• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards (TGA) 2018 |OT| Now bigger than E3

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Keighley could easily craft a decent 45-minute pre-produced show by cutting all of the extraneous crap, but I think he enjoys the cringe aspect.
If he streamlined the show, he probably could do it.

Problem is it's video games..... creative ego minds at work..... so all these devs also want to get their 15 minutes of fame getting on stage so they can soak up all the gamers out there who now know Game X is being directed by Bob, the music is done by Barry and Brenda, and the story written by Burt and Betty.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Awful show, very long and soo many crappy awards that they don't need to advertise in the show. It's like the oscars show for the technical awards separate from the main show.

Hinedorf

Banned
I thought the show was fantastic. #1 moment was the RDR2 song playing live, that was an Academy Awards moment for this show and all people involved with the production should be proud of what was done tonight.

Happy for the success of both RDR2 and God of War both were well deserved.

Most exciting preview for me was seeing Joker in Smash. Bastards sold me on all the DLC in one shot. (Persona 5 is FIRE)

Pretty solid announcements for what the show is. But I'm really glad I didn't stay to watch it in middle of night from comments here :D

Moses85

🤨🧐 Obsidian was bought by M$.. why they will release The Outer Worlds also for PS4?

Making money because they already lost this gen? Next Gen Obsidian Games are all exclusive for Scarlet?

nowhat

So as someone who didn't watch the show (it started at 3:30 AM my time) and hasn't read through all of the 29 pages thus far - were the release dates for Death Stranding and Ghost of Tsushima announced as was rumoured?

Kadayi

Banned
So as someone who didn't watch the show (it started at 3:30 AM my time) and hasn't read through all of the 29 pages thus far - were the release dates for Death Stranding and Ghost of Tsushima announced as was rumoured?

Deffo no Kojima appearance from what I recall.

danielberg

Neophyte
This show was like a really long, bad E3 presentation.
It was weird the actual award announcements and speeches felt really rushed but the rest kinda dragged on i dont even know what to cut back i guess the music stuff but i kinda liked it,
especially the goty medly that was really good.

That's my point, this could be condensed into 40 minutes and be better for it. A handful of games looked interesting. The rest was filler and epic store shilling.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
I'm glad that they do it. But in truth, the format needs a major rethink. This was definitely too long and frankly, I don't know why they give so much attention to streamers or competitive MP teams. It's supposed to be the game awards show. Spend the time on rewarding developers, not on sidecar activities that are pretty much peripheral to game development itself. I'd rather that there were more technical awards that handing gongs to a bunch of people most gamers are like?

giphy.gif

Mr Hyde

I kinda regret sitting up late last night watching this. The announcements was pretty boring for me. Psychonauts 2 was probably the only one I felt I must have. The rest was just "meh". As most others, I was hyped about a Metroid Prime Trilogy Collection and sneak peak at MP 4, and got disappointed that it was a no show. Some part of me believe Nintendo pulled the announcement of the Trilogy Collection due to leaks or that they save it for a coming direct. I´m confident that the games will come to Switch. It would be stupid not to. I also wanted to see more from Bayonetta 3.

The highlights for me was Shawn Layden, Phil Spencer and Reggie together on the big stage. It reminded me that we are all here because we love video games, which seemed to be the main topic of the show, and it was nice that they dropped the competition and embraced the medium like that. Console wars is bullshit, talking shit about other systems is bullshit, it´s about the games and the passion for our hobby. I hope Sony and Microsoft and Nintendo works more together to enable cross play or other types of solutions to unify the players. It was great to see them.

Other nice moments was Christopher Judge with his "read it boy", the gameplay video of Psychonauts 2 (looked so good), God of War winning Game of the Year, Joker from Persona 5 in Smash (which I hope was some sort of indication that Persona 5 will end up on Switch) and Cory Barlog taking the Game Director award (that man is an incredible director and inspiration).

The bad things was too much Fortnite and PUBG. 2/3 of all games being "survival open world mmo battle royale", the casual awards Geoff just said announced with no fanfare at all, the pre-show, more Smash Bros, nothing exciting from either Sony or Nintendo, overall weak announcements, show dragging on for too long.

It was well produced and minimal cringe but it was also a bit boring and some parts felt really rushed. Next year I wait for a recap in the morning. The Game Awards is way too late for me here in Sweden.

