• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Pre-Season |OT| The Power of Dreams™

Status
Not open for further replies.
B_5ez7OU8AASiBY.jpg:large

Ok.

Alonso is a Street Fighter character.

Let's hope he can flex those muscles in Malaysia.

Whoever is saying Manor won't race this weekend or complete the season is talking shit.

They have the money. It's not even debatable. So what if they don't have sponsors all over the car right now? They had very little time to prepare. Their investors are saying all the right things, and they'll collect a nice little sum of money anyway for the points they got last year.

Sauber on the other hand.. They should worry more about the power Eriksson has with his backing and the consequences for pissing them off, rather than Nasr and the Banco de Brasil. I can see Nasr going, personally. I'm more interested to hear what Peter Sauber has to say now the management he put in place has fucked up so badly.

Force India will almost definitely fold at the end of this season IMO. We have HAAS coming in, so at the very least there will still probably be 10 teams. Who knows, all those FI assets and facilties would be very attractive for another bored billionaire.

Oh really?

Tobias Grüner AMuS ‏@tgruener 9m9 minutes ago
#F1 Looks like Manor can't drive at Melbourne because of engine software issues. Concerns also for next races. AMuS:
http://ams.to/manorprobs

Manor will not get the prize money any time soon.

chadskin

Why on earth would they have software issues? Surely they're just running last year's setup with a different body?

The article basically says Marussia deleted the software for the Ferrari 2014 engines from all their computers to be able to sell them as part of the liquidation so Manor now has no access to that software. And Ferrari didn't expect to deliver 2014 engines to a customer in 2015, too.

They say there are rumors in the paddock Manor might not be ready until the fourth race in Bahrain.

That said, I mean - why travel to Melbourne if, you know, you can't get the engine to work (properly)? lol

Alonso taking advantage of the increased weight rules this year I see :p Dudes got some fine arms.

Laughing hard at Sauber right now. It's like watching a circus act.

As for Manor, surely F1 teams/Ferrari back up their data. There's no way in hell they would delete back-ups. Surely?

Alonso taking advantage of the increased weight rules this year I see :p Dudes got some fine arms.

Laughing hard at Sauber right now. It's like watching a circus act.

As for Manor, surely F1 teams/Ferrari back up their data. There's no way in hell they would delete back-ups. Surely?
They sold their flash drives for gas money.

The article basically says Marussia deleted the software for the Ferrari 2014 engines from all their computers to be able to sell them as part of the liquidation so Manor now has no access to that software. And Ferrari didn't expect to deliver 2014 engines to a customer in 2015, too.

They say there are rumors in the paddock Manor might not be ready until the fourth race in Bahrain.

That said, I mean - why travel to Melbourne if, you know, you can't get the engine to work (properly)? lol

But if they didn't show up they would lose their right to prize money.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

It's quite unbelievable though that Ferrari would not have any adequate versioning and backups of their software. Unless Marussia did some necessary customizations, or wrote some service software themselves, both of which are now unavailable.

If they really can't fire up the engine, they'd not be the first ones to just push the car.

Mansell2.png

Spookie

There may be streaming options from our local free to air channel Ten. Poke around here on the weekend:

http://tenplay.com.au/sport

Unsure of region restrictions, but they can be dealt with.

Ended up buying a season pass for the V8's. I can still watch it on demand (I'm not getting up at 4am), although not in HD. :(

I can still watch the highlights on the BBC in the afternoon for the F1. I'll just have to avoid the internet.

Lego Boss

Does anyone else think that the politics of F1 is more interesting than the racing?

I like the racing when it gets up close and personal, but the reality is, it's nothing on Rally-X or TCs, or even truck racing.

The politics of the whole thing would make F. Underwood blush.

“It’s been a little tough, but in the end I’ve always been focussed on this. I knew we had a strong case, and I’ve been training very hard for the last three months, so I’m fit and feel strong. The only thing is you had to be quiet, and this we did, we never said anything to anybody, and this is a nice reward.”

http://adamcooperf1.com/2015/03/12/giedo-van-der-garde-sauber-has-to-work-with-us-now/

This makes it sound like VDG and his team has been planning for months to do this at the last minute? Sure, Sauber hasn't treated him well but it would have been nice if the team and the other drivers involved could have had more time to settle this.

http://adamcooperf1.com/2015/03/12/giedo-van-der-garde-sauber-has-to-work-with-us-now/

This makes it sound like VDG and his team has been planning for months to do this at the last minute? Sure, Sauber hasn't treated him well but it would have been nice if the team and the other drivers involved could have had more time to settle this.

It's only taken this long because Sauber have continually stalled at every stage. It would have been cleared up last year when the Swiss arbitration tribunal ruled in VDG's favour, had Sauber complied with the order. To frame this as VDG playing silly buggers and waiting until the last minute is incredibly unfair.

Mohonky

Haha fucking brilliant.

I was thinkiing earlier when someone said F1 is screwed....if they dont do something about making the sports financials more evenly distributed, it surely is. Mercedes, Ferrari and Redbull are always going to be fine. But look at all the others,

Toro Rosso - Redbull feeder, they'll piggy back fine.
Williams - doing alright.
Mclaren - they've always had a lot of bank but the last few seasons, with a lack of sponsors they must be feeling it.
Force India - financially strapped.
Lotus - couldn't even pay the drivers at the end of 2013, surviving for the moment.
Sauber - utterly fucked
Manor - don't even know if they will race a race yet, much less last this season. Would you even give them any hope of being around next year?

That's basically 2 teams (4 cars) that right now, would be a surprise to last out this season much less enter next. Lotus fortunes are a mixed bag, as is Force India. That's just wondering 'if' they can continue to race much less have the money left over to continue developing a car. Williams had a good thing going last year, but they dont have anywhere near the bank to compete in the long haul with the 3 (potentially 4 if Mclaren sort their shit out) heavy hitters of the sport.

The sport is basically turning into a case of not just 'best of the rest' but 'whats left of the rest.' 4 teams are going to be racing all year throwing money at their cars and development, 2 are doing enough to just make it to races, let alone be competitive.

I am actually wondering how many teams will be left a few years from now, or whether we do end up with less manufacturers but 3 car teams.

Mclaren - they've always had a lot of bank but the last few seasons, with a lack of sponsors they must be feeling it.

This keeps coming up time and time again. McLaren have had fewer sponsors in recent years because they can afford to be picky.

With the Honda partnership, they currently have the largest operational budget they've ever had. They're fine.

Mastah

Hulk:

"[My] take is that they signed four drivers but there is only two cars. That is wrong," Hulkenberg told the BBC, referring to German Adrian Sutil, who also expected to race with the team this year.

"Giedo wants what he was promised and what he was signed for and paid for and that is his right.

"I am not surprised because I know the people, I know how it has been there in the past.

"They were desperate for some money to survive, which is maybe a general problem of F1.

"But still that is not a way to do business and to screw people like this."

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hulkenberg-critical-of-sauber-over-van-der-garde

It's only taken this long because Sauber have continually stalled at every stage. It would have been cleared up last year when the Swiss arbitration tribunal ruled in VDG's favour, had Sauber complied with the order. To frame this as VDG playing silly buggers and waiting until the last minute is incredibly unfair.

Couldn't he have taken his case to court earlier?

With more time Ericsson or Nasr might have had a chance to take their money to another team that could be in better finacial shape at the moment.

But if he had gone to court earlier they team might not have been in Australia right now. It's just a bad situation for everyone.

http://as-web.jp/news/info.php?c_id=1&no=63751

translated by muramasa

-Testing didn't go as we hoped it would at all, and couldn't complete the program as we planned. To be honest, although we could evaluate and verify each component of various tech one by one, we were not able to reach the stage where we finalize everything and confirm "we'd definitely go ahead with this". If compared to jigsaw puzzle, checking each piece of puzzle could be done, confirmed we have the whole picture but couldn't finish up the puzzle, that's the feeling after all the testing done.

-We are here in Melbourne after going through extremely hard work at both R&B in Japan and Milton Keynes, solving all the problems we had during the testing. We think we've done all we could, and overcome the problems that had occurred during the testing. We had an issue in seal for example, but we've checked everything at Sakura before bringing it here, so now we don't think the problem will occur. We are reasonably confident about it.

-PU's reliability is not secured by sacrificing / in exchange for performance. The parts that had problems and uncertainty in reliability, we made improvement to all these, so we didn't barter performance for reliability. What's worrying is that we were not able to confirm and verify that properly by actually running it on track. But it's not that we were trying out something else by putting reliability aside. We have lack of experience, and actually ended up having some things we thought was a bit too much in hindsight, as a consequence of pursing development aggressively til the very end, eg making it lighter and tighter even more. It was mostly heat issue. We think the package is quite tight, and drivers say the car will be better as it gets developed and once everything starts functioning fully. We're fairly confident about the car's competitiveness.

(Regarding the recent f1.com article on the Honda PU layout http://www.formula1....15/3/16858.html )

- No comment (laugh). I think it's interesting, but I wonder where and how it came from. That's unique indeed isn't it? But we never told anything to f1.com.

-That we could not do everything we had wanted/planned is what it is to be honest, so we think we have no other choice but to advance things step by step, like pushing it a bit aggressively on data (not so sure what that means but maybe the way they go out to gather data), and we'd like to be able to manage the race properly at first. Then, in the coming several races, we'd like to up our learning and assess how much we can push it from the data in order to be able to go offensive as soon as possible. We think we shouldn't finish the first GP by just completing the race without trying and achieving anything meaningful. We think it's important to be able to make proper running in FPs and Qualifying as the first step. There's always anxiety, but we've done it very aggressively, and we have no worry regarding the problems we encountered so far.

DieH@rd

Banned
From BBC:

Force India driver Nico Hulkenberg: "Geido wants what he was promised, what he signed for and, I think, also paid for. It's his right. It's not a way to do business and to screw people like this."

Williams driver Felipe Massa: "It shouldn't be the way people treat drivers. They should respect drivers. It doesn't matter if you are a driver or an engineer, if there is a contract then that should be respected. Drivers should stand up for their rights, so I see it as a good thing."

He did. Everything was done by the book, including initially trying to negotiate with the team (and allowing an appropriate amount of time for them to respond etc before filing with the courts).
Man I do hope Kaltenborn doesn't try to represent herself in anymore court cases, for her sake.

He did. Everything was done by the book, including initially trying to negotiate with the team (and allowing an appropriate amount of time for them to respond etc before filing with the courts).

I'm sure everything has been done by the book from his side. It's just that his statement makes it sound like they planned to do this final move as late as possible so that the other parties involved wouldn't have any time to react.

“It’s been a little tough, but in the end I’ve always been focussed on this. I knew we had a strong case, and I’ve been training very hard for the last three months, so I’m fit and feel strong. The only thing is you had to be quiet, and this we did, we never said anything to anybody, and this is a nice reward.”

I'm sure everything has been done by the book from his side. It's just that his statement makes it sound like they planned to do this final move as late as possible so that the other parties involved wouldn't have any time to react.

You don't talk about on-going legal matters in public. That's what he's talking about.

Aiii

So not worth it
No, his statement said he didn't make public statements about going to the court or any press interviews about it.

^^^ What ASA said.

Mastah

Can someone who bought F1 App for 2015 log in to F1 Access and confirm subscription is indeed across all platforms?

kvk1

Just subscribed.

If anything I hope it'll be a message to the management that the online part of the experience exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom