• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hateful Eight screener leaked ahead of official release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why the Academy doesn't re-think their system astounds me. Every single year, almost every theatrical release that's submitted leaks.

how would you do it?
in the end it doesn't matter much. lots of pirates wouldn't go see the movie in the cinemas anyway.

so these old people are the reason why they never leak blu-ray screener rips? because they don't have a fucking blu-ray player?.

nobody young i know has one outside of those who have a gaming console.
the DVD section in stores is still much much bigger.

kneePat

so that's the reason? because those older academy members don't have a blu-ray player?

is this real life.

That isn't the reason. DVD screeners have existed for a long period of time. They were even prominent during the height of VHS availability.

I don't think we will see blu-ray screeners to the extent of DVD screeners primarly because of HDCP. You can much more easily trace DVD screeners to its source than you can a ripped blu-ray.

liquidtmd

Banned
how would you do it?

Do multiple public invite screening sessions voters can attend at locations convienant to themselves in private function rooms.

If they can't attend any of them, tell them to go fuck themselves.

If as a company I was faced with this happening vs. some stubborn fucks not getting a copy of the movie on DVD to watch, I'd make that call.

Disney has had their movies leaked out through screeners before, it's not an anomaly as long as they sent them.

Sure, but does Disney really need to have the academy send out screeners for Star Wars? Granted other major December releases have leaked (I'm pretty sure all three Hobbit movies did among others) in the past so I guess it's possible but I'll be shocked if one gets leaked.

Rembrandt

Banned
so these old people are the reason why they never leak blu-ray screener rips? because they don't have a fucking blu-ray player?

not that i would ever download anything like that because it is forbidden by law, but still, the whole thought shakes me to my inner core, and makes me contemplate my very existence; it is very unsettling.

imagine watching the revenant or the tree of life on dvd.

imagine.

It's not that deep.

Do multiple public invite screening sessions voters can attend at locations convienant to themselves in private function rooms.

If they can't attend any of them, tell them to go fuck themselves.

If as a company I was faced with this happening vs. some stubborn fucks not getting a copy of the movie on DVD to watch, I'd make that call.

the academy has like 6000 members all over the world. most of them are super rich, busy and live all over the world. they wouldn't show up.

trA34nE.jpg

No one refuses The Mouse, no one.

Sheroking

how would you do it?
in the end it doesn't matter much. lots of pirates wouldn't go see the movie in the cinemas anyway.

Eh... you talk as though there's some small minority of people torrenting this stuff. It's literally millions of people. They lose money when these leak for sure.

As for how they do it? Simple. Secure, code-based access to a streaming service that allows one viewing. Members of the academy aren't directly leaking these, the people who have access to them and their screeners are. No more screeners, far fewer leaks.

Lunaniem

Sure, but does Disney really need to have the academy send out screeners for Star Wars? Granted other major December releases have leaked (I'm pretty sure all three Hobbit movies did among others) in the past so I guess it's possible but I'll be shocked if one gets leaked.

If Disney wants it nominated, it happens.

I'm just as surprised they still use this system today.

Mistle

That sucks. Mainly for the people who watch it like this.. This movie is pushing a 70mm roadshow and people are going to watch a low quality DVD rip perhaps even with a watermark?

Still can't believe people watch camrips, too.

yikes now do I watch this screener today or wait until the 70mm showing I'm going to...

I can wait...sicario leaked too that'll tide me over

Sheroking

That sucks. Mainly for the people who watch it like this.. This movie is pushing a 70mm roadshow and people are going to watch a low quality DVD rip perhaps even with a watermark?

The amount of people who prefer to watch movies in their own home, for free utterly dwarf the amount of people who even know the relevance of 70mm.

Theorry

Camrips suck. These are just fine quality and no watermarks.

DiscoJer

Given how much money Hollywood has, you'd think they just send them on a laptop or something similar. Sort of like the set up for a demo kiosk for video games, only for the movies.

ZeroX03

Banned
Star Wars screeners don't need to be sent out. It's the one movie you can guarantee nobody in the Academy will miss. Half of them are probably members in large part because of the original trilogy.

Sheroking

Star Wars screeners don't need to be sent out. It's the one movie you can guarantee nobody in the Academy will miss. Half of them are probably members in large part because of the original trilogy.

Heh.

The median age of an Academy member is 62. You're as likely to find someone who looks down on genre pictures as you are to find someone who is in the business because of Star Wars. Though I guess they did vote en masse for Star Wars fourty years ago, so whatever.

Aiii

So not worth it
I'd imagine they do. I have plenty of mates who want to see Creed and The Hateful eight in the cinema. I know for a fact they won't go now.

If that is so than it seems to me that a ton of people would rather watch films at home than at the cinema. If only there was a way you could get these people a legal alternative so you could still get their money instead of them resorting to piracy. Hmmmm.

ZeroX03

Banned
Heh.

The median age of an Academy member is 62. You're as likely to find someone who looks down on genre pictures as you are to find someone who is in the business because of Star Wars.

Meaning a median age of 24 when the original came out. Star Wars hype transcends genre snobbery.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
This does tend to happen around this time of year. Almost guarantee it was an Academy Award screener.

Wasn't pretty much every Best Picture nominee leaked by this time last year?

jesu

I seem to remember in the 90's, screeners of Tarantino's films would always release early, ahem.
I won't be watching but I suppose I might have to be careful of spoilers again.

Alpende

I don't even want to see a screener of this. I'd rather pay money and see it on the big screen. Same goes for The Revenant.

The revenant has been leaked as well? Damn that's tempting. I wish they rolled the movie out nationwide on the 25th instead of holding wide release back to jan 9th. Come on willpower don't fail me now

Grinchy

Banned
What kind of weirdo would want to watch a leaked screener for a Tarantino movie? I mean, if you're going to pirate it, at least wait for a quality rip. Don't watch it like this...

His films don't come around often enough.

What kind of weirdo would want to watch a leaked screener for a Tarantino movie? I mean, if you're going to pirate it, at least wait for a quality rip. Don't watch it like this...

His films don't come around often enough.
Screeners are reasonable quality rips. It's not like a camcorder version.

Drazgul

The revenant has been leaked as well? Damn that's tempting. I wish they rolled the movie out nationwide on the 25th instead of holding wide release back to jan 9th. Come on willpower don't fail me now

At crappy DVD quality? Not tempted at all, I'd hate to ruin the first viewing like that.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
so these old people are the reason why they never leak blu-ray screener rips? because they don't have a fucking blu-ray player?

not that i would ever download anything like that because it is forbidden by law, but still, the whole thought shakes me to my inner core, and makes me contemplate my very existence; it is very unsettling.

imagine watching the revenant or the tree of life on dvd.

imagine.

They're getting better. Most of my (Emmy) screeners still come as (sometimes infuriatingly partial series) DVDs, but some of the cooler studios send digital codes so you can watch in HD with decent surround. I don't think I've ever gotten a Blu Ray. And you know full well the creators are caught between quality and piracy.

There's so much wasteful packaging and material (although some of it is gorgeous - there's something super frustrating about a limited edition but incomplete box set of GoT at DVD res) that I wish it were ALL digital now, but as you fear, there are also a huge number of dusty old people voting.

WHICH IS WHY ALWAYS SUNNY GETS ROBBED EVERY YEAR.

At crappy DVD quality? Not tempted at all, I'd hate to ruin the first viewing like that.

Seems like sub-dvd quality. I've got my 70mm tickets in hand already, so I won't be watching this. I may use it to reference back to scenes between now and when it gets released on 4k blu-ray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom