• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Future of Lost Planet

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Actually, this post is what I expected from the game. Like my dislike towards LP3 is due to it being a threat towards the things I loved about the series, but overall it seems solid, average to possibly good, and I wouldn't mind it's existence if it had been a spinoff entry or just some unrelated game. When it was the next entry in the franchise it was kinda heartbreaking, also I'm not a fan of later prequels.

I really appreciate you for taking the time to write this up Al, much love man. I totally agree, I've grown to have so many beefs with Capcom for this gen after 2009 it's ridiculous. I really wonder what the hell happened to them. I'll let the fighting games slide, people still like SFIV and MVC3, it's to be accepted, but other choices in directions for other games, DmC, LP3, and BOF. Like you really have to wonder. The only thing Capcom does now that makes me happy outside of Monster Hunter and revisions, is Zack and Wiki, and Gundam Vs Gundam. Did Inafune really strike that big of a blow? It's like being a Sonic fan 2004-2007 all over again.

Also I thought his name was Jim? They changed it?

No I'm a fuckin idiot, I was thinking of his voice actor Bill Watterson, got mixed up :p Changed it now so if you could use the changed one in the OP I'd appreciate it!

I absolutely understand your disappointment as well. Taken on its own I think Lost Planet 3 is a fine game but it's so different I don't blame fans for not even being interested in it. I felt the same with Ninja Gaiden 3, one of my biggest disappointments this gen though that was admittedly still more of an action game, just a very poorly done one.

Jawmuncher

Yeah, the thing that surprised me out of all of this was how much I loved Lost Planet 3. I'll try and explain why to the best of my ability (I apologise in advance as I'm not a good writer)
{SNIP}.

Gotta say this was a good write up. Has me even more interested in playing the game.
My DC3 comment was aimed more towards that both of those 3 are radically different from the other 2 and probably the last. With that said your explanations on it all seems like the game would be right up my alley. As I said before I plan on buying it during the winter/holiday steam sale. As for the rest I can understand the disdain towards LP3. It's the same case DmC has in a sense. It's good for what it is but because it was supposed to be the continuation of the franchise I can understand the hate towards it.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Gotta say this was a good write up. Has me even more interested in playing the game.
My DC3 comment was aimed more towards that both of those 3 are radically different from the other 2 and probably the last. With that said your explanations on it all seems like the game would be right up my alley. As I said before I plan on buying it during the winter/holiday steam sale. As for the rest I can understand the disdain towards LP3. It's the same case DmC has in a sense. It's good for what it is but because it was supposed to be the continuation of the franchise I can understand the hate towards it.

Yeah get it dirt cheap in the xmas sale if you can, that way if you dislike it then you didn't pay much. A lot of people think LP3 is boring whilst it hooked me in so it could go either way for you. But then I'm the sort of guy who can wander around worlds like Far Cry 2 doing fuck all for 20 hrs so needless to say if a game draws me in, it draws me in hard :p

No I'm a fuckin idiot, I was thinking of his voice actor Bill Watterson, got mixed up :p Changed it now.

I absolutely understand your disappointment as well. Taken on its own I think Lost Planet 3 is a fine game but it's so different I don't blame fans for not even being interested in it. I felt the same with Ninja Gaiden 3, one of my biggest disappointments this gen though that was admittedly still more of an action game, just a very poorly done one.

Yeah, I really want to give NG3 a try to measure up the complaints but I remember being unsure about it when gameplay videos were unleashed and I started to notice that they were breaking away from basic principles of both Ninja Gaiden and Ryu as a character.

Especially when they kept throwing around the term, "Realism". The concept of Ryu struggling to kill his enemy or the thought of him second guessing himself along with the bone to steel mechanic really felt like a bad choice. Also weren't there QTEs in there? I still haven't played it.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I really want to give NG3 a try to measure up the complaints but I remember being unsure about it when gameplay videos were unleashed and I started to notice that they were breaking away from basic principles of both Ninja Gaiden and Ryu as a character.

Especially when they kept throwing around the term, "Realism". The concept of Ryu struggling to kill his enemy or the thought of him second guessing himself along with the bone to steel mechanic really felt like a bad choice. Also weren't there QTEs in there? I still haven't played it.

Yeah it has QTEs etc. The Razors Edge version was better but the same bad game remains underneath it all.

PirateKing

Do NOT play Ninja Gaiden 3 vanilla. I'm warning you.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Oh, Capcom. What is it that makes you change games so radically from made them unique to whatever it takes to chase after that invisible dollar bill?

sleepykyo

Dead. Capcom started off strong last gen with Lost Planet and Dead Rising and finished off last gen with Lost Planet and DMC dead.

Do NOT play Ninja Gaiden 3 vanilla. I'm warning you.

Yeah it has QTEs etc. The Razors Edge version was better but the same bad game remains underneath it all.
Sweet Lord....

Oh, Capcom. What is it that makes you change games so radically from made them unique to whatever it takes to chase after that invisible dollar bill?

I wish I can turn back the hands of time, and just watch everything that took place that caused Capcom's descent from the Heavens, who were the people behind this shit?

synce

I think this series has as much of a future as Onimusha, Dino Crisis, DMC... you get the picture.

Lost Planet 2 is really fun in coop. I think LP is finished though. I always thought that they made two franchises out of LP after 2, what ended up being EX Troopers and LP3. The first super japanese/anime and the second is a cinematic western bro shot.

Camjo-Z

I was a big fan of Lost Planet 1, but the sequel was the #1 reason why I don't buy $60 games day 1 anymore unless I'm absolutely certain I'll love it. Co-op sucked thanks to a lack of drop-in/drop-out, the story made no sense and had you fighting humans more often than Akrid, and the multiplayer was unbalanced bullshit that relied more on whether you had the best grenades from the vending machine than actual skill. I got more enjoyment out of the Lost Planet minigame in Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom than I did the entirety of LP2.

MedIC86

I loved lost planet 2 coop online, killing the larger then life bosses was insane fun with the mechs and all the crazy stuff you could do.

Fireflu

So many good memories with LP2 with three buddies.

Yes the menus/interfaces were pretty terrible but they somehow just added to the charm of the game after a while.

I find lots of older Capcom games have a quirky awkwardness to them that some people may just shrug off as bad game design but I always saw it as charming.

The gameplay itself was so unique and different, the weightiness and animations felt just right in addition to the amount of weapons/mechs/unlockables... it was a very satisfying experience overall.

I was definitely heartbroken when LP3 was revealed, not even a shell of its original unique charm.

I had always hoped that Capcom would have learned a lot from LP2 and made the perfect series entry with LP3. Expanding the snow pirate clan concept, making it semi open world with a hub/home base system akin to monster hunter.
Going out on quests to take down notorious Akrid creatures and building new weaponry/armour from their body parts (again like monster hunter). Combine that with co-op, grapple hooking and swinging about, and it could be an amazing experience.

But instead the franchise seemed to just take a colossal step back into mediocrity... Gone was all the absurdity, humour and fun found in LP2...

Let us remember the good times of LP1/2 (and for heavens sake localize EX Troopers Capcom!!)

lost-planet-2-railcannon-o.gif

Goodnight sweet prince :'{

I'll always hold out hope that LP4 will return to Capcom Japan. Until then, you can still see me playing LPC online. I'll keep doing it until the GFWL shutdown. After that, I don't know; I may get a 360 and pay the Live tax just to keep playing it.

Even with the netcode issues, it's the finest TPS of the generation. I'd rather play the game with the more complex mechanics that still has serviceable netcode. You can't be casual and play LP. Consider a simple rule, like having to wait until your opponent gets up after scoring a knockdown, to understand why. You can still capitalize on the moment, but the game forces you to learn the timings. This single rule, not to mention many others, creates a TPS where each encounter is only about a hundred times more interesting than your choice FPS or the most widely accepted TPS, Gears of War. I shit you not, LP deserved the e-sports treatment if only the matchmaking and netcode were better. I would be completely satisfied if Capcom focused solely on the competitive multiplayer with LP4.

Liamario

Banned
They had one good game and then poop. The series has no future and I would rather they spend more time focusing their time on less games in order to improve them than flogging a dead horse.

I'll always hold out hope that LP4 will return to Capcom Japan. Until then, you can still see me playing LPC online. I'll keep doing it until the GFWL shutdown. After that, I don't know; I may get a 360 and pay the Live tax just to keep playing it.

Even with the netcode issues, it's the finest TPS of the generation. I'd rather play the game with the more complex mechanics that still has serviceable netcode. You can't be casual and play LP. Consider a simple rule, like having to wait until your opponent gets up after scoring a knockdown, to understand why. You can still capitalize on the moment, but the game forces you to learn the timings. This single rule, not to mention many others, creates a TPS where each encounter is only about a hundred times more interesting than your choice FPS or the most widely accepted TPS, Gears of War. I shit you not, LP deserved the e-sports treatment if only the matchmaking and netcode were better. I would be completely satisfied if Capcom focused solely on the competitive multiplayer with LP4.

So many good memories with LP2 with three buddies.

Yes the menus/interfaces were pretty terrible but they somehow just added to the charm of the game after a while.

I find lots of older Capcom games have a quirky awkwardness to them that some people may just shrug off as bad game design but I always saw it as charming.

The gameplay itself was so unique and different, the weightiness and animations felt just right in addition to the amount of weapons/mechs/unlockables... it was a very satisfying experience overall.

I was definitely heartbroken when LP3 was revealed, not even a shell of its original unique charm.

I had always hoped that Capcom would have learned a lot from LP2 and made the perfect series entry with LP3. Expanding the snow pirate clan concept, making it semi open world with a hub/home base system akin to monster hunter.
Going out on quests to take down notorious Akrid creatures and building new weaponry/armour from their body parts (again like monster hunter). Combine that with co-op, grapple hooking and swinging about, and it could be an amazing experience.

But instead the franchise seemed to just take a colossal step back into mediocrity... Gone was all the absurdity, humour and fun found in LP2...

Let us remember the good times of LP1/2 (and for heavens sake localize EX Troopers Capcom!!)

lost-planet-2-railcannon-o.gif

Goodnight sweet prince :'{
I love you guys. Lost Planet deserves better.
both lp1 and 2 are great. wish people were on to play the vs mode in lp2...or any multiplayer mode really

Next year I'm going back to school and I'd love to host some matches weekly when I get the free time on XBL, along with some DEATHBALL (Anarchy). For right now, I don't even have a dedicated connection for XBL.

Riposte

I think they didn't know what to do with LP after the second one. Even though it was great, it wasn't received very well. They made a gamble on a semi-value IP they probably didn't see having a future as it was... sad, but nothing lives forever. A classical LP like one or two would be quite bizarre at this point I think. I'd sooner expect (and welcome) a game that just plays like it under a different name and set of aesthetics.

As of right now though, LP1 and, especially, LP2 are very underrated I think.

EDIT: I didn't really like deathball in Anarchy... 3-way capture the flag is dope though.

RedSwirl

LP1 was an interesting fusion of western and Japanese action game mechanics -- probably the closest we'll ever get to having Mega Man Legends 3 in terms of the control interface. After that I don't think Capcom knew what to do with the IP. The second one looked like it tried to capitalize on the success of Monster Hunter, and for the third one they thought a western developer could make the franchise successful. I'm not sure Lost Planet has a place in Capcom's future right now. I don't know if anything except Monster Hunter 4 does to be honest.

For a long while I thought about importing EX Troopers. The demo I played of it was amazing. Too bad Capcom shit the bed going after dudebro westerners.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
For a long while I thought about importing EX Troopers. The demo I played of it was amazing. Too bad Capcom shit the bed going after dudebro westerners.

Which is silly in itself as LP3 is as far as you can get from a game that would appeal to dudebros!

Top Bottom