• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards (TGA) 2018 |OT| Now bigger than E3

Nose Master

Obsidian game and Joker in smash were probably the only super hype announcements for me. Fun show to "watch" in the background while playing games though.

RPGCrazied

Right?

Nintendo would be fucking stupid not to put the other Prime games on the switch before 4 comes out. Maybe they will because 4 is still ways off? Who knows, but it will definitely hurt sells if they do not.

Eh, I disagree. Psychonauts 2, Mortal Kombat 11, and the Joker Smash Reveal all took the cake for me. Super excited for the Obisidan title, but it isn't something that completely shocked me.

I was never into Psychonauts, friend was but not me. Mortal Kombat woulda been good but that music ruined it for me. Smash, eh, I don't have a Switch yet. And even then I'd get Octopath first, not Smash.

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
Right it's 5am here in Ireland ladies and gentlemen goodnight its been a pleasure.

Hand me my alcohol Boi

I really appreciate the effort and the everything that The Pope has to do in order to make something this large happen, but seriously tonight absolutely fucking sucked. Please make it shorter next year based Geoff.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Right?

Nintendo would be fucking stupid not to put the other Prime games on the switch before 4 comes out. Maybe they will because 4 is still ways off? Who knows, but it will definitely hurt sells if they do not.
Or, Prime 4 is so fundamentally different yet flabbergastingly awesome that they think putting the Trilogy on there would LOWER its sales with how clunky and outdated they feel compared to it! Lol :p

Last edited:

Fbh

The surprise of GOW winning almost made it worth staying awake for this.

Other than that pretty meh. It was WAAAAY too long and the only announcement that really got me excited was that Obsidian game.
Also not really their fault but people online kept hyping up a possible Metroid trailer but of course we just got more Smash

Wait the sony guy was there and no Last of Us 2 or sony announcement??

Yeah it was weird. He was the only one who didn't go on stage alone. Sony really have nothing else to show until Ps5 :S

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Gentlemen it has been an honor

I wouldn't mind the line-up as much if I didn't have to stay up 'till 6AM just to watch all of it.

I was in mostly for Nintendo and they kinda blew it. Yeah, Joker is actually a really cool pick and all, but that's the only thing they have to show? This entire year has been nothing but anticipating Smash and now all they have for next year is DLC for Smash? Wouldn't have hurt to announce something else. I guess they had the Marvel game too, which was a pretty big announcement, but I meant more first party.

Arkage

Banned
Gotta say, show was a let down. Very few notable games in my book. Oh well, E3 is coming. And there's always next year for TGA

I only realized the awards were happening 15 minutes ago. Quick checked here and reset to find next to no headlines that I found worthwhile. No Death Stranding, no FF7, no Metroid, yawn.

Lilseb93

I was hoping to maybe see a Death Stranding release date or something. More than anything, I'm disappointed that we didn't get anything about Metroid unless I missed it.

Out of those games God of War was the best IMO (not considering RDR2 which I haven't played yet).

But my actual GOTY is Kingdom Come: Deliverance. It's a shame that it wasn't even mentioned in the show.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Reading some of the replies here it seems some people expected an awards show to be an E3 or a Tokyo Games Show or something with every developer showing their cards for the whole next year if not the whole generation roadmap? This thing is a commercial for already-out stuff and a few trailers here and there sprinkled in, most of them for already announced games, to make more watch the commercials.

Last edited:
I dont see how people can complain about this. They gave a decent amount of floor and show time to small games, the devs, etc and let some of them do little speeches. This isn't E3, its an awards show. Although there was a bunch of big reveals (that were ruined by leaks).

Given that, it was surprisingly well produced and low in cringe for a high profile videogame event. Surprising number of well spoken people on camera. This would have played nicely on a network station next to other awards shows versus the embarrassing shit that was the Spike awards a few years ago.

Serianox

The show overall was good even if it went a bit too long and some of the musical stuff didn't work as well for me. The Outer Worlds is by far my highlight for the event also really interested in seeing more of Mortal Kombat 11. Oh yeah i'm always hyped to see Teal'c.

Last edited:

Fbh

I dont see how people can complain about this. They gave a decent amount of floor and show time to small games, the devs, etc and let some of them do little speeches. This isn't E3, its an awards show. Although there was a bunch of big reveals (that were ruined by leaks).

Given that, it was surprisingly well produced and low in cringe for a high profile videogame event. Surprising number of well spoken people on camera. This would have played nicely on a network station next to other awards shows versus the embarrassing shit that was the Spike awards a few years ago.

It was just too long.
IMO they need to cut the number of awards and cut the number of trailers. All those awards that are given out during the pre show and all the awards where it's just Geoff announcing like 5 in a row need to go. Same with the trailers, cut the stuff like Rocket League DLC and Bioware announcing that at some point in the next 100 years they'll make a new Dragon Age.

I realise this things needs to be paid for but having people constantly coming on stage to do their marketing pitch isn't helping either. The only other awards show I've seen a few times before is the Oscar and it's pretty bad but at least they don't invite the head of every film studio on stage to sell their company/movies for a few minutes

Serianox

One thing i forgot about is where the hell is Age of Empires 4? Didn't show up at E3 so i thought maybe Gamescom, not there so x018 maybe since it's a Microsoft event. Nope and neither here i hope the game development is trucking along fine and not going through some rough times.

Lol I didn't notice this thread.
Once again rused by Geoff... Next year I'm not staying up again. Screw this. Fucking Rage 2 ended up having the best trailer!
They should drop the pretense. These awards are bullshit. It's Winter E3, nothing more. Show the trailers, get some devs on stage, bring back that Joel guy and cut the fat. Leave the award stuff to BAFTA.

Crash Team Racing was my best moment in this.

God of War GOTY was a pleasant surprise. And how does Nintendo get two nominations for best family game and still lose? 😂

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It was just too long.
IMO they need to cut the number of awards and cut the number of trailers. All those awards that are given out during the pre show and all the awards where it's just Geoff announcing like 5 in a row need to go. Same with the trailers, cut the stuff like Rocket League DLC and Bioware announcing that at some point in the next 100 years they'll make a new Dragon Age.

I realise this things needs to be paid for but having people constantly coming on stage to do their marketing pitch isn't helping either. The only other awards show I've seen a few times before is the Oscar and it's pretty bad but at least they don't invite the head of every film studio on stage to sell their company/movies for a few minutes
Including the pre-show, I think it was 3.5 hours! Way too long. I think this is even longer than Academy Awards. They could shaved off a full hour.

As you said money talks. Good productions values, but looks like Geoff was accepting any bit, promo ad, and pointless trailer for as many nickels and dimes as possible.

They could reduce the 5-6 music bits down to 0 too. Or maybe 1-2 tops.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Well, aside from MK11, new game from Obsidian and a couple of other games, it was a total disappointment. 3 hours wasted and lost forever:messenger_weary:

No Prime 4 and HD Trilogy, no Splinter Cell....:messenger_face_steam:

Starfield

About the Sonicfox furry thing.

I guess most people on resetera actually have no clue that Furries are just a Fandom/way of life and not an actual symbol of lgbt/equality and so on.

There are literally Furries out there who dress up in Nazi fursuits and wear swastika armbands.

Huge props to sonicfox and being this weird guy on stage tho

Caayn

Waking up and reading about the announcements made last night make me glad that I didn't stay awake to view it live. Ah who am I kidding, I wouldn't have watched it even if it was live at a decent normal time where I live. The main event, the awards, is something that I don't care about.

A few good trailers from other games but nothing major. Hoped for something about Metroid but it seems like there wasn't anything about that this year.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Waking up and reading about the announcements made last night make me glad that I didn't stay awake to view it live. Ah who am I kidding, I wouldn't have watched it even if it was live at a decent normal time where I live. The main event, the awards, is something that I don't care about.

A few good trailers from other games but nothing major. Hoped for something about Metroid but it seems like there wasn't anything about that this year.
The closest thing you got about Metroid is Reggie talking to Keighley about Super Smash Bros. and that there are DLC characters available in a Fighters Pass.

KonradLaw

Damn, now that I think about it, this night we got new Far Cry, New Vegas-like (well. a bit ;) ) game from Far Cry 4 director and Borderlands-like game from New Vegas creators :D

Last edited:

Petrae

I’m glad I chose to play video games instead of sitting through this dumpster fire. Looking forward to the Cringe Supercut to catch up on the bullshit.

The “awards” are a joke and the music acts take up way too much fucking time. Just do a “Geoff Keighley Preview Show” featuring a few trailers and maybe some quick interviews with industry players. No need to rent out a hall and waste a fuckton of cash.

Keighley could easily craft a decent 45-minute pre-produced show by cutting all of the extraneous crap, but I think he enjoys the cringe aspect.

Top Bottom