• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Gundam |OT2| Another 5 years of Gunpla, Origins, and GUNDAMUUUU!

xillyriax

aww yes Marmoset

No actual spec map and only the Musuem Sky Light. Still haven't decided on battle-worn or the toy look.
yAYUcKw.png

6wBfd4F.png

B.K.

Ohh Gundam 3D fanart here, I should visit this thread more often!
I recently finished this fanart, a game-res bust of Hyaku Shiki. I used several bust resin kits as reference which had more or less the same kind of details. With the MG 2.0 coming shortly, seemed like a cool tribute.

Nice texturing. Did you do that by hand or use dDO?

Acid08

Banned
Sweet! Be careful of the screws, I used the wrong ones by accident and redid them a few times, luckily no major problems like the hole wearing out lol.

Luckily I've already built the God and Spiegel so I've had plenty of practice building that inner frame lol. They all use the same one.

Sora_N

Luckily I've already built the God and Spiegel so I've had plenty of practice building that inner frame lol. They all use the same one.

Ah nice, I was surprised how decent the frame is due to the age of the kit. It's not perfect but it's pretty damn good considering the age.

Soi-Fong

That is correct. The new workflow is a lot easier to author textures and make the model look good, so investing time learning it is a good idea.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing right now. Just reading up on good PBR practices in general. I'm still a little bit confused on when to use a specular map or a metallic map.. I know with a metallic you can save texture space since it's grayscale.

Did you use existing materials in Substance Painter and just alter the value? Either way I love the look! :)

Anyway, sorry for getting off-topic here.

Edit: Looking at it again, I'm guessing you used Substance Designer to add some of the scratches on the gold material and such..

Arkadios

Yeah, that's what I'm doing right now. Just reading up on good PBR practices in general. I'm still a little bit confused on when to use a specular map or a metallic map.. I know with a metallic you can save texture space since it's grayscale.

Did you use existing materials in Substance Painter and just alter the value? Either way I love the look! :)

Anyway, sorry for getting off-topic here.

Edit: Looking at it again, I'm guessing you used Substance Designer to add some of the scratches on the gold material and such..

I knew PBR was going to be huge, so I studied extensively last year, as soon as the programs started implementing it, now that I have a solid grasp I just focus on creating stuff. About the materials, you probably want to start with measured data for reflectance values, so if you use dDo, Substance or your own values the base look will probably be about the same, its what you do after getting the base materials set that will sell the model.

Both spec-gloss and metal-rough workflows have pros and cons, I just prefer the metal-rough. Not all renders have option to plug the Metalness Map yet, but now with Pixar's RenderMan (PBR was inspired by Disney's shading models, after all) available and the lastest releases of Maya and Modo that is starting to change, great times ahead. =)

To not make the post completely off-topic, I plan to do a lot more Gundam stuff, not just busts, I have quite a backlog on MG models for that purpose.

Wubby

Leaked image of new Drom R35 and Lightning Zeta.

2015 Shizuoka Hobby Show is less than a month away! We'll be getting something new announced at the show this year. Last year was the RE kit line iirc, year before that was the 3.0 MG Gundam. Any guesses for this year?

New June issues of hobby magazines will be releasing this week so we may get to see some new stuff in them before the show.

Wubby

The next kit coming as part of the HG Revive is Freedom Gundam. Not what I was expecting! Silly me thought it would stay with the UC line... Yay I guess?

The next kit coming as part of the HG Revive is Freedom Gundam. Not what I was expecting! Silly me thought it would stay with the UC line... Yay I guess?

Hella yay. I will definitely get it if it's anywhere near the quality of the new HG Strike.

Acid08

Banned
Got some figures in today!

RAHDX Sochie Heim and Loran Cehack plus a better picture of the MG Turn A. They both look great! Can't wait to get the MG Turn X and 1/100 Sumo to complete the display.

Got some figures in today!

RAHDX Sochie Heim and Loran Cehack plus a better picture of the MG Turn A. They both look great! Can't wait to get the MG Turn X and 1/100 Sumo to complete the display.
Did superior Kihel not get a figure yet? Sochie looks nice and all but she's not Kihel.

