• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fate of the Furious / Fast and Furious 8 *SPOILER THREAD*

Status
Not open for further replies.
These movies are so much damn fun. I had a stupid grin on my face the whole time.

I do think it took a little while to get going. The opening chase with the flaming car was absolutely awesome, but The Rock coaching the girls soccer team and his argument with the government suit on the importance of family over work was long-winded and self-indulgent (even for a Fast and Furious movie), and the transition to the opening chase with the full crew and the EMP felt awkwardly paced.

That said, there were very few parts I didn't like. Even my wife loved it and she usually doesn't like action movies. I haven't seen 1, 2, or 4, but if I had to rank the rest of them it would be:

5>8>7>6>>>3

DemWalls

I just saw it again tonight and somehow missed this little bit when I first saw it.

Hobbs is breaking out of prison, an inmate comes up to him and says he's been waiting for this moment for awhile or something to that effect. Hobbs twists the dudes shank immediately and stabs him in the chest and says "Keep waitin', bitch" and then throws the guy to the side. Literally a few seconds long scene.

Holy fuck it was amazing. I love this movie.

Yeah, the prison break may be my favourite scene in the movie. Truly entertaining, Statham is great as always, and I love how Hobbs is basically a comic book character by now.

THE-JUV

overall I enjoyed the movie like the past ones since they're just flat out fun if you leave your brain at home, but it seems Statham is part of the family now, did everyone just forgive and forget that he murdered Han? Just read the OP and seems he/she noticed the same thing lol

taybul

Not sure if it's been discussed but I think the "there's only one parachute" liner should only be used if the plane is actually crashing. There seemed to be no reason to make that particular statement.

Tiberius

Just saw it, good film, great chemistry between hobbs and Shaw

The only problem i have, is that a the end of the movie shaw is almost a part of the familly, they totally forgot and forgave he killed han
And the part where letty see the baby there's no emotion from her

norm9

Not sure if it's been discussed but I think the "there's only one parachute" liner should only be used if the plane is actually crashing. There seemed to be no reason to make that particular statement.

I thought it was because they were both gonna get sucked out of the plane. But he was smart enough to not get sucked out and so her statement was null and void.

Yeah, the non-acknowledgement of Han's death and Deckard's part in it definitely puts a damper on the movie. It's crazy, in a film where I'm totally fine with hacker battles, Hobbs throwing a torpedo at jeeps and self-driving World War Z car hordes, that's the one plot point that doesn't sit logically. Even just a small begrudging look or line at the end between them just to show things aren't 100% peachy would've at least been something. The handshake was too much.

Unless... what if, what if they make good on the idea of twin Han, but he's an evil twin of Han, and wants revenge on the Shaw's for the killing of his brother and on the rest of the crew for forgiving them so easily, effectively betraying the memory of Han and Gisele. Think about it. Team Dom & la familia vs Team Cipher & Evil Han. Let's crank this stupid to the next level boys.

Well, she wanted to have a kid with Dom. Then it turns out, Dom already has a secret baby and now she has to raise it with him, probably not getting her own child. Anyone would feel pretty conflicted in this situation.

Well, she wanted to have a kid with Dom. Then it turns out, Dom already has a secret baby and now she has to raise it with him, probably not getting her own child. Anyone would feel pretty conflicted in this situation.

I'm confident that they'll have another child together, giving baby Brian a sibling to grow up with. Let's hope for a baby Vince.

Why would you name your child after your still living friend? That's weird, Dom.

What? This is a normal thing that people do. I swear, some people wanted Dom to call his baby "PAUL WALKER (RIP) TORETTO" just in case the audience didn't understand the "subtly" of the name Brian.

MrRoddy

Neo Member
Here's one of the gripes I had for the movie: thier motivation to steal an EMP.

In Fast 5, Brian and Dom called thier friends from previous movies for a big heist.
Motivation: monies.

In Fast 6, Thier called out of hiding to take on a mercenary go up with the promise of clearing thier criminal records.
Motivaion: Freedom.

In Furious 7, Han is killed, everyone's sad and pissed, and want some payback. Simple enough.
Motivation: Revenge.

Short of why Dom did it, the rest of the crew didn't have a reason to steal the EMP.

JSevere

Alright, Dom's son being held hostage was a good reason for him having to betray the family, I'll give the writer props. Cipher was a solid villain, if they bring her back for Fast 9 I hope she gets some fight scenes since Theron can obv kick ass

Statham was great, love him being part of the team but they're gonna have to address the elephant in the room eventually with him having killed Han. Scott Eastwood's character was also pretty likable. The third act in Russia was action movie greatness throughout. These movies are so much fun

Curufinwe

This is really a complaint about Fast 7, but it still bugs me that they went with Ramsey as her name. It can't help but make me think of another Game of Thrones character, and they could have picked any name that works for a man or a woman.

