• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within (PS3/360/PC/NextGen, idtech5, Tango/Bethesda, 2014): [Up: New Info]

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So based on the ward-like neurological Psycho Break, and the imagery in the live action trailer, I get a Jacob's Ladder vibe from the whole thing.

Nemesis_

The tone is obviously going to be different (and I understand why that's not necessarily for everyone)

This is so far away but I am so fucking hyped

iblZwynimP9dsy.gif

Nemesis_

I still think The Evil Within sounds much more.....ominous.

But the only reason I am thinking that is because I (unfortunately) associate Psycho Break with MindJack for some reason :/

ekim

Website's live :
http://theevilwithin.com/?lang=en

Shinji Mikami, the father of survival horror, is back to direct The Evil Within™ – a game embodying the meaning of pure survival horror. Highly-crafted environments, horrifying anxiety, and an intricate story weave together to create an immersive world that will bring players to the height of tension. The Evil Within is in development for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, PC and next generation consoles and is slated for release in 2014.

Wallpapers included.

https://www.facebook.com/TheEvilWithin

wrowa

- The Evil Within is similar in the sense that it is a rather generic horror title which could mean anything. The Japanese title is Psycho Break, which seems much relevant to the actual story judging from the brainhouse in the logo.

Theory: We are playing Dudebro McDude, a tough guy who has seen his fair share in life, so much so that it eventually broke his psyche. Game is set in his mind, where he's re-experiencing important stations of his life in a completely fucked-up and broken way.

Wasn't that a good niche game? I've never played it, but I've been meaning to get a copy for cheap. Is it a bad idea?

Not talking quality wise so much as tone wise. SotD is really campy and loaded with more dick jokes than a Farrelly Brothers film. Where The Evil Within is concerned, I want it to be a straight-up psychological horror in the same vein as Silent Hill, which incidentally is what it looks like it'll end up being, so that's good.

Holy shit, that trailer. I know Dead Island did trailers that weren't gameplay and turned out super not-as-good, but holy shit. That trailer.
People who have forgotten what actual horror games are like are in for a kick in the arse when this comes out.

Also, oh my god I think I found the reason I will buy a PS4.

iRJBTP2XdnwCV.gif

jett

D-Member
Nice. I really want to see some gameplay though, see what they have added on top of the RE4 experience.

Oh and chromatic aberration all over our faces. That's truly going to be the bloom of next-gen. :p

ekim

Theory: We are playing Dudebro McDude, a tough guy who has seen his fair share in life, so much so that it eventually broke his psyche. Game is set in his mind, where he's re-experiencing important stations of his life in a completely fucked-up and broken way.

lol

Damn that trailer is messed up. So awesome.
I didn't get any shadows of the damned vibes, completely different artstyle, looks much more disturbing and realistic.
I can see this game being genuinely scary.

jaosobno

The Japanese title does have me a little bit more intrigued as to what this is about though. If it's concerned with actual manipulation of the brain (Neurology is my second interest in my studies) then I cannot wait *.*

Main character could be hallucinating (as a consequence of an experiment) and butchering innocent people left and right. Hence Psycho Break/Evil Within (his mind).

Nemesis_

From a previous thread, though.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=528162

For those who missed it, here's a compilation of known things:

-game is a TPS, an action game, with guns
-X360/PS3 release confirmed
-will use HAVOK physics engine
-heavy use of environmental effects and physics simulations
-they're looking for an animator with experience in "crowd animation". I'm thinking next-gen ganados V2 (job listing)
-most probable time to expect new info: month of April. Last year tango gameworks held their "Tango Night" on 22/4.

For the multiplayer: job listing 1, job listing 2 . "Experience in network programming in real-time game" and "Communication skills in development work in multiplayer"

I'm thinking ... COOP.

Update:

Job listings have been magically removed as of 28/03. You can still verify them on the tango website.

News Bot

Banned
That'd explain the whole Clock Tower freaks-fest collection shown in the trailer. If this ends up being a collection of psychotic freaks then once again the JP title is far more accurate than the western title.

Reminds me of Haunting Ground/Demento.

-game is a TPS, an action game, with guns

Welp. Let's hope the monsters pose an adequate threat, there's a shortage of ammunition/healing and the atmosphere is as thick as fuck throughout as it is in those screens. Otherwise bleh.

GulAtiCa

Those screens look great. I'm def interested. If it's not on Wii U, this could really convince me to get a PS4/Next Xbox when it eventually releases.

wrowa

IGN took the screens down again, by the way. I guess they were supposed to go online on Monday. So... it might be better not to expect any new screens or videos for the 22nd.

Laranja

Not talking quality wise so much as tone wise. SotD is really campy and loaded with more dick jokes than a Farrelly Brothers film. Where The Evil Within is concerned, I want it to be a straight-up psychological horror in the same vein as Silent Hill, which incidentally is what it looks like it'll end up being, so that's good.

Oh, for a moment I thought there was something wrong with the game, mechanically speaking. I'm with you, then. I hope this is as serious and as mature as possible, and it looks as such.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Can't watch the trailer, but those screens looks creepy/scary as shit!

Also... I know they say "next-generation consoles", but my guts tell me that won't include Wii U.

monome

game is supposed to be nicely balanced between horror and action.
pretty bold statement after RE6, and a HD RE4 won't exactly set my gaming world on fire.

wait and see. Mikami is good though.

Melchiah

The trailer certainly has some Silent Hill vibe to it.

The Evil Within, in development for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, the PC, and next generation consoles, is slated for release in 2014.

In plural, yes!

Piers

Looks boring and uninspiring, in terms of the setting and everything else. We've seen dark corridors, rusty blood soaked walls and humanoid abominations hundreds of times since the 90s.

The graphics are pretty, I'll give it that.

monome

what has re6 to do with Mikami?

nothing.

But Capcom thought they had figured out a good blend of horror and action.

not saying Mikami hasn't figured it out. there isn't even a gameplay video!
it's obviously more RE4 than 6 from the pics, but I doubt Mikami will simply redo RE4 with a more "mature" setting.

Sylver

Banned
Unbelievable, the artist behind Resident Evil Remake art is the best creating horror atmosphere.
Direct to my most anticipated game list.

Top Bottom