• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Grand Tour |OT| ...of the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiped89

After being pretty disappointed with the Namibia special I was honestly about to give up on TGT (I agree with the poster above - there is No way they slept under their cars. No way at all) and all the other truly rubbish scripted bits like 'shooting Hammond' or 'waking him up with a helicopter' that were just shit. Not to mention all the swearing and all the OTT smut.

But this was better. Much better. Apart from the stupid electric charging bit towards the end it was much improved. James' car review was great and Jeremy's 4x4 sequence was honestly hilarious, because it wasn't scripted to death, they just let it happen naturally.

Aaron

I've slept at a fire outside once without a blanket. I woke up in the middle of the night, the fire was out and I couldn't feel my body anymore from the cold. I've never been so cold in my life.

The three travel with a big camera team in land rovers (I'm sure they have isolation blankets, gas cookers and whatnot for emergencies), I'd never believe they'd sleep in their clothes without blankets or sleeping bags in the sand, sorry. That Hammond would tell BS like that to a newspaper makes it all even more sad.
I'm sorry reality doesn't confirm to your wild assumptions.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I see this week they decided to have yet another anti-environmentalism segment. At least they don't shit on electric cars out of principle anymore?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
This weeks episode was the funniest so far for me. I just wondered that there were like none WWII related jokes whatsoever.

Donos

I have to say that the Mercedes SL "The Excellent" looked really beast with that wheels. If James Bond would move to Texas, this would be his pick.

Good ep. Would be interested in a dry track Honda lap time.

Lima

Very solid episode. Couldn't stop laughing during Jezza's Frankenstein car segment.

That NSX is really beautiful.

Fox318

The episodes have gotten more solid as the show goes on.

They need to change the American. Its just cheap fucking comedy. Why not just have him speak normally about the cars?

Donos

Wasn't the NSX driving on their Test track but without rain in the credits? Maybe the american wasn't there yet.

tr00per

I watched the Jordan episode the other day and I can say without exaggeration it made me laugh the hardest I've ever laughed at a tv show.

It's odd seeing some of the changes they've had to make against the bbc but the soul of the show is there. And I'd rather keep the soul of the Grand Tour than the tradition of the new Top Gear

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Celebrity thing has run it's course, as has the conversation street intro. Other than that I've been really happy with the show.

Celebrity thing has run it's course, as has the conversation street intro. Other than that I've been really happy with the show.

I get that people are annoyed by them, but come on with the week after week complaints about the two...we're talking about like 3 minutes of combined footage. The conversation street intro being like 12 seconds.

nOoblet16

If anything the only thing that's run its course is the American's intro with the communist business and his remarks...Though I did notice they reduced his lines quite a bit now.

I didn't even think a thing about the conversation street intro, it lasts only a few seconds and leads to an actual segment in the show that is fun.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Man, I've never seen a supercar with reviews so left or right than the NSX. It is truly a love-it-or-hate-it ordeal. Chris Harris loves it, as did Jay Leno, Motor Trend (iirc?), and now GT. But sales have been weak and some other press and fan reception has been poor, as well.

I personally went from hating it to liking it quite a bit. I suspect in a few years this will be a bargain supercar.

Having said that, loved this episode.

Edit: Oh, and for some reason I laughed at The American this week.

Man, I've never seen a supercar with reviews so left or right than the NSX. It is truly a love-it-or-hate-it ordeal. Chris Harris loves it, as did Jay Leno, Motor Trend (iirc?), and now GT. But sales have been weak and some other press and fan reception has been poor, as well.

I personally went from hating it to liking it quite a bit. I suspect in a few years this will be a bargain supercar.

Definitely, it seems like it's a very smart car that's still a lot of fun to drive. And at 3,2 seconds, who the hell cares it isn't quite as fast as its competitors?

Edit: Oh, and for some reason I laughed at The American this week.

Yeah, the "what is this Space Invaders shit?" line got me good.

LoveCake

No no, then it would still be "ok, in this one thing I was wrong" but a) I wish they had delivered this danger better and more convincingly and b) there have been still too many other "too scripted / fake" things about the series that one example doesn't turn the ship around for me.

If you don't feel that it's too fake and scripted than that's great for you, hope you keep enjoying it. I didn't come here to shit on your enjoyment of the show. Just wanted to say how I feel about it as a long time Top Gear fan (and Amazon Prime member since the first day it was available in my country).
Also to see how other GAFfers feel about it.

Do you really think hammond would lie about hugging up to Jeremy to keep warm to a newspaper ?

Like whats the gain here seriously

They seems to have settled on a groove over the last few weeks.
Last week's bit on cars for Preppers was great despite having nothing to do with cars. The Namibia dune buggy specials were a good watch as well.

The bit about the old Top Gear theme in this week's Nashville show when they mentioned The Allman Brothers's was funny.

only two more eps this season?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Didn't think I'd enjoy that episode from the trailer, but the episode and coral reef segment (minus Barbados advertising) was pretty good.

HariKari

Camera work on the Alfa segment was probably some of the best they've ever done, TG or GT.

Dubbing of boos on the audience section was cringy bad, I don't know why they feel the need to play to stereotypes so heavily.

I'm really liking this set up - jokey but somewhat serious review of a car.

And then the main segment being something utterly surreal.

Its a good hour of entertaining TV.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That part did bug me, but they're well known Prius haters so I guess it's part of the package.

Rest of the episode was great, tho.
Yeah their hatred of electric vehicles sometimes goes overboard, and rolling coal is definitely one of the stupidest things in the world, but IMO the best new thing The Grand Tour adds (although doesn't do often enough) is taking a look at local car cultures wherever their show takes place that particular week.

I'm not particularly into the drifting/dancing/donuts thing they do in South Africa, but I think it's cool to have that highlighted and really makes the idea of the Grand Tour a lot more fulfilling.

TTOOLL

Epi 10: All the coral reef part was a big waste of time. Not theirs though since the place is beautiful and they sure enjoyed the hell out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom