• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The full text of the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) has been released

Status
Not open for further replies.

sestrugen

Hilarious how Obama thinks this will lead to better jobs for Americans, maybe for a select few but the offshoring of low-medium level jobs will continue to increase.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Didn't Jim Sterling do a video and was promptly criticized for not staying in his lane?
I'm not familiar with Jim Sterling's videos or the criticism he got for that one, but this kind of video isn't out of the norm for George. His audience doesn't have a problem with it and appreciates his analysis outside of game reviews.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I contacted my congressional representative.
... My congressional representative is Paul Ryan. So I might just be screaming at a brick wall.

Zaptruder

Banned
Incredibly disappointing.

I know dramatis insists that this is a normal and reasonable expansion on corporate powers... but we're well into a course of history in which corporations have gained the upper hand over democracy.

Our rights have been thoroughly erroded. The only thing stopping them from been completely devastated is the cost of prosecuting every instance in which there's been legal wrongdoing according to the rules drafted with assistance of lobbyists.

noshten

Any op-eds on why it would be good to pass TPP?

It's the Gold Standard of trade deals?

“I know that if you take a look at what’s actually in the TPP, you will see that this is, in fact, a new type of trade deal that puts American workers first,” Obama said in a statement released by the White House.

“The TPP includes the strongest labor standards in history, from requiring a minimum wage and worker safety regulations to prohibiting child labor and forced labor,” he said.

A huge win by Obama, this is truly the Gold Standard Hillary talked about.

I was skeptical of the TPP, but I wasn't fully on the anti-TPP train, preferring to wait for the full release instead.

However, if the summary posted here is true, well... this thing's gotta go.

There is some incredible amount of fearmongering in here from people who haven't read the agreement. That sure bodes well for evaluating it thoroughly.

As for opposition and support, the massive text has only been out for a day, but some of the opposition put out releases against it less than six hours after release, which kind of signifies to me that they already decided their stance without looking at the text. I don't buy the supporting statements either, especially since Congress won't even vote on it for months, which means they are being given a lot of time to figure this stuff out.

Are we actually going to be this ridiculous and not wait for some proper analysis before screaming in fear?

This is some masterful trolling Drama but the reality is that key sections of the agreement were being leaked by Wikileaks for at least a year before the secret document was finally released in its entirety. The IP section is more or less unchanged from the leaked draft earlier this year.

A short analysis of the corporate sovereignty and IP sections from Techdirt.

Yeah, the TPP is utter garbage. Thankfully, it's also major political football. The US isn't gonna ratify it anytime soon with the election around the corner and it's increasingly popular for candidates on both sides to shit on it. Neither Hillary nor Sanders support it, and it's widely unpopular amongst the Democrats, which will make things problematic for TPP if the senate swings back into Democrat control.

Hari Seldon

The TPP is widely unpopular on the tea party side as well. The number of people not supporting it doesn't mean shit. Only the amount of money supporting it means anything.

A short analysis of the corporate sovereignty and IP sections from Techdirt.

Yeah, the TPP is utter garbage. Thankfully, it's also major political football. The US isn't gonna ratify it anytime soon with the election around the corner and it's increasingly popular for candidates on both sides to shit on it. Neither Hillary nor Sanders support it, and it's widely unpopular amongst the Democrats, which will make things problematic for TPP if the senate swings back into Democrat control.

If you think Hillary won't go along with TPP I've got some bad news for you

Kenai

Ok, I don't really understand. Forgive me for sounding stupid when I ask.

Most candidates, both Dems and Repubs, are against this bill? Or at least a lot of them?

Why would this pass anyway? "Oh cause money" doesn't actually explain anything to me.

Steel

Banned
Ok, I don't really understand. Forgive me for sounding stupid when I ask.

Most candidates, both Dems and Repubs, are against this bill? Or at least a lot of them?

Why would this pass anyway? "Oh cause money" doesn't actually explain anything to me.

Obama will probably be able to convince a not-insignificant number of democrats to vote for it, and, contrary to how much of an effect they have on congressional discourse, the teaparty isn't the entire republican party, which is mostly for the bill. Furthermore, in the Senate the bill only needs a simple majority(51-49) to pass which significantly raises the chances of it going through.

Even further than that, the timing of the 90 day review period starting now puts most of that time during Congress's holiday break, so it won't get as much scrutiny as it should, not to mention since the media writ large aren't paying attention, widespread political blowback for those voting for it is unlikely.

Obama will probably be able to convince a not-insignificant number of democrats to vote for it, and, contrary to how much of an effect they have on congressional discourse, the teaparty isn't the entire republican party, which is mostly for the bill. Furthermore, in the Senate the bill only needs a simple majority(51-49) to pass which significantly raises the chances of it going through.

Even further than that, the timing of the 90 day review period starting now puts most of that time during Congress's holiday break, so it won't get as much scrutiny as it should, not to mention since the media writ large aren't paying attention, widespread political blowback for those voting for it is unlikely.

At the same time though, if we get enough people to get worried about it (much like how we acted against SOPA), I think we have the ability to turn some things around. I want to see Obama's argument for why he's essentially enabling SOPA and reducing global environmental standards.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I've been a defender of the process of the trade agreement, but i'm not a defender of the content of the trade agreement. We need to torpedo this agreement.

family_guy_barfing.gif

I'd rather have Keystone than this shit. WHY OBAMA.

So, why is Reddit of all places having a reaction that's ranging from "it's a fucking trade agreement of thousands of pages, let's wait for it to be interpreted" to "some of these provisions are pretty good" while GAF is having a meltdown?

See:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLo...his_whole_tpp_thing_about_should_i_be/cwpk8y0

https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/...ext_of_the_tpp_has_just_been_released/cwpf4kw

GAF is more liberal than reddit. I'll wait for some analysis on this. Doesn't sound too goo though.

The fight against these is probably going to play out like previous fights, right now it is the early stages, mostly grassroots stuff and the mainstream media will ignore things until enough noise is made.
We were making a lot of noise beforehand and were written off as paranoid or delusional... Somehow I doubt 'enough noise' will fix anything.
Ever.

At the same time though, if we get enough people to get worried about it (much like how we acted against SOPA), I think we have the ability to turn some things around. I want to see Obama's argument for why he's essentially enabling SOPA and reducing global environmental standards.

Its going to pass. Congress gave him the ability to fast track which allows a majority to pass and no amendments to effect it. Majority of the house and around 60 senate members passed him the ability . If they vote for that then those congressmen are most likely going to vote for it.

Also how many people read part of the bill?

You mean other than the fact that she said she's against it?

She is literally part of the administration responsible for this! She made the same promises and praises of the TPP that Obama is still making now, and all the sudden, now that she's running for president, she's not satisfied with it. Do you seriously expect me to believe that?

samn

wow Obama's really getting shit done in his last term !

he don't give no fucks any more wow what a cool guy

Foffy

Banned
This is some masterful trolling Drama but the reality is that key sections of the agreement were being leaked by Wikileaks for at least a year before the secret document was finally released in its entirety. The IP section is more or less unchanged from the leaked draft earlier this year.

B-but Wikileaks has an agenda!

GAF is more liberal than reddit. I'll wait for some analysis on this. Doesn't sound too goo though.

Ideologies aside, at least the discourse is objective and rational in those reddit threads compared to here so far. For instance, look at this.

wow Obama's really getting shit done in his last term !

he don't give no fucks any more wow what a cool guy

Offers no insight, no analysis, probably BARELY read the OP and just decided this deal is the worst thing ever. Now sarcastic shit-post and done for the day.

I've skimmed through parts of the TPP and yeah the leaked chapters from before were spot on. It sucks because Obama ran as a progressive when he first went up against Hillary for the 08 nomination and seeing as they are both corporatists I have little faith in any democratic politicians putting a fight to stop this. Only a few like Bernie will truly fight to the bitter end.
It's crazy how much of a smokescreen Obamas agenda has been. One of his promises when he ran for the presidency was to over turn NAFTA. He was going to the Arctic trying to shine light on climate change. Instead he's trying to push this Shafta on steroids crap global. I wonder how the next 10 to 15 years is going to look as climate change continues to affect everyone's lives along with international trade agreements squeezing the living hell out of the middle class (not to mention automation) It's almost done though as these types of policies have been pursued ever since Darth Raegan took office. The Corporotacracy is going to try and own everything they can on this planet. And to the people here thinking that there are too many alarmists and that we should wait until it is fully understood, understand that ever since the 80's when neoliberalism took center piece in American politics the U.S. hasnt been the same. There was a time when people could go to any UC school and it was free (until Raegan ended that). I'm still hoping something can be done to combat this as my family outside the states will be affected by this shit too, thank you big pharma.

Dead Man

Ideologies aside, at least the discourse is objective and rational in those reddit threads compared to here so far. For instance, look at this.

Offers no insight, no analysis, probably BARELY read the OP and just decided this deal is the worst thing ever. Now sarcastic shit-post and done for the day.

Whereas your post contributes insightful analysis and well researched facts...

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
While it would be nice for a deeper analysis, what worries me is the wording of the text, if it can be mis-interpreted by any regular person, I'm very sure that it will be abused by the people who know about these things.

Additional message for the people of Colombia -- your government has expressed interest in or intent to join the TPP if it is ratified by the original 12 signatories. You might want to have a few words about that with your governments.

giphy.gif

God help us all.

NewGame

Banned
man if i wasnt politically neutral i would be so scared and stuff.

oh well, looks like human government screws it up yet again

rip planet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom