• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards 2019 | Whine Inside, Don't Flood The Forum

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Not in Douglas' World :messenger_tears_of_joy:. The game deserved, even though I didn't like it as much as Bloodborne, it is a marvelous game.
I actually like both Sekiro and Bloodborne equally but I like those two games more than Dark Souls and Demon’s Souls.

DavidGzz

Had it running on the side while playing something.
Overall it was ok but seems to have learned and improved nothing compared to last year. Still too long, still too many awards that they clearly don't care about and are straight up shown as less important (all the ones given out in a bulk or during the pre show) and still too many non gaming shit.

It's funny to have one of the presenters talk about how gaming is bigger than movies and music and yet only a games award show needs to fill up with movie and music stars. You don't have Hideo Kojima handing out the Oscar for best movie or Regie handing out the grammys. But the Game of the year award is presented by Vin Diesel.

They couldn't get Master Chief or Lara Croft in the flesh. It's not like the devs are starring in their games...

That is like expecting the masses to recognize or be excited to see movie producers presenting awards.

It's great to see Sekiro win. If anyone doubted that Miyazaki>>Kojima, now you know better.

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
They couldn't get Master Chief or Lara Croft in the flesh. It's not like the devs are starring in their games...

That is like expecting the masses to recognize or be excited to see movie producers presenting awards.

It's great to see Sekiro win. If anyone doubted that Miyazaki>>Kojima, now you know better.

Sekiro winning has nothing to do with "Miyazaki>>Kojima". Tga is a popularity contest, that's all it is.

The show has and always will be a joke. Its Its only worth watching for reveals imo.

Sudaca

Neo Member
I'd like to see the data on how many people beat Sekiro, just to see. Actually, I'd love to see a graph of when people stopped/dropped off.

Not saying it's bad, I just think it's audience is limited compared to even Dark Souls.

I know plenty of people that will not play Dark Souls, Sekiro is definitely another level: Ninja Gaiden Black/DMC 3.

I would have agreed with you months ago but ... I don`t know on which platform you play but on PS the percentage for the platinum trophy is pretty high, higher than any souls games and certainly higher than any Ninja Gaiden on PS, so I`m assuming that a lot of people took their sweet time with the game. So apparently is not that hard OR From Software finally achieved what other companies haven`t in all these years, achieved a balance between good and addictive gameplay without having to sacrifice the difficulty.

Fbh

I think gaming still has enough recognizable faces and icons that they don't need to bring in Vin Diesel to hand out the biggest award.
Bring in known game directors/producers or people with a general history in gaming (like Reggie), voice actors, players, winners from previous years or if it absolutely needs to be celebs then at least bring someone with a bit more history in gaming like Mark Hamil or something.
As much as I don't care for youtubers or streamers I'd rather have one of those handing out a big award than someone completely unrelated to gaming.

DavidGzz

I think gaming still has enough recognizable faces and icons that they don't need to bring in Vin Diesel to hand out the biggest award.
Bring in known game directors/producers or people with a general history in gaming (like Reggie), voice actors, players, winners from previous years or if it absolutely needs to be celebs then at least bring someone with a bit more history in gaming like Mark Hamil or something.
As much as I don't care for youtubers or streamers I'd rather have one of those handing out a big award than someone completely unrelated to gaming.

Dude, I'm totally with you there. I was talking about video game devs or even presidents of companies handing out awards at the Grammys. I couldn't care less if actors announced anything game related.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Dude, I'm totally with you there. I was talking about video game devs or even presidents of companies handing out awards at the Grammys. I couldn't care less if actors announced anything game related.
devs dont have the time, and they tend to be not the most sociable people anyways. hence why you hire actors.

CEOs probably think it's beneath them, would rather stay anonymous, out of the light of gamers. like the CEO of EA is not going to show up to present awards, dude is comfortable raking in the money behind the scenes.

IMO more celebrities should join in, more people openly celebrating gaming. there's this myth that gamers are all toxic weirdos, what better what to normalize them then show that, yeah, everyone loves games.

bobone

Sekiro winning has nothing to do with "Miyazaki>>Kojima". Tga is a popularity contest, that's all it is.

The show has and always will be a joke. Its Its only worth watching for reveals imo.

Thats true of all "awards" shows. Critically acclaimed products rarely are the favorites of the general public.

I'm still not convinced that people in videogame media even play videogames.

Top Bottom