• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The first Power Rangers (2017) review is here....

Status
Not open for further replies.
...and it's positive!
Israelite, building on his experience with teen sci-fi feature Project Almanac, orchestrates a vastly more complex array of characters, action set pieces and technical resources for a combined effect that maintains dramatic tension even while teetering on the brink of excess. CGI characters and special effects sequences by Weta Workshop are seamlessly integrated and consistently thrilling.
The Hollywood Reporter.

I have hope!

tumblr_obipwyyUJ61swhepeo1_500.gif

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
It doesn't have to do much to be better than the source material. I'd still be kind of shocked if it was actually good.

That said, the review suggests they're dialing back the "fixation" on martial arts, which is exactly the wrong thing to do with a Power Rangers movie.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I mean, you can only go up from the source material. The main appeal has always been the idea, the iconography, the giant robots and suits and fights. The story isn't going to be hard to one-up.

Glad to hear things are looking good.

It doesn't have to do much to be better than the source material. I'd still be kind of shocked if it was actually good.

That said, the review suggests they're dialing back the "fixation" on martial arts, which is exactly the wrong thing to do with a Power Rangers movie.

I interpret that as, "In the 90s version, each of the five characters were very interested in martial arts as civilians. In this version, there's plenty of hand-to-hand combat, but they don't practice martial arts outside of the costumes."

That being said, martial arts were a big thing in the 90s and they're just not really as big a thing anymore.

Do Power Rangers fans care about review scores?
That first movie and first tv show(the ones people have the most nostalgia for) are pretty bad. Laughably bad, but still bad.
I'd like to say a lot of us had low standards back then as kids, but the Batman animated series was also airing at the same time and it's held up really well since then. MMPR hasn't.

Ideally this new movie should be in the "so bad it's kinda good" category. Good reviews would be uncharacteristic.

Do Power Rangers fans care about review scores?
That first movie and first tv show(the ones people have the most nostalgia for) are pretty bad. Laughably bad, but still bad.
I'd like to say a lot of us had low standards back then as kids, but the Batman animated series was also airing at the same time and it's held up really well since then. MMPR hasn't.

Ideally this new movie should be in the "so bad it's kinda good" category. Good reviews would be uncharacteristic.

Fans alone won't be able to make this movie enough money to greenlight a sequel. They need the GP to see it.

It's been looking better and better with each new trailer and bit of footage released, so I was starting to get an inkling that it might actually turn out OK. Still have to see more reviews before I know for sure, though.

CGI characters and special effects sequences by Weta Workshop
News to me. Had no idea Weta was working on this. Shame the designs are fugly.

Also I need my martial arts in Power Rangers. I hope they're not just super strong brawlers with blasters.

Sounds like a fun time, was gonna see this either way just for the nostalgia and what not, but if its surprisingly decent on its own terms thats nice too. Here's another positive review too

http://www.thewrap.com/power-rangers-review-bryan-cranston-elizabeth-banks-movie/
This quintet of actors is so empathetic and engaging that they more than hold up the John Hughes end of the movie. And if you’re not seeing this for the acting, then at least you get five brightly-clad heroes driving dinosaur-shaped spaceships that eventually meld into one giant, sword-wielding robot. If that’s what you paid to see, then “Power Rangers” delivers it, dollars to donuts.

Weetrick

I'll be watching it either way. Power Rangers twitch marathon has poisoned my soul.

I'm in the same boat. I wasn't interested in it but the marathon got me in the mood. Their buy 1 ticket, get 1 free promo code sealed the deal. Going this Saturday. If only I could watch the movie with Twitch chat enabled.

So it's exactly what the entire production has been aiming for, teenage action film fair - Divergent/Hunger Games/Maze Runner - with Power Rangers motifs layed over top of it.

Fair enough. I was going to give it a shot regardless.

The martial arts are the only reason people like power rangers.

Power Ranger Twitch marathon has me going to see this anyway. I never thought I would end up going to see it in theatres, but I've been hooked on this stupid marathon

So it's exactly what the entire production has been aiming for, teenage action film fair - Divergent/Hunger Games/Maze Runner - with Power Rangers motifs layed over top of it.

Fair enough. I was going to give it a shot regardless.
Chronicle cept slightly worse with shittier CW actors has been my expectation and I see nothing in these reviews to change that.

NightOnyx

Needs more Kelsey!

I was going to see it anyways, but the Twitch stream has me more excited to see it. Hopefully it does well even with Beauty and the Beast cleaning up. I want a sequel with Tommy and the Dragonzord!

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I'm hoping for a Pacific Rim-esque film where it's enjoyable in a ridiculous way but doesn't really hold up to any sort of serious scrutiny.

Just hoping it's not as bad as the two recent TMNT abominations.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I'm in the same boat. I wasn't interested in it but the marathon got me in the mood. Their buy 1 ticket, get 1 free promo code sealed the deal. Going this Saturday. If only I could watch the movie with Twitch chat enabled.

Promo the who now what?

ZeoVGM

Banned
One of the reviews spoilers that the
Zeo crystal
is in the movie. That's pretty damn cool to throw in for fans.

I wonder if they really have a long term series plan here if the first movie is a hit.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
This movie had nowhere to go but up. I feel secondhand embarrassment for adults who like any version of this show. I let my kids watch pretty much anything, but I make sure to tell them, if I ever catch them watching it, how terrible MMPR is.

I was 10 when the show debuted and, after being hyped on commercials, have never been so disappointed in anything in my entire life, Indy 4, Episode 1, and Street Fighter IV included.

I'm going to say this is going to end up being a highly entertaining movie but nothing that will blow minds. Not nearly as bad as everyone is saying it will be. I expect it to be on a similar level to the first Transformers movie which was good imo.

Variety
http://variety.com/2017/film/reviews/power-rangers-review-bryan-cranston-elizabeth-banks-1202011724/

Yet it’s all franchise window dressing. It can’t disguise the reality that the characters in “Power Rangers” have all the depth and idiosyncrasy of walking talking robo-teen action figures. The irony is that 25 years ago, “Mighty Morphin Power Rangers” was launched as superhero diversion “for kids,” and there was a place for it, but we’re so awash in superhero culture that kids no longer need the safe, lame, pandering junior-league version of it. They can just watch “Ant-Man” or the PG-13 “Suicide Squad.” Safe, lame, and pandering have all grown up.

Chumley

Banned
This movie had nowhere to go but up. I feel secondhand embarrassment for adults who like any version of this show. I let my kids watch pretty much anything, but I make sure to tell them, if I ever catch them watching it, how terrible MMPR is.

I was 10 when the show debuted and, after being hyped on commercials, have never been so disappointed in anything in my entire life, Indy 4, Episode 1, and Street Fighter IV included.

I was 5 when it aired in 93. By the time I was like 8 or 9 I realize how dumb it is but by then Mighty Morphin was over, the movie came out in 95 I think so I was basically the perfect age to eat all that shit up. I remember thinking the White Ranger had the coolest looking helmet ever.

This nails it. Power Rangers is a completely irrelevant property in 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom