• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Gundam |OT2| Another 5 years of Gunpla, Origins, and GUNDAMUUUU!

AALLx

no one doing a 2.0 justice build?

I have one in my backlog, though it's not high on my priority list.

--------

medium-quality pics of Freedom and Exia:
THCMp1J.jpg
6fgspyw.jpg
zSoAith.jpg
VVt6RVx.jpg
lo8G3aL.jpg

Full album: https://imgur.com/a/JCYNb

yami4ct

Man. I still love the MG exia. Just a solid version of that design. I wish the PG had the same decal layout, but the simpler decal set does seem to work well with the chunkier more anime like proportions.

Built one of the Freedom 2.0 wings. Continues to be an amazing kit. Only thing I can really say I'm down on is I wish the fins on the front of the cannon folded in. I like the way it looks in wing form, but with the cannons folded out I think those fins look a bit silly.

Guys, I'm like the most basic, casual Gundam fan who just got back in because of Versus and the Gundam Wing bluray announcement.

Wing got me into the Gundam and is still the only thing I've watched of the franchise.

I'm just preemptively posting to say hey and I hope to participate more soon.

AALLx

Man. I still love the MG exia. Just a solid version of that design. I wish the PG had the same decal layout, but the simpler decal set does seem to work well with the chunkier more anime like proportions.

Built one of the Freedom 2.0 wings. Continues to be an amazing kit. Only thing I can really say I'm down on is I wish the fins on the front of the cannon folded in. I like the way it looks in wing form, but with the cannons folded out I think those fins look a bit silly.
The "simple" decals on the MG Exia still took me almost a month (on and off) to finish due to being waterslide :D. I dread to think how long it'd take to apply waterslides on a PG kit. I only thing I'd like to improve on the MG Exia is the neck articulation. After getting used to chicken necks, it felt weird having a single ball socket.

Freedom 2.0 is just lovely. I look at the kit next to my desk and I'm still an awe with how sleek the proportions are.

resized a pic:

lookin good =)
Nice :)

My current immediate backlogs are the MG OVA Unicorn and Banshee (both have been cut up but Banshee still needs nub removal), and then the 1/100 Barbatos Lupus (all cleaned up and ready to paint). Also have a half-finished RG Unicorn lying around.

After that, my untouched backlog consists off:
PG Unicorn (DM)
1/100 Bael
MG Qan[T]
MG 00 Seven Sword/G
MG XN 00 Raiser
MG Justice
MG Providence
Another MG Freedom 2.0 (seriously, I love this kit)
MG Wing Zero Custom
MG Astray Red Frame Kai
HG Super Fumina
HG Super Fumina Angel Axis
HG Chinaguy

On top of that, I'm still planning on getting the PG Exia. I'm buying kits faster than I'm building them >_<

AALLx

Are any of the MG Wing Gundam kits actually good? I don't think I have heard anything but complaints about them.

The Wing Gundam Proto Zero EW, being the newest Wing kit, is really good. It's pretty much a "MG 2.0" already. Most Tallgeeses are bad due to balance issues and loose parts. From what I've heard, the bad Wing is actually the Wing Ver. Ka, but that's a kit from 2004. Just get more recent ones and you'll be fine.

-----
Like this shot so much that I want to share it. The way the proportions flow, it almost looks like a human body:

yami4ct

The "simple" decals on the MG Exia still took me almost a month (on and off) to finish due to being waterslide :D. I dread to think how long it'd take to apply waterslides on a PG kit. I only thing I'd like to improve on the MG Exia is the neck articulation. After getting used to chicken necks, it felt weird having a single ball socket.

Freedom 2.0 is just lovely. I look at the kit next to my desk and I'm still an awe with how sleek the proportions are.

I was actually calling the PG Decal set simple, but I can see how my sentence structure was confusing haha. The MG set is much more complex which I think fits with the pointier, thinner layout of the kit in general.

EDIT: I thought we had seen the PG with a decal layout and it was an understated layout but turns out I was a dummy and all the samples so far have no decals. There is still hope!

yami4ct

Man. I love water slides. I wish every MG, RG, and PG had at least water slide options I could officially buy instead of dealing with the up and down quality of the off brand market. I find them to be so mistake resistant now that I'm used to applying them without ripping and they look better than stickers. Dry transfers scare me with their one shot and any mistake and you're screwed style.

Wing had a pretty fantastic OST for as much as I am not the biggest fan of the actual series.

Yeah a lot of those tracks are memorable, even though I very much dislike the show and the characters at this point. Literally as soon as you mentioned the OST the suspenseful recap/monologue music they often used for describing the organization of OZ played in my head lol.

Hmm anyone have general tips for tightening loose joints and parts. I wanna make my MG Altron, which is supposed to come this month (yay!) isn't wobbly. I know Tamiya makes a cement but isn't that for permanent posing/fixtures? Wondering if there is a lighter version of it to look out for or something like that.

Found that some of my other kits have a wobbly area like hip/leg or part and would like to try and eliminate it.

The few kits ive done without any wobble what-so-ever are the Patlabor Ingram 3, R-GyaGya, and MG RX-78 3.0. The rest have -something- that wobbles lol.

NEO0MJ

Hmm anyone have general tips for tightening loose joints and parts. I wanna make my MG Altron, which is supposed to come this month (yay!) isn't wobbly. I know Tamiya makes a cement but isn't that for permanent posing/fixtures? Wondering if there is a lighter version of it to look out for or something like that.

Found that some of my other kits have a wobbly area like hip/leg or part and would like to try and eliminate it.

The few kits ive done without any wobble what-so-ever are the Patlabor Ingram 3, R-GyaGya, and MG RX-78 3.0. The rest have -something- that wobbles lol.

The two most popular options these days are future polish and lacquer sealer. If they're not an option apply some super glue on the join and continueslly move it until it dries.

More SEED HD dub cast announcements, from Gundam Global Portal's Facebook page:

Rau Le Creuset - Kevin T. Collins
Murrue Ramius - Carrie Keranen
Natarle Badgiruel - Lisa Ortiz
Mu La Flaga - Tom Wayland
Arnold Neumann - Ben Pronsky
Dalida Lolaha Chandra II - Christian La Monte
Jackie Tonomura - Daniel J. Edwards
Romero Pal - Chris Niosi

Couldn't get Mark Oliver back for Rau, I officially do not give a shit about this and will stick to my old DVD collection.

You probably just can't do a Rau without amping the hammy up to like 15.

Edit:

I just realized that with as melodramatic as Zeta Gundam is it pretty much has the most chilled out versions of Char and Amuro.

AALLx

You can spray top-coat on the peg/joints.

-------------------

Recently watched up to episode 18 of Gundam Wing on Gundaminfo youtube channel (only 18 episodes are up). Last time I saw this show was around 20 years ago. I was a kid then so I thought it was the coolest thing. What I think of it now:
- Heero Yuy is a scrub. Got beat by a Leo an episode in and hasn't accomplished anything so far
- There is something wrong with Releena in the head; the girl's obsessed with Heero to a disturbing degree. She's also bloodthirsty as fuck, so much for being a "Peacecraft"
- Treze is space Hitler
- Zechs and Noin are both complicit with the murder of the Alliance pacifists and are no better than Treze
- Wufei is the smartest of all five Gundam pilots... which doesn't mean much because they're all pretty dumb; he also has a lot of what-the-fuck moments and always leaves you asking "why?"
- Quatre and Sandrock are both absolutely useless; Quatre's only redeeming trait is that he is rich
- Duo's a bro and the only likeable and sensible character in the show
- Trowa's fine if not very boring

I do like that Heero started having character development after his major screwup. And that the Gundams aren't really that all-powerful. I still like it overall, though it's really, really cheesy and really shows its age.

-------------

Ran out of Gundam Wing episodes so decided to re-watch Gundam 00. Just seen the first episode, and I'm reminded why I completely loved the show during its initial run (love up to the Allelujah-Marie arc of S2 at least).

You can spray top-coat on the peg/joints.

-------------------

Recently watched up to episode 18 of Gundam Wing on Gundaminfo youtube channel (only 18 episodes are up). Last time I saw this show was around 20 years ago. I was a kid then so I thought it was the coolest thing. What I think of it now:
- Heero Yuy is a scrub. Got beat by a Leo an episode in and hasn't accomplished anything so far
- There is something wrong with Releena in the head; the girl's obsessed with Heero to a disturbing degree. She's also bloodthirsty as fuck, so much for being a "Peacecraft"
- Treze is space Hitler
- Zechs and Noin are both complicit with the murder of the Alliance pacifists and are no better than Treze
- Wufei is the smartest of all five Gundam pilots... which doesn't mean much because they're all pretty dumb; he also has a lot of what-the-fuck moments and always leaves you asking "why?"
- Quatre and Sandrock are both absolutely useless; Quatre's only redeeming trait is that he is rich
- Duo's a bro and the only likeable and sensible character in the show
- Trowa's fine if not very boring

I do like that Heero started having character development after his major screwup. And that the Gundams aren't really that all-powerful. I still like it overall, though it's really, really cheesy and really shows its age.

-------------

Basically summed up my rewatch of Wing years ago. Wu-Fei is a very undercooked character, with the most baller Gundam in the EW movie. Sorry 4 Barrel Heavy Arms is sick, Deathscythe is always a winner, Wing is way over done, and the only interesting part about Sandrock is it has a cloak for 6 seconds. But that Altron redesign is straight fire.

Anyway!

Started putting together my Legilis Gundam, after painting the parts like... a month ago haha. Forgot how easy HG's can be. An arm that is only like 10 parts total, in three different segments, what magic is this!? A bit disappointed that there are stickers for a few of the yellow accent areas, but yellow parts for others. But every HG has those random moments it seems. Might just take the sticker off and paint it to make it uniform with the rest of it...

Think it looks good already as just a torso, hope to finish it tonight after work.

Wufei is the worst lol. Remember when he loses duel and then just jump down to the deep sea lol.
I think factoring in that Wufei's fighting a battle that he didn't even want to deal with, it's his dead wife's and he named his Gundam after her, it's not hard to see that yeah...dude's a bit bananas.

AALLx

Wufei is the worst lol. Remember when he loses duel and then just jump down to the deep sea lol.

He does a lot of really weird stuff. Shout at wolves, stand on a drifting boat, tell enemies to retreat then kill them anyway, got out of his invincible robot to challenge a guy to a swordfight... it's all so random.

Basically summed up my rewatch of Wing years ago. Wu-Fei is a very undercooked character, with the most baller Gundam in the EW movie. Sorry 4 Barrel Heavy Arms is sick, Deathscythe is always a winner, Wing is way over done, and the only interesting part about Sandrock is it has a cloak for 6 seconds. But that Altron redesign is straight fire.
I'll watch Endless Waltz again after Gundaminfo finishes uploading all 50 episodes, but the angel wings of the Wing Zero Custom was cool but also totally wtf. Why does a robot need bird wings? Does it fly using aerodynamics? Does it flap its wings in space? What was the point?

He does a lot of really weird stuff. Shout at wolves, stand on a drifting boat, tell enemies to retreat then kill them anyway, got out of his invincible robot to challenge a guy to a swordfight... it's all so random.
Regarding the sword fight with Treize, Wufei honored the duel.

AALLx

Regarding the sword fight with Treize, Wufei honored the duel.

A few episodes before he was gleefully murdering soldiers in their sleep and exclaiming that it's their fault for being defenseless. He has repeatedly performed sneak attacks on military bases and has no trouble performing guerilla tactics. he's already thrown honor out of the window.

A few episodes before he was gleefully murdering soldiers in their sleep and exclaiming that it's their fault for being defenseless. He has repeatedly performed sneak attacks on military bases and has no trouble performing guerilla tactics. he's already thrown honor out of the window.
You're expecting consistent logic from a boy that screams at wolves? He seems to be a person that values strength so fought Treize in a duel that Treize wanted. I think Treize and for the most part Zechs are the only characters that don't resort to mob tactics to fight the Gundams. Wufei also ends up respecting Treize...a lot. He gives no fucks for grunts, but I guess he couldn't deny his husbando Treize a good fight.

So I've actually been experimenting with topcoating. I've made two different attempts/experiments.

To start off: I used Krylon. I'm too cheap for Tamiya or anything. At most I may try Testors since I can get that from a Hobby Lobby that's about 40 minutes away, but Krylon I can just go down to Walmart and get.

The first experiment was the HG Providence, which is ancient and I wouldn't cry if it messed up. Learned that all the online tutorials were not kidding about humidity (in my infinite genius I attempted this the day before Tropical Storm Nate rolled in). Got a bit of a frosty look on the blue parts...but hey the grey parts look great! Also, I accidentally got Krylon Colormaster Clear Gloss instead of matte, which btw the gloss is a lie.

After getting Krylon Matte Finish and waiting for the humidty to finally drop, my second experiment (earlier today) was on the salvaged shield and beam rifle from my MG Freedom 2.0 (on which I also applied some waterslide decals for the Freedom that came with the MG Providence Premium Edition). It's only been 10 hours, don't plan on touching it until a full 24 hours have passed but it looks leagues better than my first attempt.

I believe I'm ready to tackle the ZZ Ver. Ka, which should be delivered tomorrow.

AALLx

Tamiya spray cans are expensive, but they're worth what you pay for. I've used them on any weather condition and have never got frosting, and they dry instantly (30 minutes).

I tried using a Mr. Hobby flat due to not finding Tamiya stock, and on my first attempt I got heavy frosting and fingerprint marks. Turns out I didn't shake it enough, something that was never an issue with Tamiya.

Another thing that can ruin your top coat is moving the piece after applying the top coat. I've noticed this once while applying pearl clear, I kept moving the piece while it was still wet, so the top coat started becoming uneven and pooled to one side, resulting in a bumpy and uneven surface.

yami4ct

Or maybe Gundam Wing itself isn't very good outside it's decent mech designs

Just saying haha.

I thought Gundam Wing is bad was finally the accepted opinion outside of people who only watched gundam on Toonami in the 90s?

Hey. At least it gave us good mech design (I will defend both the TV and EW designs) and GotL is good.

I thought Gundam Wing is bad was finally the accepted opinion outside of people who only watched gundam on Toonami in the 90s?

Hey. At least it gave us good mech design (I will defend both the TV and EW designs) and GotL is good.
You guys are breaking my heart. Wing is exactly why I'm back in. It's BECAUSE of my nostalgia for it back when I watched it after work on Toonami.

And with Versus and Gunpla, I'm interested in learning and investing in even more.

Wufei is just Tsundere toward Treize. He even feel sad when he finally slay Treize lol.
So bad that in the future he teams up with Treize's kid...twice.
You guys are breaking my heart. Wing is exactly why I'm back in. It's BECAUSE of my nostalgia for it back when I watched it after work on Toonami.

And with Versus and Gunpla, I'm interested in learning and investing in even more.
I always feel like the only one in here that doesn't hate Wing. It's not perfect, but it's still fun...it's just very 90's.

Top Bottom