TLZ

Banned
I honestly don't like any of this over produced irrelevant nonsense. Just show me the games, the winners and we're done. Doesn't have to take any more than half an hour.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It was super long. I had to take a break after 2 hours and caught the rest from the OT (thanks for the updates!). I was a bit down about the lack of Japanese games. Monster Hunter World winning the best RPG award was a bit weird. Its cool, but I would probably throw it in some sorta hybrid genre. Their definition of "Action" games was very broad (Call of Duty, Mega Man 11, and etc).

The Outerworlds feels like another take on Fallout, especially since dystopian games are a hit and miss. The trifecta on stage was awesome. MK11 announcement was cool. Red Dead Redemption 2 was winning and God of War wins. I really liked God of War and Red Dead Redemption 2. Both games did well to me and I bought both deluxe editions. I can't complain.

Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey sounded so cool until they showed the game play. The frame boarders, the camera angle were awful and it looked incredibly boring. Making a game about a monkey jumping around? I loved Tokyo Jungle, but this feels like a hit or miss. Are they harboring on 2001 A Space Odyssey's intro? My wife thought it sounded cool until they showed the gameplay. The developer said he was playing it, but it didn't look that entertaining. Isn't there also another 20 minutes of gameplay online too?

Last edited:

Helios

Game of the Year - God of War
Best Independent Game - Celeste
Best Debut Indie Game - The Messenger
Best Art Direction - Return of the Obra Dinn
All is not lost in this industry.
Best Esports Game - Overwatch
I take it back, fire the industry crash engines.

I honestly don't like any of this over produced irrelevant nonsense. Just show me the games, the winners and we're done. Doesn't have to take any more than half an hour.
So you want what a 30 min low budget show dedicated to a industry that were supposed to love? I think your missing the point of what Geoff is trying to do. He's very passionate about this and wants the industry to be taken seriously, that video games are a art form like music & film. He wants it's to hold the same standards as those industries so I'm glad that the production value it top notch. I'm not saying it's perfect by no means it's not but I'm happy Geoff and his team are putting in the effort to try to produce a successful awards show dedicated to video games.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I had more fun interacting with everyone here, especially the jokes, etc.. That was worth the entertainment alone!

Also my favorite part of the event. The show was good for what it was, but it had way too many musical numbers (and I say this as someone who really enjoys video game music and has been to several concerts dedicated to gaming music). The new games announced look pretty cool for the most part, Nintendo had some great troll trailers - which should have included Samus fighting Ridley at first, followed by Mario butting in just like how I totally got trolled on that Animal Crossing trailer.

Overall a solid B+ effort I'd say.

EDMIX

Wow, RDR2 got royally fucked..

Well.....not really. They won lots of awards but I didn't see it getting it. RDR2 and Spiderman are both great games and 2 of my favs this year, but they also play it very safe in terms of over all design. Spiderman's gameplay was fluid and combat was soooooo fun, but the design just had you going from A to B to do some pretty bad side quest, but the main story was still great, but nothing ground breaking.

RDR2 I like more, but only personally based on the setting and just pretending i'm some outlaw lol, but it does LESS things out of the box then even Spiderman and I felt outside the combat things got very samey and basic and how you'd know a open world to be, RDR2 does that even worse.

Its legit the first game in a different engine..... Its a fun game, but MOST of what you do, you can do in the first game and the story's pace is just slow as hell, like how on earth is this a ROCKSTAR game slow, like even as a day 1 buyer, of GTA and Red Dead....this is slow. I get how gamers feel in that respect too, it picks up but only for a bit. The controls are just horrid and Arthur legit feels like he's drunk half the time in terms of the very stiff movement. So I personally like the game in terms of pretending and stuff as I do often in RPGs and other games (lol don't judge me), but I also understand that others might have put the game down based on this issue and I just can't over look it.

God Of War was this high volume action from start to finish. They did things i just NEVER expected, the open world was created with purpose, you don't just go to a mountain to find out you just wasted 15 minutes traveling to nothing, its either a deep well thought out puzzles (give this damn team puzzles in action game of the year too folks lol) with the axe are just sooooo damn fun. From the start of the game, you will wonder (I wonder if they'll have a puzzle that has you freezing the axe then doing something else and then-) yes....yes they do.

Combat.. amazing

Story...amazing

Level design, amazing and not filler or not thrown together and not wasteful

Puzzles are amazing as well.

