• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fate of the Furious / Fast and Furious 8 *SPOILER THREAD*

Status
Not open for further replies.

cantona222

Really enjoyed all of Statham's scenes, but did find it weird that the team was immediately accepting of him for the most part.

Yeah. Statham killed their friend (the Japanese guy who is Wonder Women's boyfriend). How come they accepted him :(

One thing, on the plane at the end with Owen and Deckard, did anyone else think Owen might turn on Deckard, as he just disappeared from the scene while Deckard was kicking ass (I guess Evans had a busy schedule and only filmed that short scene) It felt like one of those movie moments where a good guy disappears for a while, only to turn up later and turn on someone.
Never turn your back on Family.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The dumbest one for me is still in 7 when Dom drives off the cliff with Ramsay in his car. And you're like "Oh man what's his plan?" and his plan was literally just "I'm going to drive off this cliff and tumble down to the bottom but i'm immortal so i'll be fine. Ramsay, you aren't immortal so here's a helmet."

Can't wait for Doms Weapon X esq backstory

DocSeuss

I liked this movie, but the family dynamics didn't feel right, and it took me way too long to realize it's because the team loses a LOT without Brian. Ramsay is not a very good or fleshed out character. Tej had some good stuff, but he felt less useful/developed here than he had previously. Overall, the family felt way too small.

Why didn't you correct the typo or the grammar?

mooncakes

Yeah. Statham killed their friend (the Japanese guy who is Wonder Women's boyfriend). How come they accepted him :(

That bugged me as well but just wait another 2 years or so. The writer of the movie has acknowledge the problem and is going to address it in the next few movies

“Justice for Han … justice for Han,” he repeated, turning the words over, carefully considering their meaning. “I think you’ll learn a lot more about it, and I don’t know if that hashtag will be the appropriate one to put on it down the road. But I can tell you this: We will definitely be talking more about Han.”

It's worse because the movie intentionally separates Statham from everyone else except The Rock because they know it would be weird. The family never interacts with him or talks with him outside the initial meeting because the movie wants to avoid the elephant in the room.

It's worse because the movie intentionally separates Statham from everyone else except The Rock because they know it would be weird. The family never interacts with him or talks with him outside the initial meeting because the movie wants to avoid the elephant in the room.

Yeah, there is some initial beef but it quickly gets squashed when Dom and Cipher come crashing through the wall.

That is meant to get us to focus on the "greater threat" and conditional forgive.

And then they never address it again.

I like Letty when she's a badass ass kicker. "Wrong team bitch." She's at the worst when she's all sentimental for Dom.

You bring up a great point. Shouldn't Owen want Letty dead or do Han and her cancel out each other?

Bishop89

Saw it last night. Loved it as have every movie in the franchise (except Tokyo Drift)

Action was great, was funny and just overall entertaining.

The last act was probably my favourite but I really enjoyed the 1000+ ai controlled cars bit in NY.

Dom being an unstoppable enforcer type dude was pretty cool too.

Theron was hit and miss for me. Sometimes she was cool, other times a huge bore. I got Angelina Jolie vibes from her too for some reason.

Disappointed she escaped at the end though..

Disappointed she escaped at the end though..

I wasn't cause it feels like she is part of a bigger play in this trilogy (8,9,10)

As an aside, her escape felt very Carmen Santiago-ish...was I the only one?

567a48c7d27a2.gif

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Leon getting his revenge for the death of Vince by teaming up with Han who is getting revenge for Gisele(who is secretly alive) and the betrayal of family by Dom and crew. FAST 9.

A splinter fast group could be a great premise for 9. Instead of the current single bad guy template.

Alx

I wasn't cause it feels like she is part of a bigger play in this trilogy (8,9,10)

As an aside, her escape felt very Carmen Santiago-ish...was I the only one?

567a48c7d27a2.gif

That part made me rather think of "Shoot'em Up" with Clive Owen, and I was rather disappointed that Statham didn't jump with the baby out of the plane to steal Cipher's parachute. :D
(it wouldn't have made any sense, but whatever, it's F&F)

Mr. Sam

Han with an eyepatch and scars, maybe a robot arm, leading a team of all the discarded Fast and Furious characters would bring me back in. This series has got way too rich for me post-Five. It's a wonder I've stuck with it for three movies.

In fact, as we now have to have a reason as to why God's Eye can't just solve everything in each movie, have Ramsey be doing some hacking and, "What? But it's not possible. I've been... counter-hacked."

jcaek9P.jpg

DUN DUN DUUUUN.

JdFoX187

Banned
Dom being an unstoppable enforcer type dude was pretty cool too.

But it wasn't. The whole think reeks of Vin Diesel being an insecure shit who weaseled his way into a producer role and now wants to make himself look as badass as possible now that the only other person with comparable franchise tenure has died. He's the Triple H of the Fast and Furious franchise -- except less talented and more annoying.

Daffy Duck

After reflecting on the film I am really not sure if I enjoyed it or not......something just seems off with it, yes the action was incredible and crazy and this is no longer about DVD players or race wars but I can't just help thinking it was mediocre. Fast Five was fantastic and I love that film, just can't make my mind up on this.

I need Leon back so badly. Throw a million at Johnny Strong and tell him to stop being an ass and come back to the series even if it's only for one film.

Yeah, I loved him too.

But it wasn't. The whole think reeks of Vin Diesel being an insecure shit who weaseled his way into a producer role and now wants to make himself look as badass as possible now that the only other person with comparable franchise tenure has died. He's the Triple H of the Fast and Furious franchise -- except less talented and more annoying.

Part of me thinks it's almost like xxx invaded the Fast and Furious universe.

Damn, tell us how you really feel.

The Rock and Statham were just as over-the-top in their action scenes.

Vin has been a producer on all of them since 4 I thought?

Anyway I definitely felt like Dom chokeslamming the Viking guy with the whole loop de loop camera thing they do for Hobbs every movie was Vin trying to compete with the Rock.

JdFoX187

Banned
Damn, tell us how you really feel.

The Rock and Statham were just as over-the-top in their action scenes.

It's not just the over-the-top action scenes. It's Vin Diesel trying to outdo everyone to ensure he's top dog in the franchise and that no one forgets that. Ever since he was given that producer role, Toretto has become more and more of a caricature while the rest of the "family" has remained relatively the same. He's catching engine blocks with one hand; taking out Hobbs with little issue; catching people in mid-air; driving cars out of flaming airplanes with no injuries, despite crashing and flipping numerous times; driving cars across three buildings; stomping fucking parking garages and causing them to collapse; and just about all of the ridiculous shit that's in this last movie.

They were fairly easy to look past in those last films, but perhaps it's the loss of Paul Walker, but F8 just makes it so fucking ridiculous and apparent that he's clutching his star for dear life to ensure no one overtakes him. It's like everyone in this universe shits their pants when they hear Toretto because no matter how strong, skilled or badass they are, he's always going to be better -- despite no story justification to support it.

ShowDog

Never thought I would say this but Vin Diesel is ruining this franchise. F8 was lame.

He should gracefully embrace his role as The Godfather of the franchise and the crew, a man who does little and says even less because his presence is so powerful. Save that shit for a few key moments when it really matters.

To be frank, he's aging and putting Dom in all these ridiculous scenarios as Mr. Action Superhero star is embarrassing at this point. This is coming from someone who loved Diesel as Dom through most of the series thus far.

Never thought I would say this but Vin Diesel is ruining this franchise. F8 was lame.

He should gracefully embrace his role as The Godfather of the franchise and the crew, a man who does little and says even less because his presence is so powerful. Save that shit for a few key moments when it really matters.

To be frank, he's aging and putting Dom in all these ridiculous scenarios as Mr. Action Superhero star is embarrassing at this point. This is coming from someone who loved Diesel as Dom through most of the series thus far.
I noticed they never showed him running... (save for brief long distance shots)

Lothars

lol what a bad post. he was a really good part of the movie. Sorry you don't agree but doesn't make it any less true.

kaskade

Didn't they pretty much explain that Deckard was a good guy before and everything he did was because of Cipher? I'm guessing that's why they ended up accepting him. The Shaw Bros were basically Dom in the previous films.

Bishop89

It's not just the over-the-top action scenes. It's Vin Diesel trying to outdo everyone to ensure he's top dog in the franchise and that no one forgets that. Ever since he was given that producer role, Toretto has become more and more of a caricature while the rest of the "family" has remained relatively the same. He's catching engine blocks with one hand; taking out Hobbs with little issue; catching people in mid-air; driving cars out of flaming airplanes with no injuries, despite crashing and flipping numerous times; driving cars across three buildings; stomping fucking parking garages and causing them to collapse; and just about all of the ridiculous shit that's in this last movie.

They were fairly easy to look past in those last films, but perhaps it's the loss of Paul Walker, but F8 just makes it so fucking ridiculous and apparent that he's clutching his star for dear life to ensure no one overtakes him. It's like everyone in this universe shits their pants when they hear Toretto because no matter how strong, skilled or badass they are, he's always going to be better -- despite no story justification to support it.
But this is how Toretto was in the original pretty much.

Every character is over the top. We got a mechanic that is basically the worlds best hacker. We got the comic relief that is shooting people in the head on snowmobiles and taking them out with a door. We got the superhero who literally throws people around and pushed a torpedo out of the way. How you can see Vin as any more ridiculous is just strange. He is in more of those scenes because he is the main character.

The loss of Walker has made it so Vin now has even more screenplay. And in this story, it literally is mostly about him, so of course he is there a lot, and then doing ridiculous over the top things, since that is what the movie is about.

Also, what story justification do we have for Hobbs or Shawn being so badass. Or for Ramsay and Cipher being the worlds best hackers. Do we need to show these people training their skills for half the movie first to give it a justification?

ViciousDS

Banned
Just saw it over the weekend. It felt so weird without Paul even with the Shaw brothers. Plane scene was by far the best scene.

But overall I feel like everything was insanely too predictable. Honestly no surprises what so ever.

The naming of the kid, elenas death could be seen miles away because of letty, Shaw not being dead. Everything was easily guessable on first glance of any character.

The action even got a little boring and started to just drag. It just seemed the movie was a little too long as well. Also the over the topness to me went a little too far as well. That heatseeker and then the cars swarm him to protect......seriously? There is a good line between crazy and believable but this movie was just stupid and only crazy.

All in all this is my last fast and furious movie in the theater. I can't bother paying that kind of money to watch these movies anymore, especially with the direction they went.

KdotIX

Also, what story justification do we have for Hobbs or Shawn being so badass. Or for Ramsay and Cipher being the worlds best hackers. Do we need to show these people training their skills for half the movie first to give it a justification?

Hobbs is a trained agent/law enforcer. Deckard was trained and very highly ranked in the SAS. Thats been explained and justified. Dom is badass because #family, muscles and because the plot needs him to be. Although there are some brains to that brawn, if you look at all his tricky situations across all the films and how hes overcome them, it seems as though he's just used his head.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Real reason why they don't need to address why Deckard gets into the family for killing Han. It's already been addressed.

You keep what you kill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom