• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Great GAF Guide to Side Scrolling Adventures

Bashi Bazook, not Banzai Bazook. :)

Edit: And on the note of Bashi Bazook... what about Xexyz? Great game!

It does have a level structure, with shmup parts between the levels, and you do mostly go right, but you also have to backtrack, find stuff, etc... and you have money, items to buy, etc.

Enk

makes good threads.
Alright, the list has been reworked and updated. Since I had to hijack some of my later posts, I've include a Table of Contents to OP. I've also decided to move the Prince of Persia-styled games to a separate post to clean things up a bit. I may do the same with all the old C64 and Spectrum games suggested as well.

A Black Falcon said:
Bashi Bazook, not Banzai Bazook. :)

Edit: And on the note of Bashi Bazook... what about Xexyz? Great game!

It does have a level structure, with shmup parts between the levels, and you do mostly go right, but you also have to backtrack, find stuff, etc... and you have money, items to buy, etc.
Fixed Bashi Bazook as well as the Wonderboys.

Checking out Xexyz at the moment and it looks pretty fun. I've always got it confused with Xevious in the past and never realized what type of game it was.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Very cool thread, Enk.
It reminded me that I always meant to pick up Popful Mail for the Sega CD.
Ouch at the prices. Time to suck it up, however. I think it even works on the PSP now!
Something to look forward to. Maybe.

Wonderboy V aka Wonderboy in Monsterworld (1991 Genesis/Megadrive, Master System, PC Engine)
by Sega and Westone
wc3.jpg

Screens
w1.jpg
w2.jpg

(Metroid-style, Slasher, Fantasy, Platforming)

-Video
-Fifth in the Wonderboy series
-Vibrant spritework
-Fair difficulty
-Varied level design

More info here!
This is one of my most cherished Genesis games of all time. Everything from the graphics, music, gameplay, style.... all of it makes it probably among the best side scrolling action JRPGs ever!

This thread needs a great deal more love!

Edit: Crap! I thought this thread was more recent. For some reason I remember posting in it not long ago but I was wrong. My apologies for bumping an old one. Perhaps a new thread on this?

Woah that was quite the bump. Never knew about this thread, and I love some Metroidvania action. Will look into OP.
Yeah, sorry about that. See my edit above. For some reason, I remembered this being a more recent thread plus it was brought it up in my 2D JRPG Platforming thread.

Thores

This thread may be old, but it's awesome. Lots of juicy stuff in here. I'm now really curious about what quality stuff released in the past 4 years could be added to this thread.

Top Bottom