• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The greatest stadiums on earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpacLock

Not the greatest, but Comerica Park is great.

copa.jpg

comerica-park.jpg

Too bad Detroit plagues it.

Wes said:
I'm amazed that universities in the US have such large stadiums. I'd love to be part of that crowd supporting my uni in such a grand theatre rather than standing on the sidelines with a dozen other people in 4 layers of clothing.

Football is a religion here in America. Oh and my contribution to this thread:

Carolina_Panthers_24_Tampa_Bay_Bucanners_10.jpg

Bank of American Stadium in Charlotte, NC. The luxury boxes are freeeakin something else too.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
The problem with most modern stadiums are that they're too clinical, and are all basically just a bowl with a roof on.

I also can't believe how deceptively small some stadiums are. I mean, they look HUGE, but only hold like 60,000 people or something.

Our (English) football teams are definitely behind in the stadium stakes, but most clubs trying to move either have problems with planning permission, or trouble finding a suitable location within their current area.

My team (Chelsea) would die for a new stadium, as there is no room to improve Stamford Bridge, and if we were to move the club would have to change its name.

lachesis

Current Camp Nou (Barcelona) & Santiago Bernabeu (Madrid).

I don't approve Camp Nou's next design though. Looks like flaky doughnut.:lol :lol

Karakand

cjelly said:
Our (English) football teams are definitely behind in the stadium stakes, but most clubs trying to move either have problems with planning permission, or trouble finding a suitable location within their current area.
In the US teams can hold most cities hostage and demand tax payer funding for new buildings, which is why so many of our professional American football stadiums are state of the art. In England this isn't really possible since clubs are more a part of the community than franchises.

Give and take, really.

Blablurn

lol, it's obvious that most european gaffers are already asleep. There is a huge lack of great european stadiums but i'll wait till they are awake.

Karakand

Blablurn said:
lol, it's obvious that most european gaffers are already asleep. There is a huge lack of great european stadiums but i'll wait till they are awake.
I would post pics of Eastlands if I thought it was a great stadium. :lol

TDG

Banned
PNC is my favorite Baseball park by far, At&T and Progressive Field are nice as well.

For soccer, I really like Emirates, but really most of the newer stadiums popping up in Europe are amazing (especially in Germany and Austria.)

I've got to be a homer and show off what I consider to be the greatest stadium on the face of the earth, the horseshoe itself, Ohio Stadium:
page0_blog_entry1007_1.jpg

12713.jpg

105,000+ every Saturday, baby.

Willenium

Rosenblatt Stadium, home of the NCAA College World Series and, more importantly, the Omaha Royals! :D
2mcg8t3.jpg

sadly, they're tearing the stadium down to build a new one downtown, and the Royals are most likely leaving town by 2011 :( So Nebraska will see about 20 days of baseball a year. please kill me now.

Kauffman Stadium, home of the Kansas City Royals!
2mqktjp.jpg

Where I'll probably do most of my baseball watching after the Omaha team leaves forever :(
I love this stadium.

ToxicAdam

Actually, I was far more impressed by Michigan's stadium than I was with OSU's. I love how you walk up to the Big House and it looks like a dilapitated one story building and then you walk inside .. :wow:

I was just thinking, why aren't European college soccer games met with the same kind of fanfare that football gets in the US? You would think it would be a natural transition.

TDG

Banned
ToxicAdam said:
Actually, I was far more impressed by Michigan's stadium than I was with OSU's. I love how you walk up to the Big House and it looks like a dilapitated one story building and then you walk inside .. :wow:
Michigan's stadium is impressive because it doesn't seem big from the outside, but when you get in it looks enormous. Sadly, once you get in you also find that it's like sitting in a big toilet.

The Shoe is like a canyon when you're inside it though, that's why I like it.

Really, modern ballparks are AMAZING. Like, Riverfront stadium was huge, green, and unfriendly. Then, I went to Great American Ball Park and it was BEAUTIFUL. The view is great from Right field, and if you love the Applachian mountains and Ohio River like we do, the view from behind home plate is amazing. it sucks, I really wanted to go up to PNC Park this year, too. Didn't get the chance, though. Nobody would drive to Pittsburgh with me. It's about 5 hours away. Totally amazing park! But, my favorite ball park, (although I haven't been there) is totally SF's phone park. I love the right field at Baltimore's park. Really, modern ballparks are the shit. 70's ballparks WERE shit.

stadium1.jpg

That's gotta be so weird to sit in a stadium like that. Have they been talking about adding on or building a new stadium anytime soon?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Pitts09a.jpg

Wahconah Park in Pittsfield Massachusetts. One of the oldest baseball parks in the country, and one of the last to have a wooden grandstand.

The land on which the stadium now stands was first used for baseball in 1892.

Karakand

Rosenblatt is amazing. The consummate amateur / low-level baseball park. Isn't its future as the site for the CWS in jeopardy? It would be a crime to lose it.

Kabouter

Blablurn said:
Hey, I posted the stadium of my favourite club! But just to be serious for a while. I quite like the Amsterdam ArenA, AFC Ajax's stadium. It's a nice stadium for games, but tbh, I prefer the smaller stadiums. Not only is the atmosphere better, but in these modern football stadiums you feel like a prisoner :/.

2n8agip.jpg

Ajax_26320_569579.jpg

large_Univeristy%20of%20Texas%20at%20El%20Paso%20-%20Sun%20Bowl.jpg

Also, the UTEP sun bowl is AMAZING. I don't know why I can't find more pictures! Any UTEP Gaffers here? maybe you could help me.

Komlu

Kabouter said:
Hey, I posted the stadium of my favourite club! But just to be serious for a while. I quite like the Amsterdam ArenA, AFC Ajax's stadium. It's a nice stadium for games, but tbh, I prefer the smaller stadiums. Not only is the atmosphere better, but in these modern football stadiums you feel like a prisoner :/.

2n8agip.jpg

Ajax_26320_569579.jpg
Came to post this!

Karakand

Kabouter said:
Hey, I posted the stadium of my favourite club! But just to be serious for a while. I quite like the Amsterdam ArenA, AFC Ajax's stadium. It's a nice stadium for games, but tbh, I prefer the smaller stadiums. Not only is the atmosphere better, but in these modern football stadiums you feel like a prisoner :/
Especially the domed ones. Nothing like the sun and elements on your face while you're cheering. :D

vas_a_morir said:
large_Univeristy%20of%20Texas%20at%20El%20Paso%20-%20Sun%20Bowl.jpg

Also, the UTEP sun bowl is AMAZING. I don't know why I can't find more pictures! Any UTEP Gaffers here? maybe you could help me.
WOAH

TDG

Banned
I have no idea how anyone could think Beaver Stadium is beautiful. It's a clusterfuck. It's like four different people drew up plans for four different sides of four different stadiums, then they just mashed it all together. I mean, I don't want to sound like I'm a judge on some Bravo TV show about stadiums, but there's no... direction. Ugh. :p

Kabouter

Karakand said:
Especially the domed ones. Nothing like the sun and elements on your face while you're cheering. :D
I'd settle for not having meters high clear plastic walls between sections and hundreds of stewards watching everyone. Or any number of other crazy security measures :/.

Karakand

Lazy vs Crazy said:
Been there recently?

Since the new ownership, every year it gets better.

edit: It's a unique stadium, not a great one to me. Even with the passionate crowds factored in.

Big-E

I have a soft spot for our small little Nat Bailey Stadium in Vancouver. I love ballparks and have a soft spot for old minor league diamonds.
image003.jpg

Kabouter said:
I'd settle for not having meters high clear plastic walls between sections and hundreds of stewards watching everyone. Or any number of other crazy security measures :/.

What? Football stadiums have clear plastic partitions between sections? No way.

I know this was already posted but I want to add some more pics.....

University Of Phoenix Stadium (Patriots VS Giants Superbowl)

turf.jpg

0000004869.jpeg

stadium-11.jpg

home05.jpg

Since we have homers posting their unimpressive NFL stadiums like the Panthers guy, Eagles guy, and the Patriots guy... I'm going to post my team's unimpressive stadium, too.

1918.jpg

travel_paulbrown_590.jpg

It has a bit of character, though. don't let that 2nd picture fool you... It's never not been sold out.

qwertybob

Croke park, Dublin

croke_park.jpg

82,300 capacity which is huge when you consider that one end of the stadium is a small in comparison to the rest of the stadium - a 9000 capacity stand. There are plans to extend the stands up to the height of the rest of the stadium.

No love for basketball arena's! I submit the delta center (aka Energy Solutions Arena). Its not nearly as big as these football stadiums but it more than makes up for it. There isnt a bad seat in the house, great food and amenities, and without a doubt one of the loudest stadiums in the world. I remember when the bulls were playing the jazz in the NBA championship they had to hand out ear plugs because the decible levels were consistantly so high. I SALUTE YOU, DELTA CENTER!

85011132.KwaCZdVA.jpg

deltaCenter.jpg

P.S.-GO JAZZ!

Zoolaga

ToxicAdam said:
I was just thinking, why aren't European college soccer games met with the same kind of fanfare that football gets in the US? You would think it would be a natural transition.

The system is just entirely different. In Europe good young players will be in the youth squads and academies of professional teams by the time they are 12/13 some even younger, and there are around 80 professional teams in England alone in a tiered system. Young players from the top teams get loaned out to teams in the lower leagues for experience.

BlackSalad said:
No love for basketball arena's! I submit the delta center (aka Energy Solutions Arena). Its not nearly as big as these football stadiums but it more than makes up for it. There isnt a bad seat in the house, great food and amenities, and without a doubt one of the loudest stadiums in the world. I remember when the bulls were playing the jazz in the NBA championship they had to hand out ear plugs because the decible levels were consistantly so high. I SALUTE YOU, DELTA CENTER!

http://k43.pbase.com/g6/79/646579/2/85011132.KwaCZdVA.jpg

http://www.mountainview92.org/scrapbook/media/currentEvents/deltaCenter.jpg

P.S.-GO JAZZ!

Haha go jazz go. Been there a few times, I just live over in Morgan if you know where thats at.... if you even live in utah.

screw the jazz... go PHX go

BakedPigeon said:
Haha go jazz go. Been there a few times, I just live over in Morgan if you know where thats at.... if you even live in utah.

screw the jazz... go PHX go

haha thats funny, I just moved from salt lake to phoenix. Screw the suns!

Desperado

I can't find any pictures of it since the recent expansion, but DRK-Texas Memorial Stadium is fucking awesome. Of course, I'm biased.

1000px-UT-Nebraska_Panorama_2007.jpg

Snaku

Banned
Fatalah said:
Tampa's proposed stadium is going to be the Giant's stadium of the east coast. (Note the collapsible "sail" to fend against rain!)

57_CGI%20Ballpark%20Shot%20_%20low-Sml.jpg

I'm so pissed that's not going to be built now. Fuck you old, baseball hating, retired fucks in St. Pete! Fuck you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom