• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Gaming news conundrum

Gaming news webistes ?

• I click in all the clickbait articles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I do not care

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • We should go French Revolution on them

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • OP stop being dramatic

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Twitch/Youtube/reddit is/are the better solution

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Sometimes I wish I could not read

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I stay away from that type of media

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Most are trash and cannot be recycled

Votes: 9 30.0%

• Total voters

Zeroing

Banned
So, why do they still exist? What is the point if they add nothing to gaming or their viewers other than clickbait titles, drama and disguised ads?
I just do not understand so many of their editorial choices. Don't we deserve better? We do.

We get more information from console manufacturers blogs/official channels.

The question is, the gaming industry so tight lipped and insist to control everything thus no opportunities for real investigative journalism or the gaming media just does not care? Maybe a bit of both?

What implications does all of this have on us who consume this type of media?
Why is there a huge difference in quality compared to the tech news websites?

If people stop visiting the websites they will get less revenue, therefore more ads in disguise and more clickbait articles, if we visit those websites they have no incentive to improve their quality and invest in interesting articles...
Or is the gaming news morphing and changing into something different, where we have internet personalities shoving their personal opinions as facts or based in reality and there is a big surge of "insiders"?

theHFIC

It’s coverage of a hobby. Film, television, sports, and countless other hobby news industries have the same coverage style and cycles.

Tons of websites covering those topics and they talk about officially what is being given to them from the production studios, front offices, agents, interviews. Then there is a large industry of unofficial gossip and commentary based on rumors, speculation, tweets.

The average neogaffer is more qualified to cover video games than what you get from this websites. If there is a good publication or website out there I don't know about it.

There is also the whole thing about how these sites rely on publishers for access and adds, so they are the least trustworthy source for anything. I love the fake interviews thing they do, where they don't ask a single question a reasonable person would ask.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
I tend to get my gaming news here, twitter or Reddit or YouTube videos (that might pop up on Xbox channel etc)

Hell, I think most of the gaming news site get their news from Reddit/here or era at this point.

Obviously someone must be reading the news articles on these sites as they still exist.

I did vote OP stop being dramatic though, you diva :p

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
They are parasites desperately hanging on to milk an audience before they go bankrupt. They sold out and are just a combo of unofficial marketing for gaming companies and use their platform to push politics.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
because this forum is full of amazing experts.
star trek GIF

Zeroing

Banned
How did they sharpen that blade thingy that chopped off heads?
I vote French Revolution.
I think so, it is time we as a collective say "you need us, not the other way around" if we just stay still we are giving them power to influence us and they gain money because of us... Yeah the French revolution started because of that.

Haggard

Banned
Classic gaming journalism is dead and the part of it that refuses to acknowledge it has sunken to a quality lower than most private youtube content creators to generate clicks however possible.
I kicked the last "real" gaming news site out of my favourites ~5 years ago.

kyussman

It amazes me there are so many gaming channels on Youtube that manage to stay afloat on the same small snippets of info given out by the gaming companies/devs.I guess people enjoy the various peoples personalities.....because in terms of what they are telling their viewers,it's all the same stuff.

jigglet

Banned
There's barely enough money in traditional mainstream journalism, so it doesn't surprise me there's only enough resources in gaming for bloggers and 18 year old content creators.

Top Bottom