• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fallen Angels; an unfinished and barely if at all released 2D arcade fighting game that would go on to inspire SNK and KOF

VGEsoterica

It's not every day you get a fighting game that was unfinished and potentially unreleased...but The Fallen Angels fits both of those categories and still manages to be a pretty impressive and fun fighting game at the same time.

Psiyko and Steel Hearts co-developed a new fighting game that was supposed to rival if not exceed what SNK and Capcom was offering at the time....and maybe they could have pulled it off? But SOMETHING went wrong during development and the game was never truly finished. Four characters remain in the game code that cannot be accessed in game, there is barely any story whatsoever and there are still some graphical glitches and code issues. But what is there shows some legit promise.

So...did it actually release? Nobody is quite sure. A few kits exist out in the wild but could as easily have been location test versions sent to operators vs actually sold boards. People convert other Psiyko boards TO The Fallen Angels...but nobody can truly agree on whether or not the game actually released or not. It's not often there is not a definitive "cancelled or released' question...but GAF...if you know more examples of that I'd love to hear them.

Apparently (its been delayed multiple times) The Fallen Angels is being finished with a release hopefully sometime in 2023. A few decades later than expected...but what an odd story that is? Game dusted off and buttoned up 25+ years later and finally finished.

But GAF...what cancelled game would you like to see revived and released? I am sure you have some opinions

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Googling it, it's a 1998 game. Fantastic animation. But ya as OP says in the video, the stage art has a very drab colour pallete. No doubt they wanted to make the characters stand out, but seems overdone.

sachos

Looks pretty cool! The art quality is really high, more than AoF3 reminds me of Garou MotW or The Last Blade.

Fuz

Banned
Man, looks like I really played every single fighting game of the arcade era.

Googling it, it's a 1998 game. Fantastic animation. But ya as OP says in the video, the stage art has a very drab colour pallete. No doubt they wanted to make the characters stand out, but seems overdone.
Maybe I'm misremembering, but there was another fighting game that used a very similar art style and color palette... my brain is suggesting something related to Matrimelee (which is obviously not). Probably mixing up my memories.

MrA

Banned
Man, looks like I really played every single fighting game of the arcade era.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but there was another fighting game that used a very similar art style and color palette... my brain is suggesting something related to Matrimelee (which is obviously not). Probably mixing up my memories.
Groove on fight? Pretty drab looking entry in the same series

Reactions: Fuz

ParaSeoul

I'm kinda surprised the best friends play channel managed to cover a lot of the more obscure fighting games over their run

SkylineRKR

I played this game on MAME not long after its supposed release, it was still in the 90's I think. I actually didn't know its release was questioned. The ROM existed and was playable.

I read there was a finished edition announced for home consoles, quite a few years ago already. Would be interesting.

Top Bottom