• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Final Days of the Sega Master System

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Here I take a look at the Sega Master System in the United States. How it fared during its life, and ultimately how things ended up.

Episode Notes:

1. Captured on the Mega SG.

2. TecToy, the Brazilian company that distributed the Master System, still sells a version of it to this very day.

3. The European sales of the Master System far exceeded the US. It wasn't even close.

4. The final 4 games for the system in the US only have a UPC sticker on them to differentiate them from their European counterparts. And people pay crazy prices for them.

5. The redone Master System II had Alex Kidd in Miracle World built in.

6. I remember when they phased out the SMS II, it was just $19.99.

7. Many of the Game Gear games that were released in US, actually had Master System versions in Europe and Brazil.

NahaNago

I always thought this was an atari system when I younger since I hadn't seen this system in ages. You would have thought I would have remembered reading sega on the console. I'm talking about the long black rectangular system with the large brown color box on it.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
I will always have a special place in my heart for the SMS. I juat love the way the original system looks. Something about its retro look makes it so fucking awesome!

MrA

Banned
golden axe warrior is some of the most zelda knock off this side of neutopia, good game though.
anyway, I like master system, but the choice to use the sn76489, 3 square wave and a noise channel was fine in 1981, but in 86 it was definitely limiting,
the late us releases certainly are some of the silliest things ever, sonic 1 UK, 5 pounds, sonic 1 us 700 dollars,
funny thing about brazil is that the system is easy to find, but carts are really hard to find.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
2. TecToy, the Brazilian company that distributed the Master System, still sells a version of it to this very day.
3oxhrj.jpg

The 3rd best console ever made.

I still remember me and my brother getting a telling off from mum, for play WonderBoy on Christmas day 1987 until 3:AM in the morning.

I had a Master System II growing up and it had Alex Kidd pre-built into it. I always fondly remember playing Spy Vs Spy on that thing too.

I think I still have the console at my parent's house.

Top Bottom