Beth Cyra

Can't sau I'm shocked. With Freedom RD launching and the fact the already redid the HG Strike it was only a matter of time before we saw another Freedom given how much people eat up the suit.

now we need Revive Zeta and SF and I can start hoping for possibly a Revive Alex.

Wubby

Really like these two. The more I see Lightning Zeta the more I like it... but it's a Naoki design so I already did like it.. It's another kit I may just have to get two of. Dom is looking great as well!

I put Transient together yesterday. It's a really great looking kit even with nothing done to it at all. Started on an HG AGE 1 normal tonight.

PhiLonius

Really like these two. The more I see Lightning Zeta the more I like it... but it's a Naoki design so I already did like it.. It's another kit I may just have to get two of. Dom is looking great as well!

I put Transient together yesterday. It's a really great looking kit even with nothing done to it at all. Started on an HG AGE 1 normal tonight.

That Dom is sick, but I'm still on the fence with the Zeta. I loved it when it was first shown on the last episode, but now not so much.

Are you going to keep the spoiler on the AGE 1?

Gundam Recoguista in G Episode 9

I think its Bell's happiness that has caused this to move a bit up on my list of Gundam shows. I kind of look forward to every Friday now to see this just for Bell. Its nice having someone so happy to pilot G-self, and though some of the characters around him are useless (aida, she said it herself), or just pointless (still dont know the point of Noredo, at least Raraiya has some mystery), or dumb (Captain Mask is a terrible recurring antagonist, I pray he never wins), Bell and the plot and some of the adult characters make it really fun.

Also the landscapes are so colorful on Earth in this. Kind of a nice change from the looks of gAGE landscapes (though they did have that fight deep in the forest around some lake if I remember) or the island nation of Orb in Seed. and Seed Destiny. I like it.

Beth Cyra

Placed a big Gunpla order.

Grabbed Transient (the only good Exia design in my eyes),
MG Turn X,
HGUC Delta Gundam (wanted it to compare to MG Shiki 3.0)
Bearguy F
G Self - I had hoped for a quick turn around on the MG, Age style but with no announcement I finally gave in.

Also considering grabbing Titanium Wing Gundam and the Silver Phenix.

Shun

The G-Self, for a 2014 kit, is sort of disappointing and I love the G-Self.

Good articulation and balance but the joint design limits some poses. Never had a problem with it falling apart. So many stickers and details lefts out, colors could be a bit better, and it requires a ton of panel lining.

Such a great designed Mobile Suit that is ruined by all the stickers on it's head and body. I'm waiting for an MG version or anything that's better quality. Maybe Robo Damashii, that looks great, but I prefer building and painting.

Since you're getting the HG, do you plan on getting the other backpack?

Beth Cyra

The G-Self, for a 2014 kit, is sort of disappointing and I love the G-Self.

Good articulation and balance but the joint design limits some poses. Never had a problem with it falling apart. So many stickers and details lefts out, colors could be a bit better, and it requires a ton of panel lining.

Such a great designed Mobile Suit that is ruined by all the stickers on it's head and body. I'm waiting for an MG version or anything that's better quality. Maybe Robo Damashii, that looks great, but I prefer building and painting.

Since you're getting the HG, do you plan on getting the other backpack?

Assault Pack?

I might, given how much I hate the Strike-ish backpack the Assault is actually an improvement.

The thing is its pricey for an HG and Im going to hold off on the it for a bit, I much rather spend big dollars on an MG variant should it get released. That said, if we still haven't seen a MG by January of 2016 I will grab it because the Assault is what I want to pose along side the Gaeon.

I should really finish G-reco before my vacation ends but the darn show just does not appeal to me at all.

Why can't a mainline series be as good as Build Fighters? :V

Wubby

That Dom is sick, but I'm still on the fence with the Zeta. I loved it when it was first shown on the last episode, but now not so much.

Are you going to keep the spoiler on the AGE 1?

I think I will. The spoiler doesn't bother me at all.

G Self - I had hoped for a quick turn around on the MG, Age style but with no announcement I finally gave in.

