• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fallacy Of Game Pass “Value”

Status
Not open for further replies.

On Demand

Banned
I’m seeing some discussions about how Gamepass saves you more money compared to PS5 since PS5 games cost $70. Here is where that perception is mistaken:games on the Series X/S will cost $70 too. The price increase of games seems to be only revolving around the PS5. I have no idea why. It’s an industry wide change. 2K was the first to announce their games will be $70 for both PS5 and SX.

Adding to that is the assumption that all these $70 games will be on Gamepass. They won’t. So SX XSS owners will be paying the same $70 too. Where is the Gamepass “value” then? Half value?

People are making the mistake of thinking all 3rd party games will be on Gamepass. They won’t.

I’m not denying Gamepass doesn’t have new games to play and isn’t worth it. All MS games will be there day one. The arguments in its favor though are painting this fantasy picture where you’re getting all games for this cheap price and that’s not true. The big 3rd party games this year like Watchdogs Legion, Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, Cyberpunk 2077, COD Cold War, NBA2K21, are all $60 to $70, all not on Gamepass. People who have Gamepass will be paying the same total cost as PS5 owners.

The point is that while Gamepass has a lot of new games on its service, it’s still limited by not having brand new 3rd party games there. The value argument is lost then since it’s those games that will be full priced and are the most popular and played games are both consoles.

FS2020 (Also On Gamepass) Sells 1 Million On PC

Sorry to say but your theory has been debunked. Multiple times, in fact. Nice try though.

Your theory seems to hinge on the fact that since not ALL 3rd-party games will be on GP, then GP's value is reduced. That's a very reductionist viewpoint to have and also unrealistic because I don't think anyone was ever saying Gamepass would have all 3rd-party content.

The value of GP doesn't come from having all 3P games; it comes from having a lot of the smaller and bigger 3P games available and, through services like EA Play also tied to the platform now, quite a few of those bigger 3P games will be day-and-date with new releases. All games on the service also provide a discount towards the purchase of said game, so you're not actually paying $70 for a game as long as it's currently on GP.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Who thinks all 3rd party games will be on Gamepass? 🤔

Point is loads of Triple AAA games will be day and date that you either won't get on the PS5 or will have to pay a premium for.

You've got an uphill battle trying to convince anyone Gamepass isn't amazing value TBH.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Third party titles not being available day one doesn't decrease the value whatsoever. You're still getting instant access to hundreds of games you would otherwise have to buy, regardless of when they were release or how much a full purchase would cost you.

Point me to literally one person on this board who claims that "all 3rd party games will be on Game Pass". I'm waiting.

Last edited:
Or we can wait until it does get on game pass or it's much cheaper. Game pass gives you a lot of games you would play but not buy. For instance none of the games you mentioned I'm interested in, but Cyberpunk. So I can buy that one game which will be $60 and wait on everything else. Most games I play end up on game pass at some point. So I can just go through the backlog unless it's a game I must have.

Last edited:

anaphase

People are making the mistake of thinking all 3rd party games will be on Gamepass. They won’t.

Who & where are these people? Not here for sure.

Everyone knows that. But a bunch of free games plus all first party titles, which now include Bethesda games, will be included in gamepass.

For example, if you get 3 third party games at launch, thats $210 plus tax. Stick with me here. If you also have to get the first party games @ $70. We're talking another $300+. Because I'm assuming you didn't just buy a PS5 to play 2k21...

Which one has more value and which one saves you money?

I literally never hear anybody say that.
Yeah this, the marketing doesn’t come close to saying this and I’ve never seen anyone say or think this be it in real life or on forums. Even outside of third party (which they do occasionally get some decent not-too-old titles), we’re looking at between 1 and 4 1st party titles a year for just the sub price as opposed to between 1 and 4 first party titles at $70 a pop (to be clear, this is 2+ years away when all the MS devs are full steam ahead). So where’s the fallacy?

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
This thread is bullshit. All MS first party games will be on there day and date. That's where the value comes from. 3rd party games are neither here nor there. If Sony had a service that negated the need to pay £60 or £70 for their games day one, it would be the same thing that MS are offering and would be incredible value, as GP is.

Last edited:

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
If Gamepass offered 1st party titles of a caliber and frequency of the likes we see on PS4, that alone would be worth the price. MS have the studios now, all that’s left is to see if they can make it worth their while to pay for constant recurring AAA development costs long-term.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Value of the service depends entirely on your habits as a gamer. I know what I'm like (find a thing I like and play it to death) so its not super-appealing to me. I've had plenty of times in my life when my range of choices has been near unlimited -perk of working in the biz- and truthfully I feel like it actually dulled my enjoyment.

Third party titles not being available day one doesn't decrease the value whatsoever. You're still getting instant access to hundreds of games you would otherwise have to buy, regardless of when they were release or how much a full purchase would cost you.

Point me to literally one person on this board who claims that "all 3rd party games will be on Game Pass". I'm waiting.

There are no games people have to buy, it's about games people want to buy. Take a look at the top 20 games in the NPD charts every month. Almost every one of them are not on gamepass. Those are the games people want to buy.

Matt_Fox

You can buy three years of Xbox Gold Live for £49.99 x3 and then use the offer of £1 to 'turn it into' Game Pass.

You get a whole year of games on Game Pass for less than the price of a single game (and online play included too).

That is incredible value anyway you look at it.

MH3M3D

For me, I just subscribe whenever a MS studios game comes out and quit. Other AAA-games, Im not waiting for them to end up on game pass one day.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
There are no games people have to buy, it's about games people want to buy. Take a look at the top 20 games in the NPD charts every month. Almost every one of them are not on gamepass. Those are the games people want to buy.

That's not what I'm saying at all - if you want to play Game X, and it's available either as an individual purchase or Game Pass, piracy aside you either have to buy it or subscribe. And if you just want to finish Game X, and are not too bothered about owning it and replaying it indefinitely, Game Pass is way better value given that you have a month to play & finish it, and any of the other hundreds of games on there.

reinking

Gold Member
Both extreme views of Game Pass make me laugh. Those that got Game Pass for “$1” using the Gold trick gloss over that they paid for 3 years of Gold. It is still a good value but not $1. Then you have the other side act like Game Pass is terrible for the industry. No it’s a good option to have.

IMO, Game Pass brings value in much the same way game rentals did with more convenience. Let’s be real, if GameFly was as convenient I would be paying them because they bring that value to all of my consoles. Game Pass is a good deal even at full price. However, $120-$180 a year ain’t nothing.

JCK75

when I don't have to drop $70 on maybe 50-60% of titles I want to play, that leaves a LOT of money to do so on the games that don't come to it.

GymWolf

You can buy three years of Xbox Gold Live for £49.99 x3 and then use the offer of £1 to 'turn it into' Game Pass.

You get a whole year of games on Game Pass for less than the price of a single game (and online play included too).

That is incredible value anyway you look at it.
Is there something similar for gamepass pc?!

Dogman

I feel like people saying Gamepass isn’t good value or just trying to downplay Gamepass are trolling at this point. God forbid Microsoft have something that is miles better than anything Sony is offering its consumers.

Why all the concern?
Unless you're on PC, Gamepass is not "miles better" than PSNow, and is entirely up to the users preference between their libraries

Ellery

Short term Gamepass is definitely a good "value". It might be subjective regarding what games are on there and what your taste is like. You get a lot of buffet and there are certainly good games on there, but that doesn't mean it is good for everyone. I know that I am going to subscripe to game, because there will be games on Gamepass that I like, but I also know that the real masterpieces I am looking forward to that can satisfy my soul and gaming thirst will still be first party Playstation and a few Nintendo games like Zelda.

Given that I don't have infinite resources of money the option of having gamepass during gaming droughts is pretty good "value" for me. Though I still think that quality is more important than quantity.

Bog

Junior Ace
Its value to me is as a rental platform to see if I want to buy the game on a platform I prefer. But I also pay like nothing for it. The day it becomes full price for me = lol.

Oh look, how edgey, another "let's devalue Game Pass" post so I can pound my chest and feel better about myself.

In response, I've recently played and completed the three Yakuza games that are in Game Pass. Just those three games paid for the service ALONE! There are tons of other games I would have never played, but because it's in Game Pass, I tried and end up liking them. That's value to m e and pretty sure many others.

Will I save more because of Game Pass, yes and no. Yes because I dont have to pay any extra money to play the Yakuza games or any other games that are in the service. That same money I would have spend on the games that I played from Game Pass can now go towards other games that are not in Game Pass or accessories.

So yes, there's huge value in Game Pass and if you dont see it, then that's your problem.

Last edited:

CAB_Life

Right now I’m playing Destiny 2 + the expansion that hasn’t even released that’s bundled in on Gamepass ($100+ for all those games separately), so you’re talking right out of your ass. Most huge 3rd party games from Nier to Destiny 2 are and will continue to be on the platform, so please educate yourself.

P.S. Any Destiny clans on here? This game is waaaaaay better now than I remembered from launch.

I see OP's point. It's a narrative that's building. Maybe Sony's marketing should get on the job. That's what they're paid to do. It has been smart by MS to create the perception around it through influencers. The masses and details don't mix well. MS is counting on that.

Concern

More Concern 🤔🤔🤔

Who thought all third party games will be on Gamepass? When did Microsoft announce their games will also be $70?

Please do enlighten us 🤔

Chukhopops

I think the best part is being able to try new games and genres, just a few examples of games I would never have bought otherwise but enjoyed on GP:
  • Remnant from the ashes
  • Man of Medan
  • World War Z
  • Children of Morta
  • Age of Wonders : Planetfall
  • Crusader Kings 3
  • Crosscode
  • Downwell
It's just nice to see new games being added all the time, downloading them and trying them just like that knowing I can play them if I like.

