• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards 2020 | Let's vote !

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

THE GAME AWARDS is proud to announce the games nominated for this year's awards. Winners will be revealed live on Thursday, Dec 10.

unknown.png

GAME OF THE YEAR
Recognizing a game that delivers the absolute best experience across all creative and technical fields.
unknown.png

BEST GAME DIRECTION
Awarded for outstanding creative vision and innovation in game direction and design.
unknown.png

BEST NARRATIVE
For outstanding storytelling and narrative development in a game.
unknown.png

BEST ART DIRECTION
For outstanding creative and/or technical achievement in artistic design and animation.
unknown.png

BEST SCORE AND MUSIC
For outstanding music, inclusive of score, original song and /or licensed soundtrack.
unknown.png

BEST AUDIO DESIGN
Recognizing the best in-game audio and sound design.
unknown.png

BEST PERFORMANCE
Awarded to an individual for voice-over acting, motion and/or performance capture.
unknown.png

GAMES FOR IMPACT
For a thought-provoking game with a pro-social meaning or message.
unknown.png

BEST ONGOING
Awarded for a game to outstanding development of ongoing content that evolve the player experience over time.
unknown.png

BEST INDIE
For outstanding creative and technical achievement in a game made outside the traditional publisher system.
unknown.png

BEST MOBILE GAME
For the best game playable on mobile.
unknown.png

BEST COMMUNITY SUPPORT
Recognizing a game for outstanding community support, transparency and responsiveness, inclusive of social media activity and game updates/patches.
unknown.png

BEST VR/AR
For the est game experience playable in virtual or augmented reality, irrespective of platform.
unknown.png

INNOVATION IN ACCESSIBILITY
Recognizing software and/or hardware that is pushing the medium forward by adding features, technology and content to help games be played and enjoyed by an even wider audience.
unknown.png

BEST ACTION
For the best action genre focused primarily in combat.
unknown.png

BEST ACTION/ADVENTURE
For the best action/adventure game, combining combat with traversal and puzzle solving.
unknown.png

BEST ROLE PLAYING
For the best game designed with rich player character customization and progression, including MMO.
unknown.png

BEST FIGHTING
For the best game designed primarily around head-to-head combat.
unknown.png

BEST FAMILY
For the best game appropriate for the family play, irrespective of genre or platform.
unknown.png

BEST SIM/STRATEGY
Best game focused on real time or turn based simulation or strategy gameplay, irrespective of platform.
unknown.png

BEST SPORTS/RACING
For the best traditional and non-traditional sports and racing game.
unknown.png

BEST MULTIPLAYER
For outstanding online multiplayer gameplay and design, including coop and massively multiplayer experiences, irrespective of game genre or platform.
unknown.png

BEST DEBUT GAME
For the best debut game by a new independent studio.
unknown.png

BEST ESPORTS GAME
For the game that has delivered the best overall experience to players (inclusive of tournaments, community support and content updates), irrespective of game genre or platform.
unknown.png

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Nice to see Hades getting recognition, that game is fantastic.

Edit: I'm a bit sad for Yakuza tho, game is great and should be nominated to GOTY, or at least in music or narrative.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I was about to shit on TLOU2's inevitable best narrative win when I realised there's actually no competition. I liked Tsushima but it was (intentionally) heavily derived from other samurai fiction, and while Hades is stuffed full of really neat interpretations of the mythology, I wouldn't say it's a best narrative winner.

That's... well, it was 2020 I guess.

Also, Ori 2 not being a GOTY contender here is a sin, even if it wasn't gonna win.

Isa

Gold Member
I've voted in this just about every year but this list is the worst by far imho. Direction, art, acting and Story I'd expect to see 13 Sentinels Aegis Rim. Also Yakuza Like a Dragon is perhaps my favorite game of the year, despite my sheer enjoyment of 13 Sentinels, Nioh 2, Trials of Mana and Sakura Wars. But Yakuza and 13 Sentinels would have me struggling to pick one, here they saved me trouble completely. Thanks Dorito Pope. May the Dew be with you.

ShadowNate

Thank God for the Spelunky 2 nomination.

