• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Guardian ranks every Studio Ghibli film

and gets it fucking WRONG.

z2ztZvgY_400x400.jpg

Their ranking of the 22 films:

22. Porco Rosso (1992)
21. My Neighbours the Yamadas (1999)
20. Only Yesterday (1991)
19. From Up on Poppy Hill (2011)
18. Arrietty (2010)
17. Pom Poko (1994)
16. When Marnie Was There (2014)
15. Ocean Waves (1993)
14. The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (2013)
13. The Wind Rises (2013)
12. The Cat Returns (2002)
11. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (1984)
10. Whisper of the Heart (1995)
9. Ponyo (2008)
8. Tales from Earthsea (2006)
7. Grave of the Fireflies (1988)
6. Spirited Away (2001)
5. Laputa: Castle in the Sky (1986)
4. My Neighbour Totoro (1988)
3. Kiki’s Delivery Service (1989)
2. Howl’s Moving Castle (2004)
1. Princess Mononoke (1997)

You don't put Porco Rosso, the stealth best Ghibli movie, dead last you tasteless motherfucking lime-skinned fogbreather.

I respect Mononoke and Castle In The Sky being Top 5 tho.

Dazrael

After getting Mononoke settled in the right place they go and mess it up by putting Porco Rosso last. They couldn’t have got it more right and equally as wrong if they tried.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think I've ever enjoyed watching any of these movies. Grave of the Fireflies was all over the place considering it was based on a dude that didn't share food with his sister after the bomb and she starved to death. Nah they had to make it about the evil Americans. Also the recurring theme of children abuse in most of the movies is cheap. Animation itself was good though.

Doom85

Howl's Moving Castle is good but so many Ghibli films are SO much better. And Spirited Away should be much higher than #6.

kunonabi

I expected the list to be bad but this is shockingly ridiculous.

My Top 6:

Spirited Away
The Wind Rises
Whisper of the Heart
Porco Rosso
The Tale of Princess Kaguya
My Neighbors the Yamadas

Grave of the Fireflies is obviously up there too but it's too difficult a watch for me to really revisit often.

Last edited:
Weird list. As rankings tend to be.
I'd put Kaguya, Pom Poko and Spirited Away "higher".
But yeah, whatcha gonna do. That's lists for ya.

Naibel

Ghibli non-Miyazaki output is ridiculously underrated ! The bias here is as clear as day ! :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Why is Only Yesterday, Whisper Of The Heart or Princess Kaguya so low in the ranking ? They're leaps and bounds better than Ponyo or Tales from Earthsea, which are pretty good but certainly not great.

And ffs, Porco Rosso and The Yamadas being dead last is just criminal. :lollipop_steam_nose:

But then, this is the Guardian. They want those sweet sweet rage clicks.

Mononoke overrated but Ponyo is among the best.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
Wanted to include movies from the different decades and Ponyo has to be one of the most loveable and enjoyable in my opinion. People overreact about it being the hideous deformed child of the Ghibli catalogue, but from the animation, dialogue and dubbing was top notch. Would make my personal top 10 by a margin.

Last edited:

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Opens link, sees #22, screams NO! Closes tab.

Stop falling for outrage marketing.

How many of these stupid lists are people going to fall for?

Also, daily reminder that Grave of the Fireflies is not even an anti-war film, per the director. The Americans completely missed the point ("don't be like these kids!")

Last edited:

Handel

It has the correct #1, but a terrible pick for last place...overall not a list I can jive with but definitely can't be called catering to anyone, a clearly personal list. I have my own fair share of controversial rankings so not about to slam them.

It has the correct #1, but a terrible pick for last place...overall not a list I can jive with but definitely can't be called catering to anyone, a clearly personal list. I have my own fair share of controversial rankings so not about to slam them.

It's fun to yell at people with poor taste.

Impotaku

Who gives a fuck what the guardian thinks, i don't need them ranking they are all fun in different ways. Except grave of the fireflys that one should come with a trauma warning & a extra large box of tissues.

#22 negates this whole ranking.

Continue with those who don't know guiding those who don't know.

Totoro should be #1 as it easily the most friendly anyone can enjoy movie. It's also their mascot for a reason.

has perverted elevated the character.

Last edited:
Top Bottom