• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flowers of Evil (Aku no Hana) |OT| There's a rotoscoped SHIT EATER in all of us

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyStu

I remember seeing those first impressions and staying the fuck away from this series. But maybe I should give it another chance...

Squalor

As a fan of Charles Baudelaire (I'm hoping for a lot of references beyond obvious symbolism) and, of course, anime, I'm interested in watching this.

Which sub group should I go with, GG or Taka?

sn00zer

So i try to avoid 99% of anime, because I really really dont like high school drama bullshit or 12 year olds tasked with saving the world...so should i watch this?

So i try to avoid 99% of anime, because I really really dont like high school drama bullshit or 12 year olds tasked with saving the world...so should i watch this?

This is high school drama bullshit. It's just a bit different than most because it's rotoscoped and has a pretty damn oppressive atmosphere. If that sounds appealing, go for it.

Seriously though, you should ask for recommendations in the main anime thread. There's A LOT of stuff that has nothing to do with high school drama bullshit or 12 year olds saving the world.

Squalor

You should probably try not to be so narrow-minded.

There are sundry anime that have nothing to do with your prejudiced conception.

Guess Who

Banned
This is high school drama bullshit. It's just a bit different than most because it's rotoscoped and has a pretty damn oppressive atmosphere. If that sounds appealing, go for it.

Ehhh, I don't think this is a "high school drama bullshit" anime in the same sense most people think of anime about "high school drama bullshit". This is a lot darker and more personal and
rapey-er and suicidey-er

sn00zer

You should probably try not to be so narrow-minded.

There are sundry anime that have nothing to do with your prejudiced conception.

To be fair every big serialized anime people tell me to watch fall neatly into those categories

I did just finish Mindgame recently and that was just fucking amazing and would love more stuff like that (i like adult stories but Ive run out of Sataoshi Kon to watch and I really dont like crazy anime violence)

TCRS

Banned
To be fair every big serialized anime people tell me to watch fall neatly into those categories

I did just finish Mindgame recently and that was just fucking amazing and would love more stuff like that (i like adult stories but Ive run out of Sataoshi Kon to watch and I really dont like crazy anime violence)

I'm just like you, I only like serious animes geared towards adults. I'd say go for it. Aku no Hana has a high school setting but has nothing to do with the usual mainstream crap.

I don't know wth that means, all I know is it has an interesting theme and style, far away from the usual stuff. In my opinion of course, technically I might be wrong.

Demographics.

Shounen: aimed at young males (pre-teen to teen
Shoujo: aimed at young females (same as above)
Seinen: aimed at adult males
Josei: aimed at adult females

duckroll

Episodes 10-13 (END)

I finally got around to finishing this up. The final few episodes were really strong, but the ending just left me scratching my head. Overall I'll say the series was pretty effective at what it wanted to do, but it's a real pity they couldn't decide on a way to make the anime feel conclusive and self contained at the end. I really liked how the series built up to various climatic points in Kasuga's development - his first date, his wild night at the school with Nakamura, the confrontation at the mountain, and finally his decision to set things right with Nakamura.

There are many emotions and relationship points in the show which are extremely realistic and yet mostly absent in most dramas featuring teenagers. Often the preference is to rely on exaggerated comedy or misunderstandings to create more "entertaining" scenarios, but here the tone is dry and bleak, and the focus very much on the psychological aspect of growing up in a mundane town and feeling like the world holds no possibilities or joy. It's a really risky show which I suppose will only ever pay off creatively, and not commercially.

My issue with the way the show ended is that it's simply not satisfying. A finale which recaps much of the earlier show to show how things have come full circle is perfectly fine, but the decision to also include incoherent flash forwards of stuff which seem to take place later in the manga only serves to make the show on a whole feel more incomplete and draws attention to how it is an adaptation of an incomplete work. I found that disappointing when they could simply have ended it with a "they have come to terms with who they really are" conclusion and left the rest of the it open ended. Oh well.

Still, I'll be interested if somehow they managed to get funding for another season. They seem to want to make it, with the "end of part 1" stuff and all. I just don't see where the money would come from though!

Episodes 10-13 (END)

I finally got around to finishing this up. The final few episodes were really strong, but the ending just left me scratching my head. Overall I'll say the series was pretty effective at what it wanted to do, but it's a real pity they couldn't decide on a way to make the anime feel conclusive and self contained at the end. I really liked how the series built up to various climatic points in Kasuga's development - his first date, his wild night at the school with Nakamura, the confrontation at the mountain, and finally his decision to set things right with Nakamura.

There are many emotions and relationship points in the show which are extremely realistic and yet mostly absent in most dramas featuring teenagers. Often the preference is to rely on exaggerated comedy or misunderstandings to create more "entertaining" scenarios, but here the tone is dry and bleak, and the focus very much on the psychological aspect of growing up in a mundane town and feeling like the world holds no possibilities or joy. It's a really risky show which I suppose will only ever pay off creatively, and not commercially.

My issue with the way the show ended is that it's simply not satisfying. A finale which recaps much of the earlier show to show how things have come full circle is perfectly fine, but the decision to also include incoherent flash forwards of stuff which seem to take place later in the manga only serves to make the show on a whole feel more incomplete and draws attention to how it is an adaptation of an incomplete work. I found that disappointing when they could simply have ended it with a "they have come to terms with who they really are" conclusion and left the rest of the it open ended. Oh well.

Still, I'll be interested if somehow they managed to get funding for another season. They seem to want to make it, with the "end of part 1" stuff and all. I just don't see where the money would come from though!

Would your opinion of the ending change if they confirmed a second season was coming?

duckroll

Would your opinion of the ending change if they confirmed a second season was coming?

No, it would still be a puzzling and poor way to conclude the first season. It just doesn't work. A better and more logical decision would be to close the story off with the confrontation between Nakamura and Kasuga, and them coming to terms with what they want from each other and how their relationship can move forward. Having a bunch of lazily edited recap scenes and then a confusing and pointless "preview" of things to come is stupid no matter how you look at it.

Clott

Just finished the final episode, while the show was an absolute feast for the eyes and I loved some of the pacing, especially the two really long walks in the show. It also had some really refreshing characters, and the show managed to develop them and really make them grow as opposed to most Anime.

I just can't get over really disliking the main character and especially Nakamura, I don't necessarily think that should count against the show, but I really wanted to cheer for Takao, I couldn't help myself from starting to hate him, as his only self discovery was his own lack of self worth and that does not hold out for me, as really great art shows you the undertow of life but brings you up again. I never wanted Takao to help Nakamura as she comes across as an extreme sociopath and all around manipulative person.

I was hoping for him to realize that there is nothing wrong with his ideals of Nanako, and to accept the angelic and human duality of the individual. Takao's self sacrifice only comes across nauseating and in the end selfish as I hoped he would find some ideals of his own by the end of the season.

PS. when I watched Kids on the Slope I was really glad I went and read the manga afterward, I was wondering if this would be a similar experience and would round out the characters some more.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think you'll like the manga if you want to see Takao's character develop some more.

Soma

brghRMV.jpg

yesssssssssssssssssssssssssss i've been waiting for this

so fucking good. lots of haunting, atmospheric tracks here and lmao @
the random-ass dubstep
in the bonus track

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Finally had the chance to finish this tonight. Easily one of the best shows I've seen in a long while. The atmosphere is heavy, and accented with an incredible soundtrack (especially for fans of dark ambient or experimental music), while its plodding tale of adolescent frustration and confusion builds up to each crescendo with perfect pacing. This show was also noteworthy to me for its execution and handling of its themes. Certain scenes are given the right amount of breathing room for reflection, while others are sometimes treated with remixed versions of the brilliant ED or main theme at exactly the right moment. Can't possibly recommend it enough.

Jex

Episodes 10-13 (END)

Well I can't disagree there. A thoroughly bizarre choice.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I'm at episode 4. Holy shit. Also, I should stay away from wikipedia, I already spoiled myself something accidentally. :(

Jake.

i watched the first 10 episodes of this pretty much when it came out, then for some reason it took me a year (i.e. just now) to watch the last 2. this is the first anime series i've watched in almost a decade and i loved the rotoscoping style/'normal' looking characters...is s2 confirmed? i know people will recommend the manga but i've got a backlog of novels already.

blakep267

Sorry for the bump. Crunchyroll kinda randomly tweeted about this a week or so ago so I decided to check it out. I ended up really liking it

- I didn't mind the rotoscoping. Mainly because with this kinda story it works because it's real( yeah somethings that happened weren't perfectly realistic) but it was grounded enough that it worked imo. The rotoscoping was able to really convey the emotions of the characters faces that I'm not sure an anime that's not really expensive could.

- while I found the main character to act nonsensical at times, I didn't really hate him. I liked the two female leads more. Nakamura did come off as kind of run of the milk super angsty teenager but I still liked her crazy self.

- I'm mixed on the ending. I think the way they used the future anime/ manga installments in that final scene was really cool, because it leave a lot to the imagination and is kinda intriguing. But I didn't actually need it

I didn't like how the final episode mainly consisted of the entire series flashback and the future stuff.

I read up on how the manga ended and, I don't think o would've liked it much. So I'm somewhat glad the anime ended where it did. indidnt expect any "happy" endings but I don't like the direction it took

pje122

So I just watched episode 13... what was with the flashback to things you didn't actually experience as a viewer? Was that just a fantasy he was having while she was sitting on his chest? And it says at the end "End of Part 1" or something to that effect... Is there more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom