• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Award GOTY Nominees

Velius

Banned
Now, my worry is Nintendo is not getting a GOTY. As we all saw how, if given 3 choices and 2 of them are the same choices, the 3rd option will stand out at the top, because no matter how you split it, the bigger side against the 3rd will always lose.

Sad and unsurprisingly, Nintendo is only going to get the GOTY nominee accolades.

Maybe, but does it really matter? I mean, come on. Years from now, when people are compiling Top 100 X lists, you'll see Odyssey and BoTW in there. Probably won't see Horizon. Really not trying to be insulting but Horizon is like Metal Gear Solid 4. We loved it... at first. Time reveals what it really is.

Besides- having games that are so good that they actively thwart your GOTY progress is a good problem to have. Don't know if anyone else has had that.

Nategc20

Banned
PUBG... pfffff... it's there only because they needed an Xbox One game.

Where is NIER??? Or even Nioh...
PUBG shouldn't be in the goty discussion? It's one of the biggest games in years not name GTA/Minecraft/insert esport title. It's simply deserve to be mentioned.

Persona 5, nioh, and nier is fucking laughable. Only forums would vote that shit in. This is Nintendo's win either from Zelda,Mario or hell, both. Would you be upset if both botw and Odyssey win goty? I wouldn't. It's that type of year, an easy year.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I think Zelda should win hands down, but I have eery feeling PUBG will win.

Blam

Ain't that the truth haha

Touche

You seem chill. I'm curious. What're your personal GOTY's?

You're banned but i'll still respond. I'd say Horizon, UC, and PUBG. But without a doubt it'll be PUBG for me. It's changed quite a lot in the industry coming in by storm, and becoming a behemoth.

ohman

Neo Member
I think Super Mario Odyssey is taking the Game of the year Award, and maybe many others.
And I fell in love with Persona 5 art and music, so I hope it wins in those categories.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Lot of people including myself are of the mindset if its a game you can buy and play it's out and can be considered GOTY. Why can't it if its out? It will be in retail stores in december and a game doesn't have to have a retail release to be considered. Games are constantly getting patches to fix it's burgs etc.

The whole "buggy" and "unpolished" excuse doesn't work when a lot of big titles have those problems. If a Telltale game can be considered for a GOTY award PUBG can.

Im with you but there is still a divide.

JaxBriggs

I think Nintendo is going to clean up this year. I can see Mario/Zelda winning most of those categories.

PUBG will surely do quite well too.

Ajszenk

I know people are entitled to their opinions and all, but I have such a hard time believing that most of the people saying Horizon is trash actually played more than 20 minutes of it. That game is such a joy to play.

Looks like a really solid list to me. There'll always be games that get left out, that's how it goes. Especially with the amazing year 2017 has been.

Horizon is my winner.

Velius

Banned
I know people are entitled to their opinions and all, but I have such a hard time believing that most of the people saying Horizon is trash actually played more than 20 minutes of it. That game is such a joy to play.

Looks like a really solid list to me. There'll always be games that get left out, that's how it goes. Especially with the amazing year 2017 has been.

Horizon is my winner.

I don't think they do. I think looking back any fair-minded person will agree that HZD is a great game.

We live in a world of knee-jerk reacting and overcompensating. If someone believes that Horizon is better than Zelda, there is a case to be made. Usually what happens is, in an effort to highlight the game of their choice, they'll cut at the perceived competition. And a Zelda fan would probably react to that in an excessive manner too. Saying that "Horizon is the shittiest shit that was ever shat and if you like it that means you like SHIT!" kind of thing.

I imagine things would be a lot less ferocious if the two games were released in different windows.

Zelda for me is clearly a better game. But I thoroughly enjoyed Horizon.

Raimond

Should be a Zelda sweep I'm pretty sure. Only game that has stuck with me the longest. Though all the nominees are awesome.

Stiler

Seems like they forgot all about The Last Guardian :(, everyone was asking why it wasn't nominated last year and it was because it came out after hte cut off date and by the time this year rolled around seems they completely forgot about it.

Glad to see Cuphead getting some love and Horizon.

I would have liked to have seen Divinity: OS2 in the running for GOTY though.

cuate

Banned
I don't think they do. I think looking back any fair-minded person will agree that HZD is a great game.

We live in a world of knee-jerk reacting and overcompensating. If someone believes that Horizon is better than Zelda, there is a case to be made. Usually what happens is, in an effort to highlight the game of their choice, they'll cut at the perceived competition. And a Zelda fan would probably react to that in an excessive manner too. Saying that "Horizon is the shittiest shit that was ever shat and if you like it that means you like SHIT!" kind of thing.

I imagine things would be a lot less ferocious if the two games were released in different windows.

Zelda for me is clearly a better game. But I thoroughly enjoyed Horizon.

I think it's utterly mediocre. That opinion has fuck all to do with fanboy wars. I just hate cinematic pap with run of the mill core mechanics. Which compose the majority of sony games.

SirNinja

Nothing for Last Guardian, just one nomination for Divinity OS2, Nioh, and Prey, a game still in active development in the running for GotY...yikes. (Not that TGAs were ever going to be the gold standard for this sort of thing. I wager most people just watch it for the handful of trailers/reveals.)

Product placement sucks for awards shows. I'm sorry, but it just does. Imagine if the Oscars had a "Best Supporting Actor Sponsored by GEICO" award. Maybe it'd be slightly tolerable if they did it with subtlety, but nope - I have a feeling we're going to see another Schick razorblade mascot dancing down the aisles again.

Vallen

Neo Member
I'm voting for Persona 5, but can smell Nintendo winning it just because. I think the harder choice is choosing between Nier's and P5's soundtrack :I

Blam

I'm voting for Persona 5, but can smell Nintendo winning it just because. I think the harder choice is choosing between Nier's and P5's soundtrack :I

I wanna say they have it in the bag but I honestly don't think they do.

Aintitcool

Banned
Wow horizon haters need to go back and play the game without skipping cutscenes and raising the difficulty level. Game is great if you dont do many side quests and see its ugly side.

PUBG on the other hand looks like it was developed by amateurs and has way too many people recording and streaming its gameplay causing huge sales that just grow and grow.

The only reason they want to leave early access is to ride the hype wave and get GOTY.

They do not deserve it at all though. Counter Strike never won or was nominated for this award. And it did the same things on a smaller scale.

The games missing on this list is PREY because it sold like ass and needs the recognition. I loved it until the ending. While playing pubg I hate the damn game now and they have to redeem themselves. Thats not goty material. A goty game should be near perfect. Everyone who plays it should enjoy it and keep it in their collection.

Another game I played and loved this year is Uncharted the Lost Legacy. Like are they really saying PUBG is a better developer than naughty dog?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Horizon was my favorite and I've played all of those except Mario.

Horizon was just special, great gameplay, but I also really loved the story and Ashly Burch was great. Beautiful game too.

An underrated game I'd nominate would be RE7. I loved it. Definitely in my top 5.

RootCause

Horizon was my favorite and I've played all of those except Mario.

Horizon was just special, great gameplay, but I also really loved the story and Ashly Burch was great. Beautiful game too.

An underrated game I'd nominate would be RE7. I loved it. Definitely in my top 5.
I'd put RE7 over Persona, but that's just me. Man I really feel like playing it again.

Horizon deserves this...

They took a risk, went from a more linear First Person shooter to an open world Robotic Dinosaur third person game and they KILLED it. And this was their FIRST attempt... plus they created one of the most compelling stories in games (for me).

If Mario wins it, I'm quitting the game industry :p
and I love Mario Odyssey

Also -- anyone have any insight into those mobile games? Seem interesting...

Dunki

Games that are in Early Access shouldn’t be nominated for anything.

Why? Games evolve all the time. And PUBG if you like it or not has influenced this industry for the whole year and it will over the next. It broke record after record.

Sad to see Automata not getting nominated for GOTY, it's such an incredible achievement. And I'm not sure how the voting works on The Pope Award, but maybe Zelda and Mario could split the votes and lead to Horizon winning? Persona 5 is too niche and god bless PUBG but I don't see it.

OuterLimits

I think Persona 5 is decent, but way too damn long. Cool to see it get recognized though.

Have to give Nintendo props for two amazing games in the year.(actually Splatoon 2 is pretty damn good also)

Razzorn34

Why? Games evolve all the time. And PUBG if you like it or not has influenced this industry for the whole year and it will over the next. It broke record after record.

Because the game hasn't officially released. So, it would basically be giving awards to a paid beta test. There has to be a line somewhere on what can be up for awards and what can't.

breadtruck

PUBG? I thought the game was still in development? Or did it finally leave early access and no one said anything?

Not yet. But dont worry, it will go "v1" and still be the buggy, janked-up, cheat-infested mess it has always been.

I dont feel PUBG belongs in GOTY discussions. Selling well doesnt mean its the best of the bunch.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Can't believe persona 5 over nier automata.

I personally love, love, LOVE Nier Automata and to me it deserves to win GOTY but in honestly this game just doesn't have mass appeal to win in official game awards.

SMX_Original

Neo Member
Out of the five I've only played Horizon and I don't think it's GOTY material. Based on what I've seen I'd probably pick Zelda or Mario.

Top Bottom