• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The greatest stadiums on earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blablurn

After I saw the Yankees stadium thread I came up with this idea. What are your favourite sports arenas? Feel free too post some nice pictures (especially self-made ones).

I'm starting with the Allianz Arena in Munich

Allianz_Arena.jpg

It's the home of the german football club FC Bayern München.

allianzarenacombo.jpg

There is space for 69.000 people and it's able change its colors.

28_2_1_Freudentanz_72.jpg

The Allianz Arenas was also used during the FIFA World Cup 2006 in Germany.

Now it's your turn, Gaf! I'm looking forward to some nice pictures :)

black_13

Banned
Holy that Allianz Arena is nice!

which stadium is it thats able to open and close its roof? that one seems impressive as well.

methane47

doak.jpg

2452790151_1f6f0e2ece.jpg

seats ~85,000 people... but often holds 90k+

also home to the best football team in the US of A.

ok i'm a bit biased

gutshot

black_13 said:

which stadium is it thats able to open and close its roof? that one seems impressive as well.

A lot of stadiums nowadays have retractable roofs. The one that Kung Fu Jedi posted is the Dallas Cowboys' new stadium.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Opening in 2009 Baby!

]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e78/conept/DallasCowboysNewStadium.jpg

They're going to demolish my local Wal-Mart for parking lot space. :(

The glass facade looks neat from the highway.

Fatalah

Tampa's proposed stadium is going to be the Giant's stadium of the east coast. (Note the collapsible "sail" to fend against rain!)

57_CGI%20Ballpark%20Shot%20_%20low-Sml.jpg

Blablurn said:
After I saw the Yankees stadium thread I came up with this idea. What are your favourite sports arenas? Feel free too post some nice pictures (especially self-made ones).

I'm starting with the Allianz Arena in Munich

http://www.fussballtempel.net/uefa/GER/Allianz_Arena.jpg[IMG]

[/QUOTE]

That looks awful!

Blablurn

black_13 said:

The "Arena auf Schalke" (also from Germany) is able to open and close its roof.

Auf_Schalke2.jpg

It's even capable to transfer the ground in and out.

4a656d17e21e0a3aac3afcde6bc47314_Arena%20auf%20Schalke%20Lufbild.jpg

Very nice stadium (although I hate the team who is playing there).

Ryck

The Polo Grounds

Former names Brush Stadium (1911-1919)
Location West 155th Street and Eighth Avenue
New York, New York
Broke ground 1890
Opened April 22, 1891
Renovated June 28, 1911
Expanded 1923
Closed September 18, 1963
Demolished April 10, 1964
Owner New York Giants
Surface Grass
Architect Henry B. Herts
Capacity 34,000 (1911); 55,000 (1923)
Field dimensions Left Field – 279 ft (85 m)
Left-Center – 450 ft (137.1 m)
Center Field – 483 ft (147.2 m)
Right-Center – 449 ft (136.8 m)
Right Field – 258 ft (78.6 m)
Tenants
New York Giants (NL) (1891–1957)
New York Yankees (AL) (1913–1922)
New York Mets (NL) (1962–1963)
New York Giants (NFL) (1925–1955)
New York Titans/Jets (AFL) (1960–1963)
New York Bulldogs (NFL) (1949)
New York Giants (NFL) (1921)
Gotham Bowl (NCAA) (1961)

Pologrounds5.jpg

Polo_Grounds_502.jpg

AAID194~Polo-Grounds-Posters.jpg

10-3-1951_1st_pitch_polo_grounds.jpg

StadiumsPoloGrounds_photo7.jpg

slider

Bollox. Deleted my reply twice. FFS.

Anyway, it's gonna be difficult to match (let alone beat) your post Blaburn.

I'm hoping someone does the sensible thing and let's West Ham use the 2012 Olympics stadium after the games are over. What a farce.

Been to some real toilets - stand outs were Vicarage Road (years ago) and Peterborough's London Road ground. Ugh.

In recent living memory... The Emirates stands out as a great place to watch footy. Sadly a client took me, it's not somewhere I can just wander into...

35hppia.jpg

AntoneM

supebowl-Phoenix-Stadium.jpg

800px-University_of_Phoenix_Stadium_aerial.jpg

naming_5.jpg

The University of Phoenix Stadium, with its retractable roof and field, is unlike any other stadium in North America, and a marvel of design, engineering, and technology. This multi-purpose facility is located in Glendale, Arizona.

The primary tenants in the stadium include the NFL's Arizona Cardinals and the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl. The 63,400-seat stadium (expandable to 73,000) opened on August 1, 2006 after three years of construction. The ceremonial groundbreaking was held on April 12, 2003.

The Cards may suck, but the Stadium is awesome!

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
We in Chicago, at least most of us, like our stadiums old school. Manual Scoreboards, minimal video screens, organ music, brick walls with ivy, and minimal advertising.

Wrigley_field_720.jpg

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
methodman said:
pacbel70.jpg

dp006479.jpg

AT&T Park - SF Giants home stadium

Agreed. Pac Bell.. I mean, SBC.. I mean, AT&T Park is fantastic.

Why am I stuck with the Sky Do.. er, 'Rogers Centre' now?

800px-SF_Ballpark_2_CA.jpg

Qwest Field was pretty great, for the time I was there.

800px-QwestFieldPano.jpg

Fatalah said:
Tampa's proposed stadium is going to be the Giant's stadium of the east coast. (Note the collapsible "sail" to fend against rain!)

57_CGI%20Ballpark%20Shot%20_%20low-Sml.jpg

That's pretty cool, but they'll lose the home field advantage that their current dump of a stadium provides them.

Same with the Twins.

MickD said:
14uurgi.jpg

Cowboy stadium.. Can't wait. U can see it from 20 miles away

1 Bill

Largest Hdtv ever

QFFT! Can't wait to see a game there. I hope it's as good as Texas Stadium in terms of seating. The stadium itself is a complete turd but every seat inside offers a great view.

Kabouter

141002_661_1171545801740-STADION.jpg

almelo1.jpg

Yeahhhhhh
The Polman Stadion in Almelo, an arena of champions that knows no equal. It is there that heroes are born, and legends are created.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Even though our baseball team is garbage, we have probably the best park in MLB

j9bomx.jpg

PNC Park

Also thought the Water Cube and Bird's Nest from the Olympics were amazing.

purg3

slept with Malkin
ToxicAdam said:
PNC is by far my favorite ballpark. I've only been to about 8 of them, but the view is just incredible.

edit: beaten

Hell yeah, it's amazing. I got to get a full tour of the complex and field as part of an architectural design class I took a while back.

Xeke said:

I just visted Penn State for the first time over the summer (my best friend is going to school there for the next 5 years for his phd) and when we first drove past it, I thought to myself, "I've got to come back and visit when it's football season."

I'll give another vote for AT&T park. Love the fact that it's really close to my office.

methane47 said:
doak.jpg

2452790151_1f6f0e2ece.jpg

seats ~85,000 people... but often holds 90k+

also home to the best football team in the US of A.

ok i'm a bit biased

Doak Stadium for those who don't know. About as nice as they come. Largest brick building in the states (I think second largest in world, second to the Great Wall)

Carolina Panthers stadium is pretty sick too.

P.S.

Football + Domes = terrible stadium

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
PNC Park and AT&T Park are probably my favorites. They have great views.

No Fenway yet? Fenway, Wrigley, Yankee Stadium (this year's version), and the Roman Coliseum. New stadiums are nice and all but are just shells with no history yet...maybe later, but not now.

Ryck

Pnc is beautiful....

Ive always admired it... also...

Don't forget the one that started the (imo great) trend of retro ballparks..

CamdenYards.jpg

Oriole Park @ Camden yards

Also gotta give some love to my local ballpark

264311236_8fe1f6fbc5_b.jpg

Petco Park SD Ca

Karakand

PETCO is amazing.

Yankee Stadium (old) is bland and dull. Better than Shea though.

Fenway is just ghetto. Wrigley is America's "classic" professional ballpark.

The Swamp is ugly and has a view of nothing special. Stop being a homer, pxleyes!

Wes

venison crêpe
I'm amazed that universities in the US have such large stadiums. I'd love to be part of that crowd supporting my uni in such a grand theatre rather than standing on the sidelines with a dozen other people in 4 layers of clothing.

Wes said:
I'm amazed that universities in the US have such large stadiums. I'd love to be part of that crowd supporting my uni in such a grand theatre rather than standing on the sidelines with a dozen other people in 4 layers of clothing.

The stadiums are cool and all, but the whole scene of it all is unbearable. I've been to a home OSU game before, it's :/

slider

Wes said:

When I played footy for my uni we thought we'd done well if we got fans in double figures to support us at away games. And if one of them was a girl? It was like winning the world cup.

Good times.

Bumblebeetuna said:
QFFT! Can't wait to see a game there. I hope it's as good as Texas Stadium in terms of seating. The stadium itself is a complete turd but every seat inside offers a great view.

J. Jones says the views will be better for the normal ticket holder. He openly admitted the new stadium will bring in twice as much revenue from luxury/corporate boxes, but he guaranteed a better experience for the normal fan.

The new Texas Stadium will be the new high watermark for stadiums for a long time. Plus it's in Arlington now; closer and more accessible from my house!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom