The Famitsu Thread of 6th Feb 2009

Shouta said:
It is the best Growlanser, simply because it's the most thorough and complete one. It's the full package as a game where the other Growlansers fall a bit short in varying areas. Very satisfying game.
I kind of got an 'incomplete' vibe with G2. Der Langrisser felt like it had no 'main' story path, where any path you took was a full and satisfying game unto itself. G2 had the main path with a few variations for girls, a bad ending, and a completely different and shorter 'villain' path. Is G1 more like DL in that regard?

Growlanser 3 really sucked in terms of story branching, but I liked the personality and dialog system.
 

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Yaweee said:
I never got it until I had a PS2, so I didn't notice much of a problem. There weren't any attempts to hide the loads (what an ugly loading screen), but, eh, not nearly the most bothersome part of the game.

Redboot- The first-person dungeons remain, and it looks almost exactly the same except the character portraits on the right side of the screen.
God, I can't imagine it on a PS1. The PS2 was bad enough.

And yeah, it is that bad. Really ugly loading screen, really comes up too often and really is the worst part of the game. Not saying the US version wasn't gimped and weird (MARK!!!!!!!!!!) but still.
 
Looks like the anime FMVs for Persona PSP aren't even traditional animation. It's CG celshaded FMVs. It's being done by the same studio that did FMVs for BoF5, Yangus and FFT PSP (and incidentally the TGS image video for DQIX), but it doesn't really look as good as any of those. Maybe on par with BoF5's FMVs....

It's Kamikaze Douga for those wondering: http://www.kamikazedouga.co.jp/index2.html
 
Yaweee said:
I kind of got that vibe with Growlanser 2. Der Langrisser felt like it had no 'main' story path, where any path you took felt like a full and satisfying game unto itself. G2 had the main path with a few variations for girls, a bad ending, and a completely different and shorter 'villain' path. Is G1 more like DL in that regard?

Growlanser 3 really sucked in terms of story branching, but I liked the personality and dialog system.
Langrisser is a different series.

GL1's general structure is similar to GL3 in that it's an RPG with an SRPG battle system and you can walk from town to town. GL1 doesn't have an overworld like GL3 though, it's more like the original Star Ocean or Star Ocean 3 where paths connect towns like dungeons.

GL1 has a single game path since the story is pretty long and exansive but what characters you use and end up with will vary depending on how you interact with them through various vacations and other events in the game. Growlanser 2 is really the odd duck out of all the Growlanser games. While it has its merits, the story isn't nearly as strong and it's a far shorter game.
 
amodf said:
awesome the sf4 alternate costumes are in fact paid dlc. i hope they're expensive!

oh awesome they are.

400yen on psn, 320 ms points, 5 different packs.

or you can get all costumes for 1200 yen / 1000 microsoft points.

only 12 dollars, that's wonderful.
WTF? F U CAPCOM!
 
Shouta said:
Langrisser is a different series.

GL1's general structure is similar to GL3 in that it's an RPG with an SRPG battle system and you can walk from town to town. GL1 doesn't have an overworld like GL3 though, it's more like the original Star Ocean or Star Ocean 3 where paths connect towns like dungeons.

GL1 has a single game path since the story is pretty long and exansive but what characters you use and end up with will vary depending on how you interact with them through various vacations and other events in the game. Growlanser 2 is really the odd duck out of all the Growlanser games. While it has its merits, the story isn't nearly as strong and it's a far shorter game.
I know they're is a different series, but I thought Growlanser was kind of the followup by many of the same people? GL2 kind of struck me as having quite a few similarities.

What makes GL3 so much worse than the other games in the series, if they use the same basic story and game structures? Is it really just an issue of GL1 being fuller?

RevenantKioku said:
God, I can't imagine it on a PS1. The PS2 was bad enough.

And yeah, it is that bad. Really ugly loading screen, really comes up too often and really is the worst part of the game. Not saying the US version wasn't gimped and weird (MARK!!!!!!!!!!) but still.
Okay, I tossed in the game, and you're right, the load times are awful. Not only are they almost all 5-7 seconds long, but they're all over the place as the game switches from 3D to 2D to 3D to 2D.

They should spend the time and money to update the world map. Or, you know, slap on some textures.

The soundtrack is awesome.
 
Hmm, the two new Growlanser girls look interesting. I always thought the first Growlanser had the best group of playable characters. A good balance of different designs.
 
Yaweee said:
I know they're is a different series, but I thought Growlanser was kind of the followup by many of the same people? GL2 kind of struck me as having quite a few similarities.

What makes GL3 so much worse than the other games in the series, if they use the same basic story and game structures? Is it really just an issue of GL1 being fuller?
Aside from the name kind of being similar, they aren't really follow-ups as the game type is totally different. It is indeed made by the same folks though.

GL3 has a pretty weak story and the gameplay isn't nearly as robust or as interesting as the other iterations of the game. Both the magical and political element of the story isn't done all that well or it's not taken far enough. The introduction of the new magic system (where you have to combine spells for bigger ones) was lackluster as well. It's also extremely easy on the whole. I do like some of the characters and the premise of the story but it just wasn't fleshed out all the way.
 
B.K. said:
But it was a Square Enix game. There's no way Sony would have ever said no to Square Enix.
QFT

however, sony is also a little more desperate for good PSP games than when they were shooting down nice stuff early on in the system's lifespan, y'know? plus, the persona series is huge, and i bet atlus makes the case. i also imagine they'd localize it and include content that wasn't in the PS1 version (i.e. snow queen quest!) so that counts as exciting as well.
 
ferricide said:
however, sony is also a little more desperate for good PSP games than when they were shooting down nice stuff early on in the system's lifespan, y'know?
Yeah. I've heard they've really relaxed their standards for PSP games. I don't have any doubts that they would let Atlus do Growlanser or Persona, but it all depends on whether Atlus wants to do them or not.

There's really not any doubt in my mind that we'll get Persona. It's a popular series for them these days. They reprinted Persona 2, so they know there's a demand for the games. My only concern is with Growlanser. It's not a big series for them. I'm afraid they'll skip it. We had to depend on Working Designs for II and III because Atlus wouldn't do anything with them. Then they decide not to localize IV or VI.
 
Oooh, two new characters for GL1, eh? Designs are pretty good, better than some of the later designs in the series. I hope they add some new male characters and not just female ones though.

I wonder if my local convenience store has the new famitsu...
 

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Shouta said:
Oooh, two new characters for GL1, eh? Designs are pretty good, better than some of the later designs in the series. I hope they add some new male characters and not just female ones though.

I wonder if my local convenience store has the new famitsu...
This is growlanser, you know that isn't going to happen.
 
Hcoregamer00 said:
This is growlanser, you know that isn't going to happen.
Actually, the series has been pretty good about balancing the casts. It's just that the girls are the only ones that ever get any attention since all the players are male. :lol
 

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Shouta said:
Actually, the series has been pretty good about balancing the casts. It's just that the girls are the only ones that ever get any attention since all the players are male. :lol
True, and the normally strong female fanbase for RPG's would ignore this kind of game.
 
Hcoregamer00 said:
True, and the normally strong female fanbase for RPG's would ignore this kind of game.
It's a darn shame too because there are a lot of male characters in the series that would totally be bait for the female fanbase.

It's kind of funny though, the strength of the cast tends to switch gender from game to game with one having a really good female cast where as another game as the better male cast. GL is about the only series that's ever struck me that way though.
 
amodf said:
awesome the sf4 alternate costumes are in fact paid dlc. i hope they're expensive!

oh awesome they are.

400yen on psn, 320 ms points, 5 different packs.

or you can get all costumes for 1200 yen / 1000 microsoft points.

only 12 dollars, that's wonderful.
Wait, when you say alternate costumes, are you talking strictly about bonus costumes, or are these just alternate colors?
 
RevenantKioku said:
And yeah, it is that bad. Really ugly loading screen, really comes up too often and really is the worst part of the game. Not saying the US version wasn't gimped and weird (MARK!!!!!!!!!!) but still.
the funny thing is that loading screen is only in the US version. the japanese version doesn't have any loading screen, but SCEA required them over a certain amount of time spent loading (and yes, it has long load times.)

people who are mean about persona 1 are bad people. it was 199-fucking-6.
 
Shouta said:
Oooh, two new characters for GL1, eh? Designs are pretty good, better than some of the later designs in the series. I hope they add some new male characters and not just female ones though.
Yeah, it would be good to balance it out. I always look forward to the characters the most in Growlanser games.

Did the first Growlanser have MC paired endings with all the playable character ala Growlanser II, etc?
 
Pawapuro on the move!

Major League 3 renamed as 2009, hitting PS2/Wii like the first two (5980Y each) on April 29th instead of October like the first two.

I don't really understand the logic behind this, sure the last one bombed and they needed to move it but just a month later than ANOTHER Pawapuro hitting PS2/Wii in March (called 2009/NEXT) and I wonder what does this mean for the PSP Pawapuro since the 3 titles there were April, April and May releases. Going to be quite crowded unless they are moving the PSP one to the July slot that has been the home to 15 editions/years of console Pawapuro.


Persona PSP and Growlanser PSP, quite meh imo, PSP was already killed by ports/rehashes/low-effort titles, doesn't look good to see ports back already, although it seems they have a little more effort this time.
 
Gunloc said:
Yeah, it would be good to balance it out. I always look forward to the characters the most in Growlanser games.

Did the first Growlanser have MC paired endings with all the playable character ala Growlanser II, etc?
GL1 has an event for the character you have the highest relationship with (can't recall if they included male characters) towards the end but I don't recall it being a paired ending. However, it's been awhile since I've played the game so I could be wrong.
 
amodf said:
awesome the sf4 alternate costumes are in fact paid dlc. i hope they're expensive!

oh awesome they are.

400yen on psn, 320 ms points, 5 different packs.

or you can get all costumes for 1200 yen / 1000 microsoft points.

only 12 dollars, that's wonderful.
so i'm guessing that folks whom have bought the CE will have to choose between these five packs rather than being able to pick out five individual costumes that they want

if so, that sucks
 
Another Code R review summary :

- The transition to 3D improved the cinematic direction
- Big emphasis on story/dialogues over the purely puzzles based aspect.
- Story is in the vein of a young adult novel.
- Music is splendid
- The emphasis on the story is such that the pace of the game suffers somehow.
- Not enough puzzles.
 
Stormbringer said:
Another Code R review summary :

- The transition to 3D improved the cinematic direction
- Big emphasis on story/dialogues over the purely puzzles based aspect.
- Story is in the vein of a young adult novel.
- Music is splendid
- The emphasis on the story is such that the pace of the game suffers somehow.
- Not enough puzzles.
Sounds pretty good to me except for the lack of puzzles. I want this game NoA, please stop sleeping at the wheel and do something.
 

Link

The Autumn Wind
Stormbringer said:
Another Code R review summary :

- The transition to 3D improved the cinematic direction
- Big emphasis on story/dialogues over the purely puzzles based aspect.
- Story is in the vein of a young adult novel.
- Music is splendid
- The emphasis on the story is such that the pace of the game suffers somehow.
- Not enough puzzles.
A Nintendo game that's dragged down by the story? Am I reading this right?
 
Didn't see this yet:

Street Fighter IV (PS3/Xbox 360, Capcom): 9 / 8 / 8 / 9 - (34/40)
Mario & Luigi RPG 3 (NDS, Nintendo): 9 / 9 / 8 / 9 - (35/40)
Another Code:R - Kioku no Tobira (Wii, Nintendo): 7 / 7 / 7 / 7 - (28/40)
Tantei Jinguuji Saburo DS: Fuserareta Shinjitsu (NDS, Arc System Works): 7 / 7 / 7 / 6 - (27/40)
Hidamari Sketch: Doko Demo Sugoroku x 365 (NDS, Idea Factory): 6 / 6 / 6 / 6 - (24/40)
Saka no Gabaibaa-Chan (NDS, TryFirst): 6 / 6 / 5 / 5 - (22/40)
Skate It (Wii, EA): 6 / 6 / 6 / 6 - (24/40)
Skate 2 (PS3/Xbox 360, EA): 8 / 8 / 8 / 8 - (32/40)
 
I think playing Persona after the awesomeness of the Persona 3/4 presentation is going to be hard and it being a port of a thirteen year old ps1 game... I don't know what are Atlus expectations. A ds port would have been more fitting imo.

Yes, I wanted a full remake with Persona 3/4 graphics :(
 
Why is it when a hyped game gets an average Famitsu score everyone is like "lol Famitsu" and "moneybags!" but when a game get's a great score everyone celebrates? I mean, I don't mind Famitsu scores as any indication is a good indication, but it just seems there's double standards. Maybe I'm just generalizing...

I wasn't a fan of the first two (didn't really give the second one a chance) but I'll hopefully look into M&L3 once it's out. Though, where the hell is the coverage? The game's coming out soon in Japan but there's nothing about it. All I can recall is some short video from that Nintendo conference and a handful of screens.
 
Ydahs said:
Why is it when a hyped game gets an average Famitsu score everyone is like "lol Famitsu" and "moneybags!" but when a game get's a great score everyone celebrates? I mean, I don't mind Famitsu scores as any indication is a good indication, but it just seems there's double standards. Maybe I'm just generalizing...

I wasn't a fan of the first two (didn't really give the second one a chance) but I'll hopefully look into M&L3 once it's out. Though, where the hell is the coverage? The game's coming out soon in Japan but there's nothing about it. All I can recall is some short video from that Nintendo conference and a handful of screens.
Famitsu had a few pages devoted to it a couple issues ago.

I agree about the review reactions. They are hard to gauge, but it can be done. Basically, if the game being reviewed is high-profile enough, usually the score will be high. If it's not, well, then it's anyone's call. They tend to rate difficult or non-casual-friendly games low and the opposite high. I can usually get a lot more from reading the actual review than their score as they usually say specifically why it was high/low.