Thank you! Now that you've ordered it for sure Bandai will announce the MG version at the Shizuoka Hobby Show next month! I'm just kidding of course

I'm on the fence too about the Assault pack.... I like the look of the G-self that comes with the pack but not a huge fan of the pack itself... or the large size of the thing. Don't know if I'd ever want to display it. Plus now I know if I wait a bit I can grab G-Recon kits 50% off. Though I have a feeling though in a few years this assault pack maybe hard to find like Zaku F2000 and G-Bouncer.

Grabbed Transient (the only good Exia design in my eyes),
MG Turn X,
HGUC Delta Gundam (wanted it to compare to MG Shiki 3.0)
Bearguy F

Also considering grabbing Titanium Wing Gundam and the Silver Phenix.

MG Turn X looks sooooo good. I feel like the public at large, at least in the West, has really flipped on Turn-A's mech designs. I admit I hated them myself... now I think they are brilliant pieces of sci-fi art.

Beth Cyra

MG Turn X looks sooooo good. I feel like the public at large, at least in the West, has really flipped on Turn-A's mech designs. I admit I hated them myself... now I think they are brilliant pieces of sci-fi art.
I still hate the design of most stuff in Turn A, however Turn X I think works. I'm not sure why.

Though Turn A MG made me respect the design a lot more at least.

I still have unbuilt RG RX-78-2 and Nobell lol...itching to start those after I feel satisfied with Wing.

I definitely got interested in the X kit after checking out the review...man that one looks so cool.
Okay I'll just come out and say this is bullshit.

Before G launched he said over and over this wasn't for Gundam fans, but kids.

How the hell does that suddenly shift to Nuclear engineers and stuff?

Wubby

Okay I'll just come out and say this is bullshit.

Before G launched he said over and over this wasn't for Gundam fans, but kids.

How the hell does that suddenly shift to Nuclear engineers and stuff?

Heh yeah I posted about that over in the G-reco thread... It's fun how he changes his tune after the show bombed.

Ha, I love it.

Tomino back in August before the show started:

“Preexisting fans of Gundam won’t be able to understand it…I’m not making this for you, so please show it to your children and grandchildren, instead.”

And now

But the people I'd most want to see it probably didn't. That's the guys in the Cabinet, the nuclear energy guys. And I don't expect them to.

This is the only show I know of that was made for kids, politicians and nuclear energy guys.

Tomino acknowledges that anime is supposed to be "happier" than what he produced, but claimed he couldn't bring himself to make something like that.

Happier? But it is happy, one of my complaints was that it isnt as serious and as fun as the top Gundam animes. Bell is like oozing happiness and everyone in the anime is far from being unhappy. WHat is he talking about?

Acid08

Banned
Tomino you made one seriously genre defining show and then a bunch of imitations of it. Your legacy is secured dude, you can stop now.

Shun

You people don't understand. What he meant is that the story would only be understood a generation or two from now and that we wouldn't understand the struggles as they would in the future. The ones creating that struggle now, the Kokkai and the physicists. It's a social commentary and satire that generations after will look back on.

Tomino is truly a visionary in more ways than one and this remorse is only due to Bandai and Sunrise pressuring him to take the blame. I feel for his suffering.

Beth Cyra

You people don't understand. What he meant is that the story would only be understood a generation or two from now and that we wouldn't understand the struggles as they would in the future. The ones creating that struggle now, the Kokkai and the physicists. It's a social commentary and satire that generations after will look back on.

Tomino is truly a visionary in more ways than one and this remorse is only due to Bandai and Sunrise pressuring him to take the blame. I feel for his suffering.
Shun I love you at times.

Tomino better be backing up a dump truck full of gunpla to your home right now for posting that.

Acid08

Banned
Bandai announced a shiny colored MG Turn A with the Moonlight Butterfly parts. MB parts will also be sold separately. Been waiting for this, always thought it was shitty that only the HG got this part.

1000097310_10.jpg

1000097310_9.jpg

1000097310_6.jpg

Beth Cyra

Bandai announced a shiny colored MG Turn A with the Moonlight Butterfly parts. MB parts will also be sold separately. Been waiting for this thought it was shitty that only the HG got this part.

1000097310_10.jpg

1000097310_9.jpg
I saw this. Honestly I was really disappointed they didn't give Turn A a full metallic finish. It's more like the traditional Wing Zero Pearl Gloss.

Top Bottom