• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within (PS3/360/PC/NextGen, idtech5, Tango/Bethesda, 2014): [Up: New Info]

Damn, great debut trailer and the screens look pretty great too.

Some excellent designs, the four armed creature especially should make for some very tense encounters.

mattp

this is really looking to be the re4 sequel we've all been waiting for, only with way more horror elements

but...i cannot help but be a little disappointed it doesnt look like it's going to be the return to survival horror mikami made it out to be in those initial quotes :(
but we'll have to wait and see how it turns out

either way, day one.

bumpkin

That didn't really do much for me. Especially after looking at the screens and seeing all those enemies. It looks like it's going to be very much in the same style as RE4.
The screens with the torch carrying enemies, the bonfires with bodies on stakes in the middle and the over-the-shoulder shooting all scream RE4. I'm a firm believer in the old "If it isn't broken" adage, but the phrase "One trick pony" exists for a reason. This screams that to me. I'd love to be wrong and for this game to be scary as hell and super awesome, though.

UraMallas

Yes. More Resident Evil 1 than Resident Evil 4, please. I love both games but I'm in the mood for a slower paced survival horror game.

mattp

does anyone really think this looks like resident evil 1?
it looks like silent hill to me. re4 + silent hill
which is fine, no complaints
4mrjRro.jpg

Tymerend

The trailer did nothing for me. In fact, were it not for the screenshots, I would have completely forgotten about it in a couple days. At best it reminds me of a low production campy slasher horror movie, which I usually don't enjoy.

If the game is more than just cheesy jump scares and blood splatters, though, it looks like it could be interesting. Time will tell, I suppose.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Is it primarily horror or primarily action adventure? Looks like the latter but you never know.

Either way should be engaging to play.

does anyone really think this looks like resident evil 1?
it looks like silent hill to me. re4 + silent hill
which is fine, no complaints

That shot gave me REmake lab vibes:

cdCIJKg.jpg

And while the game may have action I hope is focused on exploration + puzzle solving and resources management.

For people curious, we'll have gameplay and impressions it sounds on the 22nd (next Monday).

Ugh. The wait on this game is gonna kill me.

antitrop

Releasing on... PC...

We're gonna have
We're gonna have
We're gonna have a good day
And all my homies gonna ride today
And all these mommies look fly today
And all we wanna do is get by today
Heyyy,
We're gonna have a good day
And ain't nobody gotta cry today
Cause ain't nobody gonna die today
Save that drama for another day
Heyyy we're gonna have a good day

XenoRaven

I got kind of this Fullmetal Alchemist vibe when the blood splattered on the woman's picture and then the crazy blood monster had a female figure.

Anyway, this is looking awesome. Plus, I'll buy just about anything with Mikami's name on it.

near

Gold Member
Haven't played a well constructed horror experience in years, Mikami seems like he's taking this project in the right direction. Cannot wait to see how this feels when it's finished.

Conceptually really interesting, but not really served by the seemingly low production value. Made me think of a Roger Corman version of Session 9 + Hellraiser.

So based on the ward-like neurological Psycho Break, and the imagery in the live action trailer, I get a Jacob's Ladder vibe from the whole thing.

Jacob's Ladder seems to be an inspiration for so many horror series. If this ends up RE4 + Silent Hill, I'll be hyped.

mattp

That shot gave me REmake lab vibes:

cdCIJKg.jpg

And while the game may have action I hope is focused on exploration + puzzle solving and resources management.

Ugh. The wait on this game is gonna kill me.

yeah you know, maybe you're right. or even the lab w/ the regenerators in re4
but the monster design seems right out of silent hill

man, i want more details so badly. i REALLY want an adventure/survival focused game. but i love re4, so if i have to "settle" for another re4, i guess i'll live

Nemesis_

Google Translate is REALLY bad.

The buddy story and <br /> criminal Sebastian, and express to the scene of the gruesome mass deaths, mighty force shrouded in mystery was waiting out there. At that time you have witnessed police officers other is going to be killed one after another, someone struck Sebastian, and you may lose your consciousness. Monster is wandering, where you wake up, the world was crazy brush with death always, but he will understand the situation even while fighting.
In order to unlock the mysteries hidden in the shadow of its mighty power, ... Sebastian to fight in order to face the unimaginable horror, to survive was the journey that was full of fear.

Key Feature
[Return of the "pure survival horror"]
Creator of survival horror, Shinji Mikami. As director of the new game to experience fear and chilling, the pleasure smash it, he appeared in front of us again. and thus the players survived to make full use of limited resources, to experience the incomprehensible horror action horror and matches the highest.
The survival of the world filled with anguish, anxiety and tension off the deep end!

[Enemy that is full of mystery and brutal trap]
The face cruel trap and fear that while the struggle to survive, unimaginable, the cunning trick. Trap diminish death with great ease player, but can also be a player utilizing sometimes, to break through the enemy.

[In an uncertain world, Blind Terror]
Distorts the world around the player while winding eddy, evil fear, hunt down while contorted in mysterious. Even Landscape wall and hallway, door, room, and building, is a background also changes in real time according to the behavior of the player. And many times, the threat comes hanging attack from any direction.

[Supernova of horror, Revealed]
If Fumiirere one step foot in a world background made in-depth, story characters have unique, prepared by incorporating weaves, the player is drawn into the world whether even in response, anxiety and a sense of tension increases on and on going. Butchery such a fear, when it is overcome, "this PSYCHOBREAK (Psycho break) can not be obtained "only, the best pleasure he obtained.

eXistor

Not a fan of any kind of live-action trailers, but it does suggest full-on horror. Very curious to see what Mikami and team have come up with.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
idtech5 is surprising. Fully expected this to be UE3.

Top Bottom