• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Onix said:
I'm surprised this escaped the notice of the mods.

Nice job.

Dude, you mean your PS2 didn't output over 1024x600 resolutions last generation? Just the measly 640x480 resolution? You missed out! The PS2 is a beast! That shit be bangin!

Raistlin

Shogmaster said:
Not even close. He at attempted some logic with his comment.

I'm not saying that he is right with PS3 being unable to run the game @ 720p. It might be that by going with lower resolution, the smaller frame buffer gave them some room back on the RAM for textures and whatnot to get it closer to the RAM available on the 360.

Oh Shog :lol

gtj1092

RiskyChris said:
verv9k.jpg

HOLY SHIT. Just noticed the mouth/belly button swap.

Greatest thread EVAR!!!!!!!!!!

zaidr

that can't be real...

Edit: Meant that about the Disgruntled Wii Kid. But OMG...that bellybutton/mouth swap is just wrong. I thought someone was simulating what would happen if someone FHUTBB...

jaaz

Slackbladder said:
My Display Setting is 1080p. When on the XMB it shows 1080p on the tv info. But GTAIV does not display @1080p. Somethings wrong. Possibly me as I've been up for 20 hours....

Edit: Okay it maybe 720p is prioritized over 1080p. Why make 1080p a possible resolution then?

If it ran at native 1080p, it would default to that (assuming you had a 1080p display). It defaults to 720p because that is the native resolution--the one thought to be the best under which the game runs--and the PS3 defaults to that. By not clicking 720p, you are forcing upscaling to 1080p.

For what its worth, I always upscale to 1080p if the game allows it.

Raistlin

fortified_concept said:
I can't believe I'm gonna defend andrewfee but what he did was stream the same image to PS3 and X360 to show that they have different image outputs. He's not comparing different versions of the game, just the same image with different outputs.

Oh god that was so hard. I promise I'll never do it again.

:lol :lol :lol

Raistlin

Vennt said:
Seriously, I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Possibly neither, I'll just wallow in the knowledge that nothing I have done in my life to date, compares with the levels of retardation needed to do this kinda shit. (And believe me, I've done some seriously retarded things in my time).

JESUS ... this thread is fucking comedy gold :lol

Best thread in A LONG TIME!!

FrankT

tfur said:
Although it has been reproduced to some degree by others here, with the retail 360 version.

We had those that could and could not reproduce the Tree Of Doom... although this has been ignored...

Got some clips.

It would appear the maybe the mods have just decided to let this thread completely go, like Manhattan Island in Escape from New York. There are no guards inside the walls, only the prisoners and the worlds they have made...

gtj1092 said:
Does it feel good to give into the voices in your head and your inner desires? :D .

Very much so...this thread is therapeutic and evil at the same time. :lol :lol :lol

Some of my finest work, actually.

Corrupt

Gary Whitta said:
It would appear the maybe the mods have just decided to let this thread completely go, like Manhattan Island in Escape from New York. There are no guards inside the walls, only the prisoners and the worlds they have made...
escape_l.jpg

"lol wut"

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Gary Whitta said:

Bish... You are... the Duke of New... New York... You're... A-Number-One.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Does Niko's ridiculous 1960s archie bunker jumpsuit not bother anyone else? I cannot wait to change out of it, whereas I usually wear default clothes in GTA. It's...freaking brown and moldy.

deadbeef

Gary Whitta said:

Follow me - to freedom!

Raistlin

GenericPseudonym said:
So now the PS3 versions runs at 630p? And the 360 version has slightly more pop-in. It looks like parity has been acheived, especially considering how much 640p harping was piled onto Halo 3 by PS3 fanboys.

:lol

Not again1!!!!!

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Y2Kev said:
Does Niko's ridiculous 1960s archie bunker jumpsuit not bother anyone else? I cannot wait to change out of it, whereas I usually wear default clothes in GTA. It's...freaking brown and moldy.
Not really. It's more of a 1980's jumpsuit that an immigrant from the eastern bloc would be wearing.

Y2Kev said:

I LOVE his outfit. It's iconic at this point, seriously.

jaaz

Stinkles said:
Bish... You are... the Duke of New... New York... You're... A-Number-One.

:lol :lol

I remember that line. Awesome. Specially when he's saying it while shooting the Duke after he's already dead.

_Angelus_

Banned
Its been a fun few days reading this thread. I even feel compelled to buy this game,though am I not a fan of this series that much.

Which stores are doing a midnight launch? WalMart,BlockBuster maybe?
Viral marketing got to me again,damn.

judging from those two shots above, even though one is at sunset (360 one right?), I can certainly say I do enjoy the more muted color palette of the PS3 version

tfur

Jtyettis said:
Got some clips.

Just read the thread... it was discussed around the time of the second non pop-up clip...

It was stated that it was not as bad, but did happen. The person said he would post video, but I suggested that it was not needed, and it is not needed.

We have had quite a few reviewers mention pop-in, which is "far less on ps3", or "slightly less on the ps3". I do not think we have a reviewer conspiracy, although I would suggest the review numbers in general may be inflated.

I do think the 630p thing hurts the epenis for some people... but I am amazed that so many sites gave the nod to the ps3 graphically. Again, I do not think there is a reviewer conspiracy on this either...

Related to the graphical nod... I would love to have a game postmortem by the devs, but I do not think they would ever be truly honest about design decisions. There is some talk of a filters being or not being used on whatever version, and there should be more info in the weeks to come...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom