like they are selling it to people claiming it as an original piece of art.

Top Bottom