Hopefully her last name isn't Bolton.

cdyhybrid

Alright, Dom's son being held hostage was a good reason for him having to betray the family, I'll give the writer props. Cipher was a solid villain, if they bring her back for Fast 9 I hope she gets some fight scenes since Theron can obv kick ass

Statham was great, love him being part of the team but they're gonna have to address the elephant in the room eventually with him having killed Han. Scott Eastwood's character was also pretty likable. The third act in Russia was action movie greatness throughout. These movies are so much fun
Fast 9/Atomic Blonde crossover. Choreographed by the John Wick team.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Just saw it, good film, great chemistry between hobbs and Shaw

The only problem i have, is that a the end of the movie shaw is almost a part of the familly, they totally forgot and forgave he killed han

What emotion do you want from letty though? Dom probably told her everything after the dust has settled

Here's one of the gripes I had for the movie: thier motivation to steal an EMP.

Short of why Dom did it, the rest of the crew didn't have a reason to steal the EMP.

They freelance for black ops teams that Hobbs runs. It doesn't feel particularly unreasonable, considering the agents at the soccer game specifically tell him to find his own assets for the job.

Hobbs in Fast Five was fucking boring though

Extremely rigid in his thought process, wouldn't listen to reason

Now he's doin dem Hakas

Hobbs in Fast Five was fucking boring though

Extremely rigid in his thought process, wouldn't listen to reason

Now he's doin dem Hakas

He was a total hardass in Fast 5 but that's part of what makes that movie far and away the best one in the series. He was a beast. I mean he's still a beast now, but he's just The Rock. His motivational speech to his daughter's team, and the stuff directed at Deckard in the prison felt like deleted scenes from a Monday Night Raw sketch.

JdFoX187

Banned
While I enjoyed the flick, I think I did so in spite of Vin Diesel and his schtick. The rest of the cast was aces -- Tyrese, Ludacris, Russell and especially Statham and the Rock. Hell, I even though Eastwood was pretty damn funny at times and had some good charisma with the rest of the crew. But goddamn, everything involving Toretto and Letty just made me want to get up and walk out. I just can't get over the shit that goes on in this film to make Toretto look like some superhuman badass.

The fact he fucking double chokeslams Tormund and then kills him with one punch, then jumps in his car and hits the one truck that manages to set off every fucking missile and kill all of the pursuers and then everyone pulls their cars around him -- potentially killing themselves in the process -- to save him in a fireball of glory -- I almost left. The fact that everyone shits themselves because Toretto has gone rogue and somehow this street racer is a super badass motherfucker that can take out highly trained operatives without breaking a sweat was just ridiculous. But I think the most annoyingly awful moment was the opening race that served no other purpose than to make him look fucking cool and set up a one-bit callback later on. And on top of all of his fucking skills of badassery, Toretto also has a silver fucking tongue and can convince mortal enemies to team up with him because "family."

And that final scene...Jesus, that was bad. Turns his back on his family, ends up nearly getting them killed numerous times and then tells them, "I've always said, never turn your back on family." No one says shit about it. They all forgive him immediately without question. That's ignoring how the franchise handled Elena. Absolute bullshit what they did to her -- bringing her back, only to kill her for a cheap emotional pop for audiences to garner sympathy for fucking Toretto.

I've loved the series up to this point -- and I loved this movie for the most part -- but I'm close to being done if the next two movies are going to be more and more of Vin Diesel looking awesome with slow motion explosions following a muscle car that takes more damage than Reyes' Ghost Rider Charger. It's like these films are therapy for the man -- partly to make himself look more badass to compensate for his loss of his friend, Paul Walker, and partly to stave off the fact he's getting older and has nothing else of worth in his professional career.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Fast 9 clip released:
02KvdMO.gif

Turbo%20Megazord.gif

Saw it last night in Dolby Cinema (Vision + Atmos) and it was good! It totally made up for 7 a few years ago.

It does feel weird without Paul Walker and the movie was sort of dark for the franchise. That being said, I did like Cipher as a villain - I started to not like her and feel for Dom which was a good thing!

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Hobbs was the best in 5 for sure. Both Vin and Rock became cartoonish beasts in 6, but 5 had a pretty good balance.

6 is when they decided to go WWE.

Rewatching 4 now, how come when I don't fill up my girl's car of gas, she doesn't start stripping down and dancing like they do in this film?!

J_Viper

With Paul's absence and the BTS drama, I didn't know what to expect going into this, but hot damn this was fucking good.

+ The main cast is as likable as always
+ Lots of bad mouthing at Vin's performance here, but I don't know, I thought he was the same as usual. We even got some new classic Dom screams
+ Top notch set-pieces, all of which had me glued to the screen
+ZOMBIE CARS
+ Rock + Statham = GOLD
+ All of Charlize's dialogue is so terrible, but my god she's so pretty it didn't even matter, and she seemed to be having fun with it
+ Tyrese has gone full Chris Tucker and I'm okay with that
+ The Owen reveal had me hyped, wish he did more though

- Rock's intro scene at the kid's soccer match was the worst fucking thing I've ever seen. Did he write that himself?
- I wish Dom wore that Army of Two suit for the whole film, it was fucking hysterical
- RIP Elena. Props to them for willing to be so fucked up about it though. That shit was DARK
- Was hoping we'd get to see more direct team-up scenes with Rock and Statham. I'm definitely down for that spin off.
- Dom's kid should have been Paul. C'mon Vin.
- I know his dad's a legend, but stop trying to make Scott Eastwood happen, Hollywood. Nepotism can't buy your boy charisma.

I'm not even sure where to slot this in with the rest of the series, but it is definitely up to par with the last three, all of which I adore.

For now:

5>7>8>6>1>4>3>2

Astral

I liked this movie a lot more than I thought I would. I'd rank it with or right below 5, followed by 6, and then 7 which were just ok imo. I really enjoyed the story in 8. It felt a lot more personal and I sympathized a lot. My only gripes were:

- Hacker battle was dumb
- Hacker villain is dumb. I liked the character and she was intimidating but making her a hacker is just an excuse to do a bunch of stupid shit like my next point
- Zombie cars was fucking absurd. I just had a hard time believing that could actually happen. I know everything in these movies is absurd but this just came off as really silly to me. Hacking is basically just magic
- Elena getting killed off felt kind of like a cop out. I thought it would've been interesting to see how her being back in Dom's life with his kid no less would've impacted his and Letty's relationship. On the other hand, her death made the villain more hateable.
- Shaw got off way too easy. I mean I know he did Dom a huge fucking solid but the dude still killed Han.
- A nitpick but the guy driving the van turning out to be the Cuban guy from the beginning was pretty random lol.

Timeless

From the locked thread.

Only redeeming thing is Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham. They have a good chemistry which is why i am glad they will have their own spin off.

What chemistry? I remember a scene where they both like have a toolbox under a car in the FBI car warehouse? And early on there's the jail scene where they're still enemies.

What does Universal and audiences see in this pairing? Also why are audiences willing to forgive his totally nonsense switch from bad guy to good guy?

Astral

From the locked thread.

What chemistry? I remember a scene where they both like have a toolbox under a car in the FBI car warehouse? And early on there's the jail scene where they're still enemies.

What does Universal and audiences see in this pairing? Also why are audiences willing to forgive his totally nonsense switch from bad guy to good guy?

You can kinda tell that they knew whatever excuse they came up with wasn't gonna be enough to convince anyone that he's a good guy now. The excuse they give is pretty unbelievable but you just roll with it because of how great a character he is as a good guy.

Statham with baby scene totally stole the movie for me. Besides that I feel like the writing/direction was a step down though. I'd rather see a Statham/Rock spinoff than another Fast movie at this point.

Normally I'd say Cipher killing Elena in cold blood like that means there's no shot of her ever joining the crew

BUT THEN I REMEMBER HAN

opricnik

Banned
this movie was so good. like shit man this few years are great times for movies and me.

Split,Lala land now this

im happy

And that final scene...Jesus, that was bad. Turns his back on his family, ends up nearly getting them killed numerous times and then tells them, "I've always said, never turn your back on family." No one says shit about it. They all forgive him immediately without question. That's ignoring how the franchise handled Elena. Absolute bullshit what they did to her -- bringing her back, only to kill her for a cheap emotional pop for audiences to garner sympathy for fucking Toretto.
Do you really want a scene having him go to all the other characters and spelling out to them why he did what he did, and apologize for his behavior? While the audience already knows he has good reasons.

Do you really want a scene having him go to all the other characters and spelling out to them why he did what he did, and apologize for his behavior? While the audience already knows he has good reasons.

The fact that they allowed her to escape leaves the window open for both Toretto and Hobbs getting some payback for what she did to Elena and by extension, the entire family. Her plans are why the family is now fractured, Han, Gisele and Elena all killed.

The appetizer I think was Dom killing the Hotel Rewards Genie in this one.

Astral

I'm sure he explained everything to them offscreen. The audience already knows why he did it. It was a perfectly good reason and he made plans to betray Cipher from the start. The ending was fine.

I'd love to see Han back in it, perhaps via flashbacks showing how him and Torreto knew/met each other. Or, surprise! He didn't die.

Helen Miren was awesome, it's so cool to see her in the film, hopefully she'll come back for 9. Jason S also very cool, although his character still killed Han.

I'd love to see Lucas Black back in it, I really did love him in Tokyo Drift.

It was blatantly obvious what the baby was going to be named, and I thought it was a little weird, but can accept it. I guess :/

The car zombie scene was ridiculous and hilarious. Also submarine :D

I wish the films had more cars and racing in it. Maybe we need a spin-off series like that.... After watching Tokyo Drift this week, they really are very different films.

For me, it's ranked

1>3>5>7>6>8>4>2 (6,7,8 are very close for me).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom