• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fandom Menace - Not Really Right Wing At All, At Worst Just Overly Pedantic Nerds

😂😂😂

I swear to God the defensive arguments people make for this movie are just hillarious

That's nice. A lot of us watch movies not for characters who make all the most logical decisions but to see humans who make human mistakes, most stories wouldn't exist without humans behaving like humans. I'm sure they're working on your Star Wars movie strictly about droids pretty soon, though.

Fnord

There's nothing wrong whatsoever with having a cast that represents the diverse societies we live in. Having said that, the girl who plays Rose in TLJ is a horrendous actor. Its unclear if her character dies in the film but I hope she will not be in the next Star Wars film.

Finn was actually one of the more promising characters introduced in TFA. Then Rian Johnson decided to send him on a pointless side quest in TLJ and Rose (who was a terrible character from the get go), robbed him of his moment of legitimate heroism at the end of the film. And as a bonus, sexually assaulted him (at least by the current definition).

Fnord

Episode 4 was the first film. It needed the viewer to have a basic understanding of the universe and setting before the actual story could start. It does that, no more, no less.

Episode 7 is different. It needs to explain why these events happen after the Empire was defeated in Episode 6. We know they're defeated because their leader is dead, their army is broken and fleeing, and everyone across the galaxy celebrates their victory. That's the last we've seen of this universe for many years. So episode 7 has some explaining to do, but it doesn't address why the First Order exists, how they're able to build a super Death Star, and why the Resistance is having trouble beating them. Heck, why is there even a resistance? Isn't that just the fleet/army of the new republic that they formed after the Empire fell? All of that could have been explained in the films later on, but that didn't happen. We're two films in now, and no one understand WHY the First Order even exists.

Or why "The Resistance" is called "The Resistance," given that they're ostensibly part of the ruling government.

Finn was actually one of the more promising characters introduced in TFA. Then Rian Johnson decided to send him on a pointless side quest in TLJ and Rose (who was a terrible character from the get go), robbed him of his moment of legitimate heroism at the end of the film. And as a bonus, sexually assaulted him (at least by the current definition).

She stopped him from engaging in pointless heroics, it's not even clear he'd have destroyed the Death Star cannon, his ship was melting down as he approached it and it would only delay the First Order which Luke did anyways.

Fnord

She stopped him from engaging in pointless heroics, it's not even clear he'd have destroyed the Death Star cannon, his ship was melting down as he approached it and it would only delay the First Order which Luke did anyways.

She prevented him from destroying the only threat to the remaining Resistance forces, As I recall, it was pretty clear his sacrifice would have been successful. And she had no idea that Luke was coming. It was worth the sacrifice. And it would have allowed Finn to go out a hero after spending the entire movie basically being comic relief.

She prevented him from destroying the only threat to the remaining Resistance forces, As I recall, it was pretty clear his sacrifice would have been successful. And she had no idea that Luke was coming. It was worth the sacrifice. And it would have allowed Finn to go out a hero after spending the entire movie basically being comic relief.

How was it clear? They show his ship melting into nothing prior to her stopping him. Why would a melting hunk of junk old ship successfully destroy a death star cannon? Holdo literally light speed rammed the entire fleet and they're still being hounded and nearly dying so I'm not sure you were following the text of the film well if you think such suicide maneuvers are successful. The importance of what Luke did wasn't just to help the Resistance escape but to give a myth for people to tell of the man who single-handedly stood down the First Order. Let's assume though Finn's ship is enough to destroy the Death Star cannon... are we really assuming that's it, the First Order packs up and goes home?

sol_bad

Or why "The Resistance" is called "The Resistance," given that they're ostensibly part of the ruling government.

They are separate from the ruling government, it's just that some factions of the ruling government help fund them in secret.
There was a cold war between the New Republic and the First Order. The New Republic didn't consider the First Order as a threat. The First Order quietly rebuilt themselves in hiding. Because the New Republic didn't consider them a threat and refused to take any action the Resistance was formed.

For those that haven't seen it, this series by Mauler is pretty spot on and worth the watch:

No, I watched part one and it's fucking horrible.

Last edited:
Did ..... did any of you watch episode 4 and 5?
The Death Star was destroyed at the end of 4, nek minute, Empire is at full power kicking their arse at the start of 5.
It wasn't stated that the empire was defeated in Episode 4.
With the death of the emperor it was clear to me and everybody else in the audience, that the empire is gone.

