• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The first 20 minutes of The Outer Worlds

GymWolf

I wouldn't go as far as saying it looks last gen but it certainly isn't a looker. The lip synching on that lady talking...oof.

Regardless I'm fuckin pumped. Can't wait to spend 2 hours in the character creator stressing on how to spec out my dude.
that's the spirit.

Reactions: Isa
Sounds like you only played the fake (Bethesduh) FO games.

Being a nerd on a gaming forum, I'm well aware of the stellar reputation of the old fallout games that haven't played, but I don't wanna put an asterisk on every diss I make about bethesda's buggy, laggy games and their broken quest lines, adding paragraphs of fine print in 10pt clarifying what I mean.

And these previews don't look like an isometric turned based game from the 90s so pretty much everybody does gets what I mean when I say "fallout only not trash," right?

Having said that, I'm so sorry for what Bethesda has done to the series you love.

Pallas

Gold Member
I feel like some people are confusing Obsidian for Bethesda.

Game looks decent visual wise and pretty entertaining on the story and gameplay front.

scalman

best thing is game releases soon , its better that we dont know anything about it... like almost nothing . then its best experience. i mean if you need to be explained how to play game and why it is as it is before release then you must be really dumb...
i mean nowadays they just explaing and explaining and explaining 100 things about games before release like they would seel it to monkeys or something. Yes we can figure out games you know .. like its not that hard. remember old times, PS2 times when we would buy new game and figuring out about it by playing it.
for me they just doing so much damage to game and like to US to people who might want to play game ... they like no respect , they think people are dumb as shit and they needed to be explained stuff . how much time devs waisting like just making those explaining videos , or tweets, all blogs abdd such...why not spend time to make game to finish it and let us get it and try... so many games got that damage now , new games that still not released but allready explained too much

Last edited:

Humdinger

best thing is game releases soon , its better that we dont know anything about it... like almost nothing . then its best experience. i mean if you need to be explained how to play game and why it is as it is before release then you must be really dumb...
i mean nowadays they just explaing and explaining and explaining 100 things about games before release like they would seel it to monkeys or something. Yes we can figure out games you know .. like its not that hard. remember old times, PS2 times when we would buy new game and figuring out about it by playing it.
for me they just doing so much damage to game and like to US to people who might want to play game ... they like no respect , they think people are dumb as shit and they needed to be explained stuff . how much time devs waisting like just making those explaining videos , or tweets, all blogs abdd such...why not spend time to make game to finish it and let us get it and try... so many games got that damage now , new games that still not released but allready explained too much

Yeah, the purpose of all the previews and stories is to create buzz for the game, but I agree all that can be too much sometimes. You end up feeling like you've already seen half of what the game has to offer, by the time it releases. You lose the fun of experiencing things for the first time, because they're already familiar.

There hasn't been a whole lot of pre-release info on Outer Worlds, so that's good. There has been some spoilery stuff coming out lately. I'm doing my best to avoid it.

Reactions: Isa
On paper this sounds like the kind of game I would LOVE... but I don't. I want to... but I don't.

There's something so dated about how everything looks. Like a high res X360 game. I think I hate how this game looks. From the character models and how stiff they are, to the environment and how empty and completely static they look to be. The lighting is also very flat and ...dated looking.

Is this really using UE4... and it looks this bad?

I'd love to be wrong about this and it has a story that's so engrossing that I just don't care. Even if the characters and interactions are well written that would be enough for me.

Anyway I'm done bashing this game. I honestly want it to be good, but there are just so many red flags. Hard for me to be optimistic.

I think it's going to be a very polarizing game with wildly opposing opinions.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
On paper this sounds like the kind of game I would LOVE... but I don't. I want to... but I don't.

There's something so dated about how everything looks. Like a high res X360 game. I think I hate how this game looks. From the character models and how stiff they are, to the environment and how empty and completely static they look to be. The lighting is also very flat and ...dated looking.

Is this really using UE4... and it looks this bad?

I'd love to be wrong about this and it has a story that's so engrossing that I just don't care. Even if the characters and interactions are well written that would be enough for me.

Anyway I'm done bashing this game. I honestly want it to be good, but there are just so many red flags. Hard for me to be optimistic.

I think it's going to be a very polarizing game with wildly opposing opinions.
Yeah, I'm definitely on the fence for the most part. The team behind New Vegas being able to make whatever the hell crazy Fallout game they wanted is pretty damn intriguing though.

It's just that what I've personally seen (admittedly not a lot) hasn't lived up to my early expectations yet. I'll be playing it for free either way so it's no big loss but it will suck from a fan standpoint if this game underwhelmed.

Last edited:

Siri

Banned
My desire to play this game is waning more and more each day. It just doesn’t look exciting. This was one of my most anticipated games of the year too.

(BTW, I hate that underground city. Why set a game on a planet in the cosmos, and then not show the cosmos?)

Teslerum

My desire to play this game is waning more and more each day. It just doesn’t look exciting. This was one of my most anticipated games of the year too.

(BTW, I hate that underground city. Why set a game on a planet in the cosmos, and then not show the cosmos?)

What?

You can see said cosmos, constantly. You can go on a friggin asteroid. And neither consists any zone out of one city.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Looking forward to the mod love this game will get. Better textures and weather and probably a nude mod will arrive quickly lol

Teslerum

I just read this isn't open world...? That can't be right, surely?

Think multiple smaller open world like zones consisting of planets, asteroids and space ships. Similar to Kotor, but less linear.

Just not open world in the sense of one big map.

Also watch this:

No real spoilers

Last edited:

b0uncyfr0

Impressions so far..

- Graphically it looks dated
- Textures are weak
- Lip Syncing is average at best
- AI is meh..

+Writing seems ok
+Env Colours are quite nice
+Choices are cool
+Voice's are passable

The idea and story will need to be good for me to pick this up. I'm burnt out on traditional RPG's in general but this company loyalty twist makes it quite unique. Will wait for reviews and other opinoins before jumping in.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Impressions so far..

- Graphically it looks dated
- Textures are weak
- Lip Syncing is average at best
- AI is meh..

+Writing seems ok
+Env Colours are quite nice
+Choices are cool
+Voice's are passable

The idea and story will need to be good for me to pick this up. I'm burnt out on traditional RPG's in general but this company loyalty twist makes it quite unique. Will wait for reviews and other opinoins before jumping in.
I won't bother downloading on GP. Looking at the videos, it looks like Fallout 3 from 10 years ago but with more hi-res graphics in a colourful sci-fi setting.

Watching some preview vids, it's like this is a modern day mod for a Gamebryo game.

And ya, watching videos, the lip-syncing is way off.

Top Bottom