• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Gundam |OT2| Another 5 years of Gunpla, Origins, and GUNDAMUUUU!

AALLx

You guys are breaking my heart. Wing is exactly why I'm back in. It's BECAUSE of my nostalgia for it back when I watched it after work on Toonami.

And with Versus and Gunpla, I'm interested in learning and investing in even more.

I've just rewatched it recently with a critical eye so I'm bound to be harsh to it, but I still think fondly of it and would still say that I like it very much. Wing Zero Custom and Epyon are both must haves for any Gunpla builder as well.

If nothing else, I think it's a lot better than Gundam X and Gundam Turn A which I both think is garbage. I'd throw in Age and RecoG in there, but I didn't watch both of it past 2 episodes to actually make that judgement.

I'm sure a lot here are fans of Wing just for nostalgia and being their first Gundam.

NEO0MJ

I've just rewatched it recently with a critical eye so I'm bound to be harsh to it, but I still think fondly of it and would still say that I like it very much. Wing Zero Custom and Epyon are both must haves for any Gunpla builder as well.

If nothing else, I think it's a lot better than Gundam X and Gundam Turn A which I both think is garbage. I'd throw in Age and RecoG in there, but I didn't watch both of it past 2 episodes to actually make that judgement.

I'm sure a lot here are fans of Wing just for nostalgia and being their first Gundam.

You just made an enemy of me :mad:

AALLx

You just made an enemy of me :mad:

Haha, at least a lot of Gaffers seem to love Turn A, so you have that going for you. In contrast, people here seem to absolutely hate Gundam Unicorn, which happened to be my second favorite series (after 08th MS Team).

Haha, at least a lot of Gaffers seem to love Turn A, so you have that going for you. In contrast, people here seem to absolutely hate Gundam Unicorn, which happened to be my second favorite series (after 08th MS Team).
I would not say we absolutely hate Unicorn Gundam. There are parts of it that are fantastic like any of the Sinanju fights, the old Zeon suits being used in Torrington, Bright Fucking Noa and to me that updated classic beam rifle sound for the beam magnum. However there are parts that are quite terrible which usually are anything to do with Riddhe.

Turn A is an excellent show, it's just probably the least Gundam show to me along with G Gundam. Kanno's score is excellent and Queen Dianna and Kihel are both excellent characters.
I would not say we absolutely hate Unicorn Gundam. There are parts of it that are fantastic like any of the Sinanju fights, the old Zeon suits being used in Torrington, Bright Fucking Noa and to me that updated classic beam rifle sound for the beam magnum. However there are parts that are quite terrible which usually are anything to do with Riddhe.
The only people that hate Unicorn out right are the people in the Toonami thread.

Trying being a 0083 fan, bring it up and 50% of the time someone's just around the corner to tell you it's easily the worst Gundam ever because:

1) Nina Purpleton
2) Kou Uraki
3) It's just Top Gun Gundam
0083 has THE best Mobile Armor designs. While you get Nina you also get Cima whom I believe has a tiger rug pelt on the bridge of her ship. Plus there's Anavel Gato.

AALLx

Turn A is an excellent show, it's just probably the least Gundam show to me along with G Gundam. Kanno's score is excellent and Queen Dianna and Kihel are both excellent characters.

The only people that hate Unicorn out right are the people in the Toonami thread.

My biggest issue with Turn A is that the writing was a mess. It was a problem with F91, it was a problem with Brain Powered, it was especially apparent on the first 2 episodes of RecoG. My second problem with it was the terrible design of the Turn A Gundam. Of course, as goes with everything, different strokes for different folks. All I can say is, Tomino's writing isn't for me. And yes, G Gundam is awesome :)

Trying being a 0083 fan, bring it up and 50% of the time someone's just around the corner to tell you it's easily the worst Gundam ever because:

1) Nina Purpleton
2) Kou Uraki

Stardust Memory was really great up until the sudden director switch halfway. The soundtrack was great, Gato is GOAT antagonist, and Neue Ziel is one of the best mobile armors ever. The second half was unfortunate and terrible, but it was still okay overall with a great first half.

0083 has THE best Mobile Armor designs. While you get Nina you also get Cima whom I believe has a tiger rug pelt on the bridge of her ship. Plus there's Anavel Gato.

Oh you don't have to sell me on it! :p I love 0083. Still my favorite Gundam no matter what anyone says.

My biggest issue with Turn A is that the writing was a mess. It was a problem with F91, it was a problem with Brain Powered, it was especially apparent on the first 2 episodes of RecoG. My second problem with it was the terrible design of the Turn A Gundam. Of course, as goes with everything, different strokes for different folks. All I can say is, Tomino's writing isn't for me. And yes, G Gundam is awesome :)

I agree with you on the writing, although I've only watched half of it by this point. Tomino has his own voice and style, one that became particularly defined I think after the OG Gundam. You could kinda see it in Zeta, and then ZZ and etc. By Turn A Tomino is sorta doing his own thing, which gives it a very unique vibe, but not a very refined one. Same with F91, and I'd argue Victory too. He's disconnected himself from standard plotting, character writing etc, and I'd say that it makes everything feel less real or whatever, but maintains it's own Tomino internal logic.

I think it's that Tomino, non-conformist style that either appeals to you or detracts from the experience. It's why, at least from what I've seen, there's a divide between the Gundam fans who love Tomino's efforts and the otherside that prefers the more realistic approach 0080 and such offered.

It's definitely different. It's pretty much Tomino at his best in terms of characters, but the war plotting kind of isn't their to me. The Turn A itself is an acquired taste design wise.
Oh you don't have to sell me on it! :p I love 0083. Still my favorite Gundam no matter what anyone says.
I see you're a man of destiny.

Blader

I thought Gundam Wing is bad was finally the accepted opinion outside of people who only watched gundam on Toonami in the 90s?

Hey. At least it gave us good mech design (I will defend both the TV and EW designs) and GotL is good.

I really liked Wing when it was my baby's first Gundam back in 2000, or whatever it was. Then when I rewatched the series about 10 years later, I still really liked it, but this time for completely different reasons, heh.

I always feel like the only one in here that doesn't hate Wing. It's not perfect, but it's still fun...it's just very 90's.

Yep, you are. I pre-ordered the $200 Blu Ray set even though I hate Wing so much :p

No but seriously, you're not the only one. The ones that hate Wing are just usually more vocal.

He's the winner :)

The Kou vs. Gato fight scenes are some of the best fights in Gundam.
Also let's not forget that South Burning is a G...him and Norris...
Yep, you are. I pre-ordered the $200 Blu Ray set even though I hate Wing so much :p

No but seriously, you're not the only one. The ones that hate Wing are just usually more vocal.
Lol same here. My wallet's weeping this year between camera stuff and that box set. I need to replace the ancient DVD's I have so bad. I can't skip the Sunrise intro shit and I have old toonami gunpla ads on them I think.

1) Nina Purpleton
2) Kou Uraki
It being Top Gun Gundam is what makes it among the best of the UC Gundam shows in my opinion. That and 08th MS Team are in my Top 10 Gundam shows partially because it is just ace pilots fighting each other without any of the Newtype shenanigans.

muteki

There aren't really many Gundam shows/movies that I would say are just bad or that I hate outright, but there are shows that I get sick of when I feel they get too much attention Gunpla/Games/etc. wise. Unicorn (the mobile suit, not the show) falls into that category for me.

It being Top Gun Gundam is what makes it among the best of the UC Gundam shows in my opinion. That and 08th MS Team are in my Top 10 Gundam shows partially because it is just ace pilots fighting each other without any of the Newtype shenanigans.
I didn't think Shiro was considered an ace pilot. Granted he did disable a super Gouf thing with a ball. Could just be that Aina's a shit pilot.

I didn't think Shiro was considered an ace pilot. Granted he did disable a super Gouf thing with a ball. Could just be that Aina's a shit pilot.
In terms of tactics I feel that Shiro is an Ace pilot in that alone. Plus he was able to hold his own against Norris Packard which is saying something.

AALLx

I thought Shiro got his clock cleaned only winning after catching Norris by surprise. I really need to watch 08th MS Team again.

Shiro won the battle but lost the war. Norris managed to take down almost all the guncannons, and managed to take down the last one in exchange for taking a bullet from Shiro.

Shiro won the battle but lost the war. Norris managed to take down almost all the guncannons, and managed to take down the last one in exchange for taking a bullet from Shiro.
Ok thanks, it's been awhile. I think I just took the EZ8 getting knocked out power wise as an initial win for Norris.

How expansive is the custom Gundam market? Can you make complete originals or just mods to existing suits?

I ask because I've basically created fanfic for my own series in my head while at work all week haha.

Well look who decided to drop in today.

22430287_355645221548940_2118456566796517376_n.jpg

Most people would go "ANIME JA NAI" here, but I'm more of a "Silent Voice" guy.

MechaX

Man, Mark Oliver did the ham so well after Rau's Big Bad reveal. Up until that he nailed the "calm, calculating voice", then dialed the ham up to 11 at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Awfq95GSSo

But apparently this new guy voiced Griffith in the Berserk movies? So, maybe he can pull it off. Still don't have my hopes up.

On the bright side, he also did Griffith in the original Berserk series as well and is a really good voice actor.

On the other hand... watch the Berserk Outtakes and realize that you will never be able to take him 100% seriously ever again.

On the bright side, he also did Griffith in the original Berserk series as well and is a really good voice actor.

On the other hand... watch the Berserk Outtakes and realize that you will never be able to take him 100% seriously ever again.

Oh, he did both? I watched the series dubbed, the movies I only saw subbed.

And I had forgotten those outtakes...

Wait that's him. Oliver's a clown then and the outtakes are hilarious. I wonder if he's going to make up a song about the world of Seed. Dude loves to sing.

AALLx

How expansive is the custom Gundam market? Can you make complete originals or just mods to existing suits?

I ask because I've basically created fanfic for my own series in my head while at work all week haha.

It depends? Where do you reside? Best case scenario is Japan since you can easily acquire whatever you need there. Otherwise you have to know where you can import the stuff that you want/need.

What tools do you have? Do you have a 3D printer? Do you have easy access to pla plates? Do you know how to cast resin?

What do you want to do? Do you just want custom colors? Custom panel lines (scribing)? Simple kitbash (putting together different gunplas)? Completely custom parts (you either need a 3D printer, pla plates, or resin)?

Remember, Gunpla is Freedom! You are only limited by your imagination. I suggest watching the Build Fighters and Try series if you want some inspiration. Also, here's a sample of a Gunpla Builders World Cup to see the stuff that contestants do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp_Dk0gtGYI. You can easily search youtube for similar stuff.

Sweet. I'd be tempted to get that just for the sake of being a new MG and I'm a sucker for just the building process alone, but I haven't seen ZZ yet and the aesthetics of the ZZ is a bit miss for me. Maybe if it was the Tryon 3 variant...

muteki

Very jealous. Looks stellar from the pictures I've seen.

Hope to have more time/money by end of the month and will pick him up. I only ever had the MG FAZZ before which had many compromises on top of the old ZZ which wasn't too great back then even. Looking forward to the upgrade.

It depends? Where do you reside? Best case scenario is Japan since you can easily acquire whatever you need there. Otherwise you have to know where you can import the stuff that you want/need.

What tools do you have? Do you have a 3D printer? Do you have easy access to pla plates? Do you know how to cast resin?

What do you want to do? Do you just want custom colors? Custom panel lines (scribing)? Simple kitbash (putting together different gunplas)? Completely custom parts (you either need a 3D printer, pla plates, or resin)?

Remember, Gunpla is Freedom! You are only limited by your imagination. I suggest watching the Build Fighters and Try series if you want some inspiration. Also, here's a sample of a Gunpla Builders World Cup to see the stuff that contestants do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp_Dk0gtGYI. You can easily search youtube for similar stuff.

Well I'm only JUST getting into this stuff. I just built my first HG and saw the first episode of a build fighters and most of what I know of the subject is from the last couple pages of this thread and a YT vid I watched on how to add paint, damage and glue to make them look better.

I decided to ask here before looking to be more involved but I was wondering if they sold generic, custom parts and if all parts are universally swappable (amongst the same grades/scale only I imagine).

A lot of what you described is out of my league so I guess I'll hold off on custom Gundams haha.

AALLx

I decided to ask here before looking to be more involved but I was wondering if they sold generic, custom parts and if all parts are universally swappable (amongst the same grades/scale only I imagine).

Yup, those are called Builders Parts:

They also sometimes sell expansion parts for certain kits that have additional weapons, parts, etc.

Certain kit lines are also swappable with one another. Specifically the HGBF and HGIBO kits. And as long as there's a polycap, you can always swap one thing with another.

Yup, those are called Builders Parts:

They also sometimes sell expansion parts for certain kits that have additional weapons, parts, etc.

Certain kit lines are also swappable with one another. Specifically the HGBF and HGIBO kits. And as long as there's a polycap, you can always swap one thing with another.
Huh. Well I just ordered the 4 other G Wing EW 1/144 (with battle action) sets to go with my Deathscythe I just built. I should also order the necessary items to go all out with detail.

I'll look into more advanced stuff after if my son decides this is a hobby he wants to continue with me beyond the Wing line. Thanks for the info, btw.

Finished my HG Legilis Gundam. Love the design, wish I had a larger more detailed scale of it. The random yellow stickers instead of a yellow part to paint gold was annoying, but thats more on me for not paying attention to which stickers were going to be where. Also no idea how to make it hold the rifle lol, but only tried for a minute.

Wanna start my Khimaris Vidar today but seems like I caught a cold... which ALWAYS happens when I finish a kit. Seriously whats going on with that...

NEO0MJ

Finished my HG Legilis Gundam. Love the design, wish I had a larger more detailed scale of it. The random yellow stickers instead of a yellow part to paint gold was annoying, but thats more on me for not paying attention to which stickers were going to be where. Also no idea how to make it hold the rifle lol, but only tried for a minute.

Wanna start my Khimaris Vidar today but seems like I caught a cold... which ALWAYS happens when I finish a kit. Seriously whats going on with that...

Legilis is one of the few (only?) decent things to come out of age.

As for your cold, you probably exhausted yourself while building and stayed up late. That leaves your body vulnerable to sickness.

Kalentan

As far as I can tell this is the announced new dub actors for SEED:

Kira - Max Mittelman
Athrun - Chris Hackney
Lacus - Stephanie Sheh
Haro - Sandy Fox
Cagalli - Cherami Leigh
Flay - Erica Mendez
Sai - Lucien Dodge
Miriallia - Cassandra Morris
Tolle - Colin DePaula
Kuzzey - Eddy Lee
Yzak - Daman Mills
Dearka - Johnny Yong Bosch
Nicol - Casey Mongillo
Rau Le Creuset - Kevin T. Collins
Murrue Ramius - Carrie Keranen
Natarle Badgiruel - Lisa Ortiz
Mu La Flaga - Tom Wayland
Arnold Neumann - Ben Pronsky
Dalida Lolaha Chandra II - Christian La Monte
Jackie Tonomura - Daniel J. Edwards
Romero Pal - Chris Niosi

Honestly not sold on this cast despite there being some decent talent there.

Losing Mark Oliver as Rau Le Creuset, Trevor Devall as Mu La Flaga, and others just kind of ruin it.

It's not like the original is going anywhere it's just that I would have liked to hear their voices again with new footage/HD.

Legilis is one of the few (only?) decent things to come out of age.

As for your cold, you probably exhausted yourself while building and stayed up late. That leaves your body vulnerable to sickness.

I usually don't stay up too late when building, aside from the Patlabor which I was up til like... 5 or 6 making. But I do stay up for way too long on weekends. Dang near 20+ hours with going out at night, waking up at l9 or 10am after being out til around 5 or 6am just cause of my own internal clock being annoying lol.

Especially this weekend I was super tired so I guess it just caught up to me, and I tend to do my gunpla stuff on the weekend as well lol. But when you meet some awesome people from Hong Kong who want to hang out for 3 days straight til 7am
two of three of which being extremely beautiful
you stay out haha.

Blah. Had a small bit of Gundam Marker run on my ZZ ver Ka after topcoating. On the face of all places, but unless you're right up on it I guess it's not too noticeable. I could probably clean that up with lighter fluid or rubbing alcohol?

Here's my WIP pics. Core Top is done and topcoated, gonna work on the legs and backpack (Core Base) next, and hope the humidity is still low when I'm done so I won't have to wait another few days to topcoat those (fuck Alabama weather btw).

And about the premium decals, it looks like they only cover the main body and backpack of the ZZ. There were none for the wing shields or the double beam rifle, but they don't clash too badly with the regular ones, imo.

Build so far has been surprisingly simple. I think the legs are where things will get fun. Same with the transformation.

NEO0MJ

But when you meet some awesome people from Hong Kong who want to hang out for 3 days straight til 7am
two of three of which being extremely beautiful
you stay out haha.

rTAeUmi.gif

Build so far has been surprisingly simple. I think the legs are where things will get fun. Same with the transformation.

Legs are often the most difficult parts of any kit, especially transforming ones.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Blah. Had a small bit of Gundam Marker run on my ZZ ver Ka after topcoating. On the face of all places, but unless you're right up on it I guess it's not too noticeable. I could probably clean that up with lighter fluid or rubbing alcohol?

Here's my WIP pics. Core Top is done and topcoated, gonna work on the legs and backpack (Core Base) next, and hope the humidity is still low when I'm done so I won't have to wait another few days to topcoat those (fuck Alabama weather btw).

And about the premium decals, it looks like they only cover the main body and backpack of the ZZ. There were none for the wing shields or the double beam rifle, but they don't clash too badly with the regular ones, imo.

Nice. And yeah, some isopropyl alcohol will clean that up np.

duckroll

I'm halfway through Origin VIII now and holy fucking shit. The entire Miharu arc. God damn. How is this manga so good? How? HOW???????

So I've been mulling over my impending Altron... Think imma do the yellow parts gold and top it with gloss coat.

Been super tempted to buy a second one ever since it was announced to get resupplied to do my custom paint job, but I backed out on it since its expensive. If I see one sitting on the shelf somewhere in the next few weeks then maybe...

-edit-

It's here!
Domestic shipping in Japan remains unmatched.

Top Bottom