No explanation how they survived!!!
It was just a big battle station.
RE 6 to 7, yeah the Emperor is dead, but it's easy to imagine that certain fractions of the Empire came together and "rose from the ashes" to continue doing what they do.
Sorry, but if you compare these things you really are not into Star Wars, and have no idea.
You don't need a whole convoluted story, parts of the Empire survive and they slowly grow and take control again. You only complain about this for ...... reasons.
How could they build something the size of the Starkiller base without anyone noticing it?
Why did the new republic don't do shit about it?
How is the "resistance" not the new republics army?

There were so many questions about things which were never explained.

You are defending this just for the sake of being contrarian.

Also, if you need some additional material in books to understand things that should have been in the movie, it's a shitty movie.

Last edited:

sol_bad

It wasn't stated that the empire was defeated in Episode 4.
With the death of the emperor it was clear to me and everybody else in the audience, that the empire is gone.

It was just a big battle station.

Sorry, but if you compare these things you really are not into Star Wars, and have no idea.

How could they build something the size of the Starkiller base without anyone noticing it?
Why did the new republic don't do shit about it?
How is the "resistance" not the new republics army?

There were so many questions about things which were never explained.

You are defending this just for the sake of being contrarian.

Also, if you need some additional material in books to understand things that should have been in the movie, it's a shitty movie.

The death of an Emperor doesn't automatically mean the Rebellion wins. Any multiple number of things could happen. Looking at the expanded universe/Legends material should show you this.

Big battle station? Again, back in 1977 absolutely no one knew the size of the Galactic Empire. At the end of the film it looks like the Rebellion destroys the Empire. If the movie failed, it would have been true, the Empire would have been destroyed. Due to it's success the scope of the Empire was expanded on in the sequel.

And I'm not a Star Wars fan? So Timothy Zahn who wrote the Thrawn trilogy is also not a fan? A trilogy of books loved and revered by the fan base. A trilogy of books about the remnants of the Empire trying to rise up against the New Republic.

Maybe read this page.
All these people contributing to the expanded universe. Guess none of them are fans either. No, it's not cannon and never was but it seems to be a pretty popular phenomenon that the Galactic Empire would survive in various forms.

How did no one find the Starkiller base? How did no one know about Kamino and it's operations for about 10+ years?

Read my post above about why the New Republic didn't act. They, like you, thought the Galactic Empire was destroyed and were now too small to be a threat.

What other questions do you have?

I love peoples ideas of plot holes "how did they not notice they were building Starkiller base" probably because they built it WITHIN a planet. This is from the same franchise where the second Obi-Wan steps on the Death Star Vader senses it but no Jedi can sense what Palpatine is ever in the prequels. Looking for consistent logic is kinda silly especially when it's easy enough to give yourself an answer for why they didn't notice x.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Please for the love of God if you want to debate the movies make your own thread. Given the amount of discussion going on I honestly don’t get why u people don’t do this in your own space. Why dump it all here?

I swear TLJ defenders have to make everything about them.

If you want to post “did anyone actually watch episode 4?” like a genius then do it in your own genius thread

Last edited:
Please for the love of God if you want to debate the movies make your own thread. Given the amount of discussion going on I honestly don’t get why u people don’t do this in your own space. Why dump it all here?

I swear TLJ defenders have to make everything about them.

If you want to post “did anyone actually watch episode 4?” like a genius then do it in your own genius thread

Except your OP is full of arguments about the quality of the films so it's your own fault that's being discussed, isn't it? If you think you have legit grounds to claim debating the merits of the film(s) is some form of thread derailment get a mod involved instead of whining like a baby.

Fnord

How was it clear? They show his ship melting into nothing prior to her stopping him. Why would a melting hunk of junk old ship successfully destroy a death star cannon? Holdo literally light speed rammed the entire fleet and they're still being hounded and nearly dying so I'm not sure you were following the text of the film well if you think such suicide maneuvers are successful. The importance of what Luke did wasn't just to help the Resistance escape but to give a myth for people to tell of the man who single-handedly stood down the First Order. Let's assume though Finn's ship is enough to destroy the Death Star cannon... are we really assuming that's it, the First Order packs up and goes home?

I don't have access to it to double check at the moment, but wasn't the entire plan to ram the canon, thus implying (if not explicitly stating it) that would destroy it? And wasn't Finn's mount the last one standing? Not to mention that there was a decent chance that Rose slamming into his speeder... thing... at that velocity would have simply killed both of them without giving that chance to destroy the canon. And preventing him from carrying out his mission guaranteed with 100% certainty that the canon wouldn't be destroyed. It was dumb. As for the First Order packing up and going home, I'm also almost certain that it was stated that the doors could withstand the battering from the walkers, but not from the canon.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I don't have access to it to double check at the moment, but wasn't the entire plan to ram the canon, thus implying (if not explicitly stating it) that would destroy it? And wasn't Finn's mount the last one standing? Not to mention that there was a decent chance that Rose slamming into his speeder... thing... at that velocity would have simply killed both of them without giving that chance to destroy the canon. And preventing him from carrying out his mission guaranteed with 100% certainty that the canon wouldn't be destroyed. It was dumb. As for the First Order packing up and going home, I'm also almost certain that it was stated that the doors could withstand the battering from the walkers, but not from the canon.
Yeah I have no idea what they were supposed to do other than “look amazing” as everyone was dazzled by red salt leaving trails because these ships have a thing that drags on the ground for some reason. The ships are falling apart and they aren’t taking down the AT ATs Rian just wanted an action sequence. Poe is whooping it up leading this pointless charge. Nothing past that guy tasting the dirt makes any sense in universe.

The fact that they could have escaped the cave if they only removed a few rocks with some carefully placed explosives, I mean they are a space military with futuristic technology and they are blocked by some rocks lol. They have all these pointless ships gassed up and ready to go but no dynamite? Some army.

They all stand and look at an impossible death laser all pointlessly trying things out instead of fleeing (cos failure) and as soon as Finn does something to help, it’s like, “what is this moron doing?” (Sorry, “dummy”) The movie is so patronizing to him and has weird double standards that work against Finn’s character.

Last edited:

The whole point of the scene was to complete Poe's arc, Poe is the "this is so crazy it might work" character of this universe, which is a common trope in the franchise but he learns the cost of such plans and orders the retreat at the end. People like to ask why Rose stopped Finn but not why Poe ordered the retreat. If taking out this cannon was truly so important why not question Poe's actions? When Poe's crazy plan worked at the start it was emphasized he wasted pilots the Resistance can't waste to destroy a ship the First Order can just churn out more of. Same thing with this cannon. The numbers aren't on the side of the Resistance, they are on the side of the FO, this is why the only heroic sacrifice that's successful is Hold's lightspeed ram, she didn't do it to try and destroy the First Order, she did it to save the Resistance. Finn's gesture wouldn't have saved the Resistance and though you can argue Rose crashing into him could have killed them both there's no questioning his suicide run would have killed him. Also it's never implied they can actually take out the cannon, they were just doing the best they could with what they had.

sol_bad

In all honesty it's one of the worst scenes in the film.
The explosion from Finn's ship might have caused a chain reaction and stopped the cannon but I think that's a slim chance. There were still many other ships remaining for the Resistance but they were all retreating including Rose. Rose was actually flying away from Finn when she was telling him not to do it. Then she teleport's to Finn's side and rams him at high velocity.
I'll admit, the logistics of this scene do evade me. I can however understand the idea behind the scene, it was just poorly executed.

The movie is so patronizing to him and has weird double standards that work against Finn’s character.

If the double standard is Holdo sacrificing herself, that's not a double standard. Rose and Holdo can hold two different beliefs. It also doesn't work against Finn's character. I'll be watching The Last Jedi in 2 nights (I haven't seen it since it's cinema release) but from what I remember Finn went on the mission to Canto Bight ultimately to help Rey and while on the mission his point of view changed. Originally he just wanted to help Rey and he changed to wanting to help the Resistance.

Last edited:

Shantae

Banned
Was making dinner, and my dad was in the other room watching some special on the Star Wars series in the other room on Reelz, and I wanted to throw something at the tv. They were talking about the prequels, and something about characters in phantom menace being "problematic". I fucking hate that word so much now.

Was making dinner, and my dad was in the other room watching some special on the Star Wars series in the other room on Reelz, and I wanted to throw something at the tv. They were talking about the prequels, and something about characters in phantom menace being "problematic". I fucking hate that word so much now.
Someone posted a pic of that tv special and they interview some woman who is part of the "Legion of Leia" and my guess it was her.

#Phonepunk#

Banned

they are doing a livestream celebrating this disaster. just reading Tweets of lame shills freaking out about this mess and all the brutal early reviews.

so many TLJ stans are furious about Rian's themes getting subverted LOL. got to admit, this almost feels like revenge.

"JJ ruined the amazing setup Rian that left!"

aw, i'm sorry that your expectations were upset. how does it feel now?

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
MauLer and some folks did a livestream on one of Jenny Nicholson's TLJ videos. pretty entertaining listen as she is kind of a lunatic and a Reylo. she apparently has a "fan psychology seminar" LOL. also she calls Rey a "scrappy underdog" and says that Kylo's need for respect "makes him fun". hearing them react to this is good times.

there's a funny part where she cuts her finger and it's this little segment and they are like "See! I bleed! I'm not a shell of a person being controlled by a corporation!" she is a 100% Model Consumer shill robot .

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned

this is interesting. a Washington Post writer in an article on how ROS "satisfied the right wing" is claiming that the Reylo death threats are a hoax "manufactured by a Fandom Menace account".
washington-post-reylos-jjabrams-harassment-hoax-featured.jpeg

access media is defending Reylos so hard that they are conspiracy handwaving the death threats made towards the film's director. this is pretty insane.

Last edited:

this is interesting. a Washington Post writer in an article on how ROS "satisfied the right wing" is claiming that the Reylo death threats are a hoax "manufactured by a Fandom Menace account".
washington-post-reylos-jjabrams-harassment-hoax-featured.jpeg

access media is defending Reylos so hard that they are conspiracy handwaving the death threats made towards the film's director. this is pretty insane.

If true.... wow.

#Phonepunk#

Banned

it is pretty funny. the entire article is about the Fandom Menace. it's basically a hit piece on Youtubers with the money going to Jeff Bezos. it contains hilarious gems like this:
Right-wing anti-TLJ content was helped along by non-Star Wars media, as well. Dismay with TLJ was part of coverage of right-wing cultural grievances in outlets such as the Federalist and National Review and by alt-right influencers, including Ben Shapiro and Jack Posobeic. Websites specializing in right-wing popular culture expanded their Star Wars coverage to capture anti-TLJ audiences. These platforms also helped right-wing Star Wars outlets grow a new audience.

There is no comparable left-wing media ecosystem where anti-TROS feeling can thrive and be monetized to the same extent.
:messenger_loudly_crying: wait a minute, right wing outlets covered popular culture? please, let me cry for the tiny marketing arm of the MarvelDisneyMegaCorp currently dry humping the planet. also why is this writer complaining that they don't have a Fandom Menace sized group of their own for hating ROS? that is what this all comes down to honestly. professional jealousy. this writer wishes they had the reach of most of these Fandom Menace guys. who, ironically, do more coverage of the franchise than this crying lamestream loser.
“Last Jedi” backlash included extensive online trolling of TLJ’s defenders. By contrast, since TROS, the major trolling incidents have targeted fans who were disappointed by the film.
trolling? oh god no. people are trolling others on the internet? over a movie? thank god the news is covering this.
A Fandom Menace account manufactured a hoax claiming “Reylos” were sending death threats to the TROS director. (A Reylo is a fan of the controversial romance between TROS protagonists Rey and Ben Solo/Kylo Ren). BuzzFeed credulously reported the claim.
this last bit is pure and utter 100% fabricated media narrative bs. tantamount to slander. basically accusing them of fabricating death threats, using the Washington Post. amazing.

Last edited:

pel1300

The Fandom Menace on politics:

Jeremy (Geeks and Gamers) supported Bernie Sanders in the 2016 primaries. He says he has no political affiliation but just hates the establishment.

Gary (Nerdrotic) doesn't like to get political but he keeps bashing the mainstream media and he mocks SJWs a lot. He recently made a video bashing Jeff Bezos. He said he hated living in Hollywood because it's fake woke hell. He chose to move to San Francisco, the most far left city in America. Then he said ""Rightwingers, which I am not one, but they are welcome on my channel. I do not view rightwingers as the devil" then said his wife runs a hair salon in downtoiwn San Francisco and said "Do the math". He also seemed super familiar with a lot of anti-establishment political commentators like Tim Pool and Ben Shapiro. He said "Ben Shapiro alt right? No. Certainly right leaning but not alt-right"

Gary seems like a classic liberal who hates SJWism. Jeremy comes off like a centrist who hates SJWism and the establishment media.