The others I either haven't played, bought but haven't touched or really don't interest me at all.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I've voted in this just about every year but this list is the worst by far imho. Direction, art, acting and Story I'd expect to see 13 Sentinels Aegis Rim. Also Yakuza Like a Dragon is perhaps my favorite game of the year, despite my sheer enjoyment of 13 Sentinels, Nioh 2, Trials of Mana and Sakura Wars. But Yakuza and 13 Sentinels would have me struggling to pick one, here they saved me trouble completely. Thanks Dorito Pope. May the Dew be with you.
You don't like cracker games. This show isn't for you. I'm sorry but they have a bias against Japanese games unless they are normiecore like Zelda or Persona.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Was FFVII remake really that good? The demo didn't do much for me.

This just a god damn popularity contest.
Yep, pretty much. I'm actually surprised of seeing 13 Sentinels and Yakuza here.

Reactions: Isa

Isa

Gold Member
You don't like cracker games. This show isn't for you. I'm sorry but they have a bias against Japanese games unless they are normiecore like Zelda or Persona.
Haha! The thing is I've played most of the games listed. Its true they're catering to a pretty broad casual audience but its still a niche hobby and if they are going to highlight supposed trending gamers and esports then I'd like to see a little love for the games I grew up with that continue to bring joy and surprise me even to this day. The only game I haven't played in those lists is Half Life Alyx, though I respect what it does and how so many people love it.

It just sucks seeing quality games getting snubbed for such a small list, when I was far more moved by say, story and acting in those other titles I mentioned. Yakuza's gotten me teary-eyed more than a few times now. Also this selection is stupid in that it doesn't include titles released in 2020 such as Demon's Souls and Astro's Playroom. Heh you're right, I'm just bitter.

Isa

Gold Member

Yep, pretty much. I'm actually surprised of seeing 13 Sentinels and Yakuza here.
That's a tough one. Some parts of it I really loved, and others really put me off. I didn't enjoy the combat system, and the story is ...different. It got so bad that my girl who was wanting to play FF7 for the first time was very confused and through much of the game was asking me who people were and why she should care about them. Weirdly enough, maybe through masochism, I actually want to see what they do with part 2. FFXVI has my attention and hype more though.

Bartski

Gold Member
Ori 2 should have been GOTY contender.
I agree, it absolutely deserves more spotlight. BTW it looks absolutely bonkers on XsX and might just be the best game available for that system, not sure what MS is doing shelling out billions on Bethesda while letting Moon Studios run loose.

TintoConCasera

That's a tough one. Some parts of it I really loved, and others really put me off. I didn't enjoy the combat system, and the story is ...different. It got so bad that my girl who was wanting to play FF7 for the first time was very confused and through much of the game was asking me who people were and why she should care about them. Weirdly enough, maybe through masochism, I actually want to see what they do with part 2. FFXVI has my attention and hype more though.
Sounds average. I was never a fan of FFVII (Nintendo youth) so maybe the changes they've made don't make me cringe very much. Still, if you say the combat is bad then it's probably not for me, as I got that same impression from the demo.

Isa

Gold Member
Sounds average. I was never a fan of FFVII (Nintendo youth) so maybe the changes they've made don't make me cringe very much. Still, if you say the combat is bad then it's probably not for me, as I got that same impression from the demo.
Yeah maybe you'll find the story enjoyable. It seems I'm in the minority in regards to the combat, plenty proclaimed their love for it, and it has its moments. Its just to similar to Kingdom Hearts and FFXV which don't do it for me. I don't hate 'em, but I wouldn't rush to play them for the battle systems nor do I have a fond memories of the battles. For me they feel super limited compared to what FF used to be.

For me the highly of 7RE was seeing those places and characters from other angles, and of course the OST.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Not worth the bother. The Game Awards is a fun show, but a farce of an award show.

Also, remember that your votes are basically worthless. The popular vote exists only for engagement and as smoke and mirrors to give some semblance of validity to awards selected basically exclusively by a group of pundits that likely aren't good enough to play half of the nominees (I'd be surprised if 10% of the jury can even take off in Microsoft Flight Simulator lol 😂)

As explained in the small print...

Winners are determined by a blended vote between the voting jury (90%) and public fan voting (10%). Fans can vote for their favorite games on TheGameAwards.com and also via social media platforms in select categories. In China fans can vote on the winners via Bilibili. Fan voting closes on Wednesday, December 9 at 6 pm PT.

KàIRóS

I was about to shit on TLOU2's inevitable best narrative win when I realised there's actually no competition.

Yeah, that one totally belongs to 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim, there's no competition what a story, George Kamitani is truly a one of a kind designer he really knows how to emotionally impact players in videogames.

THEAP99

Banned
This was a good year for games.

But to be honest, casual childish trash like Animal Crossing Predators Horizon doesn't deserve to be on here.

Doom Eternal also did nothing for the industry, it came, underperformed and was forgetton about. It's just another dude bro mountain dew game.

Plenty of other games deserved to be nominated besides Animal Crossing & Doom.

Tlou2 got the most nominations all around as it deserved to. I voted for it in all categories except for Action and Adventure (that goes to miles morales).

Hopefully tlou2 wins everything it can, especially the big game of the year award. It deserves it by far.

But I'm gonna make a prediction and say that Hades will win overall goty cus it's indie or whatever the fuck 🔐

TintoConCasera

For me it was. It's the best version of ATB other than FFX-2's. Come at me, haters.

Also Persona 5 Royal for RPG of the year and no, it is NOT REMOTELY CLOSE.
I already voted for Persona 5 on 2017, so this time my vote went to Yakuza. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Doom Eternal also did nothing for the industry, it came, underperformed and was forgetton about. It's just another dude bro mountain dew game.
If by that you mean a fast-paced action game, fully focused on gameplay and with no hand-holding at all... Then my guess is that we need more of those dude bro games.

Fbh

Another year with a Yakuza game, another year of a Yakuza game getting completely ignored in the best narrative and best voice acting categories

VII Remake was a weird game in that I had a lot of fun with it and so far it's still my Goty, but the flaws it has are really obvious and really stand out (like the inconsistent visuals, basic sidequests and extremely linear and restrictive level design).
The game is best exemplified by its own visuals. When everything is as it should it's easily one of the best looking console games I've played.....except you then go to some town and are greeted by ps3 era NPC's and N64 era doors.

But as I said it's still my goty so Far. I personally enjoyed the story, loved the new music, mostly liked the new visuals and absolutely adore the combat system. It's the first FF in like 20 years that didn't make me wish they had just gone with a regular turn based combat system.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Keihart

"The content creator" and the "Best Fighting" nominees are some really stupid shit.

They fucking put SFV but not Tekken 7? are they high?
And what's up with this content creators? Not even 1 of those it's really famous or has some real pull, are they just trying to push a content creator with the award instead of awarding a realized one?

How can i take this fuckers seriously? really.

Fbh

OK..voted without having played most of this stuff:

Goty: FF7 Remake
Game Direction: Alyx because doing a really impressive VR game still sounds harder than something the industry has been doing for much longer
Narrative: 13 Sentinels because Danjin44 Danjin44 says so
Best Art Direction: Tsushima because it looks nice
Best Music: FF7 Remake because it was amazing
Best Audio Design: Alyx because same as game direction
Performance: Ellie because it's the only game I played and if nothing else the voice acting in the game is good
Games for impact: ?
Best Ongoing: Rocket Legue (but it's not there...I voted no Man's Sky)
Best Indie: Hades
Best Mobile game: ?
Community support: No man's sky?
VR: Alyx
Accessibility: TLOU2, haven't played the others but TLOU2 had some cool accessibility options
Action: Doom Eternal
Action Adventure: Star Wars because I only played that and TLOU2 and I liked Star Wars better
Role Playing: Yakuza because Yakuza
Fighting: Granblue because....the visuals are nice?
Family: Crash
Sim: Flight Sim because those visuals and scale
Sports. Tony Hawk
Multiplayer: If Among us from 2018 can be nominated then so can Halo 3. Fuck off
All the Esports Influencer crap:
1433617890-tumblr_n16wsgvd151trzifro1_250.gif

Last edited:

Fake

I cant believe 13 Sentinels Aegis Rim is not nominated for art direction.
tenor.gif

Also the music.

This just a god damn popularity contest.

There is a lot of problems in those choises. I mean, no offense to Doom Eternal, but 2020 have better games to be the GOTY candidate like Half-Life.

So torn between TLoU 2 and FFVIIR.

I know VII is a remake, but goddamn, what a job.

I still think I'll have to give it to TLoU2 though.

Dthomp

GoT was the best everything I played this year, so it would get my vote in every category...you know if our vote mattered at all and the awards weren't given out based on who will show up on this show.

Pretty much a landslide for TLoU2, FFVIIR, CoD (esports and mobile) for me.

I wish there was a way to see all my votes - it shows I only voted 27/30 but I don't want to click through all that again. Site is slow as hell.

Top Bottom