• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Forgotten Realms in Gaming

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
y4AwREs.png

WgScNTR.png

The Forgotten Realms was originally a campaign setting for the tabletop fantasy roleplaying game Dungeons & Dragons (D&D). Created by popular fantasy writer Ed Greenwood in or around 1967, it takes place upon the fictional world of Toril in the land of Faerûn. It is likely the most familair D&D setting for board and tabletop enthusiasts, readers of the D&D fantasy novels, and gamers - having been the featured world of numerous popular creations such as R.A. Salvatore's Drizzt Do'urden and popular video game series such as Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights.

Dungeons & Dragons was once the property of a company named TSR, which was purchased by Wizards of the Coast in 1997. After many years of experimenting with new or rebooted campaign settings, Wizards of the Coast announced in 2014 that The Forgotten Realms would be its offical campaign setting for its roleplaying adventure materials. This coincided with the release of its fifth, current, and by far most popular rules edition - 5E.

If you have played a fantasy video game with "RPG mechanics", featuring creatures such as goblins and trolls and undead, random rolls in the background to determine the success of your interactions with NPC's or actions in combat, chances are they were heavily inspired by D&D and by extension the Forgotten Realms.

This is a thread to discuss the past, present, and future of the Forgotten Realms in gaming.

MOOklbq.png

Some of the most beloved roleplaying video games of the eighties, nineties, and early 2000's were set within the Forgetten Realms - some examples:

fWUjfvQ.png

Though the Forgotten Realms fell out of video gaming prominence during the late 2000's, some video game developers have nevertheless continued to leverage the setting in new or hybrid genres. A few examples:

• Neverwinter | 2013 | Cryptic Studios | Windows, Xbox One, PS4 | Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game
    xDwlfKo.jpg

• Lords of Waterdeep | 2014 | Playdek, Inc. | Windows, OS X, Android, iOS | Board Game (physical and virtual)
    hw8buRx.jpg

odUz6kG.png

During a press conference of the 25th Electronics Entertainment Expo (E3) in 2019, publisher and developer Larian Studios announced that they would be returning to the storied franchise of Baldur's Gate with Baldur's Gate III. Baldur's Gate III entered early access on the digital distribution platforms GoG and Steam on October 6th 2020 to rave reception - selling over one million units and peaking on Steam with over 70,000 concurrent users.

• NeoGAF's Baldur's Gate III |OT|:

• Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance is an upcoming third person action RPG developed and published by Tuque Games. The game will revisit the frigid tundra around Icewind Dale, and will feature the popular characters of R.A. Salvatore's series of Forgotten Realms stories: Drizzt Do'Urden, Catti-Brie, Bruenor Battlehammer, and Wulfgar.

Gameplay Trailer

FURTHER READING

Last edited:
A friend told me that Wizards, Hasbro and or Disney, are all getting together to merge all of their worlds in to one?

So Magic the Gathering takes place in the same 'multi-verse' as Baldurs gate.

Is that horseshit, or am i misunderstanding?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Planescape: Torment was set in Planescape. It is not Forgotten Realms.

It's set amid the various planes of the The Great Wheel (of the time in D&D fiction), which includes the Forgotten Realms. Technically all of the D&D settings exist within the same universe (or multiverse, if you will).

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Excellent write up BadBurger BadBurger

Really fond of this world. Never played the tabletop but I played numerous D&D games growing up (first the SSI games, then the Interplay/Black Isle/Bioware games).

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Excellent write up BadBurger BadBurger

Really fond of this world. Never played the tabletop but I played numerous D&D games growing up (first the SSI games, then the Interplay/Black Isle/Bioware games).

I was introduced to the games as a kid. None of my other friends at the time liked them, as they were "old" at the time (retro wasn't a thing yet). From there I started reading the books and been a fan ever since. I jump at the chance to play any game set within that world now.

Liljagare

Loved the SSI goldbox games.

Makes me sad we still haven't seen a proper Dragonlance game.. Can work in so many ways, the license is dirt cheap nowadays too. Huuuuuuuuge world...

Yellow Yoshi

Neo Member
I tried every single Forgotten Realms game, but none got me before Baldur's Gate released (which is a game I know by heart now).

Well, except for this one, which is set on the more exotic parts of the Realms... this one was good!

468776-al-qadim-the-genie-s-curse-other.gif

Last edited:
Loved the SSI goldbox games.

Makes me sad we still haven't seen a proper Dragonlance game.. Can work in so many ways, the license is dirt cheap nowadays too. Huuuuuuuuge world...
Dude there's been about a half dozen SSI goldbox Dragonlance games. You can even get them all on GOG now.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

Looking forward to Baldur's Gate 3 from Larian.

Am not enthused by other game projects, especially from the now cucked Wizards of the Coast.

The Realms deserve better.

Played a lot of FR with D&D 1rst ed in the late 80ies.
Had a long campaign rubning that kind of ended with the Times of Trouble/ avatar trilogy.

Loved playing Azure Bonds.
Have read the book, played the D&D module and played the game on the Amiga.

Also, I miss chainmail bikini tops

Last edited:

raystlin7

Neo Member
The Forgotten Realms setting used to get some premium treatment from the likes of Bioware and Black Isle. It's a shame how it got a bit forgotten in recent years. Also what happened to Dragonlance?

The Forgotten Realms setting used to get some premium treatment from the likes of Bioware and Black Isle. It's a shame how it got a bit forgotten in recent years. Also what happened to Dragonlance?
I guess devs noticed they could just do their own fantasy worlds and copy whatever they find interesting.
Plus, tabletop RPGs and their settings as a cultural thing are not as omnipresent as they once were back in the 80ies and going into the 90ies.

Hnjohngalt

Wizards of the Coast went woke and determined that the Dragonlance series was not woke enough with Gully Dwarves and how it uses kender and non binary Cis Heroes. Basically, some folks got triggered.

Yeah, and I loved them, haven't been anything much since, is what I meant.
Yeah I hear you. All the D&D worlds get neglected except Forgotten Realms.

They never did a proper Planescape (I felt Torment as a narrative driven game is great but not as a Planescape game) or Spelljammer (there was one but it was bad) crpg. Greyhawk only got one in the form of Temple of Elemental Evil.

That's another cool thing about the Supplemental Security Income goldbox games is they explored Forgotten Realms, Krynn, Spelljammer, Ravenloft, etc.

Wizards of the Coast went woke and determined that the Dragonlance series was not woke enough with Gully Dwarves and how it uses kender and non binary Cis Heroes. Basically, some folks got triggered.
This is sadly true.

Isn't there some lawsuit between the Dragonlance creators and WotC?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
This is sadly true.

Isn't there some lawsuit between the Dragonlance creators and WotC?
Yes. Basically the writers were never paid for their work after WotC decided to not publish their upcoming works in Krynn. Shame real world politics bled into fantasy like that. I really enjoyed Krynn and the companions.

jason10mm

Gold Member
No kidding, virtually everyone in DL was explicitly described as a cis white hetero. Even edge cases like Riverwind and Goldmoon are hard to port over to Native Americans without triggering someone, though Riverwind is often depicted looking pretty "swarthy native" compared to his tribesmate Goldmoon who is lily white. So any attempt to diversify the cast will likely just alienate the long time fans and wreck the story so there are no new fans.

Which sucks because I would love a nice fat box reproduction of all the modules including the chit wargame ones.

WOTC should just dump the IP if they won't move on it. But Draconians are too juicy to give up I think.

Hnjohngalt

No kidding, virtually everyone in DL was explicitly described as a cis white hetero. Even edge cases like Riverwind and Goldmoon are hard to port over to Native Americans without triggering someone, though Riverwind is often depicted looking pretty "swarthy native" compared to his tribesmate Goldmoon who is lily white. So any attempt to diversify the cast will likely just alienate the long time fans and wreck the story so there are no new fans.

Which sucks because I would love a nice fat box reproduction of all the modules including the chit wargame ones.

WOTC should just dump the IP if they won't move on it. But Draconians are too juicy to give up I think.

I would kill for a proper Western or Japanese RPG turn based of the Dragonlance books. If i ever win the lottery i will buy the rights and make it happen.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
It'd be cool if some of the Forgotten Realms videogames explored other genres besides party-based RPGs.

Boardgames are waaaay ahead of videogames in this regard. I guess gettin bought by Wizards of the Coast has something to do with that, but consider...

Lords of Waterdeep, a strategy game of hidden objectives and politicking
Tyrants of the Underdark, similar to above, a strategy card game about running a drow house
or D&D Attack Wing which is basically dueling dragons in the sky

All of these would be a cool theme for a D&D videogame.

In the videogame realm we have RPGs and... a bunch of 80s and 90s arcade games that failed to push D&D beyond the RPGs

A grand strategy war game based off the War of Krynn module would be dope.

WOTC even did an Axis and Allies type board game called Conquest of Nerath.

But DnD is at its core is a party based adventure game so no surprise most adaptations try to recreate that dynamic.
There was actually an SSI Dragonlance strategy game too.

But I know what you mean. Too bad WotC are insufferable POS nowadays.

jason10mm

Gold Member
But I know what you mean. Too bad WotC are insufferable POS nowadays.

Yeah, it is a shame. I used to love the Dragon talk podcast but lately it is nothing but weird fringe guests that mostly stump for their personal IDpol crusade and at some point almost all of them will say "I never played DnD growing up because I didn't think it was for me, but now I see someone that looks like me in the art so NOW I play [in a monetized podcast only though]" yeah right. You were a theater kid, not a nerd, and now you think you can capitalize on something.

De-evilizing drow and orcs, plus eliminating the baked in racial attribute modifiers, was just the latest straw. Everyone wants to be the exceptional snowflake based on their character birth, not for their player class actions. It's a shame. I fully expect next gen DnD to get rid of all classes and just let players pick from a skill list whenever they feel like.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
With the only FR game in the works being the new Dark Alliance, FR news is slim. I am thinking about buying this just to go through, maybe look for a group online to play with (I only tried pen and paper a few times, both online):

Has anyone ever purchased one of these "RPG books" before? Do they have a lot of artwork in them?

Top Bottom