• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Pre-Season |OT| The Power of Dreams™

Status
Not open for further replies.

Massa

Will be interesting to see how the viewing numbers go this season because everything just looks bad for the sport right now, 1 team way way out in front, 3+ teams at the back nearing complete bankruptcy, and the only new supplier this year has been so hamstrung by the development rules that they don't even think their engine can go 1 race distance.

People didn't stop for Schumacher or Vettel domination, they're not quitting when it's Hamilton vs Rosberg.

I'm excited as hell for the weekend. Can't wait for the actual race.

Hammer24

Banned
People didn't stop for Schumacher or Vettel domination, they're not quitting when it's Hamilton vs Rosberg.

I'm excited as hell for the weekend. Can't wait for the actual race.

Yep! At least there is still a competition, and not just one runaway guy.

NHale

Will be interesting to see how the viewing numbers go this season because everything just looks bad for the sport right now, 1 team way way out in front, 3+ teams at the back nearing complete bankruptcy, and the only new supplier this year has been so hamstrung by the development rules that they don't even think their engine can go 1 race distance.

Honda had the advantage of watching other teams issues during last year and still couldn't manage to avoid being the worst performer of all 4 engines at the 1st race of V6 era. Even Renault solved their bigger issues before Melbourne.

And strangely the tragedy everyone predicted last year (a bunch of DNF with only 7 cars finishing) is very likely to happen this year because Renault has worst reliability, Force India barely run during testing, Sauber/Manor will probably not race, McLaren will last 5 laps, Lotus is very unreliable.

Instead of moving forward the sport is moving backwards. Melbourne used to be the race everyone was excited because of the fresh start after a 5 month break but I watched the FP1 and instead of excitement about seeing the new cars/drivers, I immediately felt sad about the current state of F1. It looks like a feeder amateur series with most cars unable to drive more than 2 laps in a row and not the pinnacle of motorracing.

And as expected the Mercedes gap actually increased during the winter. According to those that predicted this gap (0.8sec softs / 1.4 sec mediums) beforehand, Ferrari is the 2nd faster on low fuel, Williams is 2nd faster on race pace with better tyre management.

DBT85

Eh, honestly I see it as a tactic for RBR to force Renault to get their shit together for next year. They could've worked on it during the season last year but still managed to have an engine the same (if not worse) than the 2014 revision.

I wouldn't be surprised to see RBR go to another supplier in the next season or two. Renault have taken them from four-time WCC winners to grateful recipients of Mercedes' sloppy seconds.

Shouting and stomping your feet will get you nowhere. Renault wil clearly have been trying to improve, what the reasons for their failure are nto clear, is it the people, is it the money, is it both?

Red Bull had a great partnership with Renault in the V8 era and won a lot with them even while they weren't a works team.

But no current engine supplier will team up with them if they ditch Renault, so it means either making their own or getting a Cosworth or a new entrant in. So that's either the VAG group who I don;t think want anything to do with F1 at the moment or...

McNum

So has anyone ever been arrested during a race in Formula 1? Because as I'm seeing that whole Sauber farce, the only proper way to end this would be for the bailiffs to show up mid-race and confiscate everything.

I mean, how else are you going to end this one? Might as well go for maximum drama at this point.

DieH@rd

Banned
So has anyone ever been arrested during a race in Formula 1? Because as I'm seeing that whole Sauber farce, the only proper way to end this would be for the bailiffs to show up mid-race and confiscate everything.

I mean, how else are you going to end this one? Might as well go for maximum drama at this point.

One sponsor was mad at BAR Honda which prompted them to confiscate some of their gear at one F1 race in early 2000s. :D

Jibbed

ImprobableAngelicGuernseycow.gif

Ruruja

I like the new TV overlays - easy to read, nice and clean. Did anyone get a chance to test out the live timing on that F1 Access with FP or was it full of issues?

Juicy Bob

Live timing worked fine for me on the site. Some features are available during races only, but it's a definite step up over last year, easily.

McNum

One sponsor was mad at BAR Honda which prompted them to confiscate some of their gear at one F1 race in early 2000s. :D
Oh, I don't remember that. Was there any arrests, though?

No need to confiscate everything, just one tyre from each set lol.
That's a funny idea. How little do you need to confiscate to make a team unable to compete, anyway? One tyre per set is a good one. Anyone have an idea for less?

It is kind of funny how I'm not so much looking forward to the race itself, but more the Sauber fallout. That's where the real entertainment will come from if the Mercs just take off as usual.

Chris R

Oh, I don't remember that. Was there any arrests, though?

That's a funny idea. How little do you need to confiscate to make a team unable to compete, anyway? One tyre per set is a good one. Anyone have an idea for less?

It is kind of funny how I'm not so much looking forward to the race itself, but more the Sauber fallout. That's where the real entertainment will come from if the Mercs just take off as usual.

Two steering wheels.

Pryce

Awesome to see Ferrari so fast. Compared top the rest of the competition, of course.

Looks like Vettel made the roght choice in leaving Red Bull. They're pretty much shit right now.

mclem

I demand an exciting car chase.

It might be the only chance for one this weekend.

Shouting and stomping your feet will get you nowhere. Renault wil clearly have been trying to improve, what the reasons for their failure are nto clear, is it the people, is it the money, is it both?

Red Bull had a great partnership with Renault in the V8 era and won a lot with them even while they weren't a works team.

But no current engine supplier will team up with them if they ditch Renault, so it means either making their own or getting a Cosworth or a new entrant in. So that's either the VAG group who I don;t think want anything to do with F1 at the moment or...

VAG would be awesome. They're involved in pretty much every other type of racing competition.

Just need to get rid of the that prehistoric fucking midget Bernie as I beleive that's the main reason they don't want to join.

McNum

I demand an exciting car chase.

It might be the only chance for one this weekend.
Two Sauber F1 cars loose in Melbourne, trying to escape the law. Live on TV. You're right. That would be amazing.

Honestly, I have no idea how well an F1 car handles normal roads, can't be all that good for it, I'd imagine.

Two Sauber F1 cars loose in Melbourne, trying to escape the law. Live on TV. You're right. That would be amazing.

Honestly, I have no idea how well an F1 car handles normal roads, can't be all that good for it, I'd imagine.
I can't wait for footage of somebody trying to lasso Monisha Kaltenborn, I hope she's agile.

dubc35

Obviously F1 Access is new but I'm trying to find the value of it outside the live events. I'm sleeping during pretty much every GP so I'm not sure how much I would use it.

Two steering wheels.

Probably more effective than tires. They could get Malaysia's set from Pirelli. Taking their trailers/freight shipping containers would be pretty effective too.

DrM

Redmond's Baby

Fantastic :D :D :D

Meanwhile, Jenson Button’s life is being made harder by Mark Webber who keeps texting him pictures of things that are faster than the McLaren such as his Porsche 919, his dog and his house. The real loser in all of this is Fernando Alonso who, following concussion suffered in testing, has no memory of how shitty the car is and will be in a for a horrible surprise when he comes back
I cannot breathe :D

Aiii

So not worth it

Absolutely brilliant.

Max Verstappen is a controversial choice but should be quick, mainly because he wants to get on the podium so he can steal the booze for a party one of his school mates is having when their parents go away. The STR10’s driving position has been specially modified for teenage Verstappen to allow for the fact that he will be racing whilst texting and looking at Snapchat.

Best part, this.

Mohonky

Very on point. The rest of the site also, lol.

http://sniffpetrol.com/category/news/#.VQMyJicaySM

A motorist in Australia got a shock today as they returned to their car to find the driver’s seat already occupied by Dutch racing driver Giedo van der Garde.

‘He said I’d promised him a go in my car and wouldn’t get out,’ explained Steve-o Wilson-o, 36, of Melbourne. ‘So I had to let him, then as soon as we set off he swerved into the next lane and hit another car. He said it was because he’d been promised a place on that bit of road, then he asked where my house was and what my wife was like.’

Sources in Australia say van der Garde has been making a nuisance of himself in this way since arrived in the country two days ago, sitting on the lap of another man on the plane after claiming he’d been promised seat 14B.

‘This is a really awkward situation,’ said Sauber driver Marcus Ericsson speaking exclusively to Sniff Petrol on the phone. ‘Hold on, I’m out for dinner. The waiter is just showing us to our tabl… oh for God’s sake.’

Leonsito

It is there, you just have to scroll to the part where all the races appear, and then the timetable appears.

Edit: Why are we stil in the pre-season thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom