• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within - quite possible the best single level in horror gaming / or how to build anxiety

VGEsoterica

I admit the entire experience of The Evil Within is not perfect. Towards the middle of the game it oddly pivots way more towards action horror than survival horror...

but the opening level of the game? It’s like a blueprint on “how to do it”. Even if it’s just a small slice of the game and acts almost like a tutorial the amount of tension and anxiety it packs into the first ten minutes is staggering.

My biggest complaint with horror games is when your character seems too powerful and invincible. The entire genre is predicated on the protagonist being the weakest character in the story; the “big bad” is always way OP compared to you and films do this much better than horror games. I don’t want to have a hand cannon that mows through everything around me in a horror game...I want to feel the anxiety and tension of being underpowered and weak!

I love how The Evil Within establishes that feeling in the first level. You are unarmed and up against an enemy that will 1 shot you if you are caught. You have zero ability to fight back...all you can do is “survive”. Halfway through the level you are hobbled and becomes EVEN MORE weak in comparison. Even sprinting through a door with the enemy hot on your heels gets that tension rising and really makes it feel like a “horror” game should.

Add in amazing visuals, a CinemaScope like presentation, some awesome sound effects and art design that feels like a Texas Chainsaw Massacre wet dream...and you have a near perfect level in horror gaming.

Curious what others “perfect” areas in horror games are? I’m sure there are a ton I’ve missed!

Life

If it was more souls-like with the checkpoints and dying - it would have been super scary yeah. Hard to get frightened playing knowing you can just restart not too far back.

dcx4610

The cut scenes had PS2 level graphics and dialogue and almost made me quit. I'm glad I stuck with it because the actual in-game graphics were fantastic, good gameplay, cool scenarios and genuinely scary at times. The story gets a little silly but I think if the game were released in a different era, it would have been all time classic. The sequel is good but it suffered from a graphical downgrade and they changed it more of an open world style. It's worthy trying but nowhere near as good as the first.

Ellery

Love this game. Not sure why it wasn't that well received. I think the console versions were technically terrible and it had black bars and a low FoV. Thankfully I could remove all 3 of those issues on the PC version.

In general I prefer early levels/parts of video games or horror movies/tv shows/books. Especially when they are good at setting the tone / atmosphere of what is to come. When you don't really have enough weapons/ammunition to feel safe and when you are still in the "okay what is wrong in this place" kind of phase.

I always loved the structure in Silent Hill games where you are in a hospital/apartment building/school etc. and have to go through a lot of rooms and try doors, find keys, cross it off the map and feel like you are going crazy and being afraid of going further or hoping that a door is closed instead of open. This might be a bad example for "perfect level", but I always loved it when I entered one of those "areas/levels/segments" and needed to go through it.

The atmosphere in the PS1 version of Resident Evil (1996) is perfection for me. The sound and the eeriness of the mansion was just so chilling that you had more fear of the things that might be instead of the things that are.

I agree with you that being too overpowered in horror games suck and that is why I usually prefer playing horror games on higher difficulties. It can be a big part of the horror experience if not only the story scares you but you also have the additional fear of not being strong enough to go through the next unknown area that just unlocked and you are low on health (items) / ammunition.

VGEsoterica

Love this game. Not sure why it wasn't that well received. I think the console versions were technically terrible and it had black bars and a low FoV. Thankfully I could remove all 3 of those issues on the PC version.

In general I prefer early levels/parts of video games or horror movies/tv shows/books. Especially when they are good at setting the tone / atmosphere of what is to come. When you don't really have enough weapons/ammunition to feel safe and when you are still in the "okay what is wrong in this place" kind of phase.

I always loved the structure in Silent Hill games where you are in a hospital/apartment building/school etc. and have to go through a lot of rooms and try doors, find keys, cross it off the map and feel like you are going crazy and being afraid of going further or hoping that a door is closed instead of open. This might be a bad example for "perfect level", but I always loved it when I entered one of those "areas/levels/segments" and needed to go through it.

The atmosphere in the PS1 version of Resident Evil (1996) is perfection for me. The sound and the eeriness of the mansion was just so chilling that you had more fear of the things that might be instead of the things that are.

I agree with you that being too overpowered in horror games suck and that is why I usually prefer playing horror games on higher difficulties. It can be a big part of the horror experience if not only the story scares you but you also have the additional fear of not being strong enough to go through the next unknown area that just unlocked and you are low on health (items) / ammunition.

Totally agree. I think it's a thing horror games miss the mark on more often than not. Middle / late game and suddenly your character becomes too overpowered and the fear / challenge switches into more of a "horror action" game.

If someone took the first level of The Evil Within and extended it out into a full experience where each level / area was its own unique challenge where your character is underpowered vs everything around them and the horror PLUS the anxiety married together to make each area feel uniquely challenging and tension inducing...I'd buy that in a heartbeat!

VGEsoterica

If it was more souls-like with the checkpoints and dying - it would have been super scary yeah. Hard to get frightened playing knowing you can just restart not too far back.

I do wish when you selected difficulty levels you could also select checkpoint systems. Either "just kick me back a minute" or "make me restart the area" or 'make me restart the level"

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'm currently playing it, slowly btw, since I'm basically a very anxious person going through an anxiety inducing experience and can't play for long... But loving every inch of it.

I just started chapter 5... or 6? I don't know, I started playing Yakuza Kiwami so I'll go back once I'm done with it.

Caio

I loved The Evil Within, one of my most favourite horror game of all time. Some parts of the game are my most favourite of all time, unmatched sense of anxiety and terror. If only the tech side of the game engine was in the hands of Devs like Santa Monica or GG :D

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Tower of Latria, even Miyazaki himself has never been able to better it in later Souls' titles.

MiguelItUp

I found the game to be pretty damn enjoyable. I never understood the flak it got. Playing through 2 right now as I've never played it, and I think it's fine. Not great, not bad, but fine. So, glad I'm checking it out as well.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Thought it was a mediocre experience myself. Final boss is auto pilot as fuck. Might as well have just been a full turret section.

Elcid

Banned
I just beat it the day before yesterday. To be honest it was mediocre. I didn’t love it. It was grotesque and creepy sure, but I didn’t care for the level design or aesthetic at all. The upgrade system was annoying and I didn’t care for a lot of the story. 2 looks better so I beat 1 to be able to play 2.

Arachnid

Chapter 7 was the best chapter in the game. I fucking love the Evil Within games.

It's too bad the first went completely off the deep end in the last third.

Thank you OP for a thread on TEW! What I love about this game is that each chapter goes for a different flavor of horror. So some parts are action, some stealth, others pure survival horror like Chapter 9 for example, etc. One of the scariest parts of the game was in the city, when you're swimming as slowly as you can away from that monster that could eat you in one bite! The music there is pretty terrifying and sets the mood well. But yea, my point is that in a sense as one reviewer put it once, TEW1 is a "greatest hits" package that celebrates the survival horror genre as a whole by having the different chapters celebrate different aspects of the survival horror genre.

GymWolf

The first one was the better horror, the second one was the better game, if you combine both, comes out a 8\10 game imo.

Last edited:

Aion002

It's quite good. Too bad the rest of the game isn't as good.

A game that also gives those feelings is Dead Space, the beginning is amazing!

The Evil Within was great. The opening was like something straight out of a horror movie. There were lots of tense moments. It's amazing how Sebastian Castellanos never got an infection walking through all that crap with a busted leg.

The Evil Within was a good lesson in ammo conservation. I ran out of ammo a few times and found myself sneaking around trying to find more. I liked the sequel but the first game is the better one.

Tschumi

On topic: Horror games don't really do much for me. Beyond Resident Evil 4 on GameCube back in the day.. i prefer a more sandbox variety of suspense.. i think i know when it happened.. when i was a young teenager watching Se7en for the first time, i had to decide if i liked that sort of thing or not. I decided i didn't.

But I'm glad you guys got joy out of it.

Off topic:
Ahhh. Yokattaaaa.

Just read every comment and not one of you passionate fans has said "thank god Bethesda gave us this game".

Appears to have been a dude named Mikami?

I can mentally cross this one off a particularly disingenuous list i saw elsewhere~ i have a feeling i can cross Doom Eternal off that list, too...

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I really liked TEW and it's Sequel, but I was told it was average, guess that's changed in the last month 🤔

Neff

I dunno. I adore The Evil Within, it was my favourite game of last gen. But I think the intro is the weakest part of it. Imo it was a poor choice to introduce the player to such a hands-on, agency-heavy video game with a scripted 'hold up' scene and a copy/paste abattoir stalker.

I also wish they hadn't shown their plot hand so early. I'd have preferred it if Seb's initial hallucinations were more subtle, and the STEM experience seemingly more real at first.

Last edited:

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Unfortunately EW1 ran so so badly. I think it was the alpha effects, and it never received a pro patch.
Hopefully this game will run much better on PS5 so I can play this game through to the end. 🤞

This is possibly the most underrated game of the generation. A true gem.
Honestly, i think Horror games in general were the stand outs this generation. Never played The Evil Within but i will on the SX when it comes. Back to my point though... Alien Isolation blew me away. Not the visuals really, but everything altogether.

Arachnid

Honestly, i think Horror games in general were the stand outs this generation. Never played The Evil Within but i will on the SX when it comes. Back to my point though... Alien Isolation blew me away. Not the visuals really, but everything altogether.
Yeah, it's been a pretty good gen for horror. I still can't believe I've gotten something as amazing as Alien Isolation this gen. I know it's a game I'll hold dearly in my heart for the rest of my life with the older Silent Hills.

The stiff controls often ruined a lot of the fear of the game. I would love for them to put Evil Within 2's controls in Evil Within 1. The first game was desperately in need of a FOV slider for aiming, and a revamped stealth mechanic that actually worked.

Of course, both of these games are in my Top 20 of all time, so I agree on your points. I just feel the clunkiness makes the actual horror not last throughout the experience. I personally feel the "mansion level" portrayed true horror much better than the opening chapters. Being stalked by a ghost, having limited ammo, sneaking around rooms not wanting to be found, then finding a door that leads back to the safe main hall. Best sigh of relief I've had in a long time.

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

Yeah, it's been a pretty good gen for horror. I still can't believe I've gotten something as amazing as Alien Isolation this gen. I know it's a game I'll hold dearly in my heart for the rest of my life with the older Silent Hills.

I just hope the rumors and whispers of an internally developed by Sony Silent Hill game coming up is true. Such an amazing series that's been left dormant and unloved for far too long

VGEsoterica

The stiff controls often ruined a lot of the fear of the game. I would love for them to put Evil Within 2's controls in Evil Within 1. The first game was desperately in need of a FOV slider for aiming, and a revamped stealth mechanic that actually worked.

Of course, both of these games are in my Top 20 of all time, so I agree on your points. I just feel the clunkiness makes the actual horror not last throughout the experience. I personally feel the "mansion level" portrayed true horror much better than the opening chapters. Being stalked by a ghost, having limited ammo, sneaking around rooms not wanting to be found, then finding a door that leads back to the safe main hall. Best sigh of relief I've had in a long time.

I didn’t mind the controls really myself. That is to say I never noticed them being a hinderance

Top Bottom