• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The First Minutes of Ninja Gaiden Master Collection

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I can't, Forget about them being the Sigma versions, the fact that the first one is the Vita version of Sigma is just Wow
Guess it makes it look like the graphics improved between 1 & 2 😂

Ceadeus

I can't, Forget about them being the Sigma versions, the fact that the first one is the Vita version of Sigma is just Wow
What? is it confirmed? They took the Vita version to port to this collection?!

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
This looks like a tragically weak port.

Lighting and texturing looks barely updated. Frame rate looks inconsistent. Camera still sucks. A damn wasted opportunity. Great series otherwise.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
0eb51dc485b75dd10d829daa91a03436.gif

Something definitely looks off with Sigma 1. I think you guys are right and it's the vita version.

Comparison:

Edit: The way everything feels 'miniature' in the OP's footage due to far away camera angles, the slightly slower combat, off shadows, along with the wall and floor textures not being as detailed(and the camera being pulled back enough to make sure you can't tell).

Last edited by a moderator:

baphomet

Fucking trash PC port which is super unfortunate. I would have paid full price if they had actually put a bit of effort into it.

Comparing the above videos of NG1 & 2 from the Master Collection to their Sigma (PS3) and Sigma Plus (PSV) variants, the graphical assets generally seem to match the quality of the PS3 versions, although the lighting in the Master Collection is slightly different, giving everything a washed-out, less detailed appearance. There are some oddities, such as certain textures on the first boss in NG1 not matching between all three versions (unless it's also a lighting issue related to the PS3 assets). That said, both NG1 & 2 in the Master collection use the Sigma Plus (PSV) life bar, while all the menu elements in Master Collection NG1 seem to be taken from Sigma Plus. Additionally, early in Master Collection NG2, an item from a collection box matches Sigma Plus (PSV), whereas it differs in Sigma (PS3).

Considering past comments from Koei Tecmo and the collection's producer, it does make me wonder, if NG1 & 2 are essentially the Vita releases attempting to wear the PS3's graphics.

cireza

Banned
I already own all games on Xbox, I need to check if this is worth it for the upgrade of Razor's Edge.

anthony2690

Banned
This is a pass for me.

I've been spoilt by the fact I can play ninja gaiden black and ninja gaiden 2 at 4k/60fps already.

And ninja gaiden 3 I sadly could never get into after the demo put me off forever ago.

Then again how different are the sigma versions? I only remember the news article about the ps3 pad making ayane breasts bounce back in the day and Itagaki pretty much saying even he isn't that pervy lol

Pathetic bare bones pc port aside, the purple mist effect in sigma detracts from the swift clean raw impact. It's absolutely awful

Kuranghi

Ryu Hayabusa is such a badass and the design is fantastic. The animations, like the swan jump and branch swinging, are still better in terms of conveying motion than 90% of modern games, really makes the last few AC games look like terrifying marionettes in comparison.

Wth, I was about to ask why the first one looked so soft, all the assets look like they were made to be shown at a much lower resolution/on a much smaller screen.

What a poor effort, so X1X/XSX will still be the best place to play these I take it? Ie with the lowest input and highest IQ?

Meesh

I'm confused here, at first when it was announced I was hype!! Now I feel.... like I was the only straight guy at a gender reveal party where initially it was a family dinner.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I LOVED the first game on original Xbox. I remember getting so far, right near the end and having to fight some giant handed floating boss lady and never could beat her. Still salty about it. Game was the Dark Souls of it's generation and was a hell of a looker too.

NG2 felt like such a weaker game, never could quite put my finger on why, but I just didn't enjoy it the same and never went back to the series.

This "Master" Collection looks like a half-assed port job with no love for the source material and it's a shame. Maybe after a few patches it would be worth a playthrough, but I only really have an interest in the first game and would buy that one if offered à la carte, but if forced into a "collection" I'll just wait for a deep sale. Same issue I had with the Mario Anniversary collection, I really only wanted Galaxy and found no value in the other games and wasn't gonna buy it for just a single game.

Rubik8

I just can’t bring myself to pay for the neutered version. NG2 on 360 was sublime, and I expect nothing less for my money.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Pathetic bare bones pc port aside, the purple mist effect in sigma detracts from the swift clean raw impact. It's absolutely awful
I just can’t bring myself to pay for the neutered version. NG2 on 360 was sublime, and I expect nothing less for my money.
Its still the purple mist censored part 2. Wow.
200.gif

You thought this would be like Mass Effect Remastered? This is Tecmo-Koei. It's a quick cleanup job with a few tweaks. Of course they weren't going to replace the purple mist with blood. You want a bloody NG2 with 60fps at 4k? Buy an Xbox.

Banned
Master Collection already came out back when NG2 got X enhanced. Ninja Gaiden Black and Ninja Gaiden 2

exactly. 1920p60fps for NG Black and 1755p, flawless 60fps, for NG2 on One X/Series X

1440p60 for NG Black and 1170p60, flawless 60fps again, for NG2 on Series S

basically remasters... especially NG2, which had massive slowdowns on 360, but is perfectly smooth on One X/Series X|S

xrnzaaas

Why is it freezing for a split second during some attacks (I was watching Sigma 1 video)? Is it the game's feature or are the ports so bad?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

So, should you buy Ninja Gaiden Master Collection? That depends. If you have access to an Xbox, you’re probably better off buying Ninja Gaiden Black and Ninja Gaiden 2 and calling it a day. But if you’re already a fan of the Sigma games, have never played the series before, or are a PC player who is just getting access to Ninja Gaiden for the first time, this collection is worth your money.

It’s not exceptional, it’s not the best versions of these games, and it’s not what these games deserved. But it is still a collection that includes two of the best action games ever made. And that alone is worth the price of admission.

Top Bottom