The Fandom Menace remind me of the Intellectual Dark Web - a very very diverse group of people attacking the media andd their llies. And they are smeared as some monolith devil alt-right group

it is pretty funny. the entire article is about the Fandom Menace. it's basically a hit piece on Youtubers with the money going to Jeff Bezos. it contains hilarious gems like this:

:messenger_loudly_crying: wait a minute, right wing outlets covered popular culture? please, let me cry for the tiny marketing arm of the MarvelDisneyMegaCorp currently dry humping the planet. also why is this writer complaining that they don't have a Fandom Menace sized group of their own for hating ROS? that is what this all comes down to honestly. professional jealousy. this writer wishes they had the reach of most of these Fandom Menace guys. who, ironically, do more coverage of the franchise than this crying lamestream loser.

trolling? oh god no. people are trolling others on the internet? over a movie? thank god the news is covering this.

this last bit is pure and utter 100% fabricated media narrative bs. tantamount to slander. basically accusing them of fabricating death threats, using the Washington Post. amazing.

Gary was pissed off at that article. He did a livestream on it, and his video got demonitized when he kept saying "Fuck Jeff Bezos!" It's scary how much power Bezos has.

BTW the journalist who wrote that article is also a professor at University at Rochester. She specializes in gender issues. And on her website she proudly lists Star Wars fandom culture as one of her main jobs. And she does her research on SW fans solely on twitter.

And the title of that article: "Will the left start trolling?"....ummm if she considers herself leftwing then they already are with that article. But I prefer to call it the corporate elite trolling fans online. More up vs down than left vs right.

At the end of the day it doesn't even matter if rightwing people love or hate a popcorn movie. Vladmir Putin is a huge fan of many things I am a huge fan of. Big deal.

Trump and Puting are both MMA fans. So am I . Big deal. I don't give a shit. Megan McCain is a huge OT SW nut who named one of her kids Leia. Big deal, has no bearing on my opinion of the OT SW.

Simply pointing out "People with different political views from us like it" is not an argument. It's pointless. And it shows where their head is at.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
some reality of what John is dealing with right now:

in this case the toxicity seems to have come from an always online pro Bernie POC #Resistance Twitter account. not so much the alt right.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Rian Johnson admitting he didn't care about creating a universe and didn't consider anything past his allotted 2+ hours.
Johnson would respond, “No, not at all. Because I don’t really think in terms of universes or in terms of creating worlds or whatever. That’s not that interesting to me.”

One man pretty much single-handedly fucked up the new trilogy, not that it was great to begin with. You can also lay blame on Kathleen Kennedy for her mishandling of it.

Only good thing from the new movies, imo of course, is Palpatine and him being a badass.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Fandom is the worst thing to happen to creative mediums. It used to be okay, but in the last 20 years or so (really since the rose of the internet), fans have felt entitled to be have an opinion in creative spaces.

I'm not saying that works should be immune to criticism. But by the same token, writers and artist should in no way feel compelled to listen to fans input on what they personally want from new releases.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Fandom is the worst thing to happen to creative mediums
nah, it isnt. fan demand is the only reason Star Trek is not a forgotten tv show from the 60s.

i would say corporate funding is the worst thing. you are otm about the 20 years bit tho. this whole anti-fan backlash really only took off once the internet came out and the conversation was democratized. it is corporate media reflexively trying to maintain total domination over the narratives. the commentariate class that used to only have a few platforms like Entertainment Tonight and Talk Soup are now threatened by youtubers who can do their jobs but better. establishment media are fighting a losing battle and thus lashing out.

corporate heads, producers, executives, etc. have up until the internet had a monopoly on telling creatives how to create. now, with the internet, that monopoly is threatened, and they lash out. internet flame wars makes hating toxic fans into virtue signalling. the way to prove you are "not toxic" is to performatively call out bad fans. all this does (aside from giving yourself a nice ego boost for being "one of the good ones") is support the corporate narrative, that fans should be entirely ignored, that the corporation direction from the top should be unquestioned.

i mean, here we have Rian Johnson, director of the middle film of the trilogy, saying he doesn't care about the larger worldbuilding. he also said there is zero valid criticism towards his film. are people supposed to take that kind of top-down direction with no voiceback? that seems like an extremely silly expectation.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
here is audio of the interview where Rian says he's doesn't care about creating worlds and he couldn't care less about that kind of worldbuilding.

audio clip starts at 1:10.

so Rian has admitted he wanted to make a movie that pisses half the people who see it off.

he has admitted he doesn't consider any criticism of his movie valid.

he has admitted he does not care about actually putting in the creative effort to build a universe.

come on, how is he fooling this many people? lol

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
the SJW writer for She-Hulk TV show, notorious for criticizing toxic fandom, is getting blasted because she compared Rise of Skywalker to Coronavirus. looks like she's just a big man baby who can't handle it when reality fails to meet her unrealistic fan expectations.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

the SJW writer for She-Hulk TV show, notorious for criticizing toxic fandom, is getting blasted because she compared Rise of Skywalker to Coronavirus. looks like she's just a big man baby who can't handle it when reality fails to meet her unrealistic fan expectations.

It's stuff like this that makes me wonder about whether the heads of entertainment conglomerates realize what kind of shit the people that work under them get to on social media.

She's writing for a Marvel TV show on Disney Plus while comparing the company's recent movie to the disease that's causing a global pandermic. People have been fired for less than this shitshow. What is Disney CEO Bob Chapek waiting for?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
as if there were any lingering questions about ALL TOXICITY COMES FROM FANS ALONE

JJ's longtime editor, Mary Jo Markey, welcome to the Fandom Menace. all it took was you daring to have an opinion (GASP!)
she's not peeved, you jackass. she LIKES THE MOVIE. she just dared to say that it had a negative impact on the trilogy. also it's not that she's "still" pretty peeved. she is an Oscar winning editor who was asked a question in an interview. she didn't just throw out a hot take on Twitter or something after being "peeved" for a while.

funny how she didn't have to do anything other than dare have an opinion on the Holiest of Holies. listen to the salt from this pathetic manbaby journalist trying to spin this as something else bc she insulted his favorite space movie.
Anyway, please consider this your regular reminder that, for as much as our society seems to be hell-bent on deforming itself into some new and strange shape, people being pissed off about The Last Jedi is still a constant you can keep close to your heart.
not everyone thinks your space movie is a masterpiece. GET THE FUCK OVER IT

Last edited:

GreyHorace

as if there were any lingering questions about ALL TOXICITY COMES FROM FANS ALONE

JJ's longtime editor, Mary Jo Markey, welcome to the Fandom Menace. all it took was you daring to have an opinion (GASP!)
she's not peeved, you jackass. she LIKES THE MOVIE. she just dared to say that it had a negative impact on the trilogy. also it's not that she's "still" pretty peeved. she is an Oscar winning editor who was asked a question in an interview. she didn't just throw out a hot take on Twitter or something after being "peeved" for a while.

funny how she didn't have to do anything other than dare have an opinion on the Holiest of Holies. listen to the salt from this pathetic manbaby journalist trying to spin this as something else bc she insulted his favorite space movie.

not everyone thinks your space movie is a masterpiece. GET THE FUCK OVER IT
I don't get these entertainment 'journalists' and their pathetic need to defend The Last Jedi. I mean, it's not even that good of a movie. If it had some hidden genius behind it then maybe I can understand their passionate defense. But it has none, it's just a so-so Star Wars movie and a horrible followup to The Force Awakens.

Is the whole point of this exercise just to piss off the fandom to generate hateclicks?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Is the whole point of this exercise just to piss off the fandom to generate hateclicks?
yes

the funny thing is them writing "Why are people still talking about this movie?"

and im like, because your boss told you that you have to crank out an eyeball grabbing piece on Star Wars by EOD, and it is your job as a professional adult (lol) to whine about people not liking a space movie

that's why

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
peak irony here. Fandom Menace reporting that Lucasfilm just hired Harvey Weinstein's personal assistant.

you may have seen a lot of positive stories about how Star Wars over the past day or so about how they are writing a new female led series with "the creator of Russian Doll". just doing their part to help out women of course. all wonderful, positive, progressive news, until you look at who this person actually is. that's right, Leslye Headland was Harvey's personal assistant for years.
Leslye Headland loves Harvey Weinstein—despite having worked as his personal assistant. And he most likely loves her back—even after she penned the play Assistance,about ill-treated young personal assistants at a fictional corporation called the Weisinger Company headed by a demanding, impatient, perfectionist named Daniel Weisinger. At the very least, the Oscar-courting head of The Weinstein Company isn’t holding a grudge against Headland. The indie studio recently purchased her much-loved comedy Bachelorette (which she wrote and directed, based on her own play) at this year’s Sundance Film Festival.

The 31-year-old NYU graduate insists that Assistance, which opens tonight Off Broadway at Playwright’s Horizons, is not a tell-all about her former boss, as much as it’s an exploration into the minds of executive assistants — in this case jaded veteran Nick (Michael Esper), kind newbie Nora (Virginia Kull), scatterbrain Heather (Sue Jean Kim), masochist Justin (Bobby Steggert), and cool-as-ice Jenny (Amy Rosoff). The play asks why they do what they do, and why they often do it for so long (Headland herself worked at Miramax and the Weinstein Company for six years).

but WAHMAN POWER amiright, guys?

Last edited:

GreyHorace

peak irony here. Fandom Menace reporting that Lucasfilm just hired Harvey Weinstein's personal assistant.

you may have seen a lot of positive stories about how Star Wars over the past day or so about how they are writing a new female led series with "the creator of Russian Doll". just doing their part to help out women of course. all wonderful, positive, progressive news, until you look at who this person actually is. that's right, Leslye Headland was Harvey's personal assistant for years.

but WAHMAN POWER amiright, guys?

Nice. Disney is now knee deep in debt and they just keep digging that hole with Star Wars.

At least they greenlit season 3 of The Mandalorian, which looks to be the only production from Lucasfilm any fan is looking forward to.

Last edited:

Ememee

I’m just over this shit.

Loved the OT since I stumbled into it as a kid in the 90s, gutted through the prequels even whilst thinking they were shit, got duped and reinvigorated by TFA and left TLJ feeling absolutely apathetic.

I try to stay ignorant of most online fandoms, happenings, whatever and all I’d heard of the “Fandom Menace” was that they were alt-right trolls, sexist, racist, yadda, yadda..

It wasn’t until the months leading to TROS, reading all the rumors, leaks (I did the same for TFA and TLJ and loved the former and felt ambivalent of the latter) that I fell into a bunch of the FandomMenace and realized not only were the accusations thrown at them by Social Justice-y types hyperbolic (surprise, surprise) but a lot of them were right. They called that shit. Ahead of the curve, if you will.

I still haven’t seen TROS. I’m just over it. I enjoyed Mandalorian but with all the rumors of upcoming projects, the utter mishandling of the ST, comics etc, I’m just done.

FWIW yes, you can concede parts of the fandom are “toxic”, I’d argue however you can say that about most fandoms. They require passion. Irrationality is to be expected. But what goes unsaid , these last few years, is that often times these developers of content that lobby such accusational claims to detractors of their product, can be just as toxic. If not more.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
interesting interview with Muslim producer/screenwriter Kamran Pasha. this is the guy who gave university lectures on the bad storytelling of The Last Jedi. neat stuff here.

Last edited:
I miss when Ethan used to do short videos covering Star Wars news. They used to be pretty fun.

Now it's 4+ hour videos and I just can't sit through those.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
eh? this video is 1 hour and is the uncut version of a video Jeremy posted that was only a 4 minute edit of the TLJ stuff. maybe you are confusing him with MauLer, who is very long winded indeed. i think there are some videos he posts that are 11 hours long.

i thought the interview was fascinating. he mostly talks about his experience as a Muslim in Hollywood. funny thing was how he mentioned that he was hired by the liberal elite to "get back at Bush" and worked on all these tv shows (one about a Muslim hero fighting Muslim terrorists). then as soon as Obama gets elected, ironically, nobody wants to hire him anymore. he overhears on a phone call that "We should swap the Chinese bad guy with an Arab" and sees how despite all his hard work he is still just a token to these people. also interesting was him noting the revolving door of diversity hires, how nobody is allowed to move up the chain.

he is providing first hand insight into the political agendas of Hollywood that are very real and he gives many real world examples. it's good stuff.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned

A pretty interesting take where he looks back on media coverage of “toxic fans” during the reveal of KK and the ST. Funny how he points that a single random comments was used to write numerous articles, even ending up on CBS.

Top Bottom