• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Ooh, a few more I forgot to include in that last post:

Jessica 6. She (Nomi Ruiz) worked previously with Hercules & Love Affair, and the album shares quite a bit in common with their sound. Very nu-disco with shades of R&B; her voice is so so so great, like hot, rich syrup. "White Horse" is outstanding and "In the Heat" kinda makes me horny.

Cocknbullkid. Her album was only so-so but man, I love her anyway. Dem curves. "Asthma Attack" is catchy like the clap.

Florrie. Introduction was good, Experiments was meh. I still have a huge amount of respect for her because she's a self-starter and handles a ton of the business end of things in addition to playing instruments, singing, writing, etc etc. You can check out most of her music for free at her site, but the best thing is the Fred Falke remix of "Call 911" which is probably going to be a top 10 song for the decade.

FTH said:
:x im going to bed you penisi, I'll return tomorrow with Jesus J discussion. I expect a section for her in the OP.
I'm sure Koodo is already hard at work on that.

tumblr_lpiwkrgoH01qgheet

coldvein

Banned
Kyon said:

okay, then! in my opinion, blink 182 is a better pop act than any of the women shown in the OP. they had more hits, they had better videos, they wrote all of their own shit, they sang all of their own songs when they played live.

POP.

coldvein said:
can we talk about blink 182 in this thread?
People still enjoy them? I heard they were coming out with a new album or a new tour or something, right?

Edit:
okay, then! in my opinion, blink 182 is a better pop act than any of the women shown in the OP. they had more hits, they had better videos, they wrote all of their own shit, they sang all of their own songs when they played live.
POP.

Oh gurl... no. Just no.

coldvein

Banned
Arsenic Yellow said:
People still enjoy them? I heard they were coming out with a new album or a new tour or something, right?

Edit:

Oh gurl... no. Just no.

new album this month.. i think.

blame space said:
"my life would suck without u" + "I do not hook up" is the best 1+2 punch of any album ever
those are two of my least fave singles #oop

have you heard mr. know it all?

Koodo said:
Moves Like Jagger moves to #1 on the Billboard 100, marking Christina's return to the top of the chart since 2001.

es2tna.jpg

To celebrate this occassion, let's look back at Xtina's illustrious and lengthy list of good songs:

How dare you dirrrrrty was free of flaws
except for all the flaws it contained

coldvein

Banned
the numbers are pretty good, really..

dude ranch - #67
enema of the state - #9
take off your pants + jacket - #1
self titled - #3
mark tom and travis show - #3
greatest hits - #6

i'm not going to drag myself to a britney spears wiki page to compare.. but fuck, those are crazy good numbers for a band classified as "pop-punk" in america. these kids were wrecking faces on TRL!

Sai-kun

Banned
Cosmic Bus said:
Florrie. Introduction was good, Experiments was meh. I still have a huge amount of respect for her because she's a self-starter and handles a ton of the business end of things in addition to playing instruments, singing, writing, etc etc. You can check out most of her music for free at her site, but the best thing is the Fred Falke remix of "Call 911" which is probably going to be a top 10 song for the decade.

Experimenting With Rugs is one of my top 20 songs of all time.

Sai-kun

Banned
coldvein said:

POP.

I'm not hatin' on Blink or anything, but seriously, these are the worst reasons to claim they're better than people in the OP :lol

coldvein

Banned
Sai-kun said:
I'm not hatin' on Blink or anything, but seriously, these are the worst reasons to claim they're better than people in the OP :lol

would you accept ANY reasons for me feeling that blink is better than the artists in the OP, gurl? guuuurl? what would be more legit?

Sai-kun

Banned
coldvein said:
would you accept ANY reasons for me feeling that blink is better than the artists in the OP, gurl? guuuurl? what would be more legit?

Well you could say you like their music more than anything in the OP. That's legit. :p Like I said, no hate from me for Blink. I grew up on that stuff through elementary school.

coldvein

Banned
Sai-kun said:
Well you could say you like their music more than anything in the OP. That's legit. :p Like I said, no hate from me for Blink. I grew up on that stuff through elementary school.

i thought that was obvious. things listed above are reasons that i have special respect for them - they were undeniably pop - but they wrote their own shit and performed it, and continue to do so. britney lip syncs over lyrics she recorded in a studio. at that point it's not even music to me anymore. not even pop.

Koodo

Banned
That Katy B's "Witches Brew" is interesting. The production isn't groundbreaking, but it's got a thumping beat and her vocals are great and blend in nicely.

My new discovery fave so far is still "The Last Dance" (yes, I've had it on repeat). I just can't with anthems.

Also! I'm considering adding Cosmic's " Jhene Aiko" suggestion and that iamamiwhoiam individual to the Up and Coming section. YES, NO, MAYBE, OTHER CANDIDATES?

Someone should write a short blurb about them if possible too (credit will be given ofc!)

coldvein said:
i thought that was obvious. things listed above are reasons that i have special respect for them - they were undeniably pop - but they wrote their own shit and performed it, and continue to do so. britney lip syncs over lyrics she recorded in a studio. at that point it's not even music to me anymore. not even pop.
Yeah, but you said all women on the banner. Gerl, don't make me go quoting the writing and producing credits of someone like Gaga, Bjork or Robyn, because I'd have to list every song twice.

And they sing live too. And actually sound good.
11uyi4o.jpg

Sai-kun said:
Subtle. Just the way I like it.
HLUvq.gif

dear mister i'm too good to call or write my fans,
this'll be the last package i ever send your ass,
it's been six months and still no word, i don't deserve it,
i know you got my last two letters, i wrote the addresses on them perfect

so this is my cassette i'm sendin' you, i hope you hear it
i'm in a car right now, i'm doing 90 on a freeway
hey slim, i drank a fifth of vodka, dare me to drive?
you know the song by phil collins, "in the air of the night"?

about that guy who coulda saved that other guy from drowning but didnt
then phil saw it all, then at the show he found him?
that's kinda how this is, you coulda saved me from drownin
now it's too late, i'm on a thousand downers now, i'm drowsy
and all i wanted was a lousey letter or a call
i hope you know i ripped all a your pictures off the wall
i loved you slim, we coulda been together, think about it
you ruined it now, i hope you can't sleep and you dream about it
and when you dream i hope you can't sleep and you scream about it
i hope your conscience eats at you and you can't breathe without me
you see slim, shut up bitch, i'm trying to talk!

man i really hope this is the source of the phrase

Sai-kun

Banned
coldvein said:

I just wanted to point out how ridiculous your generalization was, considering that Lady Gaga, bjork, Robyn, Florence, Adele, all sing live, all write their own stuff (and some of them produce it as well).

coldvein

Banned
Sai-kun said:
I just wanted to point out how ridiculous your generalization was, considering that Lady Gaga, bjork, Robyn, Florence, Adele, all sing live, all write their own stuff (and some of them produce it as well).

you felt that i singled out britney, which i did. apologize. unfair. bjork? a legend. gaga? .... whatever. adele? young, has some time to prove herself, has potential. robyn? is that vox pop? what has she done? seriously, i don't know.

Koodo

Banned
blame space said:
man i really hope this is the source of the phrase
As much as I'm ashamed to admit to be using a phrase from Stalenimen, that's actually the source.

Actually, imma pull some cognitive dissonance and pretend Dido came up with it.

coldvein said:
you felt that i singled out britney, which i did. apologize. unfair. bjork? a legend. gaga? .... whatever. adele? young, has some time to prove herself, has potential. robyn? is that vox pop? what has she done? seriously, i don't know.
Start with this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhWEI6-_w9E&ob=av2e
Follow it with this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcNo07Xp8aQ&ob=av2e
Then watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6ImxY6hnfA&ob=av2e
...and don't stop. Ever.

QXQIs.gif

coldvein

Banned
another thing, blink's soph. album charted in nineteen ninety seven. i know gaga has a bunch of hype and momentum and a bunch of kids slobbering over her, but her first album came out three years ago.

she doesn't belong in the same sentence as blink 182, yet. nor does adele, or etc. etc. or whoever put out a hot pop album last year. check back in 8 years or so, gurls.

Sai-kun

Banned
coldvein said:
another thing, blink's soph. album charted in nineteen ninety seven. i know gaga has a bunch of hype and momentum and a bunch of kids slobbering over her, but her first album came out three years ago.

she doesn't belong in the same sentence as blink 182, yet. nor does adele, or etc. etc. or whoever put out a hot pop album last year. check back in 8 years or so, gurls.

g4qgC.jpg

i hate this idea that anything that takes a stance against an implied impression is "hating"

i don't know if it's because i'm reaching a point where i just have opinions about things instead of "standing for things" in a greater sense, but it puts a lot of megathreads into perspective.. like my megathread megathread did.

i don't know, good luck with the pop thread. i like the music for the most part.

have fun. bye,

Sai-kun

Banned
blame space said:
i hate this idea that anything that takes a stance against an implied impression is "hating"

i don't know if it's because i'm reaching a point where i just have opinions about things instead of "standing for things" in a greater sense, but it puts a lot of megathreads into perspective.. like my megathread megathread did.

i don't know, good luck with the pop thread. i like the music for the most part.

have fun. bye,

Wait, were you taking my gif seriously?

*sigh* I don't think he was hating, is a hater (he might be, i dunno), or anything stupid like that. i was just too lazy to type up a paragraph or two explaining how just because blink charted like almost 15 years ago doesn't make them any better than the newest pop thing. I agree with you though, just because someone disagrees/doesn't take the same stance as everyone doesn't make them a hater. obviously because GAF is a gaming forum first and foremost, there are console wars and the like, but i think all that shit is stupid. xbots, ninten-whatevers, sony-stans, whatever the fuck they're called, that shit's dumb. you can pick a system and prefer it over the others, but that doesn't mean you have to hate the others, too.

same thing with music. i see people online getting into stupid shit fights because the kind of electronic/edm/techno/whatever you wanna call it isn't the same kind of edm that they like. you can prefer lmfao over deadmau5, or prefer skrillex to above & beyond, but you don't have to hate on everyone else just because you prefer them more. just listen to what you like.

music brings out the stupidity and hatred in a lot of people. folks gotta remember that music is supposed to bring us together. one of the greatest experiences in life (imo) is going to a concert of your favorite/one of your favorite artists/djs/whatever. it's your favorite music, with a couple hundred/thousand people in the same room, that love it just as much as you do!

blame - no clue if this is what you were getting at with your post, but I felt like typing it up anyways. i feel pretty strongly about this, and it pisses me off when people (seriously) say shit like, "Oh you like Lady Gaga?" to me, as if it's some kind of lesser form of music. Yeah bitch, I fucking love Lady Gaga. Instead of criticizing my music, why don't you tell me more about music you like, or just don't fucking talk to me if you're gonna trash my taste in music.

coldvein said:
is that really the origin of the term? if so, another reason for me to love eminem.

edit: space, is that for real for real? really where it came from?
Yes the Eminem song is really the origin, but you can also take it as a sort of portmanteau of 'stalker' + 'fan'.

coldvein

Banned
alright, last post before i go to sleep i promise.

blink 182 isn't important pop music because they charted an album 15 years ago. they're important because they did that and then continued to do it for a ton of years. we can talk all night about why adele's music is better than blink's - we'll never get anywhere with that - all i'm saying is that blink is pop that had a lasting impression and heavy influence. will adele? rihanna? robyn? will those names be known in eight years? will they be putting quality records out in eight years? i doubt it. that doesn't mean they're not good. they just don't have that.. ... thing.

Icicle

Koodo said:
That Katy B's "Witches Brew" is interesting. The production isn't groundbreaking, but it's got a thumping beat and her vocals are great and blend in nicely.

LOVE Katy B! Here's a video of her singing it live. Sogood.gif!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJkT-GkGBlQ

But this post is really about Janet. Here's her latest pop single, which came out December 2009. Since then, she's been busy being a MOVIE STAR and being on a WORLD TOUR. Gotta have respect for this woman, been werkin' it for FOUR decades now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75SCwdiJAJI&hd=1

Fun fact, Janet's got more Top 40 hits than Michael! =D

And to the haters out there:

JusticeBitch.gif

Koodo

Banned
coldvein said:
alright, last post before i go to sleep i promise.

blink 182 isn't important pop music because they charted an album 15 years ago. they're important because they did that and then continued to do it for a ton of years. we can talk all night about why adele's music is better than blink's - we'll never get anywhere with that - all i'm saying is that blink is pop that had a lasting impression and heavy influence. will adele? rihanna? robyn? will those names be known in eight years? will they be putting quality records out in eight years? i doubt it. that doesn't mean they're not good. they just don't have that.. ... thing.
Blink and miss them have been on a discography hiatus since 2003. Considering they gained relevance in 1999 and petered out in 2003, they lack, by your own metric, that thing.

Also, FYI, Robin Miriam Carlsson has been in the industry since 1997, Rihanna since 2005 (six years of relevance, more than Blink), Lady Gaga has outsold Blink's entire discography in three years, etc.

coldvein

Banned
Koodo said:
Blink and miss them have been on a discography hiatus since 2003. Considering they gained relevance in 1999 and petered out in 2003, they lack, by your own metric, that thing.

Also, FYI, Robin Miriam Carlsson has been in the industry since 1997, Rihanna since 2005 (six years of relevance, more than Blink), Lady Gaga has outsold Blink's entire discography in three years, etc.

does not compute. okay, gaga's numbers, i get that. but the rest, i don't get it.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
Cosmic Bus said:
Peru knows the score: Jhene Aiko is deserving of some fame if/when she gets an album officially released. Until then, there's her free Sailing Souls mixtape and the stellar follow-up single "Snapped." Teedra Moses' Luxurious Undergrind mixtape is reeeal nice, too.

The-Dream (one of the best producers around right now) tossed out a pretty good free album today: 1977

I'm a big supporter of Clare Maguire this year. She's not going to be huge (yet) but I definitely dig the way she balances the anthemic and emotional, and she's got an awesomely mature self-assuredness that kind of reminds me of Cher in her heyday: "The Shield and the Sword," "The Last Dance," "Ain't Nobody"

Euro girlies are a dime a dozen, and I still like so many of them: Katy B (one of the current best), Lily McKenzie (only a few songs, but she has potential), Rachel Stevens (if only for "Some Girls," the best Girls Aloud song that never was), Danish singer Medina is decent... Sally Shapiro is one of the better pop/nu-disco acts and the Johan Agebjorn album, Casablanca Nights, she contributed to this year is stellar. Sally Seltmann (who helped write Feist's "1 2 3 4") had one of the nicest little pop heart-warmers last year with "Heart That's Pounding" and she's now doing a trio with Sarah Blasko and Holly Throsby called Seeker Lover Keeper which sounds like puppies and kittens kissing.

And of coooourse, no pop discussion in 2011 is complete without MR. SAXOBEAT, WOOOO.

This wildly inaccurate comment has me actually seething with rage right now.

Quality post. Thanks for the nod to The-Dream. Downloading now...

coldvein said:
does not compute. okay, gaga's numbers, i get that. but the rest, i don't get it.
Robyn had a few major international hits in the late 90's, a critically and commercially successful album in 2005 that spawned several hits, and a string of successful albums over the last few years.

She's not been the hit in America she is in Europe, but she's a legit veteran and a star in her own right -- and she writes most of her own music and always sings live.

And in other news, this is a little-known fact, but MJ is not the king of pop. Prince is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom