• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fallacy Of Game Pass “Value”

Status
Not open for further replies.

pasterpl

I’m seeing some discussions about how Gamepass saves you more money compared to PS5 since PS5 games cost $70. Here is where that perception is mistaken:games on the Series X/S will cost $70 too. The price increase of games seems to be only revolving around the PS5. I have no idea why. It’s an industry wide change. 2K was the first to announce their games will be $70 for both PS5 and SX.

Adding to that is the assumption that all these $70 games will be on Gamepass. They won’t. So SX XSS owners will be paying the same $70 too. Where is the Gamepass “value” then? Half value?

People are making the mistake of thinking all 3rd party games will be on Gamepass. They won’t.

I’m not denying Gamepass doesn’t have new games to play and isn’t worth it. All MS games will be there day one. The arguments in its favor though are painting this fantasy picture where you’re getting all games for this cheap price and that’s not true. The big 3rd party games this year like Watchdogs Legion, Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, Cyberpunk 2077, COD Cold War, NBA2K21, are all $60 to $70, all not on Gamepass. People who have Gamepass will be paying the same total cost as PS5 owners.

The point is that while Gamepass has a lot of new games on its service, it’s still limited by not having brand new 3rd party games there. The value argument is lost then since it’s those games that will be full priced and are the most popular and played games are both consoles.

you are forgetting that with purchase of Bethesda Microsoft became one of the biggest game publishers in the world and all of their games will be day one on gamepass, then add ea play to this, and games like rdr2, metro etc. and there you have the amazing value

I feel like people saying Gamepass isn’t good value or just trying to downplay Gamepass are trolling at this point. God forbid Microsoft have something that is miles better than anything Sony is offering its consumers.

Why all the concern?
My only concern is that it promotes digital only, and that it'll lead to an eventual digital only age. If that's already happening then I fear that this wouldn't only make it faster.

If you have Game Pass and don't need to pay $70 for first party games or $70 or $40 for other third party games, you have some money left to buy a few big third party AAA games, too.
That's the point. Game Pass is cheaper than buying 5 first party games at $70 and 5 other third party games at $70. That is 6 years worth of Game Pass

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Game Pass is $120 year (GPU is $180 but includes $60 Gold, so it's still $120)

So even if you pay regular price and never bothered doing deals, it's the equivalent of about 2 full priced games per year.

GPU on Nov 10 will do include EA Access which is $30 value too. So if you do EA already, GPU is basically $90 cost (or 1.5 games) if your doing Gold anyway.

Rikkori

PointedImpeccableDarklingbeetle-size_restricted.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Read this as you getting a GPU that'd last 'till summer 2022 xD.

Hell of a deal that'd of been, where o where can I buy a rock-solid GPU for $1?
Sub to 3 years of Gold (max out your profile to 3 years of gold membership) and apply the $1 deal.

Last summer I topped out my Gold to 2022, applied the $1 and poof! GPU till summer 2022. It's Home Sharing too, so my buddy and I split it so we both have access to it.

mr.dilya

Banned
Hmmmm. Nah, game pass is the future of video game consumption. It is what it is. The days of paying 70 dollars for a video game that you won’t ever pick up again after you finish with it are numbered.

martino

All Microsoft first party exclusives will be on gamepass, that's more than half the reason people will buy it. OP is lacking rational thought.

Lot of people (more?) don't really care about MS first party though !

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
For me it's a pretty obvious statement - Game Pass saves you a ton of money on first party content. With third party games you still get a chance they may be included later on, it's not like these games avoid the service completely.

C'mon don't be too greedy and don't expect everything to be in Game Pass while maintaining a reasonably low monthly subscription price.

On Demand

Banned
I’ve addressed MS first party being there day one and a bunch of recent games. That’s still doesn’t address the misconception of assuming every single game being on there. Like eventually even a GP subscriber will be coming hundreds of dollars out of pocket.

Remember that I’m framing this in comparison to PlayStation like people love to do. Where it is said a GP subscriber can get access to games for a $1 and don’t have to pay for games full priced. Yeah in fact you do. So you’re so called saving money while at the same time still spending a lot of money? Great.

I feel like people saying Gamepass isn’t good value or just trying to downplay Gamepass are trolling at this point. God forbid Microsoft have something that is miles better than anything Sony is offering its consumers.

Why all the concern?

Miles better than Sony offers it’s consumers. You mean like actual games? You don’t want to go there.

PS5 has 5 first party titles at launch. How many does SX have? I mean this is a new generation, games should ready to show and play on the most powerful valued added console besides last generation games that are prettier.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
People are making the mistake of thinking all 3rd party games will be on Gamepass. They won’t.
Who are those?

GamePass is a really great value by far. Maybe not that much for US because is US$10 a month, or US$120 a year. Or close to two "normal price" games. But in Brazil, GamePass is R$30, and a single game is R$350. You're very much paying for a single game the same price for a whole year of GamePass

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
As a pc game pass user I was ready to bail when the Price went up. Wasn't worth it to me for Just MS 1st party stuff. Then they bought Bethesda and added ea play to it. Can't complain, now.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Who are those?

GamePass is a really great value by far. Maybe not that much for US because is US$10 a month, or US$120 a year. Or close to two "normal price" games. But in Brazil, GamePass is R$30, and a single game is R$350. You're very much paying for a single game the same price for a whole year of GamePass
Some people are really salty GP is great value and all first party games (including new Bethesda games) will be day oners too.

They'll do anything to justify paying $70 instead of having an option for GP.

Just imagine if Sony gamers had an option to have DS Remake, Sackboy, MM and Destruction All Stars as PS Now day oners. Or like always, the usual option for buying it outright. But some people will protect the $50-70 price to defend the roost.

Last edited:

devilNprada

It's a supplimental service... No subscription service has everything... Hence we as consumers can subscribe to multiple services we feel provide Value.
I also have Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO, and Disney Plus.

In the console war defense though, I feel Sony can also provide a great package with a combination of Games/Movies and Music, if it ever comes to that.

Last edited:

web3x

I don't think it's a fallacy. I do believe however it is a "trojan horse"

They are just trying to change the model from ownership to renting/subscription.

it's a proven business model ala Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, and everyone else jumping on the band wagon

Next step will be the games broken into parts (e.g. Hitman, Walking Dead, etc) Then you'll want to keep the services all the time.

Look at movie disc sales. Who buys DVD/Blu Ray anymore? We just watch what the service we subscribe to has.

I don't hate it, I just hope the quality won't suffer in the long run.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't think it's a fallacy. I do believe however it is a "trojan horse"

They are just trying to change the model from ownership to renting/subscription.

it's a proven business model ala Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, and everyone else jumping on the band wagon

Next step will be the games broken into parts (e.g. Hitman, Walking Dead, etc) Then you'll want to keep the services all the time.

Look at movie disc sales. Who buys DVD/Blu Ray anymore? We just watch what the service we subscribe to has.

I don't hate it, I just hope the quality won't suffer in the long run.
I bet the same people who are anti game sub are the same ones who love Spotify and Netflix. I bet they haven't bought an album or BR movie in years.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

I think this is more, "games released in a very basic state which will be constantly updated". Telltale is dead and Hitman 3 is going to be released all at once. Episodic gaming had its time.

Even Microsoft's own Tell Me Why released it's three episodes across three weeks, that's still one month of subscription. They could easily have spaced those episodes out further to keep people on the line.

On Demand

Banned
Hmmmm. Nah, game pass is the future of video game consumption. It is what it is. The days of paying 70 dollars for a video game that you won’t ever pick up again after you finish with it are numbered.

I need you to think that through. That would not be a good thing.

Thabass

Are they though?

No...the answer is no. Maybe people who don't know how the game industry works, but for those gamers (see: most of them) who have the service pretty much knows how it works. Licensing, again, is the key factor on who and what games show up on the service. There's no big mystery how this all works.

I’ve addressed MS first party being there day one and a bunch of recent games. That’s still doesn’t address the misconception of assuming every single game being on there. Like eventually even a GP subscriber will be coming hundreds of dollars out of pocket.

Remember that I’m framing this in comparison to PlayStation like people love to do. Where it is said a GP subscriber can get access to games for a $1 and don’t have to pay for games full priced. Yeah in fact you do. So you’re so called saving money while at the same time still spending a lot of money? Great.

Miles better than Sony offers it’s consumers. You mean like actual games? You don’t want to go there.

PS5 has 5 first party titles at launch. How many does SX have? I mean this is a new generation, games should ready to show and play on the most powerful valued added console besides last generation games that are prettier.

Goodness, get decimated with facts and then pull out the fanboy rhetoric. Nice 👍

You seem to really miss the point here because you're not in a headspace to accept anything outside of your narrative. Yes, GP saves you money. You're not forced to buy games that are on GP; however if you choose to buy them, you get a discount because they are currently on GP. If you decide you don't want to buy those games then you can still play them through GP until they may happen to be taken out of the rotation.

This is really not complicated to understand, but you're trying your best to do so.

Also what does Sony's 1P offerings have to do in this? You started this discussion framing it around 3P titles, now suddenly you focus on 1P? And the main reason you do so, is to enforce your opinion of Sony having the better 1P games, and MS not having any for Series launch? Well, you're free to have that preference of opinion, but it's extremely petty of you to bring it up in the context you do, because it comes off as very defensive and to then use it as a dismissive dig towards MS just makes it look kind of pathetic.

I think most of us would agree MS dropped the ball with not having at least one big IP AAA game ready for launch, and the one they had planned (Halo Infinite) had to be delayed. Okay, we know this. But how does that even factor into your original argument about GP not being a great value for gamers because they "still have to buy the third party games"? (which is a false premise, as already stated: you aren't forced to buy any games).

Wait a sec'...no, your original argument wasn't seemingly the actual intent of your argument, going by this response you posted.

I need you to think that through. That would not be a good thing.

It's not good for customers to avoid paying $70 for a game they may never actually end up completing? Are you making this into a pro-corporations argument?

You do realize that devs and pubs are financially compensated for providing their games on GP, right (we can debate about how sustainable that would be for MS, but then you have to consider there is a point where the service reaches enough numbers to have those subscriber numbers act as the potential compensation all on its own, which could also mean any direct compensation from MS can be minimized. Kinda how this stuff tends to work over time)?

That we have factual evidence of games which have enjoyed sales boosts due to being on GP? That even if there was no GP and people still needed to buy the games outright, the actual devs wouldn't be getting the lions-share of that cash, even as royalty bonuses in their contracts? Because quite a lot of publishers are just that greedy with that sort of thing and shortchange the actual developers?

Jeez, dude...

I feel Sony can also provide a great package with a combination of Games/Movies and Music, if it ever comes to that.

This is something they'll have to do in order to stay competitive on the services front. Including doing something the VOD offerings we've been seeing on Disney+ and such, for their Sony Pictures films (at least some of them) while still playing friendly with the theater chains.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Game Pass has value, as long as you accept its limitations.

Personally, I wouldn't get any value out of Game Pass, which is why I don't subscribe to it. Others have different priorities and different values, tens of millions, based on the number of current subscribers.

Game Pass preachers are annoying. Saying Game Pass has no value is annoying. We're arguing over coupons. It's absurd.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The great thing about GP too is that it is a feature that is sharable with Home Sharing. So as long as you got a trustworhy friend or fam member, you split the costs and both have it,

DaGwaphics

Sub to 3 years of Gold (max out your profile to 3 years of gold membership) and apply the $1 deal.

Last summer I topped out my Gold to 2022, applied the $1 and poof! GPU till summer 2022. It's Home Sharing too, so my buddy and I split it so we both have access to it.

I did the same, but wasn't as greedy (I just stacked one more year of gold onto what I had). I think my deal runs out in Nov 2021. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Aion002

I think that game pass is great and is aimed at a lot of people.

For a small sum you have access to 100+ old games and all Xbox Studios games on day one, that's incredible value.

I know people on Xbox that only plays Halo, Gears and COD, with game pass they only need to buy one game per year and have access to a lot of other games.

Now with the acquisition of Bethesda and possibly more studios, Game Pass seems amazing.

- This comment was not sponsored by MS and was made by a Playstation fan....