I also think you need both an Xbox and a PC for the best experience, as console has more titles but some just play better on PC (Wasteland 3 on Xbox is unplayable IMO).

MiguelItUp

I mean, yes, compared to the price of new games Game Pass IS saving you money. Why does the "compared to PS5" portion even matter at all? It really doesn't. Whoever partakes in Game Pass will save money as long as those titles and the titles are titles they're interested in and now they'll want to partake in. That's really it.

Is it for everyone? No. But those that have it feel like it's worth every cent, and I can't help but agree.

soulbait

Considering I play almost all of MS first party games (except for Crackdown 3. that is trash), I play a ton of Bethesda game, and I have already been paying for EA play, it is a huge value for me.

Value is subjective, so to call something a "value fallacy" is actually a fallacy in your own thinking process. Just because you do not find value in something, it does not mean others do not. Just because Gamepass does not appeal to you, it does not mean it does not appeal to others.

So Gamepass does not work for you. Okay, but that does not mean other people won't get great value out of it. I personally do not find PSNow appealing, but others do. They find value in the backlog of streaming games, along with the ability to download older PS4 games. Good for them. I am not going to make a post about it, trying to convince a bunch of strangers that they are wrong for finding value in it.

wolffy71

Banned
The entire premise of ur argument is invalid. Nobody thinks gamepass is a good value vs other services because of $70 games.

You're overcomplicating things.

sublimit

Banned
You're right OP. A lot of people downplay the PS5 on Youtube and forums by saying "PS5 owners will be paying 70$ for their games but we will be getting them on GP for free" and right now this misinformation is spreading from mouth to mouth (thanks also to MS's marketing).
Will smaller indie titles also cost 70$? No they will not and a lot of those titles will be on GP as well. Even some AAA games will definitely be on GP on day 1 (for a limited time though unlike those people who actually pay full price for them) but these will not be ALL AAA titles. Yet no one says that these titles will be 70$ on Xbox as well.

There's this notion that a lot of people idiotically (or cunningly) are spreading that gaming will be cheaper on Xbox when it will actually be the same as on PS5. It's all about what you will be playing.
Will you want to play the games MS will be offering you on GP instead of the AAA you REALLY WANT to play that costs 70$ and wait for it until it drops in place or until it enters GP?Yes you can do that.
But PS5 owners can also do that. They could choose to play something cheaper (like the small games that will be on GP) and get the AAA game they really want when it drops in price and without having to pay a monthly subscription (and actually own the game).

The only true benefit will be MS's own AAA exclusives but these will not come out as often as people think or as often as MS wished they would judging from the Halo Infinite fiasco.

This new era of online "influence" is all about spreading half-truths and confusion. Technically you don't lie but you don't say the whole truth either. All companies do that either directly or indirectly through official PR statements and also by paid influencers and astroturfers but Xbox fanboys have really made spining half-truths into facts to become an artform.

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

Is there something similar for gamepass pc?!

You can buy the Xbox Gold Live for 12 Months via Amazon (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DR1TFM8/) and you'll get a code. You can redeem that code on the Xbox Store on an Xbox One or an Xbox 360 - I do believe you can also redeem it on your PC if you dont have a console but you'd better check that.

If you like you can do that three times to buy a subscription up to 2023. Next you go on the Xbox Store again and in the Game Pass section you'll see the option to buy a £1 subscription. Buy that and it upgrades whatever time you have on Xbox Gold Live into Game Pass Ultimate (which covers PC gaming too).

DonF

Game pass is a great value, but people need to be coherent.
Everytime a PS plus game was "free" haters were quick to point out that game were not really free, but now game pass is Microsoft's charity? Hell no.

Also, if game pass does well (or better) they are going to increase it's price until it's not convenient.

Same thing happened with netflix. I used to think it was a great value but now, I might cancel it. Amazon prime is what I watch the most and it costs half (at least in my country)

RoboFu

One of the green rats
huh? There is no fallacy.. its a good deal. For the price of one $70 game you can play any of the hundreds of gamepass games for 4 months with xbl gold included. Of course no one thinks its all games as there is a " COMING TO GAMEPASS " news stream. No one has ever said its all games.

ULTIMATE
Get your first month for $1,
then $14.99/mo.*
JOIN FOR $1
*Subscription continues automatically.
  • Access to over 100 high-quality games for console, PC, and Android mobile devices
  • New games added all the time
  • Xbox Game Studio titles the same day as release
  • Exclusive member discounts and deals
  • Free perks including in-game content and partner offers
  • Play games on your Android mobile phone and tablet from the cloud (Beta)
ALSO INCLUDES:

(A $9.99/MO. VALUE)
Xbox Live Gold includes Deals with Gold, Games with Gold, and console multiplayer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom