• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fate of the Furious / Fast and Furious 8 *SPOILER THREAD*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw the movie yesterday. Was good.

The part when the team blocks the fire from the exploding submarine with their cars.........
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Saw the movie yesterday. Was good.

The part when the team blocks the fire from the exploding submarine with their cars.........
giphy-downsized-large.gif

The part where Dom holds an engine block with one hand
The part where Dom jumps and catches Letty in mid-air and breaks his fall with a windshield
The part where they pull a Russian transport plane down with grappling hooks
The part where Dom escapes said plane by driving his car through the nose
The part where Deckard kills a high security detail at a prison hospital with no resistance
The part when Mia and Dom survive unscathed when a bomb detonated feet away from them
The part where they air drop cars into a hostile environment
The part where Hobbs flies out of an office building and onto a car and breaks just an arm
The part where Dom dead lifts a Lycan Supercar
The part where Dom drives said Lycan through 3 buildings
The part where Dom and Deckard get into 2 high speed head on collisions and survive unscathed
The part where Hobbs flexes out of a cast cause he is tired of having a broken arm
The part where Dom causes a parking structure to collapse by stomping on it

...and THAT is your deal breaker?

EulaCapra

Notes and observations:

- Charlize is sooooo good. I'm not sure she realizes she's in a Fast and Furious movie.

- And for all the fun action he provided, Jason Statham's character was completely neutered in this one. I guess all Big Bads can just come into the next installment, slip on a few slapstick bananas, and do a complete 180 with being a villain.

- Jesus christ, I thought the endless airport landing strip in Fast 6 was bad, but this movie for some reason said they had to drive "10 miles" on ice to do something with the submarine. I don't know how 10 miles going over 120 mph translates into 20 minutes lol.

- Is the Rock's Hobbs gay? I don't ever recall his character overtly flirting with women including Elena since his start. I may or may not be reading too much into this, but it reads like a way to reference a character's sexuality in a popular and diverse film franchise without pissing off its worldwide box-office total from mentally-challenged countries. "This is a macho worldwide box-office hit. You won't see his daughter's other daddy until the last film."

Notes and observations:

- Charlize is sooooo good. I'm not sure she realizes she's in a Fast and Furious movie.
Hers was the worst performance for me. She went with this stoic, sometimes whispery approach to the character that came off as a boring and lazy performance.

Skunkers

The part where Dom jumps and catches Letty in mid-air and breaks his fall with a windshield
The part where Deckard kills a high security detail at a prison hospital with no resistance
The part when Mia and Dom survive unscathed when a bomb detonated feet away from them
The part where Hobbs flies out of an office building and onto a car and breaks just an arm
The part where Dom and Deckard get into 2 high speed head on collisions and survive unscathed
The part where Hobbs flexes out of a cast cause he is tired of having a broken arm

Also, the two times in this movie Dom jumps out of a 100+mph car on pavement and doesn't even have a single scrape. This motherfucker tuck and rolls like nobody's fucking business.

Celcius

°Temp. member

I must admit this post made me laugh haha

The part where the high school kids in Japan have all these crazy cars and the police won't chase them.
The part where Brian jumps his car off a ramp to crash land precisely on a boat.

Dishwalla

Banned
A movie due for release in 2019 wouldn't be rated "PG-13", or anything, by the MPAA. Not yet at least, considering it hasn't even been filmed.

The Ford Falcon GT is an interesting car to feature on the poster mockup though.

They fucked up when they fast tracked 7 and Lin couldn't keep it in his schedule.

James Wan was brought in to make that accelerated schedule work but then Paul died and it got delayed anyway.

Trakan

They fucked up when they fast tracked 7 and Lin couldn't keep it in his schedule.

James Wan was brought in to make that accelerated schedule work but then Paul died and it got delayed anyway.

Right, I think it was always that he had other projects he was working on and Universal wanted to fast track it. If he has time, I think he would come back.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

The only one of these that has ever really bothered me while viewing was Dom stomping the parking structure. And maybe the cast flex by Hobbs a little. I remember my girlfriend not being able to hold in a groan when that happened and I just looked over with a shit eating grin.

Dom's superman catch was ridiculous but it was so awesome in the context of the scene that I didn't care a lick.

Lol. What deal breaker? I said I liked the movie. I was just making a joke of the absurdity of a single scene.

Cool your jets.

Well damn, this movie kinda killed the series for me.

It started off on the wrong foot with that opening race. Although I came in a couple minutes late, unless I missed a scene where Dom's cousin or whatever explains how the car he's giving Dom has a special transmission with like 5 forward and 5 reverse gears then Dom winning the race backwards was just bullshit. Although I do like the engine exploding giving him the final boost to cross the line first, that's the good kind of ridiculous, the catching up in reverse leading up to that part wasn't acceptable.

Junior MIB suddenly turning into replacement Paul Walker was in pretty bad taste. The BRZ and (STi?) he was driving were the obvious Brian picks, and they happened right as he ditched the suit and started joking around with the team. I see what you were trying to do movie, and it's not cool.

Statham was the best character in the movie, in terms of doing cool shit, but they didn't do enough to convince me of his sudden change to a hero after 7. Even if he was acting like Zhao Yun saving the baby. He still killed Han, and no one cares. And he didn't even have some plausible reason for doing so other than to piss off Dom.

