• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Great Gatsby - For NES!

Big One

Banned
glnke.jpg

http://greatgatsbygame.com/

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
That is awesome on the basis of that cover alone. Its going to be a long time until I see something as awesome as Gatsby throwing a hat at the giant spectacles which are shooting laser beams.

Articalys

I had to read it for a high school project a while ago -- pretty sure we also watched the 1974 movie -- and can only remember bits and pieces of it, but that was still a fun diversion.
A bit surprised to see such a strong GAF Gatsby Defense Force.

cabel

Super fun!

The fake manual page is a nice touch -- and well executed! (Well, except the slightly weird filter on the screenshots. Now I'm picking nits.)

g_gatsby-manual-1.jpg

cabel said:
The fake manual page is a nice touch -- and well executed! (Well, except the slightly weird filter on the screenshots. Now I'm picking nits.)
Dude, the filter makes it PERFECT! It's so authentic in its bootleg look of seeming like someone just took a picture of the game playing on a TV and made that the screenshot, like so many manual creators and game magazines did in the NES era.

Seriously, this entire thing is incredible. Who ever made this has my undying love and respect (also my hatred, but a loving hatred).

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I love the book. Read it a couple of dozen times. Had it in my bag for over a month and I read chapters at random. I really love this book. :)

G-Fex

Throwing your hat, and in that outfit is fucking classy.

I remember the book and I didn't care for it nor the movie. I just don't get it.

Micius

In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I’ve been turning over in my mind ever since.

“Whenever you feel like criticizing any one,” he told me, “just remember that all the people in this world haven’t had the advantages that you’ve had.”

Blablurn said:
But the Book still sucks.

Edit: On topic, awesome game. Well done old sport!

Tempy said:
I would pay real euros for this on a nes cart.
It's most likely not possible because this game wasn't programmed to NES specifications.

The second level alone would be really tricky to do, it takes very precisely timed code to split the screen and make layers scroll independently like that. At best you'd probably just have the part above the train scrolling and then the train itself, and not the ground at the bottom.

You can only have 3 colors per sprite, not including transparency, but Nick alone has white, black, brown, skin tone, and red for his tie. It might be possible using overlaid sprites but this would be very wasteful and contribute to a lot of flickering.

Similarly, you can only have 4 simultaneous palettes worth of those 3 sprite colors. If we say there's red/black/skin and white/black/skin for the enemies, yellow/gold/pulsating white for coins and hats, grey/green/pulsating white for martini glasses, blue/dark blue/white for the fountain outside, light yellow/yellow/black for the chandeliers inside, and include Nick himself with the palette that can be brown or yellow unique to him...it goes way over.

There would also be a ton of sprite flickering. You can only have 8 sprites (of 8x8 size) per horizontal line. Each waiter is three sprites wide, including their trays. Nick is two sprites wide (three when jumping), but due to using extra colors, his tie at least would require an extra sprite and probably his face as well. Nick and two waiters standing in a line put you over the limit and start the flickering, and any other enemies/projectiles/coins/point numbers/moving objects would make it worse.

I haven't really looked at the title screen or backgrounds yet to see if they'd work.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Oh, would you look at that. A retro-style game that doesn't completely suck/fail at reproducing the style of the time. Well, apart from the use of colours, which would be impossible on an actual NES as UncleSporky said. Nice little platformers, with a combo mechanic to boot!

I actually died once (fell into the water). The game's credit told me to try a no-death run. Does anything special happen? The last lever was the beach stage in my one-death run.

Kilrogg said:
I actually died once (fell into the water). The game's credit told me to try a no-death run. Does anything special happen? The last lever was the beach stage in my one-death run.
I never died so I don't know how the ending might be different.

Nick looks at a mansion and watches it crumble Castlevania-style. There's a text crawl presumably quoting the end of the book, followed by fake credits and "Congratulations! Thank you for play." if you wait a bit after the credits, you see Nick getting off a train in a snowy area and it says "the end."

UncleSporky said:
I never died so I don't know how the ending might be different.

Nick looks at a mansion and watches it crumble Castlevania-style. There's a text crawl presumably quoting the end of the book, followed by fake credits and "Congratulations! Thank you for play." if you wait a bit after the credits, you see Nick getting off a train in a snowy area and it says "the end."

Thats the secret ending, only the
snowing train scene.

The toughest part are maybe the Mafia guys and the 2nd boss (the baseball team). Baseball team is easy when you go with full life and start shooting your hat like crazy, if you try to think in that one, you are dead.

Top Bottom