• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fate of the Furious / Fast and Furious 8 *SPOILER THREAD*

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamchan

Hi this is the:

SPOILER THREAD

For The Fate of the Furious, F8 of the Furious, Fast and Furious 8, The Fast and The Furious 8, 8 Fast 8 Furious, Furious 8.

It's out. People have seen it.

There will be SPOILERS. People will talk about SPOILERS. Turn now or forever hold your peace. Here is a buffer image before the SPOILERS:

n8upl.png

Enjoy

So I liked the movie. Maybe not as much as past movies but I still liked it. Maybe I'm just not feeling the complete turn into spy caper while the heist aspects of the previous movies still had some moments of light heartedness.

What I didn't like was the handling of Deckard Shaw. Sure, the guy is badass and actually quite lovable as he showed in this movie. But this dude still killed Han. How am I supposed to accept that Dom suddenly forgives Deckard after he murdered one of his family and his brother indirectly causing the death of Gisele too. I would have accepted a mutual respect separation after Deckard saved the life of Dom's baby, but not a complete forgiveness, "hey you have a seat at the family table now", ending. That's crazy.

He killed HAN!

Anyways my ranks:

5>6>3>7>1>8>4>2

Saw the advanced screening yesterday. Been waiting for this thread!

I'm not really sure where I would rate this TBH. Like it's still on par with the 4 and beyond, but maybe at the bottom compared? It's still a great Fast movie. But man, didn't appreciate them killing off Elena. On the other hand, seeing both Shaws go at it was pretty awesome at the end. Also, just rewatched Furious 6 tonight. Thinking about how if Owen Shaw survived, Gisele could have too! That said, now we have Cipher to contend with in Fast 9. More Charlize Theron go!

Renpatsu

I was on board from the opening race in Cuba - racing through the streets of Havana in a piece of rusted scrap while your engine is in flames might seem low stakes in a series that parachuted cars out of a plane, but it was still just as insane to see in execution.

Overall I found the action, stunts and spectacle in 8 to be far superior to 7 (save for the aforementioned parachute sequence).

Edit: Also watching cars utilise the power of teamwork has never been so satisfying.

hirokazu

I think I liked it overall but it probably wasn't as good as the last few. At one point I was leaning on "this is pretty dumb in a bad way rather than a fun way" but I think the film pulled itself together at the end.

So I guess Deckard is joining the family now that it's revealed he was forced to face off with Toretto's gang by Cipher.

Now they just need to bring back Han. They could have Mother Shaw save Han and whisk him away when he was supposed to die. Makes as much sense as anything else at this point.

But if Brian left to protect Mia and Son, should Dom throw in the towel now that he has a son too?
I wanted his son to be named Paul.

Is Helen Miren in this? Just realised she's not in any of the trailers.
Yep. I think she's supposed to be a surprise appearance, her name doesn't appear in the opening credits. But we all know she was cast.

What I didn't like was the handling of Deckard Shaw. Sure, the guy is badass and actually quite lovable as he showed in this movie. But this dude still killed Han. How am I supposed to accept that Dom suddenly forgives Deckard after he murdered one of his family and his brother indirectly causing the death of Gisele too. I would have accepted a mutual respect separation after Deckard saved the life of Dom's baby, but not a complete forgiveness, "hey you have a seat at the family table now", ending. That's crazy.

He killed HAN!
But Dom didn't give much shit pulling off stuff that could've killed his family in order to protect his son. I don't think we ever learnt what Cipher blackmailed the Shaws with to make them work for her.

We hongry

So I've only seen the first 3 movies, and the end chase of the bank safe through the streets of Brazil so I didn't know what to expect

Shit was over the top but in a good way lol, I loved it
Lots of action, lots of jokes, even a dawww baby that got a huge pop at the end when Dom names him Brian
#Family

Lol that part with Roman being #11 on the most wanted list

Dartastic

It was okay. Honestly, best part of the film IMO was the part was Deckard's scene at the end. That shit was hilarious. I liked F7 more. I felt like Dom's motivations made sense also, seeing as he's the way he is. I haven't seen all the movies so I can't really rank them.

Gonna go see Free Fire tonight. It'll be interesting to see those two flicks the day after one another.

Ein Bear

Just got home from the cinema, definitely didn't disappoint. The setpiece with all the cars going haywire in New York and flowing around like crashing water was amazing, and the Rock shrugging off rubber bullets is definitely up there as one of the best moments in the entire series.

I had a big grin on my face for the entire thing. I love these movies so damn much.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Really solid, definitely better than 7. 7 has a vagueness problem in places and the third act feels really tacked on, but 8 has tangible and high stakes throughout and it all flows well. Action sequences are top tier, everyone is great, Helen Mirren and Statham in particular shine. Really continuity heavy, so definitely not for newbies to the franchise, but there's tons of fun callbacks and cameos for fans. They really went full superhero for this one, especially with The Rock, and if they do indeed end up in outer space in the next film I feel like it will be a pretty natural progression.

New series ranking:

5>6>8>7>1>4>2>3

number11

Couldn't resist and read the OP. Can't believe they disrespected Han like that. That was my worry when watching the trailer.

studyguy

"We've built a car with enough horse power to clone Han, here he is"

Just do something dumb and never look back. Come on. bring Han back, don't do him dirty like this.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I get the comments about Han, and agreed with them initially after seeing it, but I think I've come around on it after thinking about it. The race in Havana at the beginning sets up the idea that even someone who uses lethal force against Dom can be redeemed by behaving honorably. Deckard also is revealed to have a decorated military background and is implied to have done the things he did both for family reasons and because of circumstances similar to what made the Toretto gang criminals so often. Compound that with rescuing Dom's son and I can see Dom considering Deckard's sins against the family forgiven. Plus let's not forget what Dom himself just did to his family over the course of the film.

Frankly I think it's more surprising that Deckard would want to stay for dinner than Dom allowing him to stay.

I get the comments about Han, and agreed with them initially after seeing it, but I think I've come around on it after thinking about it. The race in Havana at the beginning sets up the idea that even someone who uses lethal force against Dom can be redeemed by behaving honorably. Deckard also is revealed to have a decorated military background and is implied to have done the things he did both for family reasons and because of circumstances similar to what made the Toretto gang criminals so often. Compound that with rescuing Dom's son and I can see Dom considering Deckard's sins against the family forgiven. Plus let's not forget what Dom himself just did to his family over the course of the film.

Frankly I think it's more surprising that Deckard would want to stay for dinner than Dom allowing him to stay.

Also, Hobbs accepts him which helps.

Ein Bear

I also just want to know what makes Dom turn heel and why he's making out with Theron in the trailers.

It's revealed that Elena has had Dom's baby, which Dom himself was unaware of. Theron's character kidnaps them both and blackmails Dom into working for her.

The kiss is a one-time thing that she does in front of Letty just to be a dick, basically. Dom isn't in to her at all, she just knows she can get away with it.

Linkinito

Just saw the movie (released today in France).

Inferior to 7 in my opinion, because the scenes aren't that iconic compared to the previous episodes. Even though the Cuba race is very entertaining, the whole NY part lacks of consistency. The zombie car horde is clearly CGI and the fact that Cipher uses so much cars just to stop one convoy isn't an efficient way. It's just here to show "look how much cars we can destroy in one scene". I preferred the Fast Five and Furious 7 scenes (F6 was too much over-the-top).

Oh and Dom's car having 5,000 hp - Nah. He couldn't have got away from this.

And the submarine scene was not as epic as the F5 safe chase or the F7 drone. Again, couldn't buy F6 highway and 42-mile long airport. Especially when the trailer completely spoiled the fact that Dom would destroy it by giving it back its missile.

At least in F6, when they crash the plane down, it could have fit anywhere in the movie. In F7, there was like only one or two shots of the hunter drone. In F8, "Dom has gone rogue but he will destroy the submarine that's chasing the team".

There's also some big plot problems.
- The cubans helping Dom in NY just because he won a race? Nah.
- The crew accepting "easily" to work with Deckard while he killed Han and getting full pardon for saving Dom's son? Nah.
- The mom? Seriously? Looks like a deus ex machina to save the baby.

Charlize Theron makes a great villain though, and looks truly merciless, mostly in the scene where her henchman kills Helena. That was brutal. And even though the family looks safe and whole at the end, she can track them down easily in Fast 9.

So yeah, 6/10 for me.

TheCrackInTime

Neo Member

He killed HAN!

So much this.

Don't get me wrong, I thought he was awesome in this movie, but Shaw being welcomed into the Family and getting a seat at the table, just didn't sit right with me.

That's Han's seat, motherfucker!

Also, wasn't Lucas Black supposed to be in this one? I'm sure they announced he would be.

Jhoan

Saw the world premiere last weekend. Here's my cross-post from the NYC GAF thread:
Jhoan said:
I will say that as someone who didn't see any of the previous Fast and Furious films since maybe the second one, it's ridiculously over the top. If Saints Row The Third was a movie, it would be F8. It wasn't bad but I was detached from not having seen the prior films and the humor wasn't for me for the most part. There were a few times where I rolled my eyes and was annoyed that a few people in front of me were either recording while the security guard bat a blind eye to it or people behind me were talking/whooping which soured my experience a bit because I missed a few lines.

I think it's a movie that's worth watching twice to pick up on stuff. If you liked the previous films as well as films such as Shoot Em Up or liked games such as Saints Row The Third, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, and Just Cause, this is basically a live action version of all those games blended together. I'll probably post more thoughts in the film OT.

The movie is gonna sell tickets like gangbusters and sweep the Easter weekend box office. I'm probably going to do a full write up article on my Medium account but will be treading lightly with spoilers. If I had to give it a rating, it would be a 3.5/5. It's definitely much, much better than Triple 9 I will say that because once it gets going, it doesn't stop until the end. Vinn Diesel was there and he was basking in the glory of his hometown.

I'll post more spoilery thoughts later since typing from phone.

Helen Mirren was a great cameo.
I love that she clearly got into it. She didn't just show up for an afternoon shoot, she made some character choices. I really hope they get her involved with 9 in a bigger role.

I'd honestly watch an entire spinoff series just about the Shaw clan committing family crime.

hirokazu

There's also some big plot problems.
- The cubans helping Dom in NY just because he won a race? Nah.
- The crew accepting "easily" to work with Deckard while he killed Han and getting full pardon for saving Dom's son? Nah.
- The mom? Seriously? Looks like a deus ex machina to save the baby.
- You obviously don't know how important respect is.
- Did you miss the bit where Kurt says they need him to help find Dom? Did you miss the bit where Deckard was revealed to be working for Cipher by blackmail in the previous films?
- Mother Shaw? Helen Mirren is the boss, you're gonna have to take that back!

Much better than 7 (I hated 7) but dear me some of the stupid is turned up to 11.

I also don't like that every single sentence must be a cheesy catchphrase. The rock was awesome, no idea how he kept a straight face doing his lines, Statham on the plane was great as well. Didn't like Charlize at all, loved her in madmax but every time she started a speech I would just roll my eyes.

That cars stopping fire by parking infront of it scene though...... Jesus that was laughably bad.

How CGI is the car horde set piece? Given how many stunts they try to do practically, I'm hoping that having a CGI-heavy scene like that doesn't stand out

Chumley

Banned
Much better than 7 (I hated 7) but dear me some of the stupid is turned up to 11.

I also don't like that every single sentence must be a cheesy catchphrase. The rock was awesome, no idea how he kept a straight face doing his lines, Statham on the plane was great as well. Didn't like Charlize at all, loved her in madmax but every time she started a speech I would just roll my eyes.

That cars stopping fire by parking infront of it scene though...... Jesus that was laughably bad.

Thank god this is better than 7, that might have been my least favorite F&F film ever. Almost nothing to like about it.

5 is the GOAT and if this is anywhere close to it I'll see it. I was really iffy on 6.

Thank god this is better than 7, that might have been my least favorite F&F film ever. Almost nothing to like about it.

5 is the GOAT and if this is anywhere close to it I'll see it. I was really iffy on 6.

It did feel closer to 5 this time around, just be ready to for an influx of cheesiness and logic defining physics.

Think of the Rock as Captain America.

hirokazu

How CGI is the car horde set piece? Given how many stunts they try to do practically, I'm hoping that having a CGI-heavy scene like that doesn't stand out
I can't say for sure but I think just the shots of a ton of cars moving in unison are CG. They did film stuff like dropping cars from the parking lot practically.

C'mon, man, you didn't even like Paul walker and the send-off they gave him?

hamchan

Hmmmm I'd disagree on it feeling closer to 5.

It's very much more of the spy movie stuff that 7 had with Kurt Russell continued.

No amazing ending/Paul Walker tribute this time, which really elevated 7 in my eyes.

Renpatsu

7 was really inconsistent with tone and pacing. Its highlights are parachuting cars out of a plane and the ending (which is the best ending in the entire franchise) which elevated the entire film. Given the hurdles within the production they did the best they could, but even then they rely far too heavily on CGI to carry the set pieces with the drone chase being a low point.

8 is far more adept at introducing a level of intensity and ramping it up gradually throughout the movie. Charlize Theron brings a gravitas to the role that is somewhat surprisingly well written - watching her drop choice theory or breaking down the myth of family to Dom is a strange but welcome contrast. It's clear they have plans for her character given her escape. Even if you aren't hot on the spy movie stuff 8 does a much better job of integrating that aspect into the fabric of the film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom