• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Gamer: There Aren't Enough Reasons To Buy A PlayStation VR2 Right Now

scydrex

yeah Sony having market lead has made them to believe that they're Apple, charging $700 for computer wheels and $1000 for a monitor stand.
You are wrong there. Nintendo is the Apple of gaming. When they released the Switch? Have they lowered the price? The psvr2 is not cheap but all the reviews i have seen or read said it have the technology to justify the price even if some someone think is expensive. It's there with some of the higher-end vr headset.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: K2D

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Yeah. So why the PSVR 1 version, running on GT Sport, allowed for only one AI car and nothing else (and with seriously gimped visuals)?
I'm not sure what caused your confusion. I clearly stated that there would have to be some concessions. Yes, they would have had to gimp visuals and feature sets.

Gt Sports VR implementation was a small side project, where it is stated that GT 7 was developed with VR in mind from the get go. That is what I was riffing on.

Again, I'm not stating I believe they should have invested the time and effort to even attempt a PS4 port, I was just speaking of the plausibility of such a port.

Last edited:

nowhat

Again, I'm not stating I believe they should have invested to time and effort to even attempt a PS4 port, I was just speaking of the plausibility of such a port.
If they weren't able to create a better VR experience on OG PSVR and GT Sport, what makes you believe a GT7 version would be feasible?

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
If they weren't able to create a better VR experience on OG PSVR and GT Sport, what makes you believe a GT7 version would be feasible?
I'm not sure if there is a point continuing the conversation if you can't even read my responses. I addressed this in my last post.

NickFire

My personal opinion is that the article is click bait / intended hot take. But I cannot dismiss any argument that the price is too high for most non-VR enthusiasts in the current economy. I personally find the price too high right now, even though I am dying to play GT7 on it.

murstdurst

Neo Member
It's always funny when people are so egocentric that they think they can decide what others think or wish.

Misteriously I had plenty of reasons to buy PSVR2 now. And still have.
Indeed. And it seems to always happen too.
Of all the platforms i have bought, every single one had people saying "there is no reason to buy this, there are no games...".
But every single platform has brought me massive amounts of entertainment and psvr2 is no different. I have used it more than i probably should have already :p
And honestly, re vilalge in vr was more than enough for me to dip in... It was the best re experience i have had since re2 (og). And with gt7? Forget it, investment worthwhile already. Everything from now, is a cherry on top.

nowhat

The naysayers have much more time to talk about VR than the people who actually gave it a try and own it.
YLEDO9KzZfI2.gif

(for the record, I have a PSVR 2, it's quite good)

I'm not biting till the thing hits $250 and gets into impulse buy territory. I've tried the supposedly incredible VR experiences on multiple headsets and I've walked away from every one of them glad that I didn't spend the money it takes to own a headset.

I even owned an oculus rift when they came out. Sold the thing after a month or so.

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
I bought the PS VR1 after playing the VR World's game where you are in a shark cage dropped into the deep of the ocean. I loved it so much that I bought a PS VR for my brother as well just so he could experience it. Watching the giant shark hunt you and trying to break into your cage was amazing and if they made a follow up to that I would gladly buy PS VR2. Until then I wait. 🤷‍♂️

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I agree. Once vr wow factor wears off, you realise that most games are this smaller arcade titles. And once you get your vr legs, you start noticing pixels, lenses distorting, comfort and so on.
Alyx was the best, life changing vr experience. The one and only. And that was on oldie rift cv1. Lone echo is also close behind

Im not denying the keep trying part but I feel like the hardware potential, software and adoption won't be there till quite sometime. So until then I'll wait, just like the first adopters of the $10,000 Apple Watch 1 or the first Tesla which was a Lotus Elise.

How a $550 device is comparable to a $10,000 one, I will never know. You do you, my friend, but the opinion piece the thread has been built around is nonsensical.

$750 + tax. So about $850 after tax for everyone except people in Alberta. Add in a couple budget games and you're at $900 by the time you actually play something.

And thats not even including the cost of PS5 to begin with.
Yeah it's about 1600 after taxes maybe a little more in Ontario. (PS5+VR2)

That's an insane price and there's a reason they aren't selling out in some places

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
$750 + tax. So about $850 after tax for everyone except people in Alberta. Add in a couple budget games and you're at $900 by the time you actually play something.

And thats not even including the cost of PS5 to begin with.
Thats lot of money spend on something I will not use much since it doesn't have any game I'm personally interested in.

I mean If I had that much money to burn then I rather spend on this....
lPIyJue.png

At least I will have some actual fun building this.

Last edited:

Rac3r

I only needed one reason, it’s fun as hell. Maybe the novelty will wear off at some point, but right now I'm finding it way more exciting than static 2D gaming.

I'm glad companies like Sony and Valve continue to invest in it. Tech is growing exponentially, and while it's not there yet, VR will evolve enough to match the ease-of-use and fidelity of 2D gaming. These early investments should pay off down the road. Games like GT7 are already mind-boggling.

Corndog

Banned
What a load of bullshit.

"Nobody is talking about PlayStation VR2."

Loads of people are.. another bs article, wth is going on?

"Our own Stacey Henley calls out the prohibitive price in her review"

Maybe Stacey should get a new job.

*edit: horsesheit.
So you don’t think 550 is expensive? What price would be too expensive?

Corndog

Banned
You are wrong there. Nintendo is the Apple of gaming. When they released the Switch? Have they lowered the price? The psvr2 is not cheap but all the reviews i have seen or read said it have the technology to justify the price even if some someone think is expensive. It's there with some of the higher-end vr headset.
What happened to the vita?

Lethal01

It would match standard gaming for me if I could use it in games like FInal Fantasy 7 remake/ff16 as just a 3d screen instead of being stuck playing "VR games" of which I've cared for none.

Minsc

Gold Member
It would match standard gaming for me if I could use it in games like FInal Fantasy 7 remake/ff16 as just a 3d screen instead of being stuck playing "VR games" of which I've cared for none.

I imagine this is fairly common in PC VR? I haven't looked too much, but it sounds like almost every popular game gets modded to support VR? I see FF7 Remake has a mod, and no way FF16 doesn't get one either. But they aren't going to be as polished as official releases, still, better than nothing - though you may run in to issues, so I dunno.

I agree a solid AAA RPG (or a dozen if we're being greedy) being ported over to PSVR2 would be amazing.

Resenge

There aren’t enough reasons to buy a next gent console yet, if you had two brain cells you knew this from day 1.
Just let me know when there is enough reasons to upgrade my Snes, I'm excited to try out next gen console goodness but only when there's a good reason!

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
I agree. Once vr wow factor wears off, you realise that most games are this smaller arcade titles. And once you get your vr legs, you start noticing pixels, lenses distorting, comfort and so on.
Alyx was the best, life changing vr experience. The one and only. And that was on oldie rift cv1. Lone echo is also close behind

VR just needs more AAA games. The detail in the castle in RE8 continues to amaze me every time I go back and unlock more areas. The scale is unreal, and it just feels like you're really in this gigantic castle with a hundred rooms and all different wings. And everything is so intricate, all the wood carvings, the gold finishes, there's almost no blurry textures at all, you can walk inches away from objects and they're still in perfect detail. It's a shame it doesn't get them more frequently, but I guess it's still just not accessible enough.

K' Dash

Just let me know when there is enough reasons to upgrade my Snes, I'm excited to try out next gen console goodness but only when there's a good reason!

Are you kidding me? The SNES has the best library of games in existence, not only some of the best games ever made are SNES exclusives, those were the times when devs weren’t afraid of trying new, experimental stuff.

If you want to play the same Ratchet and Clank from the PS3 era and play Demons Souls again or Horizon FW, which they made even more boring than the first, then you’re good.

I actually expected more. Not that I’m not having fun, I expected a lot more from both consoles, not just iterative stuff.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Are you kidding me? The SNES has the best library of games in existence, not only some of the best games ever made are SNES exclusives, those were the times when devs weren’t afraid of trying new, experimental stuff.

If you want to play the same Ratchet and Clank from the PS3 era and play Demons Souls again or Horizon FW, which they made even more boring than the first, then you’re good.

I actually expected more. Not that I’m not having fun, I expected a lot more from both consoles, not just iterative stuff.

What? Ratchet and Clank from the PS3 era is far and away different than the trash we got on PS5. That had heart and, at times, emotional storytelling. It tried new things and wasn't afraid to be silly at times.

Rift Apart is nothing like the PS3 games. It is bland, shallow, and the only thing it has going for it is its graphical fidelity. It lacks any passion or memorable characters/scenes.

Fredrik

There is a honeymoon phase for all new gaming hardware but yeah for VR it’s worse since the big devs are still sitting on the fence waiting for VR to get big before jumping in so even crossgen games are A and indie.
How is it solved? And when? People are waiting for bigger games and devs are waiting for more people. And if the big devs ever jump in with the A-teams their games are years away going by dev time for regular games.
Will AAA devs be properly aboard in 2030?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
There is a honeymoon phase for all new gaming hardware but yeah for VR it’s worse since the big devs are still sitting on the fence waiting for VR to get big before jumping in so even crossgen games are A and indie.
How is it solved? And when? People are waiting for bigger games and devs are waiting for more people. And if the big devs ever jump in with the A-teams their games are years away going by dev time for regular games.
Will AAA devs be properly aboard in 2030?
It's solved by going the RE, GT7 route. Adding full VR functionality to games that already have a AAA budget and that are amenable to VR.

consoul

"Nobody is talking about PlayStation VR2." says the hundredth article on PSVR2 published this week. That article being on a website who knew from Google Trends that PSVR2 is a subject people are actually interested in right now and decided to run this disingenuous angle deliberately to be provocative in an effort to drum up engagement.

Yeah cool.

Resenge

That’s not what I asked.

?

So you don’t think 550 is expensive?

I do not think it's expensive because
In comparison to other headsets? it's on the lower end of the price bracket.

Better?

VR is an expensive hobby, gaming in general can be expensive as fuck, but when you actually compare the headset to the rest of the market and the way the world is right now, no.

I don't think its over the top Nvida graphics card expensive at least.

Last edited:

Resenge

Damn, maybe next gen. Guess I'll go play Super Mario World again.

Three

To the people constantly complaining about the price and not enough reasons to own it. Were there enough reasons to drop $499 on a PS5 or Xbox Series X? Did it have games that weren't available on other devices like PS4/xbox one or PC. Did it matter that mobile is more mainstream?

If a mobile user kept trying to tell you that consoles would never be mainstream. That they can't justify spending $499 on a console as it's too much money and there is not enough reasons to buy a PS5/XSX, that games are just ports of games on other devices. Would that not get kind of annoying every other week?

You don't need to try and convince others how non-mainstream, how expensive or pointless you think the things others are interested in are. Everything is going to be alright. Unless you have an agenda there is no reason to keep doing this.

hemo memo

Gold Member
It's too expensive for mainstream, making it an enthusiast device. And unless it's a relatively quick success, Sony will kill it (Move, VR1, Vita, PSTV).
They came out guns blazing with the Vita too - Killzone, Uncharted - console experience on a handheld - no compromises etc.
If it's still getting big first party support in 3 years, I'll get one.
Sony was dumb. Instead of paying Capcom for Monster Hunter, they went to create their own that failed miserably. And don’t get me started with all the proprietary memory card. It pisses me off because as a device Vita was great.

Fredrik

It's solved by going the RE, GT7 route. Adding full VR functionality to games that already have a AAA budget and that are amenable to VR.
Maybe but they need to be there day 1 to get the same hype and move people over to VR, and there needs to be unique and exclusive AAA VR games as well or people won’t understand why they need VR.

None of us know what the uptake is yet. No reason to lie.
lol The Sony Fanboy is strong in this one.

If numbers were good, Sony would be shouting them from the rooftops. look around, outside of gaming forums and dedicated VR subreddits, nobody is talking about this device. The biggest PS podcasts have barely spoken of it since launch day. There is a reason Sony first tried a lottery system for sales, and backed off within a few weeks, opening up preorders to everyone. My wifes son (HS Student), who also bought one, works at walmart in Edmonton in Electronics/Gaming, and says they get almost no questions about it (In Canada it's been on shelves since Day 1). That's anecdotal, but it's also telling. Nobody on my friends list has bought one so far.

In no world is a 550$ peripheral a consideration for most people.

$550 is eye watering expensive?? Give me a fucking break.
In a world where something like 60% of America can't afford a 1000$ emergency, 550$ is mind numbingly expensive. People budget to buy consoles. Some on this forum seem to live in lala land when it comes to what is and isn't expensive to the general public.

Last edited:

Resenge

In a world where something like 60$ of America can't afford a 1000$ emergency, 550$ is mind numbingly expensive. People budget to buy consoles. Some on this forum seem to live in lala land when it comes to what is and isn't expensive to the general public.
This is how I read your rants.

Top Bottom