• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Gran Turismo movie is coming in August 2023

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Deadline reports that the film, simply titled Gran Turismo, currently has a release date of August 11, 2023.

Neill Blomkamp (Demonic, Chappie, Elysium, District 9) is set to direct the movie, which will be produced by Sony’s Columbia Pictures studio.

The screenplay has been written by Jason Hall, who previously wrote American Sniper and Thank You for Your Service.

According to Sony’s brief plot description: “Based on a true story, the film is the ultimate wish fulfilment tale of a teenage Gran Turismo player whose gaming skills won a series of Nissan competitions to become an actual professional race car driver.”

This suggests the film could be based on the GT Academy contest, which was run by Nissan and Sony between 2008 and 2016 and gave winners a place in Nissan’s Driver Development Programme.

car GIF by Disney Pixar

Last edited:

Three

It's probably a film based on the true story of that guy who became a professional racer after a GT competition.

Oh yeah it is

"Based on a true story, the film is the ultimate wish fulfilment tale of a teenage Gran Turismo player whose gaming skills won a series of Nissan competitions to become an actual professional race car driver.”

Forgot what the guys name was. Lucus?

Last edited:
It's probably a film based on the true story of that guy who became a professional racer after a GT competition.

Oh yeah it is

"Based on a true story, the film is the ultimate wish fulfilment tale of a teenage Gran Turismo player whose gaming skills won a series of Nissan competitions to become an actual professional race car driver.”

I think there were a lot of guys actually, Lucas was the first but there are over 10 at least. Which sounds insane but apparently that GT academy churns out racers.

Srsly who greenlights these films? Doesn't anyone in charge have some form of common sense? I get it you want to expand your brand recognition across different kinds of media, but there are so many alternative ways that are better than producing a third grade boring pseudo film nobody asked for. Hell even a GT anime would've been a better choice.

kyussman

Blomkamp?......good lord,District 9 seems a long time ago now.....thought he was going places after that,now he's making a Gran Turismo film for PlayStation,lol.

Looks like they are fast-tracking this movie, not very encouraging.

I would much rather them bring back the GT Academy show.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
A franchise that never had a story....is getting a movie lol..

GT is a story about a young boy who dreams of becoming a professional racing driver, who after getting his driving license uses his white Civic Type-R in weekly Sunday Cups to rank up his skills, money and respect, so that one day he takes place in 24H Nurburgring race in a fully tuned 800HP R34 Nissan Skyline.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member

Oh yeah it is

There were many. But you mentioned probably Lucas Ordonez. IDK there's already documentary about that (if I remember correctly)

Zeroing

Banned
I was happy to found out that Sony pictures classics still exists… that’s where the good movies/documentaries are made. They made recently a very good documentary!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Blomkamp is a very talented director, I certainly wouldn't write this off.

Especially since the writer of American Sniper, is writing this movie. Now all we need to know is if they are making it for a streaming service or will it hit theaters only first.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
So a video gamer that becomes a racer... okay....

A guy who started in GT Academy came second in the LMP2 class at Le Mans. Several others have competed in real GT series racing - although with mixed results.

The fact though, is that these guys would probably have had the talent and ability to race for real, regardless of their experience with Gran Turismo. A video game can't make you a good driver in the real world, but it can offer those with skill the leverage to get into a real car.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Fast and furious is so great because it’s the racing genre is the weakest in Hollywood that’s the truth you and I know vin diesel isn’t an efficient actor.

Top Bottom