Protome

The dumbest one for me is still in 7 when Dom drives off the cliff with Ramsay in his car. And you're like "Oh man what's his plan?" and his plan was literally just "I'm going to drive off this cliff and tumble down to the bottom but i'm immortal so i'll be fine. Ramsay, you aren't immortal so here's a helmet."

Link1110

Just saw it, am I giving the writers to much credit when I say that I lived the hypocrisy with the hacker, for whom anonymity is a way of life, saying that her motive was accountability?

Real fun movie, but it's officially a superhero movie at this point, just completely insane fun

Rankings

5-3-6-1-7-2-4-8

5 really was something special. It really took everything seriously, bringing Vince back, making Han a main character, showed that even as this series was hitting new heights with the Rock coming in, that it actually cared about where it started and the meandering path it had taken up to that point. And then it brought all of those disparate characters together to do something amazingly cool.

3 I love half ironically and half for real. The Japan stuff is off on so many details, but then it also gets a lot of weird minor details right. I love the entire sequence in America though.

6 is just about the wrestling match in the airplane.

1 started it all, max nostalgia.

Everything else is kinda meh, and then I actively disliked most of 8.

Chumley

Banned
Just saw it, am I giving the writers to much credit when I say that I lived the hypocrisy with the hacker, for whom anonymity is a way of life, saying that her motive was accountability?

Real fun movie, but it's officially a superhero movie at this point, just completely insane fun

I kind of want to attribute that level of depth to the movie even though it didn't really earn it.

I've always thought the idea of ending anonymity online completely was a really fascinating idea. Accountability at all times, making it impossible to hide.

Well damn, this movie kinda killed the series for me.

It started off on the wrong foot with that opening race. Although I came in a couple minutes late, unless I missed a scene where Dom's cousin or whatever explains how the car he's giving Dom has a special transmission with like 5 forward and 5 reverse gears then Dom winning the race backwards was just bullshit. Although I do like the engine exploding giving him the final boost to cross the line first, that's the good kind of ridiculous, the catching up in reverse leading up to that part wasn't acceptable.

Oh shit I looked up the cars for the movie and apparently yeah that was a transmission with 4 forward and 4 reverse gears. Still kinda dumb (because why would you do that?), and did they actually mention that in the movie? But also kinda impressed.

deleted

Rankings

5-3-6-1-7-2-4-8

5 really was something special. It really took everything seriously, bringing Vince back, making Han a main character, showed that even as this series was hitting new heights with the Rock coming in, that it actually cared about where it started and the meandering path it had taken up to that point. And then it brought all of those disparate characters together to do something amazingly cool.

3 I love half ironically and half for real. The Japan stuff is off on so many details, but then it also gets a lot of weird minor details right. I love the entire sequence in America though.

6 is just about the wrestling match in the airplane.

1 started it all, max nostalgia.

Everything else is kinda meh, and then I actively disliked most of 8.

Interesting, it's

5-3-8-1-2-4-6-7 for me.

Similar reasons for 5 and 3, but 8 was finally embracing the over budgeted, Dragonball esque Superhero Telenovela that the series has become. 6 and 7 missed the tone completely, but 8 was so over the top from beginning to end. Very entertaining. With better direction on the action scenes, it could have been some very special schlock.
8 was stupid in all the right ways.

This movie is so dumb and the parts where it is dumb it's fantastic. It's just the writer can't write dialogue for shit.

I don't want dramatic dialogue and effective delivery, I want dumb over the top crap. I still like 6 more than this, but the action sequences when they did happen were great in this, possibly better.

There was just soooooo much foreshadowing that they ruined the reveal. There was also soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much boring dialogue. I'm watching a F&F movie...

DO I SOUND LIKE THE SORT OF GUY WHO CARES ABOUT MADE UP TECHNO BABBLE?

getonwithit.jpg

Macka

I fucking loved this. Just ridiculously dumb fun. Was grinning the entire time.

Really enjoyed all of Statham's scenes, but did find it weird that the team was immediately accepting of him for the most part.

Saw Fast 8 last night and loved it. Crazy to think this is the 8th film and it's still fun, I guess the big budget for all the crazy stunts and decent cast helps a lot. I definitely get why they want to do a Rock / Statham spin off now, they bounce off each other very well.

Looking forward to see how they can top this one with 9 & 10, it's leading up to Fast in Space isn't it ? lol I really want them to bring some Drifting back into the mix, I'm sure they can find a way to include it in some crazy action scene.

One thing, on the plane at the end with Owen and Deckard, did anyone else think Owen might turn on Deckard, as he just disappeared from the scene while Deckard was kicking ass (I guess Evans had a busy schedule and only filmed that short scene) It felt like one of those movie moments where a good guy disappears for a while, only to turn up later and turn on someone.

The dumbest one for me is still in 7 when Dom drives off the cliff with Ramsay in his car. And you're like "Oh man what's his plan?" and his plan was literally just "I'm going to drive off this cliff and tumble down to the bottom but i'm immortal so i'll be fine. Ramsay, you aren't immortal so here's a helmet."

LOL. That one is good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom