• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The game you are still ashamed of because you failed

I never used to quit games when I was younger. Now, I do it all the time. If I get bored, annoyed or feel something is badly designed, I'm out. Life is too short, and there are so many games out there to play.

I think many of us were that way when we were younger. But there is just so much to play, that playing bad or even mediocre games to their conclusion is mostly self-abuse.

WindomURL

I also got stuck on The Adventure of Batman and Robin in the SNES. Something with a blimp.
Huh, that's really funny that you mention this. I remember renting and really liking this game and getting a huge kick out of the minotaur's maze, but then hitting a brick wall somewhere-- and I think there was a blimp involved. But that's a distant memory. Should load this up on the snes mini and revisit.

Paltheos

Mmm. Valkyrie Profile 2, I guess.
I made it all the way to the end, put in allot of time into the game outside of the main story too, but the final boss just kicked my ass and I couldn't figure out how you were supposed to beat him. Meteor Swarm is a monstrous AOE, and most of the characters doing shit damage is not what you normally expect.
This was... over 10 years ago though. I'd probably grind it out now.

wolywood

Final Fantasy XII. To this date it's the only mainline FF title I've yet to beat. Got stuck in a dungeon with an underpowered party and no way of escape or previous save to fall back on.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Armstrong is such a bastard. I spent like 6 hours trying to beat that bastard. I barely did it.
The problem for me were those sections where you have to break the rocks in half quickly. My god that was pure nightmare.

I don't remember anything besides how much I fucking hated him lol. I had the about a week stuck there if not more till i said "fuck this game" and shipped it back to gamefly.

NAI1210

I
Metal Gear Revengeance

I quit on the final boss after about a week lol.
I too got to the final boss on 360, gave up after awhile, started playing something else meaning to go back to it at some point got it for pc only played a few levels as I had so much to play at that point, my pc is no lo working, I would still triple dip if it comes to ps4/xbox one 😉

NAI1210

Metroid Prime 2,second last boss, gave up when I realised they where was another boss after that fight, been so long I would need to start the game from scratch, it's possibly the only game I regret not Finnishing and bloodborne dlc only had kos to beat, lost about 70 hrs of game time cause my ps4 needed to be taking back to factory settings and I didn't have that playthrough cloud saved 😞

dilbag

battletoads- to this day this game still defeats me, I can not even beat the game with save states

Ghostbuster (NES)-as a kid i would drive around and be super confused as to what the game wanted me to do

JCK75

Honestly - I've always wanted to like Baldurs Gate but I really could not survive far into the game, I've never been big into non action RPG's so it just whooped my butt, I enjoy Divinity Original Sin the same way and I just don't know where to go or what to do and my short attention span kills it.. I'm determined to finish those games some day though.

I beat Star Wars on the SNES (emulator) a few years ago and it wasnt too hard. I remembered it being tougher when I was a kid. This success encouraged me to give the next game in the series a shot (surprisingly called The Empire Strikes Back). I couldnt even get through the first level :(
The first level of TESB consists of Luke moving through a snowy Hoth section and fighting off hordes of local wildlife. The problem was that the enemies respawn infinitely and there is waaaay too much projectile spam on screen to avoid taking damage. I eventually lost my patience and quit.
It was a real pity too, because the game had a great aesthetic and I'd have loved to have seen the later levels.

masterdragoon20

Neo Member
Ok, maybe not a lot of people had problem with this one but i think is the only game i did not finish and watched the ending on youtube that last fight against mundus was to fucking hard.
yiZ964o.jpg

Naked Lunch

Armored Core Verdict Day: Hardcore Mode.
You have to finish the entire game without dying. Mission after mission. Your mech builds and preparations have to be on point. Takes several play sessions. In my case it took about a week.
I made it all the way to the final boss and died.
Im still pissed about that one.

JayK47

Drakengard 3 final boss

fuck you just fuck you

Yeah, that game was great until that point. What a kick in the balls for no good reason. I had to watch a youtube video to see the ending and could not believe what it required to properly beat that game. That was just good old fashioned trolling.

SquillieDee

I JUST beat that game within the past five years, and only after I STUDIED a whole bunch of youtube videos memorizing the movements to beat him.
Thats fantastic man!!! That takes some serious patience, that I clearly don't have, lls!! Congrats man, you beat my childhood nightmare!!

Kupfer

Ok, maybe not a lot of people had problem with this one but i think is the only game i did not finish and watched the ending on youtube that last fight against mundus was to fucking hard.
yiZ964o.jpg
I had to watch the end of God of War 2 on youtube as well.
But not because it was too hard but because I ran into a savegame breaking bug which led to a scriptsequence not getting triggered anymore.
I was so pissed but I actually learned some speedrunner tacticts to glitch through the level and overcome some obstactles but in some point I coundn't progress any further, because you need to be really precise with your inputs and doing this on the Vita was -at least for me- impossible.
I'm still kind of pissed I really never finished the game. Have to replay it sometime.

Bayonetta 1. I just couldn't beat the final boss. I gave up in the end.
RE: Code Veronica. Due to ammo mismanagement I was literally unable to beat the last boss. Still pissea me off.

Artoris

Gold Member
The closest I got was civilization 4 beyond the sword on deity difficulty it took me a decade of on off playing

Kupfer

Oh and I forgot about Vanquish. Played it also back in the PS3 days and didn't manage to beat the final boss(es).
AFAIR you get weaker every time you die and at some point I gave up and never finished it. Still kind of bothers me.
But it was an awesome game so far.
tlT3MoT.jpg

GymWolf

Last time i had to lower the difficulty was for wolfenstein the new colossus, very hard and beyond was too much for me on a controller, i had to play a mix of hard\normal.

Also the challenges to get the gold in horizon and dlc, i had to put on normal\hard, ultra hard is fucking insane.

Oh, since i hate on-rails missions where you have to protect a car or some shit, i had to put on normal some of these missions in saints row 3 and 4.

Oh, and i played mutants year zero on the lower difficulty (still challenging) because it was literally my first time with the genre.

Last edited:

Fahdis

For me it's Killzone 2.

0TOuw0j.jpg

It's 2009, a friend of mine had the game just before release and I got the chance to watch this spectacle on PS3 for a few minutes.
I was immediately blown away. It was the dark and dirty warshooter that I had only known from the TRAILER before and that I had been waiting for.

So a few days later I had the game too and I started playing Killzone 2 on Veteran to get the most out of the game.
It was hard, sometimes very hard, but all in all I got through it quite well and I never had the feeling of being treated unfairly by the game.
Often a handful of tries were enough to get ahead. I can remember being thrilled from start to finish and I was sure I would finish the campaign within a few days.
I was looking forward to telling my friends about my heroic acts of war.

Until this moment:
fzqy61h.jpg

sMtWVlj.gif

The Visari Palace, with its uninterrupted onslaught of rocket launcher-carrying, constantly firing army of Helghast. No rest, no safe haven.
For hours I sat at this fight and the small thought that the game was suddenly becoming unfair turned into a big frustration.
At some point I gave up in indignation, tried no further. Weeks later I still wanted to finish the game, but I couldn't get into the controls and the mood,
my only way out - I lowered the difficulty level.

It was not a satisfying ending for me. Not because of the story, but because I didn't make it.

Still today I must think about it.
I still think to myself today that I simply should have gone through with it.
10 years is a long time. Maybe I have enough distance now to try again...

What is your moment of shame when you failed because of your own expectations and the difficulty of the game?​

Your KZ2 platinum awaits you brother. Visari will be proud once you finish. But only to advance the Helghan cause!

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
Altered Beast.

I loved the game but I don’t know why I didn’t finish it. Now I have no copy and machine to play it on.

Op has mentioned one final boss in Killzone 2. Now try that with Killzone 1. Kill the same the boss while playing 4 different characters using Templar, Lugar, Rico, and Hakha. I liked Lugar so much, I was willing to pick her during all chapters. Each character have their own assigned weapons. I guarantee 99% of players went with Rico at the end. That last chapter was so unfair, like why give us multiple choice characters if you know this guy can destroy everyone in this hallway. It took me a while before I gave up and said Rico takeover.

Last edited:

junguler

Banned
the only thing i'm ashamed of is my words and deeds because quiet had a deep story and it completely justified her being naked, there is totally not a grey fox outfit that covers her from neck to toe and she couldn't breath in that at all even tho she totally could.

BlvckFox

Gold Member
v2n85kl.jpg

😞 I could probably manage to clear this as an adult but the trauma I experienced as a child is too severe, I won’t touch it again.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I usually have a weird OCD about finishing games I play, so there's a surprisingly small amount of games in my list here, but

Final Fantasy XI: Online
I played this in 2008. Elvaan Warrior, Sand'oria. Spent a month floundering trying to find parties to spend all day aggroing rabbits and crabs. Got bored and wanted to explore. Soloed an Orc camp and got smited by an Orcish Chieftain. Immediately quit and never played again. Actually wrote a ballad about the Orc camp storming on acoustic guitar.

Demon's Souls
Spent like seventeen hours in Boleteria 1-1. Eventually beat the Phalanx. Was immediately wrecked by the Flamelurker. Quit.

Death Stranding
Love the world, love the music, love the cast, love the cinematography, love Kojima. Cannot stand delivering packages.

Top Bottom