They aced it big time with God Of War and as much as I like other games this year, most of what I like this year played it safe in terms of concepts. I knew what to expect with Red Dead 2.....its a better looking Red Dead 1 , same with Dragon Quest XI etc, God Of War on the other hand? I thought I had a idea of what it would be, jaw hit the ground on what it actually was.

Alebrije

New Obsidian game and Psychonauts 2 were the best news. Music performance were good just the decil may cry performers were crap. The show is fine but needs more substance and megatons

caffeware

Banned
Award Recap:

Best Action Game: Dead Cells
Best RPG: Monster Hunter World - Some new, related announcement in a few days
Best Student Game: Combat 2018
Best Narrative: Red Dead Redemption 2
Industry Icon Award - Greg Thomas, Visual Concepts
Best Performance - Roger Clark, Red Dead Redemption 2
Best Score/Music: Red Dead Redemption 2
Best Audio Design: Red Dead Redemption 2
Best Art Direction: Return of the Obra Dinn
Best Mobile Game: Florence
Best VR/AR Game: Astro Bot Rescue Mission
Content Creator of the Year: Ninja
Best eSports Player: SonicFox
Best Debut Indie Game: The Messenger
Best Fighting Game: Dragon Ball FighterZ
Best Family Game: Overcooked 2
Best Strategy Game: Into the Breach
Best Independent Game: Celeste
Games for Impact: Celeste
Best Sports/Racing Game: Forza Horizon 4
Best Game Direction: God of War
Best Action Adventure Game: God of War
Best Ongoing Game: Fortnite
Best Multiplayer Game: Fortnite
Game of the Year: God of War

Announcements:

Journey to the Savage Planet - PS4/XB1/PC
The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe on consoles, PC
Among Trees - Steam Early Access 2019
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 - Switch Exclusive - Team Ninja as developer
Rocket League - McLaren 570S Car Pack - Available Tonight
Far Cry New Dawn - Post apocalypse Far Cry - 2/15/19
Hades, new Supergiant games title - Epic games store Earl Access right now
Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey - Patrice Desilet game (Assassin's Creed)
Scavengers
Dead by Daylight - Darkness Among Us
Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled - PS4/XB1/Switch - 6/21/19
The Outer Worlds - Obsidian's new RPG - PS4/XB1/PC - 2019
Dauntless - PS4/XB1/Epic
The Last Campfire - Hello Games short
PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds - Winter map - January on PS4/XB1
Atlas - Pirate MMO - PC/XB1 First
The Dread Wolf Rises
The Pathless - Giant Squid game (Abzu) - PS4/Epic
Survived By - Steam
Stranger Things 3: The Game - Switch/XB1/PC
Mortal Kombat 11 - 4/23/19
Psychonauts 2 - 2019
Fortnite The Block, Creation Mode
Rage 2 - 5/14/19
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Persona 5's Joker as DLC character

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic...o-redux-5-sriv-re-more/page-205#entry14099181

Last edited:

Calibos

Didn't watch the show last night, but woke up today and watched every trailer on Youtube...seems like a pretty healthy dose of gaming goodness to me...not sure why people seem a bit salty her. Other than this being Gaf that is and nothing is ever good enough.

Highlights:

Outer Worlds
Psychonauts 2
Rage 2
Terry Crews

Lowlights:

Far Cry: New Dawn
Fortnite
Stranger Things Game

Winner:

Devil May Cry 5 trailer
Gamers

If we can get announcements and trailers like these every year in December, who cares what the show is like?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
In spite of the shortfalls of the award show, the fact that these pulled awards instead of some of the other nominees is encouraging.

Thanks for posting the list. :messenger_fistbump:

DryvBy

Lots of good announcements (Joker for Smash, Outer World) but that furry dude, lol. Cringe level was maxed out.

Fbh

Award Recap:

Best Student Game: Combat 2018
Best Narrative: Red Dead Redemption 2
Industry Icon Award - Greg Thomas, Visual Concepts
Best Performance - Roger Clark, Red Dead Redemption 2
Best Score/Music: Red Dead Redemption 2
Best Audio Design: Red Dead Redemption 2
Best Art Direction: Return of the Obra Dinn
Best Mobile Game: Florence
Best VR/AR Game: Astro Bot Rescue Mission
Content Creator of the Year: Ninja
Best Debut Indie Game: The Messenger
Best Strategy Game: Into the Breach
Best Independent Game: Celeste
Games for Impact: Celeste
Best Sports/Racing Game: Forza Horizon 4
Best Game Direction: God of War
Best Action Adventure Game: God of War
Best Ongoing Game: Fortnite
Best Multiplayer Game: Fortnite
Game of the Year: God of War

Announcements:

Journey to the Savage Planet - PS4/XB1/PC
The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe on consoles, PC
Among Trees - Steam Early Access 2019
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 - Switch Exclusive - Team Ninja as developer
Rocket League - McLaren 570S Car Pack - Available Tonight
Far Cry New Dawn - Post apocalypse Far Cry - 2/15/19
Hades, new Supergiant games title - Epic games store Earl Access right now
Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey - Patrice Desilet game (Assassin's Creed)
Scavengers
Dead by Daylight - Darkness Among Us
Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled - PS4/XB1/Switch - 6/21/19
The Outer Worlds - Obsidian's new RPG - PS4/XB1/PC - 2019
Dauntless - PS4/XB1/Epic
The Last Campfire - Hello Games short
PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds - Winter map - January on PS4/XB1
Atlas - Pirate MMO - PC/XB1 First
The Dread Wolf Rises
The Pathless - Giant Squid game (Abzu) - PS4/Epic
Survived By - Steam
Stranger Things 3: The Game - Switch/XB1/PC
Mortal Kombat 11 - 4/23/19
Psychonauts 2 - 2019
Fortnite The Block, Creation Mode
Rage 2 - 5/14/19
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Persona 5's Joker as DLC character

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic...o-redux-5-sriv-re-more/page-205#entry14099181

Thanks for the list

Hmmm looking at this, Red Dead didn't dominate that much. In my mind it was like "they are totally winning GOTY because they are taking every other award" which is why GOW came as surprise winner. But looking at this summary it's true that it won 4 awards but it basically comes down to "best Story and audio".

Lots of good announcements (Joker for Smash, Outer World) but that furry dude, lol. Cringe level was maxed out.

It was cringy but to be fair the dude seemed legit happy about and seems to enjoy what he does.
With that said, Esports are a long way from feeling legit if that's the "top athlete"

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
I guess I should point out I watched the show on youtube where I could fast forward through it. Anything Esports/social media was an instant skip but it's fair to say that's not my generation so I can understand why it exists. We as a gaming community are so very spoiled now to even have such shows.

If you skip for the music/trailers/major awards the show like any awards show is pretty decent.

Starfield

You had the creators of AVENGERS for like 5mins on stage and didn't take the chance to premier the newest Avengers teaser trailer live,

Where was Alien: Blackout?

so many missed opportunities

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"

SonicFox isn't a furry, that's just his shtick when he goes to tournaments. And I thought he was endearing! Even as someone who's used to being on stages you could tell he was nervous/thrilled.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
SonicFox isn't a furry, that's just his shtick when he goes to tournaments. And I thought he was endearing! Even as someone who's used to being on stages you could tell he was nervous/thrilled.

He openly states he is a furry, he gives routine shoutouts to the furry community, shares furry fanart, and dresses in a fursuit. It is pretty clear he is a furry, which is perfectly fine. Doesn't mean it wasn't a bit cringy to see someone in a fursuit next to people in nice dress clothes XD

zwiggelbig

I thought the show was fantastic. #1 moment was the RDR2 song playing live, that was an Academy Awards moment for this show and all people involved with the production should be proud of what was done tonight.

Happy for the success of both RDR2 and God of War both were well deserved.

Most exciting preview for me was seeing Joker in Smash. Bastards sold me on all the DLC in one shot. (Persona 5 is FIRE)

I dont really get the hate as well, I loved the show as well. And especially that second red dead song had me in goosbumps! I thought there were lots of great trailers and suprises in the show as well. That mortal kombat moment, persona 5 man it was awesome :D

Last edited:

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
He openly states he is a furry, he gives routine shoutouts to the furry community, shares furry fanart, and dresses in a fursuit. It is pretty clear he is a furry, which is perfectly fine. Doesn't mean it wasn't a bit cringy to see someone in a fursuit next to people in nice dress clothes XD

Ah, I'd only ever heard about his dressing up for tourneys. Thanks for correcting me! I just like SonicFox for being unapologetically different and weird.

Yeah I mean its cool and all that he is doing him, but he was also literally the only divisive, non-inclusive, hateful part of the entire show. Even the three damn console makers came together as one for fucks sake.

Humdinger

The show was too long (I can't sit through more than an hour of these things, 90 min. tops), but the overall number and quality of new announcements was impressive. I added more games to my "watch" list than most E3s deliver.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
What’s up this sonic fox guy saying “ it’s not about me or fame ..... but check this story out were I gave this dude a lot of money for cancer. I’m so great!”

Him being gay , black ,and hating republicans doesn’t bother me, but don’t brag about yourself right after you say “ it’s not about me”

danielberg

Neophyte
What’s up this sonic fox guy saying “ it’s not about me or fame ..... but check this story out were I gave this dude a lot of money for cancer. I’m so great!”

Him being gay , black ,and hating republicans doesn’t bother me, but don’t brag about yourself right after you say “ it’s not about me”

That was basically the most cringey part with the exception of that it was actually nice and not even close to the cringe fest it was last year.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yeah I mean its cool and all that he is doing him, but he was also literally the only divisive, non-inclusive, hateful part of the entire show. Even the three damn console makers came together as one for fucks sake.

Mhm. And seeing his tweets and how he interacts/shows himself in the public eye. I just don't see much in terms of likability at this point. Maybe he is a different person/different face when he streams and when he at public events, but so far it just comes across as a bit of a narcissistic ass.

Sephie

Neo Member
I found this years TGA to be very, very long and quite cringey.

I love Keighley and his enthusiasm and it's truly a great effort to have created such a huge event.
That said, I keep wanting more of last years TGA. That show had alot of funny unexpected moments such as Josef Fares and that guy with the crazy hair. It had such a genuine touch to it.
I mean sure, it hade alot of cringe but in a totally different way. I feel last years show was more of a "feel good"- experience, contra this years TGA with all the fillercontent and bloated interviews.

I'll absolutely tune in next year as well tho, i prefer this show over E3 nowadays.

clem84

Gold Member
Many people were expecting MP4 to be there in some forms. What is this based on? Did Nintendo give any clues that it might appear?

The show was too long (I can't sit through more than an hour of these things, 90 min. tops), but the overall number and quality of new announcements was impressive. I added more games to my "watch" list than most E3s deliver.
I passed out about half way through it. Mostly due to the half bottle of wine I drank. Woke up around 1:20am and checked to see if Metroid made an appearance (either 4 or Prime Trilogy). NOPE, lol.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
So you want what a 30 min low budget show dedicated to a industry that were supposed to love? I think your missing the point of what Geoff is trying to do. He's very passionate about this and wants the industry to be taken seriously, that video games are a art form like music & film. He wants it's to hold the same standards as those industries so I'm glad that the production value it top notch. I'm not saying it's perfect by no means it's not but I'm happy Geoff and his team are putting in the effort to try to produce a successful awards show dedicated to video games.
I don't like and don't care about this direction. I love the gaming industry, but this is going too succumbing to mainstream like that and doesn't feel right. All the music and extra fluff. I don't care. And if you want to ask me, I'd rather they add proper categories, instead of rushing through some of them in 10 seconds and then bore us with fluff nobody asked for.

Why have a million categories for esports, and then have all RPGs thrown under one category, when we have JRPG, WRPG, SRPG, ARPG, etc? Sports and racing lumped under one category too? What's the sense in this? You want more fairness and exposure for games and devs, you do this instead. No one gives a toss about a 100 pee break musicals. That's all very distracting. I don't care about what the masses and media think. I care about the devs being treated fairly and given as much exposure as possible.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't like and don't care about this direction. I love the gaming industry, but this is going too succumbing to mainstream like that and doesn't feel right. All the music and extra fluff. I don't care. And if you want to ask me, I'd rather they add proper categories, instead of rushing through some of them in 10 seconds and then bore us with fluff nobody asked for.

Why have a million categories for esports, and then have all RPGs thrown under one category, when we have JRPG, WRPG, SRPG, ARPG, etc? Sports and racing lumped under one category too? What's the sense in this? You want more fairness and exposure for games and devs, you do this instead. No one gives a toss about a 100 pee break musicals. That's all very distracting. I don't care about what the masses and media think. I care about the devs being treated fairly and given as much exposure as possible.
The show had more music segments than the Grammy's.

I think Keighley shotguns as much content he can for sake of seeing what sticks and money.

The pre-show and main show were 3.5 hours long. The pre-show was just as good as the main show, but some reason gets classified as pre-show filler (Best RPG is pre-show filler?). At 3.5 hours (this thing went from 8:30pm est to midnight), it's longer than the Academy Awards.

Last edited:
Top Bottom