8d4.gif

Last edited:

Neo_game

I think it is great for casual gamers. They never have to buy a game again and there is always something to play. It is a netflix of games. I think their plan is to have tons of DLC and microtransaction. They will find a way to make it profit out of it. I do not like this idea though.

manfestival

I think you don't have an Xbox, and you don't use Gamepass to see the value in 1st person.
I mean... I don't own an xbox but I totally see the value in game pass. It is so straight forward you have to be blind to not see it. There is even MORE value on console since there are titles that are console only or just haven't been given a game pass iteration(ie: Man of Medan).
Thanks to Game pass I have tried many games I would have never purchased or touched. It convinced me to buy a couple since I didn't expect to have gamepass as some sorta permanent service. This is also not including the random collaborated effort deals that they do with some other companies.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think it is great for casual gamers. They never have to buy a game again and there is always something to play. It is a netflix of games. I think their plan is to have tons of DLC and microtransaction. They will find a way to make it profit out of it. I do not like this idea though.
Totally.

GP is really just a pricier better version of EA Access which are all games that are 10 months old or more.

Some gamers are day one $70 spenders. Some gamers don't give a shit about launch day games and don't even know what games are even coming out. My brother is itching to get a new console since the last one his fam has is PS3. All he cares about is hockey as a day one game. He has no clue or interest in other games, but just wants him and the fam to have a slew of games to dick around with. That's where PS Now fits in if he gets a PS5. He was a bargain gamer looking for whatever shit he could find for $20. So when he said he got UC2, UC3 was already out. He's that kind of gamer. He probably didn't even know UC3 was even out.

But do a sub plan and just live with whatever games show up on the list and they're happy.

Core gamers have no problem buying games at full pop every month. Add it up and someone might spend $1000 on games.

The typical casual will be like.... Fuck that. I want some games for the fam and me, but I'll commit a couple hundred and thats good enough.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
You can play hundreds of different games throughout the year for the sole fee of your Game Pass subscription, including big AAA games from Microsoft and many games from Third Parties, even if they arrive later.

Nothing can be said to downplay this offer : it is simply fantastic. I am currently subscribed to Game Pass and I am going to complete many games without having to pay full price for them. I also could try a few that I would never have tried before and will definitely buy them down the road. And I have tried others and confirmed that I found them to be pretty bad. All of this for a small monthly fee. You can even pick just one month, try a ton of things, and that's it.

The value is unbeatable.

You shouldn't have gone there. You just threw your original argument in the trash where it belongs.

You claim people think Gamepass will include all third party games. You were promptly BTFO since obviously nobody ever thought that because Microsoft never made the claim that all 3rd party titles will be on the service in the first place. You then pulled the "No games" argument and compared launch lineups in a thread that you created about Gamepass value to deflect the argument towards a new subject. Why the change of subject? Are we talking this supposed Gamepass value fallacy you've discovered or is this now a thread discussing launch lineups for the new consoles? Your argument collapsed under the weight of your ignorance and you hit the console warz button to get out of the mess you created.

giphy.gif

Gamepass is not made for everyone. Some people don't want a recurring payment. Some people prefer just buying a game to renting games. Some people don't spend enough time gaming to make full use of the service. Some people seem to think it gives them herpes based on how they react to the mere mention of it. Since it's not mandatory, they have that option and nobody cares that they don't use Gamepass because why would they? For some reason though, you felt the need to "inform" Gamepass users that they actually should not be enjoying the service because you have cracked the code and have discovered something nobody else did.

Microsoft isn't delivering something it never said it would deliver.

Diabolical!
giphy.gif

The only fallacy you exposed with this thread is your own. Your mistaken belief that nobody has been paying attention since Gamepass launched in 2017 and believed something they were never told by someone that never said it.

ruvikx

Banned
Doom Eternal is 70 euros on the Playstation store here as I type. Meanwhile, the same Doom Eternal has just landed on Gamepass. Moral of the story? Gamepass is a really, really good deal.

And a personal note here: I've wasted countless moneys for years buying "AAA" blockbusters which I didn't even enjoy. Gamepass is therefor a very welcome alternative whereby I get to try loads of different games before I find one I love. That happened when I found The Surge 2 which is one of my favorite games in recent years. Thanks to Gamepass.

How the hell am I going to find these little gems without Gamepass? i.e. buy every release at 70/80 euros & "hope" one of them is a game I enjoy? Yeah I don't think so.

Alebrije

I think it has value if you have plenty of time and like most of its catalog. I subscribed becuase of all the games 8 were good to me but a have just downloaded 3 and ended 2. The lack of time for some of us makes the service not as great as is for others. Once I end those 8 games will stop subscription abs wait for 8 new ones ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom