• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The game you are still ashamed of because you failed

The two games that broke me, were Mortal Kombat for the Game Gear and Killer Instinct for the Nintendo 64. I remember getting so angry at these games when I lost. I threw my Game Gear to the ground and ended up breaking it. Unfortunately, it wasn't replaced and I will probably replace my collection with the Mega Sg and the adapter carts to relive my younger gaming days. Thankfully Nintendo has their amazing ruggedness to their products and I didn't break the N64 controller when I couldn't beat the game. Suffice to say that I'm not a huge fighting game fan after these incidents.
yu7V8YG.jpg

dzdLxP7.jpg

I never used to quit games when I was younger. Now, I do it all the time. If I get bored, annoyed or feel something is badly designed, I'm out. Life is too short, and there are so many games out there to play.

I wasn't ashamed, but I was a little bit annoyed that I couldn't beat the final boss of Two Worlds 2. I don't recall why, it might have been some kind of gimmick fight and I wasn't clued into the gimmick.

OrionNebula

I failed Kholat, which is a goddamn walking simulator :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I got lost, and I was already bored with it, so I just let it die in the cold. Few months later I went back, even though I remembered I was lost in a fucking walking simulator, and after another wasted half an hour+ STILL lost, I just left it at that
I found the actual story much more creepy, interesting and weird than the game anyway

I didn't beat The Witcher 3, I finish mostly of the Dark souls games and many others but The Witcher... idk. I was so bad (maybe because I felt that the game is soooo boring)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
top-gun.jpg

The game is tough as shit but the landing segments and the re-fueling segments really pissed me off to the point that I stopped playing it. Turns out it's pretty easy to do, but the game gives you no indication or feedback.

That one is up there with me, along with this one.

pr3VdAX.jpg

Game looked great, varied gameplay segments, but hard a shit.

HEAVENSARMY

Neo Member
I wanna help so many people on these games. Going through Sekiro now, sid many tips on my playthough. Got further than I thought I was going to make it, Still haven't given up on any game yet due to too difficult or can't figure something out. Now I stopped playing games because I had other games to play or to high age rated so I stopped.

That one is up there with me, along with this one.

pr3VdAX.jpg

Game looked great, varied gameplay segments, but hard a shit.
Good lord. Top Gun made me cry and fling controllers around by the cord. This was yesterday. Lol. I've never returned to that damn refueling level nightmare from my childhood. Pretty sure I have PTSD from Top Gun.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I still want to complete The Witness but it's so brain-burny and there's hardly a point in playing if you just look up the solutions. :messenger_dizzy:

StormCell

I'm actually a little ashamed that I gave up on Bloodborne. I was liking the game quite a bit, but then I entered the battle against the Cleric Beast and decided I just wasn't in the mood for games with huge difficulty spikes in boss battles that often require looking up strategies so you avoid having to fight the stupid things a dozen times to finally win.

Justin9mm

For me recently it was Sekiro, I put quite a bit of time into it but after a while I just gave up and dropped it because I don't have enough time for gaming these days and I didn't want to sink so many hours of dying and re-trying into it anymore. At one point it was getting ridiculous. I'm also an impatient person so the whole timing thing with block and parry was always a challenge for me. It is a very good game though, I am ashamed!

JayK47

I've quit so many games, I stopped thinking it was my fault. I used to feel bad about not finishing a game, but not anymore. So many games are released these days and you do not know what you are getting into until you play it. There are still games that do not come with a difficulty choice and sometimes a game is just too difficult or time consuming to get through and not enough payoff. I try to not feel bad switching to easy, but I still do. I like choice in games, and I think all games should have customizable difficulty where you can pick more than just easy, normal and hard. I avoid any game that claims to be anything like the Souls games. Dying over and over is not my idea of fun.

Silent Hill 4: The Room. Only Silent Hill game I haven't beaten (besides the PSP garbage). This is because...well... it's the only video game that legitimately scares me. I don't know why, but it freaks me the hell out. Probably because I've lived in a studio apartment for 8 years.

This is coming from somebody unphased by the Resident Evil series, Outlast, Amnesia, etc.

Couldnt beat end boss KZ2. Tried for maybe 3 days and just couldnt do it. GG, no regrets but one of the few i still feel a little, you just arent good enough. Heard that enough in IRL, dindt want a game saying the same thing.

I still want to complete The Witness but it's so brain-burny and there's hardly a point in playing if you just look up the solutions. :messenger_dizzy:

I recently started to play and while once in a while for a game, ill cave after hrs for a solution but this is such a different feel. Its on another level in design, thought and zen. I walked away, and put the graph paper down for a while. All i know is this is not on a top ten best ever games list that player is no longer valid.

Old Retro

I also remembered my favorite gaming series of all time and the one that got away, Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker. All my gaming experience meant nothing to the final boss. :pie_dfws: This was a few years ago, one day I may dig up my saved file and go at it again.

NeoLed

Brave Fencer Musashi
Spoiler warning

At my first playthrough, (around twelve years old) I stuck at the final boss. I can easily did the mechanics by using all Lumina Elemental Scroll, but I couldn't do any damage to the boss. I gave up and play other games

A year later, I tried again. I make sure that I did everything. Max level, all items. Learning and researching every enemy skill. Nope. I still couldn't do anything to that Wizard.

But this time, my brother watched. He is not a gamer. Maybe some oldschool football game. The non-gamer tell me to use another weapon. I said I did, show it to him by whacking the boss with my blue sword for no damage.

And then the non-gamer ask, if the Fusion have charge attack like Lumina that I use to defend myself.

I felt ashamed that day. I finished the game but I failed.

Last edited:

Ivellios

Definetely Mario Odyssey Darker Side of the Moon, i just dont have the patience to do everything again after dying countless time...

Its a shame because this one of my favorite games so i wanted to fully complete it

Super Meat Boy. Not that I haven't completed it but for the platinum. I got trophies for half of the flawless runs but couldn't finish.

Last edited:
Bloodborne. It has most of the usual qualities of games I enjoy, but I can't seem to learn how to play the game through the gameplay itself. There's always something that throws me off and it's a real shame. I feel like the game is designed with a guide in mind or assumes the player played the previous Soulsborne type of games

_Justinian_

Gold Member
VGOJ8UB.jpg

Conquered all the alien worlds and found the Golden Warship, but the last stage involves flying through very tight spaces at fast speeds with said golden warship and one hit destroys you. Could never beat it.

I quit playing both Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask when I had to use those wooden crates as weights on stone switches. For the entire game you smash them like they're nothing and all of a sudden the game wants you to use them as weights on stone switches. It didn't even occur to me to use to light-ass weightless weak wooden crates as weights on solid stone switches. It didn't compute. I just smashed them for their contents thinking there would be some heavy ass stone blocks to use. So I looked it up online and saw that the crates indeed were the answer. Terrible game design. The only shame I feel about it is that it happened in BOTH games :messenger_tears_of_joy: (albeit some time apart so I forgot about it). But I feel no shame for dropping them when the design just sucks.

Last edited:
I quit Bloodborne once I reached the area with the gatling gun guy. I died to him once and said to myself "Nah, I'm good!" and uninstalled the game. I think by that point I was just tired of farming for echos and the long load times. I remember I switched to playing The Last of Us on grounded difficulty not long after, because I still craved a challenge, and I had an absolute blast with it. It was crazy intense to play through when you only have very few resouces at hand to craft and defend yourself with. I'd recommend it to anyone.

spons

Gold Member
Horizon Zero Dawn pre-whistle/stealth kill. Those abilities should've been standard, I could barely play the game without them.

Nero_PR

Banned
God of War 3 - Chaos difficulty. I got to the fight against Zeus that happens inside Gaia. My save file got corrupted and the backup didn't work either. The worst is this happened after I got unstuck for 3 days in the fight against the Cerberus Breeder when you head back to destroy the Chain of Balance. I lost all my will to play that game at all. It is frustrating as hell because it was the only trophy missing for the Platinum back in the day. I will never touch God of War 3 again. But I put all my hatred in the God of War 2018 and destroyed every challenge in that game.

nkarafo

Cuphead.

I finished almost all Souls games including Bloodborne and Sekiro but Cuphead got the best of me. The main difference with Cuphead is that it's almost like a bullet hell game where you have to avoid a lot of projectiles. I was never good at those games.

The game looks incredible but you don't have any time to appreciate the graphics anyway. So that appeal goes out of the window.

Orpheum

I didn't exactly fail but i stopped at some point.

images

Don't exactly know why i stopped. I'm currently at Demon of Hatred and died a couple of times. Him and the final Boss are the only 2 left.

I guess i just got sick of gaming in general as i just recently started playing a lot more again. And since i'm finished with Skyrim i'll get back to it and try for the other endings as well

ruvikx

Banned
That ending in Killzone 2 was insanely brutal. By comparison Killzone 3 & even Shadow Fall with its difficulty spikes were a cakewalk. My own "me not good enough to get past this sh*t" is COD 4 Modern Warfare back in 2007 on Veteran difficulty. The whole ending to the Pripyat level where I needed to protect MacMillan whilst an onslaught of Russians attacked my position was impossible. No can do.

NeptuneCL

I can recall a few games that I´m ashamed of.

- Final Fantasy IV on Nintendo DS. Oh gosh, the final part of the game is so f*cking difficult that no matter how much time I wasted trying to level up, it seems the enemy was leveling up too at the same time as me.

- Dark Souls II Scholar of the First Sin. Some bosses are really relentless, specially the DLC ones. The Burnt Ivory King is...., wow, so hard. Aava, the King´s Pet is amazingly difficult. I know the game is known for being hard, but some bosses really doesn´t give a chance!

That´s for now.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Maybe Bloodborne, but it was more a conscious decision to drop the game, because I didn't get any joy from playing it, not because I knew I won't be able to progress any further (I didn't even try asking anyone for help).

I definitely gave up on Guacamelee, I felt overwhelmed with having to remember about a lot of stuff during combat and some platforming sections required absolute precision. I also never finished any Housemarque game on higher difficulty levels.

Kupfer

That ending in Killzone 2 was insanely brutal. By comparison Killzone 3 & even Shadow Fall with its difficulty spikes were a cakewalk. My own "me not good enough to get past this sh*t" is COD 4 Modern Warfare back in 2007 on Veteran difficulty. The whole ending to the Pripyat level where I needed to protect MacMillan whilst an onslaught of Russians attacked my position was impossible. No can do.
Oh yes it was a pain in the ass, all that grenadespamming was hard. I found out you can just hide in one of those ticket selling cabins, throwing nades back, shoot enemies closerange, wait for the chopper, pick up MacMillan AND constantly switch looking from left to right while going to the chopper. That way the enemies won't shoot you that much and you can actually do it. But still, had to try it for hours.

koloss85

Neo Member
I'm terrible at every souls game. Couldnt progress in bloodborne after the first werewolf. Shame because I'd like to try sekiro but maybe I'll try on deep sale that way not too much a loss if I do t finish it.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Finished all Souls games including Demon's Souls and Bloodborne. Stuck halfway in NiOh and at the second boss of Sekiro. I literally can't.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Ghosts n Goblins. I’ve gotten to the second last boss area many times but never quite gotten to the last boss with the right weapon then done it again...

I have beaten Super Ghouls n Ghosts with the magic bracelet, though it’s much more forgiving. I’m feeling sick and may call in today, so maybe it’s a good day to spin it up in the Saturn and go for it

Top Bottom